Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 tubingo
Member since 2015 • 57 Posts

Hello everyone.

Thank you guys who have initiated and contributed for such a useful forum. I’m a newbie here.

Coincidently, I’m from Vietnam like Dong Nguyen – the developer of Flappy Bird that was once topped many game charts out there. After Flappy Bird, I saw a tornado of Flappy Bird style games. Basically, they are lightweight games with very simple gameplay but very hard to score. They’re addictive games.

An outstanding case is Ketchapp. Ketchapp has a firm and clear opinion in game strategy – they create only Flappy Bird style games. Anyway, Ketchapp is a giant succeeder in game business. Along with Ketchapp, there are thousands of developers who focus on the same genre.

Personally, I love Flappy Bird style games, but I just love them for a short time before quickly getting fed up with. One reason I think is that gameplay is boring. It’s the same all the time. One UI, one play mode, the constant challenge,… Nothing sudden, nothing surprising.

How long do you guys think this trend will last? Will it end soon?

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#2  Edited By Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

What Trend?

Last time i heard about flappy bird (which by the way is a clear rip-off of Helicopter a old flash game) was around the time he went insane and took it down. after that i haven't even seen anyone play it.

Xanatos357

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#3 Xanatos357
Member since 2015 • 787 Posts

@Jacanuk: Same here, I was pretty sure the trend had already died

-ParaNormaN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By -ParaNormaN-
Member since 2013 • 1573 Posts

Flappy bird died like 2 or 3 years ago. Pretty sure most people who had that game on their phones bought new ones and weren't able to download it ever again since the owner had it taken out of the digital stores. What year are you from?

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#5 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

Seems like it died off a while back. If anything, it just proved how soulless and unoriginal mobile gaming can be. I never played the actual version of the game, but I very briefly played a few clones and it was mildly entertaining... for like 5 minutes. Then I was sick of it because it's as repetitive and shallow as a game can get.

tubingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 tubingo

Thank you guys for responses. By mentioning Flappy Bird Style I mean the kind of lightweight games that are very easy to play and hard to gain points (sorry if this confused you guys). There's usually just one play mode and the difficulty is almost constant along the gameplay. I play many Ketchapp games like The Line Zen, Stick Hero, Arrow,... They all reflect my aforementioned point. Those games attracted me for a short time, really got fed up soon.

ashioo7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ashioo7
Member since 2015 • 9 Posts

Who said the trend has died . Now there are even games like flappy bieber

http://www.goipl.tk

tubingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 tubingo

@ashioo7: Oh man. Your game is fun. Much harder than Flappy Bird. By the way, the typo "beiber" is intentional? Otherwise, you should correct it.

uriweru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 uriweru
Member since 2015 • 48 Posts

It was a nice little game when it first came out but after a while it became very boring. He developed Swing Copters as well but imo the game wasn't very good.

Avatar image for Smashbrossive50
Smashbrossive50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10  Edited By Smashbrossive50
Member since 2009 • 3915 Posts

and this is why I am against mobile gaming to a decree,in this case,it's about floating up and down the obstacles and making a high score by means of preset difficulties...reminds me of that of a chopper game,it's all the same on the theory and practice,really.

the formula of mobile gaming

1. it's obviously for phones or tablets(not that of WiiU's gamepad mind you)
  2. it has microtransactions inside a freemium,some worth as much as a small crate of premium liquors
  3. they don't last very long,because there's a lot more of short flashing joys in line to become a "trend"
  4. they are asking you if you would like to hook up the game to a social media for a lazy reward
  5. they frequently update,even when it's not a big deal.
  6. mobile gamers no longer use CDs or other storage devices...

if I miss anything,please let me know...Flappy Bird will never flap through the pipes if the majority jeers upon it,but I can't help it,as I do not support games that wastes more time than either consoles,or handhelds,such as Sony PSP series or Nintendo DS family.

it's all about attention,the biggest to stand will get more spotlight than the rest,believing that others are to be overestimated whereas the spotlight's isn't

ashioo7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ashioo7
Member since 2015 • 9 Posts

@tubingo Thanks ,really appreciate it man. Would be glad if you told about it to your friends. And yes the beiber is intentional.

tubingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By tubingo

@Smashbrossive50: A agreed with you on points. Flappy Bird is kind of boring (just for me) after a short time. The game offered no surprises, the challenge remained constant. Of course, Dong Nguyen did a great job, I adore what he did. OK, we both agree that Flappy Bird style is not attractive anymore, do you have any idea about the tremendous success that Ketchapp is gaining? Ketchappstudio.com develops the same game genre.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#13 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

Completely forgot that game existed.

tubingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By tubingo

OK, we can forget about Flappy Bird as its effect ended. Who can figure out the enormous success that Ketchapp is following? Majority of Ketchapp's games are easy to play, challenging to score, just similar to Flappy Bird.

Don't get me wrong. I'm mentioning a game trend that Flappy Bird is just one among others. The trend of games that Ketchapp has been making.