This topic is locked from further discussion.

newhenpal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 newhenpal
Member since 2005 • 2159 Posts

Is there an fps that was made for 16:9? Most fps' are usually made with 4:3 in mind and if you want widescreen it will strech it (for widescreen compatible games it makes it look like it isn't streched but it still is isn't it?) I'm not exactly sure how an fps made for widescreens in mind would look like, if the guy is dual weilding then there will be a HUGE gap between them.

Ranger_x8b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#2 Ranger_x8b
Member since 2002 • 5840 Posts
I'm not that big on console FPS's, so I'll let someone else answer for that part of the gaming world. For PC, pretty much all games today are natively coming in widescreen format. For somewhat older games, you can actually tinker with some of the config files or type in commands in-game to force non-widescreen games to display a true widescreen picture.
GoPhins123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 GoPhins123
Member since 2005 • 3655 Posts
I'm not sure but I think Resistence can be played on wide screen.
newhenpal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 newhenpal

But my question is (sorta confusing) how exactly do games built for widescreens look, because we normally think '4:3' when we see, not widescreen (real life) so when a widescreen fps is made will it look weird and will the guns be put at the far end of the screen like 4:3 games or will it be more near the center (Told you it was confusing)

Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts
Most recent games made within the past 2 years will have good widescreen support. The general way of handling widescreen is that you will have a wider field of view, which means you'll be able to see more on your left or right. Some games, like Bioshock, will actually cut off the top and bottom.

Regardless, most recent games won't look "stretched" like you're referring to. Just go ahead and look through screenshots of recent games to see for yourself.
IndianaJosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 IndianaJosh
Member since 2003 • 5159 Posts
This is how it looks: http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/half-life-2/567433p1.html

By the way, our vision isn't nearly 4:3. Humans see much more lengthwise than we see heightwise.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#7 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts
Console ones aren't. Newer PC titles are. Widescreen is a new concept in the gaming industry it seems.
subrosian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 subrosian
Member since 2005 • 14232 Posts
Take the 4:3 image you're starring at now, now imagine there's simply more area to the left and right of your screen. Your character remains *exactly* the same size, you now simply see more to the left and right. That's what widescreen gaming is. You're worrying about it *far* too much - the developers took care of the field-of-view, cropping, et cetera issues.

In games with native widecreen support, you simply set a widescreen resolution, and it takes care of itself. In games without it, you'll have to enable it in config files or in the command line to run the game. Either way, widescreen on any modern PC works just fine.
newhenpal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 newhenpal

Okay but there's still one question that hasn't been anwsered, in an fpsgame that supports native widescreen and includes dual weilding does it seem weird considering there is a huge gap unlike 4:3 games which seem normal I've never seen a widescreen fps with dual weilding so I don't know how it would look.

IndianaJosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 IndianaJosh
Member since 2003 • 5159 Posts

Why would it seem weird? What huge gap are you talking about? It's not that huge of a difference.

duncanr2n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 duncanr2n
Member since 2003 • 2449 Posts

If you want to see a bunch of screens comparing 16:9 (Widescreen TV), 16:10 (Widescreen monitors), and 4:3 (Standard) you should go to http://www.widescreengamingforum.com

You can go to the http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/wiki/index.php/Master_Games_List_-_A which will show you whether a game can support widescreen resolutions and if they can how it does it (stretch, hor+, or ver-) and how to get it working. There's a suprising number of games out there that support widescreen resolutions properly (with some tweaking) that were released before widescreens on PCs became the norm. For example, I run Total Annihilation at 1920x1200 and it works flawlessly.