Why Should Violence & Hatred Always Be The Center of Gameplay?

• 87 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Mawy_Golomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 Mawy_Golomb
Member since 2008 • 1047 Posts

I used to be like most of the people here. I enjoyed violence and knew little to nothing about how the media influences society. But now, I have a far greater understanding of mass media. In addition, I am more religious. And as a result of having looked at a realistic depiction of the emotions that surround violence as well as how violence looks, I no longer feel joy in it. In fact, I am a nonviolent individual, having studied the ways of Gandhi's philosophy of Satyagraha and MLK's philosophy of Christian Satyagraha, which both teach people to be nonviolent.

As we look upon many of the popular things in mass media, we see that violence and sex, as well as hatred are often glorified. This is truly the case in the video games industry. Almost every game offers violence as the only option for moving throughout a storyline. Sure, cut scenes have dialogue and other things, but that is not interactivity. Why do games not make full use of interactivity, to the point where dialogue can be done in real time as well as many other non-violent things? Well, many people in mass media know that stereotypes and other unrealistic expectations are easy to sell to a huge audience and they deceive many people. That is why most of the content that we see not only displays violence, it glorifies it. Look at the theme of revenge. How many times has it ever been deglorified? Even William Shakespeare's plays glorified it.

Has the whole world gone mad? Why do we need to continue seeing violence and hatred at the center of gameplay?

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts
You already made a board just like this one, and everyone called you silly. What makes you think this one will be different?
mattykovax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#3 mattykovax
Member since 2004 • 22693 Posts
You already made a board just like this one, and everyone called you silly. What makes you think this one will be different?JML897
I second this.Not only are there non-violent games,but violence is part of the human condition. And the bible is one of the most violent books I ever read,some of it in gods command. I am not talking about the crusades,I mean in the OT when god tells them to kill all non isrealites for example. What about the romans. Or persia. Or 5000 other examples. Even the ways of peace extend from and because of violent philosophy. Videogames did not create any of this. In fact,its probably one of the safest ways to explore violence in fantasy without any real harm to anyone ever invented. Stop abusing the new topic button,please.
Foolio1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#4 Foolio1
Member since 2003 • 7467 Posts
Reading this topic the first thing that popped into my head was Flower. There are obviously exceptions to this rule of violence.
pygmahia5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 pygmahia5
Member since 2007 • 7428 Posts
well violence in society usually ends in you getting arrested, or even worse. id rather get the thrill of doing it in a virtual world and not get penalized :)
mattykovax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mattykovax
well violence in society usually ends in you getting arrested, or even worse. id rather get the thrill of doing it in a virtual world and not get penalized :)pygmahia5
Thats what I ma saying. If the romans had halo maybe they would not have felt the need to feed people to lions,or have gladiator battles to pass a saturday afternoon. the TC does not seem to realize,this all exsisted long before there was any "media" to brainwash us.
pygmahia5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 pygmahia5
[QUOTE="pygmahia5"]well violence in society usually ends in you getting arrested, or even worse. id rather get the thrill of doing it in a virtual world and not get penalized :)mattykovax
Thats what I ma saying. If the romans had halo maybe they would not have felt the need to feed people to lions,or have gladiator battles to pass a saturday afternoon. the TC does not seem to realize,this all exsisted long before there was any "media" to brainwash us.

we're all a little slow sometime ;) .
GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
There are lots of non violent games to enjoy if thats what floats your boat. Tetris, Puzzle Quest, Flower, Braid, any racing game, most sports games, Guitar heros, rock bands thats a lot of games right there and thats just off the top of my head. I dont think its sooo much an over glorification of violence per se, but action games, fighting games and the like are a protaginist vs antagonist climax build set in extreme situations were violence is the only logical course of action. Such as shooting enemys soliders in a WW2 game or whatnot. There are lots of non violent games out there though for you to enjoy so I wouldnt worry too much about it. Violence is a part of nature and embedded deep in our genes, in the grand scheme of things we are just more intelligent animals fighting off our baser instincts. Between pacifist and agressor most people fall in the middle ground which is the most logical choice.
Mawy_Golomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Mawy_Golomb
And what? Finding sadness and truth in what violence and hatred bring is too overwhelming for you? I will bet that you never really have felt the true horror of violence and hatred. Instead, you have been keeping most of your life swallowed up by happiness and laughter, that you do not even know the meaning of sadness. Most people fear sadness, so maybe they do not want to bring that into their games. They must be ignorant like the majority of our society.
martialbullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 martialbullet
Member since 2006 • 10948 Posts
That isn't always the case. There are deifinitely games that have nothing to do violence at all. Yeah, most popular video games today are violent, but I guess the reason for that is that is that violence in media seems to attract. People understand that it's not real and in a way, it is to escape reality. It if did have any negative effects on normal people, society would have been down the drain long ago. As for hatred, that isn't necessarily the subject of what violent video games are about.
Iceman8012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#11 Iceman8012
Member since 2004 • 827 Posts

Do you know why they put violence in the media and video games?

It is because it is in our instinct to kill. Whether you like it or not we all have that side of us we seem to avoid so much. Our species in general for thousands of years hunted and KILLED to fight for survival. These instincts, like many other animal's instincts, are natural and have just built up over generations and generations. Saying violence isn't necessary is like is like telling a little kid not to play on the playground or even look at it. Just the sight of violence curbs our enthusiasm for violence, at least for most people. There are those sick freaks out there who just kill for s***s and giggles and those are the real sick people.

Exposure to violence can be a good thing if taken right. It just shows the reality of our world and the violence that occurs whether you like it or not. But now I am getting close to political here and I don't want to go too far. My point is that violence is in our blood (figuratively) and we as humans love to see violence and sex. Sex and Violence, Violence and Sex; they both sell and that is why video games are so based on violence.

So when I see these threads I always wonder why people don't look at that POV

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
And what? Finding sadness and truth in what violence and hatred bring is too overwhelming for you? I will bet that you never really have felt the true horror of violence and hatred. Instead, you have been keeping most of your life swallowed up by happiness and laughter, that you do not even know the meaning of sadness. Most people fear sadness, so maybe they do not want to bring that into their games. They must be ignorant like the majority of our society.Mawy_Golomb
Jesus I knew I shouldnt have replied, its like I know better but I just cant help myself. Too bad I dont have your insight and superior knowledge on the situation like you captain know it all. I don't know sadness, or horror, or violence? Thats a pretty bold assumption on your part to make. Thats like me making an assumption that you're a bored 16 year old kid from a middle class family that dosent actually know the first thing about what hes talking about, pretty presumtious eh? Anyways this is getting far and away from being relevant to games, as I have already listed a lot that are non violent and fun and theres a lot more besides that so your point regarding gaming is moot, denied. Your point regarding western civilization being violence obssesed I cannot deny you though, so I agree there.
Assassin_87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Assassin_87
Member since 2004 • 2349 Posts
I would agree with you that glorification of violence in video games is a major issue, if I wasn't completely sane and thus take the violence in context. That is to say: it's a freakin' game dude.
Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

Do you know why they put violence in the media and video games?

It is because it is in our instinct to kill. Whether you like it or not we all have that side of us we seem to avoid so much. Our species in general for thousands of years hunted and KILLED to fight for survival. These instincts, like many other animal's instincts, are natural and have just built up over generations and generations. Saying violence isn't necessary is like is like telling a little kid not to play on the playground or even look at it. Just the sight of violence curbs our enthusiasm for violence, at least for most people. There are those sick freaks out there who just kill for s***s and giggles and those are the real sick people.

Exposure to violence can be a good thing if taken right. It just shows the reality of our world and the violence that occurs whether you like it or not. But now I am getting close to political here and I don't want to go too far. My point is that violence is in our blood (figuratively) and we as humans love to see violence and sex. Sex and Violence, Violence and Sex; they both sell and that is why video games are so based on violence.

So when I see these threads I always wonder why people don't look at that POV

Iceman8012
I agree, it is within our instincts. However I do need to point out that the instinct vary from person to person, you have those sick degenerates that kill for thrills outside of the virtual world and you have those that can't stand the sight of a single violent act. Everybody is different. Media shows and glorifies violence for two reasons. Reason 1. They inform us off how violent the world can be, wars,murder, assault, genocide etc. It shows us so we can reach out in an attempt to help make it stop. To aid the victims living in the middle of all the violence and tragedy. As much as we are violent, we are also compassionate and offer help if person requires it. Reason 2. It stimulates our violent nature, like the colloseum, but with a significant difference, we watch shows and movies where People are "killed". Each and every Violent movie, are fake. They give us violence where nobody is hurt and everybody walks home to their wives and family after the filming is over. Videogames are essentially the same as the Movies but this time you are in control and like mentioned earlier, Stimulating ones violent nature further by giving you control. It is essentially to satisfy our natural urge by letting us harm rendered models that are made by nothing but numbers. If you ask me, I'd much rather have people watch violence and satisfy their natural urge that way then to have them walk outside and harm others to satisfy it.
Avatar image for just_nonplussed
just_nonplussed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#15 just_nonplussed
Member since 2006 • 4130 Posts

contact and collision are central to gameplay - it's how we help define the term 'interaction'. these forces are apart of our universe and are reflected upon the earth and in our lives and in the game.

'violence' can take many forms and ideas and is often placed over this layer of casuality (cause and effect; physics) to represent what you're experiencing and how you are experiencing it (in the form of graphics; models, textures, animations etc.)

force, speed, and contact are almost essential for video games. if you want to blame something then blame the imaginations of the designers, but the medium of games are innately suited to these violent experiences.

Insurrection4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Insurrection4
Member since 2007 • 197 Posts

I hate these threads. I really do. There are always two types of people in these kind of threads. The one guy that wants violence abolished from every form of entertainment and everyone else. Removing violence from video games will do nothing. If you don't want to play violent games, be my guest. But don't expect anyone else to follow suit.

Edit: Almost forgot: It is possible to be a religious man and still enjoy a violent game or movie. God is not going to strike you down if you play violent video games, FYI.

Mawy_Golomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Mawy_Golomb

I agree that finding violence in the media is still better than seeing it happen in reality. But I still think that game developers can pour more effort into other things besides violence. If removing cut scenes will have designers draw attention to other forms of story telling and interactivity than just violence, then so be it. The Outsider looks like it may be the first game to attempt this. It is going to be the most non-linear game ever, removing itself completely of cut scenes and a script. There will be a heavy reliance on the AI, such that every time you start a new game, you will never be able to play through the story in the same way. And considering that voice technology is growing, with Frontier Developments (creator of Elite franchise, A Dog's Life, Thrillville, and the upcoming game The Outsider) taking up this kind of technology, maybe players will finally be able to control whatever the main character says. Why should someone else voice the main character when the player is the one who is in control of him/her?

Game developers really should pour as much drama into their games as possible, such where violence and other horrible things should shroud a game's world in darkness, much like that of a noir film.

UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#18 UT_Wrestler
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts
Violence in and of itself does not make a game entertaining. Conflict is what makes games entertaining. Violence just happens to be a part of many forms of conflict; the feeling of victory and overcoming the odds are what makes a game satisfying, not the blood and gore.
intheshad0ws

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 intheshad0ws
Member since 2007 • 208 Posts

Well if you think about it... what game doesnt have a struggle that means you have to resort to violence or someone hating others?

You can have a game where you go grocery shopping... but alas the pre-cooked chickens at wal mart are all gone... leading me to hatred!

Dont think you could make a game without the two.

muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 muthsera666
Member since 2005 • 13271 Posts
Jesus I knew I shouldnt have replied, its like I know better but I just cant help myself.GodModeEnabled
It's alright. I made the same mistake in another thread that he had hijacked.
Avatar image for Grammaton-Cleric
Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Grammaton-Cleric
Member since 2002 • 7515 Posts

I used to be like most of the people here. I enjoyed violence and knew little to nothing about how the media influences society. But now, I have a far greater understanding of mass media. In addition, I am more religious. And as a result of having looked at a realistic depiction of the emotions that surround violence as well as how violence looks, I no longer feel joy in it. In fact, I am a nonviolent individual, having studied the ways of Gandhi's philosophy of Satyagraha and MLK's philosophy of Christian Satyagraha, which both teach people to be nonviolent.

As we look upon many of the popular things in mass media, we see that violence and sex, as well as hatred are often glorified. This is truly the case in the video games industry. Almost every game offers violence as the only option for moving throughout a storyline. Sure, cut scenes have dialogue and other things, but that is not interactivity. Why do games not make full use of interactivity, to the point where dialogue can be done in real time as well as many other non-violent things? Well, many people in mass media know that stereotypes and other unrealistic expectations are easy to sell to a huge audience and they deceive many people. That is why most of the content that we see not only displays violence, it glorifies it. Look at the theme of revenge. How many times has it ever been deglorified? Even William Shakespeare's plays glorified it.

Has the whole world gone mad? Why do we need to continue seeing violence and hatred at the center of gameplay?

Mawy_Golomb

Let's start with the obvious: A few questions you should ask yourself.

On your spiritual quest to reach some sort of personal enlightenment, did you happen to come across any teachings from your mentors regarding the inherent pitfalls of foisting your own personal beliefs onto other people? Have you pondered the inevitable backlash that your self-righteous musings might evoke in people as you admonish their choice of diversions? Do you reflect on your own choice of words and the way you talk down to people, as if your philosophy is the only viable and proper way to look at the issues you raise?

Firstly, your assessment of this medium is painted with broad strokes while employing crass generalizations, which renders your entire argument flaccid. There are actually a number of games that eschew violent themes so either your own exposure to the medium has been woefully limited or you are purposely omitting this fact to further your own arguments and agenda. If the latter is the reason, we call that propaganda.

Now, pushing aside the structure of your argument, let's delve into some of your assertions:

The glorification of violence - This is a term thrown around quite liberally and often inappropriately. You seem to equate a depiction of violence as automatically endorsing violence, which, when you really consider the proposition, is quite absurd. There have been plenty of films that depict violence as brutal, horrific, and even nauseating, refuting the notion that such works glorify violence. While games are a bit different because they are an interactive medium, plenty of titles have actually given the player choices in terms of how and when to apply violence, essentially letting the gamer deliberate whether a person lives or dies. At the end of GTAIV I literally held a gun on my enemy for several minutes before deciding to let him live. It was an incredibly unique experience.

As to the theme of revenge, as a literary scholar and a teacher, I'd love to know which Shakespearian play you feel glorifies the concept because in most cases, when the revenge thematic is applied, it is painted as a destructive act that destroys everyone in its path, including the one seeking revenge. In Hamlet, his quest for revenge kills just about everybody he loves and ultimately destroys him. In Romeo and Juliet, Romeo's rage at the loss of his friend causes him to slay Tybalt, which in turn begins a chain reaction that leads to his own destruction and the death of his beloved. If you want a more contemporary example of revenge in the media, look no further than Burton's Sweeny Todd, which is ****c Greek tragedy about a man whose lust for vengeance ultimately ruins him. I would actually venture to say that in most cases, revenge is treated as a negative and rarely as a positive.

I'm also fascinated that you mentioned sex in your diatribe, essentially equating it with violence and hatred in terms of being an objectionable presence in the media. I feel compelled to tell you that I find your ****fication of sex, which is one of the more remarkable and sublime experiences of the human condition, to be grotesque and offensive.

In your conclusion, you ask a rhetorical and ultimately ridiculous question: "Has the whole world gone mad?"

The truth is that our world in most respects is a much less violent place than it was even a few hundred years ago. Perhaps in your mind, killing a collection of pixels and polygons has some sort of viable, emotional repercussion but I'm simply too levelheaded, educated and full of common sense to subscribe to such a notion.

I can respect your personal decision not to indulge in media that offends your personal sensibilities just as I can respect your beliefs even as they diverge from my own. What I won't accept is being told that my way is wrong, which is ultimately what you have done with this post.

True enlightenment is being able to live your own life your own way without encroaching on the manner in which others live theirs. I applaud your spiritual growth but I urge you to expand your perceptions, otherwise you risk ignorance and becoming insular and rigid.

lolfaqs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 lolfaqs
Member since 2009 • 1776 Posts
eh, nothing against people like Gandhi (cool guy in my book), but I view games the same as movies or music. I like variety. Sometimes a good, violent game is just a fun way to pass some time and get that adrenaline fix. But other times I like to take it easy and play more laid back games like Valkyria Chronicles. I'd get bored if every game was a violent FPS game just as I would get bored if every game was an RPG.
Avatar image for Freezing_Knight
Freezing_Knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#23 Freezing_Knight
Member since 2005 • 238 Posts

Just one question:

Do u consider Smash Bros a violent game????:shock:

The glorification of violence - This is a term thrown around quite liberally and often inappropriately. You seem to equate a depiction of violence as automatically endorsing violence, which, when you really consider the proposition, is quite absurd.

Grammaton-Cleric

+1

Fyrhtu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Fyrhtu
Member since 2009 • 199 Posts
I believe many games have that in mind even though some are presented subtley. Though, I've not known the true reason as ever developer and creator has their own reason and ideologies.
Fyrhtu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Fyrhtu
Member since 2009 • 199 Posts

Just one question:

Do u consider Smash Bros a violent game????:shock:

[QUOTE="Grammaton-Cleric"]

The glorification of violence - This is a term thrown around quite liberally and often inappropriately. You seem to equate a depiction of violence as automatically endorsing violence, which, when you really consider the proposition, is quite absurd.

Freezing_Knight

+1

In some extend.
_AbBaNdOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

#26 _AbBaNdOn
Member since 2005 • 6518 Posts
Death to religion.
Rush2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Rush2k
Member since 2004 • 651 Posts
Because video games are supposed to give you something extraordinary and things you can't (or at least won't) do in real-life.
clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28 clicketyclick
Member since 2008 • 7136 Posts

Mawy_Golomb

Even if you accept that video games glorify violence, the question still remains: why does it matter? There has been no causal connection established that watching and playing video games lead people to act out that violence, becoming more aggressive in the long term. Playing an Orc Barbarian who slashes though his enemies doesn't make you more likely to lose your temper and use barbarous conflict resolution tactics irl.

Exploring themes of violence, jealousy, hatred is just as important as exploring others in the spectrum of human action and emotion. You can't very well slip some Soma in the water and expect everyone to ignore those aspects of the world.

And violent video games are usually set up with an almost naïvely black-and-white distinction between you and the "bad guys". The bad guys are really really bad and must be stopped... justifying your use of force. (And yes, there are justifiable uses of force. When you're up against people who will stop at nothing to see everyone killed, you can no longer be called a pacifist - you're called suicidal. Non-violence worked for Gandhi and MLK because they were up against regulated representations of government power that did not want them dead.) Where the distinction is less clear-cut, you're usually playing an RPG or Adventure game and you have multiple options for how to approach a certain situation, including non-violent approaches.

Much ado about nothing?

MagicHat1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#29 MagicHat1
Member since 2008 • 209 Posts

Love your posts Grammaton-Cleric and clicketyclick. Hope I spelt that right, sorry if I didn't.

As many have pointed out, the thread is horribly generalising about games as a whole and of games that do contain violence. I personally enjoy games that give a moral choice, that give options for non violent means to tasks and there are games without violence in them. I also enjoyed CoD4, partly for the great gameplay but the clincher for me was how sad it made me feel when it took away your characters and your allies, hardly glorifying war but showing the consequences can be horrible. GTA doesn't so much glorify violence as take the Micheal out of a lot of things, allow people to have a laugh and sometimes give moral choices, if it wanted to portray violence in a glorified light then Rockstar are surprisingly incompetent. The main characters have never been very warm and loveable, in GTA4 alone, Niko pays for his lust for revenge, loses loved ones and the storyline goes into some of the horror's of war and gangsters.

Yet sometimes some of us don't want or need a game that makes us think or a game that pulls our heartstrings, or even be very complicated but a game where we just turn it on and start shooting things. The Doom's, the Medal of Honours, the Killzone's, the Time Splitter's, we just want to get rid of some energy or boredom and sometimes to get out of ourselves and simply have fun. When my father was made redundant having moved with the firm, he responded by (well obliviously looking for a new job), playing Doom to take away the anger, the hurt and just to escape. He is not a violent man inclined to going around beating people up, nor is he a mean who particularly enjoys shooters, but he needed an escape from the world for awhile. Nothing wrong with some mindless fun that doesn't hurt anyone

Elraptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Elraptor
Member since 2004 • 30966 Posts
For many people a little violence and mayhem are entertaining . . . at least in a virtual medium.
McMJ3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#31 McMJ3
Member since 2008 • 2441 Posts
Sony actually, has been releasing quite a few non-violent PSN titles recently(ala Flower, Noby Noby Boy, etc). And what about racing games? Are they violent? No, unless you considering bumping another car violent. Otherwise, your right. Games are quite violent, and it will probably always be that way, so you're going to have to get used to it. Simple as that. Get used to it or don't play games.
Avatar image for Rinna_Seneschal
Rinna_Seneschal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Rinna_Seneschal
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts
Because hugging it out is boring. Also, diplomacy is simply a way of saying "nice doggie" until you can find a rock.
Cenerune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Cenerune
Member since 2008 • 588 Posts

There is plenty of games who are not centered on violence or hatred, you simply have to look for it. If you focus only on these titles just as anything in life, you will fail to see what else is around.

Violence and sexuality are integral parts of our nature as men. Living in a society where both are perceived negatively, we search for what we lack, hence the interest into it and why we crave for it. Ever wondered why the internet was full of both for example?

Off topic: As far as Enlightment goes, someone above wrote it almost in a poetic way, you should try his advice because as of now, your thread reeks of ''i am now religious and i frown upon your ways''. Question yourself, find your own beliefs and accept the world and it's nature for what it is. Religion is not spirituality and what you seek is not religion, don't take the lazy path and reflect on your own.

stike22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 stike22
Member since 2009 • 3401 Posts
Games aren't supposed to be realistic they are about fun...and well blowing someones head off with a shotgun in a game is brilliant...not like I would ever do that in real life but god its reall fun seeing bodies get destroyed.....yeh best way I can explain this without sounding like a nut is...DESTRUCTION RULES! LOL! I mean creation is nice also but well its even more fun when you destroy creation...SIm City for example. Yeh but just so you know there are nicer games out there, animal crossing for example or harvest moon, sims....and well other games like that, they are the only types of games where hugging can be fun because well it actually effects gameplay. And rinna_seneschal is completely right about diplomacy...most games diplomacy sucks it doesn't solve anything and you don't get your way with things so...the sane thing to do is to pick up a rock and dash it into some A.I.s skull or a nicer and quicker way blow their brains out.
just_nonplussed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 just_nonplussed

Games aren't supposed to be realistic they are about fun...and well blowing someones head off with a shotgun in a game is brilliant...not like I would ever do that in real life but god its reall fun seeing bodies get destroyed.....yeh best way I can explain this without sounding like a nut is...DESTRUCTION RULES! LOL! I mean creation is nice also but well its even more fun when you destroy creation...SIm City for example. Yeh but just so you know there are nicer games out there, animal crossing for example or harvest moon, sims....and well other games like that, they are the only types of games where hugging can be fun because well it actually effects gameplay. And rinna_seneschal is completely right about diplomacy...most games diplomacy sucks it doesn't solve anything and you don't get your way with things so...the sane thing to do is to pick up a rock and dash it into some A.I.s skull or a nicer and quicker way blow their brains out.stike22

maybe killing/shooting/hitting in games is the easiest way to solve a problem or acomplish a goal. it's about communication isn't it? you're sending signals into the game world with your gun that changes the situation. and change is necessary for any game to function as a game.

stike22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 stike22
Its not that, I usually play as a good character in most games when I first play them and actually care, then I am evil next and evil is a lot better you get more options and things are more fun because destructive acts cause greater changes and challenges then being talkative and nice. The physics when you blow some A.I.s brain out are brilliant, the way their bodies get dashed by whatever you blew them with a grenade, a vehicle, a shotgun or whatever else...magic for instance...things you can do to A.I.s with magic on some games. Brilliant because its just fun. Diplomacy in my opinion is wrong...its cruel and evil and forces us to pick the good path of boredom and talking...nobody wants that.Lol. Bring on carnage, devastation, mayhem, destruction, bodies getting dashed at over 99mph, bodies getting ripped and WAR!!! LOL. You see even typing destructivly is more fun, Lol, its only a game so you pick the funniest path and evil is so much better...why haven't they made a game dedicated to such acts? it would be brilliant. I mean imagine a game dedicated to diplomacy....my GOD! that would be one boring hole of a game....level one: talk, talk, talk some more, yes talk, talk, talk, talk hard, talk really, really hard and then hug.............................................Does that not sound like the * game in the world, nobody likes socializing except people who don't know how to live. Gun over tounge anyday...or better yet AXE or HAMMER because they are shiney and do some damage. Lol. Want a good game, want a destructive game....WANT WAR! (in a game not real life, I am actually very nice in real life...really I am, Lol)
just_nonplussed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 just_nonplussed

Its not that, I usually play as a good character in most games when I first play them and actually care, then I am evil next and evil is a lot better you get more options and things are more fun because destructive acts cause greater changes and challenges then being talkative and nice. The physics when you blow some A.I.s brain out are brilliant, the way their bodies get dashed by whatever you blew them with a grenade, a vehicle, a shotgun or whatever else...magic for instance...things you can do to A.I.s with magic on some games. Brilliant because its just fun. Diplomacy in my opinion is wrong...its cruel and evil and forces us to pick the good path of boredom and talking...nobody wants that.Lol. Bring on carnage, devastation, mayhem, destruction, bodies getting dashed at over 99mph, bodies getting ripped and WAR!!! LOL. You see even typing destructivly is more fun, Lol, its only a game so you pick the funniest path and evil is so much better...why haven't they made a game dedicated to such acts? it would be brilliant. I mean imagine a game dedicated to diplomacy....my GOD! that would be one boring hole of a game....level one: talk, talk, talk some more, yes talk, talk, talk, talk hard, talk really, really hard and then hug.............................................Does that not sound like the * game in the world, nobody likes socializing except people who don't know how to live. Gun over tounge anyday...or better yet AXE or HAMMER because they are shiney and do some damage. Lol. Want a good game, want a destructive game....WANT WAR! (in a game not real life, I am actually very nice in real life...really I am, Lol)stike22

ah..ok i get it! you love violence in games.

well, i agree with most of the stuff you said. the important thing is change. though i do think there are other ways to cause change that don't involve explosives and breaking walls to rubble.

stike22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 stike22
Actually I really don't mind having no violence, I just love a good game and sometimes violence is apart of what makes them great. Agreed about change.
muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 muthsera666
Abbreviation: Really good points.Grammaton-Cleric
Respect for Grammaton-Cleric +3
just_nonplussed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 just_nonplussed

the TC isn't even responding or joining in the discussion. great. i hate posters who just start a topic and then dissapear. pointless.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#41 LordAndrew
Member since 2005 • 7355 Posts

the TC isn't even responding or joining in the discussion. great. i hate posters who just start a topic and then dissapear. pointless.

just_nonplussed
He hasn't even been on since February 26. He might come back to respond... Or he might disappear forever.
mattykovax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 mattykovax
[QUOTE="LordAndrew"][QUOTE="just_nonplussed"]

He hasn't even been on since February 26. He might come back to respond... Or he might disappear forever.

I hope its dissapear forever. he makes horrible threads,and they all pretty much amount to hatred of teh media and NWO conspiracy theorys.
teddyrob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 teddyrob
Member since 2004 • 4557 Posts

Mawy_Golomb

The reason being :-

Playing Ghandi in a computer game isn't fun besides gaming violence isnt' real life. I'm a pacifist in real life but I wouldn't want to extend that to the gaming world as it's fantasy.

For instance I play world in conflict a lot but would I extend my pacifist ways to withholding my fire what would be the point of that. It's a game.

Phantom_Leo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Phantom_Leo
Member since 2002 • 7090 Posts
[QUOTE="LordAndrew"][QUOTE="just_nonplussed"]

mattykovax

I hope its dissapear forever. he makes horrible threads,and they all pretty much amount to hatred of teh media and NWO conspiracy theorys.

Can we all stop posting here then and let this topic die?

teddyrob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 teddyrob
Member since 2004 • 4557 Posts

[QUOTE="pygmahia5"]well violence in society usually ends in you getting arrested, or even worse. id rather get the thrill of doing it in a virtual world and not get penalized :)mattykovax

What if the Romans had Rome:Total Wars but for real, oh yeah.

pygmahia5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 pygmahia5
i dont see how you dont understand this yet.
muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 muthsera666
[QUOTE="just_nonplussed"]

LordAndrew

That was only the day before yesterday... But, there is hope for continuation in the current vein...
blooddog28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 120

#49 blooddog28
Member since 2008 • 2049 Posts
because it is fun. who wants to play a game about being a fairy in lala land? thats a stupid idea...
Mawy_Golomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Mawy_Golomb
[QUOTE="Grammaton-Cleric"][QUOTE="Mawy_Golomb"]

Let's start with the obvious: A few questions you should ask yourself.

On your spiritual quest to reach some sort of personal enlightenment, did you happen to come across any teachings from your mentors regarding the inherent pitfalls of foisting your own personal beliefs onto other people? Have you pondered the inevitable backlash that your self-righteous musings might evoke in people as you admonish their choice of diversions? Do you reflect on your own choice of words and the way you talk down to people, as if your philosophy is the only viable and proper way to look at the issues you raise?

Firstly, your assessment of this medium is painted with broad strokes while employing crass generalizations, which renders your entire argument flaccid. There are actually a number of games that eschew violent themes so either your own exposure to the medium has been woefully limited or you are purposely omitting this fact to further your own arguments and agenda. If the latter is the reason, we call that propaganda.

Now, pushing aside the structure of your argument, let's delve into some of your assertions:

The glorification of violence - This is a term thrown around quite liberally and often inappropriately. You seem to equate a depiction of violence as automatically endorsing violence, which, when you really consider the proposition, is quite absurd. There have been plenty of films that depict violence as brutal, horrific, and even nauseating, refuting the notion that such works glorify violence. While games are a bit different because they are an interactive medium, plenty of titles have actually given the player choices in terms of how and when to apply violence, essentially letting the gamer deliberate whether a person lives or dies. At the end of GTAIV I literally held a gun on my enemy for several minutes before deciding to let him live. It was an incredibly unique experience.

As to the theme of revenge, as a literary scholar and a teacher, I'd love to know which Shakespearian play you feel glorifies the concept because in most cases, when the revenge thematic is applied, it is painted as a destructive act that destroys everyone in its path, including the one seeking revenge. In Hamlet, his quest for revenge kills just about everybody he loves and ultimately destroys him. In Romeo and Juliet, Romeo's rage at the loss of his friend causes him to slay Tybalt, which in turn begins a chain reaction that leads to his own destruction and the death of his beloved. If you want a more contemporary example of revenge in the media, look no further than Burton's Sweeny Todd, which is ****c Greek tragedy about a man whose lust for vengeance ultimately ruins him. I would actually venture to say that in most cases, revenge is treated as a negative and rarely as a positive.

I'm also fascinated that you mentioned sex in your diatribe, essentially equating it with violence and hatred in terms of being an objectionable presence in the media. I feel compelled to tell you that I find your ****fication of sex, which is one of the more remarkable and sublime experiences of the human condition, to be grotesque and offensive.

In your conclusion, you ask a rhetorical and ultimately ridiculous question: "Has the whole world gone mad?"

The truth is that our world in most respects is a much less violent place than it was even a few hundred years ago. Perhaps in your mind, killing a collection of pixels and polygons has some sort of viable, emotional repercussion but I'm simply too levelheaded, educated and full of common sense to subscribe to such a notion.

I can respect your personal decision not to indulge in media that offends your personal sensibilities just as I can respect your beliefs even as they diverge from my own. What I won't accept is being told that my way is wrong, which is ultimately what you have done with this post.

True enlightenment is being able to live your own life your own way without encroaching on the manner in which others live theirs. I applaud your spiritual growth but I urge you to expand your perceptions, otherwise you risk ignorance and becoming insular and rigid.

I am very sorry for the way in which I acted before, Grammaton-Cleric. Even though I have different opinions than that of most of the people over here, I still should give everyone the respect that they deserve. I do not care whether a person is religious or not. And I certainly should know from my experience, reading a lot about psychology, that you cannot change people by forcing them to do so; you must change yourself first, and they will respond to you differently that way. Yes, it is true. I hate mass media for the many things that it has been responsible for, mainly due to the fact that it causes us to be that much more slothful and greedy, as we really on and care more about items than people. Besides, violence is not the only problem in this world. There are many other problems that should be discussed. While I do not like the idea of having fantasies, which can lead to immoral thoughts or actions, I do accept that many people are that way. While I cannot promise that I will like everyone, I most certainly promise that I will try to be that much more respectable and understanding of them. Also, while it may have made it quite repetitive to see me make several threads about how video games often are pro-violence and about the NWO, I would like to point out that I did make two very interesting threads that many of you should check out. It's either one or two (I can't remember for sure). There was a thread that I made about how character development has been a very lacking element in many of today's games, which has caused a lot of lack in innovation. If you want to take a look at this topic, I will provide you with the link below. http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=26790942&tag=topics;title