Why is Gordon Freeman from Half-Life such a popular character?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#1 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

It seems that in most "Top [10-50-100] videogame characters" list I read, Gordon Freeman always manages to rank among the top 10, if not even surpass characters like Mario, Link and Solid Snake by making it to the first place (like this one). I always found that confusing: why do you guys consider a character that never says anything and frankly would have no face (if it wasn't for the game box depicting it) and no personality whatsoever to be one of the greatest (if not THE greatest) game characters of all time?

In the first game he's basically a sole survivor trying to save his skin from a mess they made him cause, in the second game he's thrown in an unfamiliar world where half the people order him around like a bellhop without ever asking him a question and the other half see him as some kind of messiah (although he's barely ever done anything for them as far as he and they know). According to his hardcore fans, he's so great because his lack of personality lets the player immerse himself better in the events of the game, which hardly makes any sense: if they wanted to make us the protagonist they wouldn't have named the character and let us believe we were the protagonist.

We all love Half-Life, but I really don't see why a character that basically has no depth whatsoever can be considered more significant than well written and acted characters like, for instance, Solid Snake

Am I missing the point?

gashoe13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#2 gashoe13
Member since 2007 • 511 Posts

To be honest, I don't really understand why either... Gordon Freeman seems so 2-dimensional to me, but may be I'm also just not getting it.

I think people like him because he can improvise well (crowbar ftw) and because he's in good games.

Stevo7991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Stevo7991
Member since 2010 • 1319 Posts

It seems that in most "Top [10-50-100] videogame characters" list I read, Gordon Freeman always manages to rank among the top 10, if not even surpass characters like Mario, Link and Solid Snake by making it to the first place (like this one). I always found that confusing: why do you guys consider a character that never says anything and frankly would have no face (if it wasn't for the game box depicting it) and no personality whatsoever to be one of the greatest (if not THE greatest) game characters of all time?

In the first game he's basically a sole survivor trying to save his skin from a mess they made him cause, in the second game he's thrown in an unfamiliar world where half the people order him around like a bellhop without ever asking him a question and the other half see him as some kind of messiah (although he's barely ever done anything for them as far as he and they know). According to his hardcore fans, he's so great because his lack of personality lets the player immerse himself better in the events of the game, which hardly makes any sense: if they wanted to make us the protagonist they wouldn't have named the character and let us believe we were the protagonist.

We all love Half-Life, but I really don't see why a character that basically has no depth whatsoever can be considered more significant than well written and acted characters like, for instance, Solid Snake

Am I missing the point?

Black_Knight_00

He's more of a "Hero" as you say. Do you remember what he did back in half life 1? This guy goes through so much trouble to make things right, so your on the right point. Back in half life 1 after the black mesa incident, he goes thru trouble to trouble to stop massive badness from happening and in half life 2 he liberates city 17 and episode 1 he helps evacuate citizens and in episode 2 he goes to white forest to help the allied rebels and his gang with whatever they gotta do. So yeah, he is a sole survivor. He saves many lives, he helps people in the game(although you play as him) and ends it all.

lpjazzman220

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 lpjazzman220
Member since 2008 • 2249 Posts

i dont think its love for gordon so much as love for half life...i think that most of the time its the players way of showing their appreciation for one of the best fps game to ever be created...yet alone to have a sequel that matches, if not surpases, the original...especially in this day and age of crappy fps games with almost no thought put into the single player...yet alone development tools to go with it...i really think people are voting for valve more than gordon...and just showing their appreciation for a developer who knows exactly what they are doing...making money off of GOOD video games

cabose38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 cabose38
Member since 2005 • 1162 Posts

He is a popular character, because you ARE Gordon Freeman.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

A few things:

1) When HL1 came out Gordon Freeman was pretty unique, he was not a supersoldier or the best of the best, he was a weakscientist, That was a first time an FPS were like that I think, Not the Burley "sure Im going to win the day, becasue I can crush a freakin mountain with my fists" He was weak, had to consider how to tackle situations, and had to rely on a piece of shoddy technology and pray it held. So he was so different thenpretty much anything else

2) Freeman is essensially Void, He nevertalks, nor show any kind of emotion, because YOU are the freeman, no voice, no cutscenes from outside your eyes, in all intents and purposes, Freeman really is who you want him to be (personalitywise)

So Freeman has alot in common with characters such as Link or Mario, they too are somewhat blank, the players are able to invest more of themselves into these characters due to this.

middle-earth88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 middle-earth88
Member since 2006 • 1262 Posts

Freeman is the best simply because he is you. He is not some foreign extra special character that not many people can relate to. He is just a normal guy that is trying to do the right thing. He just wants to survive and save his friends.

Blaze787

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Blaze787
Member since 2007 • 535 Posts

My personal pick for top video game character would be Commander Sheppard from the Mass Effect series.

Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
He is a personality-less avatar that the player assumes the role for. So people feel more connected to the other characters in the game rather than having to think about the protagonist. Because they are the protagonist. I'm not sure why he is considered a "good" character though.
sonofsmeagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 sonofsmeagle
Member since 2010 • 4317 Posts

As others have said he was the 1st non-supersoldier character and some1 that was shaped by you some average guy trying to survive through an alien invasion and save his friends while hes at it.

Gordon Freeman
Was
Is
And always shall be

THE ONE FREE MAN

Pvt_r3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Pvt_r3d
Member since 2006 • 7901 Posts
Who else kills people with a crowbar and wears glasses?
c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#12 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

1) When HL1 came out Gordon Freeman was pretty unique, he was not a supersoldier or the best of the best, he was a weakscientist, That was a first time an FPS were like that I think, Not the Burley "sure Im going to win the day, becasue I can crush a freakin mountain with my fists" He was weak, had to consider how to tackle situations, and had to rely on a piece of shoddy technology and pray it held. So he was so different thenpretty much anything elseMaddie_Larkin

This best explains it, I think. In a industry that's full of muscle-bound brutes as protagonists in games, someone like Freeman was seen as a refreshing change of pace at the time of Half-Life's release. People likely just want to recognize that.

King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#13 King9999
Member since 2002 • 11837 Posts

It's the glasses, man.

blaqphantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 blaqphantom
Member since 2010 • 1829 Posts
i agree with TC i recently started playing HF2 for the first time and was suprised to see how he was voted GS greatest hero of all time comp and how popular he is. i guess i can see where people are coming from with the whole Gordon Freeman is you thing.
LustForSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 LustForSoul
Member since 2011 • 6404 Posts
Half-Life was mad popular at release and logically the main character gets popular too. We all know Master Chief and Captain Price too.
AlmostUndead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 AlmostUndead
Member since 2006 • 1673 Posts
Only thing that would make Freeman better is a dialogue wheel from Mass Effect.
lpjazzman220

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 lpjazzman220

Only thing that would make Freeman better is a dialogue wheel from Mass Effect.AlmostUndead

o god no...that thing has ruined so many rpgs imo...i much rather prefer to know what my character is gonna say as opposed to 3 general choices (hero/smart a**/and antihero) so it makes the game more cinematic...rpgs arent supposed to be cinematic action games...

rzepak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 rzepak
Member since 2005 • 5758 Posts

Well for me a silent protagonist is alot better than characters like Dante or Bayonetta which make me want to cut myself everytime they speak.

Omega1k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Omega1k
Member since 2010 • 148 Posts

Badass.

He's a genius, PHD in (I think) theoretical physics, who, more or less, single handedly fought off an alien invasion, and (almost) freed an alien oppresed human race. It's not so much the character himself, as you don't learn much about him other then he is well educated, but what happens in the course of the game. Some events in the half life series make the characters in them look at freeman and pretty well say "Holy crap... did he just do that?"

AlmostUndead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 AlmostUndead
Member since 2006 • 1673 Posts

[QUOTE="AlmostUndead"]Only thing that would make Freeman better is a dialogue wheel from Mass Effect.lpjazzman220

o god no...that thing has ruined so many rpgs imo...i much rather prefer to know what my character is gonna say as opposed to 3 general choices (hero/smart a**/and antihero) so it makes the game more cinematic...rpgs arent supposed to be cinematic action games...

I just don't like the idea of, "Hey Gordon go here and do this, oh and here is your crowbar, JUST DO IT!" with the option to have a dialogue wheel, I can get do the renegade thing, and kill that said person for telling me to do something stupid. Plus I hate how your silent, and your sitting saying, "OMG DONT DO THAT THIS IS STUPID WHY ARE YOU DOING THAT YOU ARE GOING TO DIE!" or something happens in the game that directly has to do with something you're doing at the time, but you can't talk.
Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#21 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
[QUOTE="lpjazzman220"]

[QUOTE="AlmostUndead"]Only thing that would make Freeman better is a dialogue wheel from Mass Effect.AlmostUndead

I just don't like the idea of, "Hey Gordon go here and do this, oh and here is your crowbar, JUST DO IT!" with the option to have a dialogue wheel, I can get do the renegade thing, and kill that said person for telling me to do something stupid. Plus I hate how your silent, and your sitting saying, "OMG DONT DO THAT THIS IS STUPID WHY ARE YOU DOING THAT YOU ARE GOING TO DIE!" or something happens in the game that directly has to do with something you're doing at the time, but you can't talk.

I always thought that was silly: Barney tells you to cross one of the most dangerous areas of the city, filled with troops looking for you and he gives you a crowbar as your only means of defense...?
EJ902

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 EJ902
Member since 2005 • 14338 Posts
His character is hardly developed, but maybe that works in his favour - that is, his character isn't allowed to develop into something that people hate. The fact that he's a different character to the usual also helps, being a scientist rather than an action hero makes him stand out. But I don't think there's anything exceptional about gordon, I'd say it's probably that the popularity of half life has rubbed off on him.
lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44566 Posts
I think he's just popular because of the Half-Life franchise, I don't necessarily think there's anything about him that appeals to me. The little bits with G-Man have more personality that Gorden Freeman shows in the entire series.
XenoLair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#24 XenoLair
Member since 2006 • 4758 Posts

It's the glasses, man.

King9999

I concur.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#25 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

Because gamers who vote for him are idiots.

lpjazzman220

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 lpjazzman220

Because gamers who vote for him are idiots.

S0lidSnake

not true...tho i do believe the majority of society are idiots...and hes not personally my favorite...but i do believe halflife as a series is one of the best...if not the best...fps series to date...but as a character gordon is pretty flat...but his story is awesome...my personal favorites are duke, serious sam, and the pirate dude off of bulletstorm

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#27 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

I think that people simply appreciate what Valve has done with him rather than loving the character himself. Not much is known about Freeman besides him being an MIT graduate which might add some mystery and intrigue. Beyond that, Freeman was deliberately designed to serve as a bridge between the gameworld and the player - and he has bridged that gap far better than any other playable character in gaming to date.

As for why exactly does Gordon Freeman win in many voting polls, it's because of Steam. Valve announces competitions to their 30+ million fanbase and we vote. Because we love them.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#28 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

Because he's different from the mold (MIT dude). Differentiation attracts curiosity. That, plus we don't know much about him, adds a aura of mistery surrounding the character. Plus he appeared in one of the most revolutionary FPSs that ever saw the light of day. So all things considered, that's a good recipie for a popular character.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#29 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Gordon is even more of a bystander than Link. He isn't all that interesting either.