Why have Most Gamers NEVER even put on the VR Headset?!...

RandyOrion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 RandyOrion
Member since 2019 • 5 Posts

A game like Firewall Zero Hour can only be experienced inside the VR headset and yet most gamers Have never even had the opportunity to try on a VR headset and experience being INSIDE a VIDEO GAME!!! ...Where you can judge the distance of your target by sight alone and actually peep and blind-fire around corners! Im calling out to the entire gaming community go out and get themselves a PSVR and a PlayStation console (if you don't already own one) and an AIM controller and get on Firewall Zero Hour because with scenarios like this, ya just GOTTA!!!...

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#2 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8773 Posts

Looks ok, and I have psvr. But I've got too much on my plate as it is, and more coming.

RandyOrion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 RandyOrion

@DEVILinIRON: But why have most gamers never even put on a VR headset is my question? The example here is that its impossible to capture what it's like to play games in 3-d. I thought gamers and non-gamers alike would be flocking to, at least, try it out...

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By RSM-HQ  Online
Member since 2009 • 11671 Posts

*sigh*

Whaw feel VR fans can come across as annoying salesmen.

Have put on a few VR head-sets, trying it because it seems like a neat idea. First at a public event for Oculus Rift. And borrowed the PlayStation one to play Resi 7. More than not follows with me vomiting and extreme migraines, and yes I vomited at a public event testing the Rift, I recall someone-pointing some my blood came out as well. As such, think I've given VR more than enough chances.

I suffer from many vision issues, certainly not a picture of perfect health. Yet more easier to describe this one as a form of motion sickness. Typical VR pitch I've seen is "you'll be fine, they've perfected the tech now". And no they fucking have not!

These problems with me happen even for non VR games like Gravity Daze when the camera sharply changes perspectives frequently. And it's a more common place issue, than not. I've seen a lot of people share my complaint. And are bluntly treated as being a "VR hater".

Case and point. VR just isn't for everyone, and wish fans of the product would get over themselves acting like it's the only way to play games. If you can cope with the way it flows motion? More power to you, just stop selling that death-trap to me.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#5 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

@randyorion said:

@DEVILinIRON: But why have most gamers never even put on a VR headset is my question? The example here is that its impossible to capture what it's like to play games in 3-d. I thought gamers and non-gamers alike would be flocking to, at least, try it out...

How many hours per week would you estimate you use your VR headset?

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

@RSM-HQ: That sucks, yeah it's a problem you're not the only one I read who has similar experiences. Some peoples body's just can't handle their eyes seeing stuff that doesn't match watch the body is feeling. Have you tried a non moving game like job simulator?

@Black_Knight_00 said:
@randyorion said:

I've got a PSVR and while I haven't used it as much as like that's simply because of the lack of games. I've put another 200 hours in skyrim, at least 30 in beat saber, 50 hours into wipeout and I've completely played at least 10 other titles. Ranging from 5-15 hours.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 RSM-HQ  Online
@npiet1 said:

@RSM-HQ: Have you tried a non moving game like job simulator?

Doesn't seem like the kind of game I would enjoy really, so nope.

Though it's not the speed of the games that's the issue, but how motion flows when the camera moves/ changing perspectives. It disorientated my vision, which follows with other symptoms- headaches, acid reflux, etc.

First game I did play on VR for rift was some arena goblin slayer game. Not even sure if it went outside of the event demos, didn't even have an official name at the time.

Skyrim VR, plus the already mentioned Resi7 followed.

All of which would state wasn't playing fast paced. Skyrim got me badly just when aiming a bow; and did the zoom for focused aiming. In VR that was not a pleasant experience.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Black_Knight_00

@npiet1 said:
@Black_Knight_00 said:

I've got a PSVR and while I haven't used it as much as like that's simply because of the lack of games. I've put another 200 hours in skyrim, at least 30 in beat saber, 50 hours into wipeout and I've completely played at least 10 other titles. Ranging from 5-15 hours.

Do you ever get headaches, eye strain, momentary loss of balance, momentary blurred or double vision, nausea?

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 npiet1

@Black_Knight_00 said:
@npiet1 said:
@Black_Knight_00 said:

Do you ever get headaches, eye strain, momentary loss of balance, momentary blurred or double vision, nausea?

Nope, nothing. I have never gotten motion sickness though in my entire life. That only weird thing is that after a long period of play time. Real life can look a bit weird like my brain has to adjust. It looks the same as like I've had a small amount of weed that's almost worn off but its gone in 5 minutes.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Black_Knight_00

@npiet1 said:
@Black_Knight_00 said:

Nope, nothing. I have never gotten motion sickness though in my entire life. That only weird thing is that after a long period of play time. Real life can look a bit weird like my brain has to adjust. It looks the same as like I've had a small amount of weed that's almost worn off but its gone in 5 minutes.

I'm interested in these side effects. Could you by any chance be more specific in describing how real life looks weird? Flashing lights, deformed/deforming shapes, loss of depth perception, loss os spatial awareness, objects feeling larger or smaller than they really are, still seeing glimpses of elements from of the game even when not using the headset?

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58318 Posts

Is this a rhetorical question, or literal?

I will pretend literal.

I would imagine cost and availability. If only 1 in 100 gamers have a VR headset, the availability is low; it's not like where if I want to play Xbox I can just go over to my friend's place and play. Plus I imagine a lot of retailers don't want to have one on display because of hygiene issues.

And VR isn't something you really impulse buy on a whim, either; it generally requires better-than-average hardware to operate (on PC, at least) and a decent setup sets you back a few hundred dollars.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58318 Posts
@Black_Knight_00 said:
@npiet1 said:
@Black_Knight_00 said:

I'm interested in these side effects. Could you by any chance be more specific in describing how real life looks weird? Flashing lights, deformed/deforming shapes, loss of depth perception, loss os spatial awareness, objects feeling larger or smaller than they really are, still seeing glimpses of elements from of the game even when not using the headset?

I experience something similar, but it's nothing extreme, harmful, or anything like that. It just takes a short while to adjust back to it.

Do you ever run on a treadmill? Do you remember the first few times you got on a treadmill, and immediately after you got off of the treadmill things were a little weird; like your body was performing an action that should propel you forward, but you were not moving forward, so when you get off the treadmill it sort of looks like the world is moving forward?

Maybe a better analogy would be like going to see a long movie in a movie theatre. You're sitting in the dark for a long, watching a lot of movement and focused on a fixed area, then all of a sudden the movie is over and the lights are on and you stand up and need to leave; takes a few seconds to sort of get your bearings because you've been stationary, but at the same time witnessing a lot of action, movement, and scenery on a screen.

It's sort of like that. You're in a game doing all these movements, and sometimes you might be in a cavernous area or something, but then when you take the headset off you are in your room and it's like "Woh, I'm not in some huge outdoor area, I'm in my room".

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 npiet1

@Black_Knight_00 said:
@npiet1 said:
@Black_Knight_00 said:

Mrbojangles described it. It's nothing like that. It's just looks weird, maybe feel would be the better word because nothing actually looks different.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#14 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

I've just never been all that interested in VR. I went to a buddy's house and tried out his PSVR a year ago, but it really didn't impress me that much. I guess I just don't feel that VR is immersive enough. Until I can actually enter a video game, or there is some awesome holodeck technology, then eh.

Heck, I think AR stuff is more interesting, and could see a lot more unique implementation. Ever since the Microsoft Hololens was shown off years ago, I've thought that will push gaming concepts forward a lot more than VR.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#16  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

@luxbagstyle said:

i would like to buy a vr , which is the best for recommend?

Oculus Quest

Blazepanzer24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Blazepanzer24
Member since 2018 • 437 Posts

Well, for me I have a bad back IRL and it's hard enough for me to play games via controller / M&K, so I'd imagine VR wouldn't be too comfortable for me.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#18 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

I think pretty much everyone has said what I was going to say. The largest obstacle is simple physical incompatiblity. Eye strain, headaches, nausea, back aches. When I got my PSVR at launch, I though for sure I was going to have to return it because I got so sick the first day that I almost threw up (thank god for breathing techniques), but I tried a few more times and got used to it. Some people, though, simply can't.

I think another problem is simple hardwired skepticism. VR has always had a troubled history since it tried to go mainstream in the 90s (Virtual Boy anyone?) Regardless of how many technological advancements have been made (including the tech that increases FPS that won't induce motion sickness anymore), people will simply always view it as a gimmick.

RandyOrion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 RandyOrion

@npiet1: I use it maybe 4 hrs a night

RandyOrion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 RandyOrion

@RSM-HQ: Yeah, I agree some games are pretty bad about causing headaches and motion sickness this is true, but VR gaming is only still in its beginning stage of life and I'm pretty sure the developers are working hard on getting it right. Have you tried to use it in short sessions first until you get used to it?

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By RSM-HQ  Online

@randyorion said:

@RSM-HQ: Yeah, I agree some games are pretty bad about causing headaches and motion sickness this is true, but VR gaming is only still in its beginning stage of life

You say that, however this thing was made before I was born_

Virtual Reality has been in public development since the 1970's. If we go with it as a concept; it's the 1950's with stereoscopic sliders. In all cases "early life" is a stretch. Sure it has come along way, but I can speak that even with all the advancements the product has a flaw for people with various visual disorders.

Have you tried to use it in short sessions first until you get used to it?

. . .

If you read my whole post(s) you may get the idea that 'getting use to it' really isn't an option for myself, or people who have the same/ similar issue(s) as myself. The problem happens quickly. Duration isn't the issue. Visual problems such as severe refractive error is not something that should be viewed as 'minor'. Just because you do not have this problem yourself. Better to keep that in mind instead of assuming it can be fixed with simple trail-and-error.

Lebowski1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Lebowski1
Member since 2005 • 91 Posts

I have PSVR after being blown away by RE7 at a public event, but now I use it for all games in Cinema Mode. Highly recommended if you think you'd be happy trading in resolution for sheer image 'size'