Why games sales are down 31%

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Yakker24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Yakker24
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
Last year I purchased or rented a significant number of games - about one every 2-3 weeks, so around 20 for the whole year. This year I have bought none and rented only a few. The reason is that I'm finding myself getting more frustrated by the games than actually enjoying them. I find myself immersed and having fun at first, but then running up against an impassible wall that the game designers have installed. After an hour or two of trying to get past the wall, I simply abandon the game in frustration. This "game abandoning" behavior is a change to my behavior last year, when I was more likely to throw my controller or destroy the CD in a fit of rage. Neither of these actions were remotely helpful in getting past the wall and did nothing to help my self-esteem :-) I suffer from poor motor coordination and I'm simply unable to complete many game tasks quickly. I can't aim fast, nor can I dodge very well. In the last game I rented (Overlord II) I physically could not move the character fast enough to stop the elevator, so had to abandon what was otherwise not a bad game. No other entertainment class would survive this approach. Imagine walking into your local cinema to watch Harry Potter and, halfway through the movie the lights go on and the usher says "Right, everyone that can calculate the cube root of PI can stay, the rest of you; Bugger off". How long do you think this business model would survive? Not long obviously and yet that's EXACTLY the business model the game industry pushes on us. There must be a sea-change in the way games are designed. Games must be designed so that players can adjust their difficulty levels on the fly so that they can get past sections that are unplayable. The so-called "Hard core" gamers pour scorn on god modes, yet rely heavily on cheat codes and walkthroughs. Huh? I'm not sure if this is delusion or hypocrisy, but either way it's a style of gaming that isn't working. I shouldn't need to cheat my way through a game, and who wants to play with a machine that constantly throws out taunts like "cheater". The fact that I want to play as an invincible character, with unlimited ammo would in no way detract from the enjoyment of a hard core gamer that wants to play as a 50lb weakling armed with a peashooter. It's all about choice for the consumer. On the fly adjustability also means I can enjoy the game differently every moment I play - one moment I may feel up to a challenge and play on hard mode, the next I want some "chewing gum of the eyes" and play on easy mode to skip past a section, then go back to hard mode. For game sales to increase adjustable difficulty settings (or, more accurately, accessibility settings) HAVE to be built into every game. In fact, I think there should be a written guarantee with every game that says "we guarantee you will be able to complete this game". There is a fundamental difference between "beating" a game and "completing" a game. I play to complete games, and judging by the decline in sales, so does the mass consumer audience.
Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

"Right, everyone that can calculate the cube root of PI can stay, the rest of you; Bugger off". How long do you think this business model would survive? Not long obviously and yet that's EXACTLY the business model the game industry pushes on us. Yakker24

To say that's an exaggeration....would simply be inadequate.

eyko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 eyko
Member since 2004 • 233 Posts

I must admit to have bought fewer games this year as well, i've only bought 2 since last August. However for me the reason is simply I complete so few of the games I buy that I've now made an active plan to try and complete as a many as I can before I buy another game. For example I really want to buy Virtual Tennis 3 (mainly since it is cheaper than the new one), but I must complete 2 games in my 360 collection before I will allow myself to buy. So far I find the system to be working well in not only reducing my out goings, but also improving my overall enjoyment of the games since I am now following them through to the end.

TheCrazed420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 TheCrazed420
Member since 2003 • 7661 Posts

I actually agree with this. Every game should have a save system that lets you save anywhere. Every game should have, as the OP stated, ingame cheats that allow you to pass a certain section if you so choose. Let the player decide his level of challenge, it really shouldnt be so hard to implement. More options is never a bad idea.

WindedSailor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 WindedSailor
Member since 2003 • 179 Posts

new games in Vancouver where i live cost 69.99 canadian. that's ridiculous in tight times.

Yakker24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Yakker24
Exaggerations are useful sometimes because they help make a point. You must surely agree that the vast majority of the population would not be able to overcome this barrier to entry. By the same token, many "coordination challenged" gamers like myself can't move a controller fast enough to beat some aspects of some games, yet we don't want to be relegated to playing Bejewelled. To give you a concrete example of what works and what doesn't; consider (Ghost Recon) GRAW and GRAW-2. The first game had only two accessibility modes - "Normal" and "Hard", whereas GRAW-II added "Easy". I can play GRAW-II, but I cannot play GRAW-1. It's so difficult that the play becomes repetitive and boring. I mean, come on, getting killed over and over again is just not fun. GRAW-II (on easy) was a much more balanced game for me and I loved it. Another example: In Codemasters' "Overlord-II" the player is required to hit four buttons in quick succession in order to stop an elevator that is moving very quickly. Many, many players had difficulty with this and stopped playing Overlord at that point. Had the game asked me for the cube root of PI, I could have continued, but not being able to move fast enough prevented me from continuing. The programmers could have done something very simple like adding a line of code that slowed the elevator down a bit after every 10 attempts, so that I could to continue to play. This was bad game design and I don't recommend this game to anyone and certainly wouldn't buy it myself. Until I can feel confident that I can complete a game, I'm just not going to buy it. I think that quite a number of the 31% less consumers agree with me.
corwinn01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 corwinn01
Member since 2004 • 842 Posts

I haven't bought as many games either and at the going prices probably won't. I will buy a bunch at xmas for my kids and then wait for the price cuts. I like to keep mymoney mine. Maybe the gaming industry will learn if nobody pays the high full price.

Yakker24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Yakker24

I actually agree with this. Every game should have a save system that lets you save anywhere. Every game should have, as the OP stated, ingame cheats that allow you to pass a certain section if you so choose. Let the player decide his level of challenge, it really shouldnt be so hard to implement. More options is never a bad idea.

TheCrazed420
Thanks. But, sorry to be pedantic, I don't think they should be "cheats", I think they should be accessibility options. To call them a cheat would be kind of like saying that wheelchair ramps are cheats for people that aren't "good enough" to have legs. (Sorry, another exaggeration to make a point, no offense intended to anyone)
ViewtifulScott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ViewtifulScott
Member since 2005 • 878 Posts
People have less money, and are thus buying less games. That's the reason.
Avatar image for AtomicTangerine
AtomicTangerine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 AtomicTangerine
Member since 2005 • 4413 Posts

I like to think I'm pretty good at all the games I play and stuff yeah, so sometimes I forget about the little guy who can'tor simply doesn't want to put in the time to play the game well. Like if you buy the game, why shouldn't you get to have access to all the content and stuff? Every game should just have a super easy mode where you don't earn achievments or something.

SavageM2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SavageM2
Member since 2005 • 10800 Posts

I haven't bought many games this year. Although it isn't exactly because of the difficulty for me, I just haven't found many games this year that I wanted.

Well, that and lack of money I guess. :P

-Goldensilver-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 -Goldensilver-
Member since 2009 • 42 Posts

While game design may be part of the reason, I think that most likely the main problem is the economy. For most people video games are a hobby. So, when cash gets tight certain things may be cut back on or eliminated, and most likely that will be something of a lower priority, such as a hobby.

Gammit10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 119

User Lists: 2

#13 Gammit10
Member since 2004 • 2397 Posts
Nobody is forcing you to abandon these games. If they're fun, keep at them, lower the difficulty, or have somebody take the controller for a minute in order to get you out of a tight spot.
shadowkiller11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#14 shadowkiller11
Member since 2008 • 7956 Posts
well ever since economical downturn sales have gone down. i feel that contributed to less sales.
gamer_10001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 gamer_10001
Member since 2006 • 2588 Posts

Game sales are down because there are very few games that have come out (even by summer standards). Add the crappy economy on top of that and you have worse sales.

Now I agree with some of what you said, but your talking\ about how to expand game market not about why game sales are down.

All games should definitely allow difficulty change and quick save options just like most PC games do. Even if we don't get quick saves the fact that developers still put checkpoints right before overlong unskippable cutscenes taking place right before a difficult set piece is inexcusable.

0Tyler0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 0Tyler0
Member since 2008 • 2602 Posts
I don't use cheats for hard parts.. hardcore gamers don't use cheats
Sumadamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Sumadamus
Member since 2009 • 59 Posts
I think you're going about making your argument in a pretty bad way, but I do agree with you in principle. Adjustable difficulty levels that can be changed on the fly are something that should be in every video game, because it increases accessibility without getting rid of the ability to challenge yourself if you want to. You can't compare it to a movie in this regard though, because challenge is an element of games that just isn't present in movies. When you buy a game, you should expect the game to challenge you, although I do think games would be a lot better off if they catered to different levels of difficulty. I think the 31% drop probably has a lot more to do with other things though, as games are easier then ever these days. I haven't bought many games lately either, but it's because there just isn't much out that looks good to me. I've actually been going back and playing a lot of older stuff.
Yakker24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Yakker24
I don't use cheats for hard parts.. hardcore gamers don't use cheats0Tyler0
oooh! You're so brave, you big stud muffin. Fawn, Swoon, kissy-kissy. Let's make babies together!
btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#19 btaylor2404
Member since 2003 • 11353 Posts

My game purchases have tailed off this year as well. I still buy all the titles I've been anticipating or get yearly: RE5, NCAA10. But other games that I'm sure I'd like, Prototype, Infamous, the new Battlefield and many others I'm just waiting on. I went to buy NCAA last week and was going to grab another new game, but they had Ninja Gaiden II used for $14 and I was fairly sure none of the others at $60 would be that much fun so I just re-bought it. I've spent at least 1k a year on games, and this year I'd be surprised if I end up spending half that.

UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#20 UT_Wrestler
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts
I'm sorry to tell you this, but your handicap, and the difficulty of modern games, has NOTHING to do with game sales. Your logic becomes flawed when you say that games are too hard, when in fact modern games generally are MUCH easier than older games. I mean I don't want to sound like an ass, but you don't hear a guy with 1 leg complaining that basketball is too hard because they won't let him use a golf cart.
btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#21 btaylor2404
Member since 2003 • 11353 Posts
As to the difficulty of modern games, I for one, think they are too easy. Even the hardest levels on games are beatable now. I remember when Tomb Raider was a serious challenge. Now I have to amp up the difficulty setting on every game I buy just to make it last a bit longer.
Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

For me the reasoning has been different, the games that has come out this yeah simply did not appeal too much to me, its all a matter of personal taste.

That and the fact that Im saving up for this Oct-Dec... those 3 months are pretty much gonna cost me a years savings O.o

raahsnavj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#23 raahsnavj
Member since 2005 • 4895 Posts
A few things to say on this. 1) Nintendo is making a feature for the game to play the hard parts for you. This will benefit those not willing to hit up against the wall for long. 2) A lot of games do allow you to flip the difficulty on the fly... if not you can always start on the easiest mode and bump up later on another playthrough or something. 3) Why don't you look for genres that don't require quick reflexes? Turn based strategy for example. What games seem to be the problem? that is to say, games you want to play but have the problems you describe? And I don't think your conclusion is right. I don't think people are buying and playing less because they want to see the whole game but can't, but rather they see the whole game and wonder why they wasted their time.
OneWingedAngeI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24 OneWingedAngeI
Member since 2003 • 9448 Posts
conversely i find games grossly unchallenging lately and am very bothered by the prevalence of locked hard modes. more options are always better. but im not not buying games due to difficulty, its more price than anything. $60 for a 10 hour game, $60 for a 100 hour game. no. used/renting for me these days, mostly.
Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts
it's also a recession...
CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

it's also a recession...Senor_Kami

No, that can't be it. I'm sure its because people want to watch games instead of play through them.

charrr1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 charrr1234
Member since 2007 • 685 Posts

I also love the fact that games prices went back to the PS1/N64 days. I love playing $50 for a game when about 2 years ago, they were $30-20 on the PC.

Arath_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Arath_1
Member since 2003 • 4688 Posts

[QUOTE="Senor_Kami"]it's also a recession...CarnageHeart

No, that can't be it. I'm sure its because people want to watch games instead of play through them.

Don't be crazy!

Seriously though last year saw some massive blockbusters released in the same period (GTA, Metal Gear Solid, Wii Fit and Mario Kart) which are one of the key reasons for a decline in year on year sales together with a slowing economy and reduced spended (not to mention many consoles are still expensive).

While I understand the point you are trying to make your argument is ultimately flawed. Conversely I could use the analogy that why aren't there different versions of movies if I don't understand them or simpler versions of books, War and Peace is too long, someone read it for me! I don't think your request is unreasonable but the way you went about presenting it is. Games have been getting increasingly easier and while I think some form of auto play may be good I don't think this has anything to do with game sales. Accesibility is a key aspect of game design and since the advent of the Wii it has seen bigger representation in more games.

If a game is too hard don't play it. Although Nintendo has hinted at EXACTLY what your requesting calling it self play. In principle I agree with your point, but in practice I don't think its really an issue.

Yakker24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Yakker24
I'm sorry to tell you this, but your handicap, and the difficulty of modern games, has NOTHING to do with game sales. .UT_Wrestler
Most of the feedback I've seen on the subject is that the economy is the main culprit, and I'd not argue with that. That said, I have spoken to quite a few people, including the guys at EB Games (a games store up here in Canada) and there is a large group of poelpe that won't risk purchasing a game they don't think they can play, so I do think it's a factor. But, yes, overall it does seem that a general lack of good games this year and the lousy economy are the main culprits.
I don't want to sound like an ass, but you don't hear a guy with 1 leg complaining that basketball is too hard because they won't let him use a golf cart.UT_Wrestler
LOL, I loved this analogy. Very clever. That said, the 1 legged guy competes in the special events, geared to helping him play in a manner that he can enjoy the game.
Avatar image for Smokescreened84
Smokescreened84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#30 Smokescreened84
Member since 2005 • 2565 Posts

You're not alone in suffering from terrible hand/eye coordination issues, I've suffered it since I was a toddler and spent my life fighting it, with highly painful results due to the constant effort I do to be able to use my hands well.

It took me twenty years of learning how to type to be able to type as I do, over twenty years of video gaming to get to the point where, as long as I focus hard enough and don't let the pain get to me, I can do so well at games that I can rival those who aren't in this kind of pain. In shooting games my aim is around a 75%/80% average, depending on the amount of effort, I rarely get any better, but I do try.
In other games it depends on the game, games like Guitar Hero I struggle with, racing games it's around 50/50, fighting games is a case of practice a lot and memorise every attack, platform games I need to judge my timing to get it just right, puzzle games are thankfully lazy games for me and I do great with those, same with RPG's, hack and slash I do alright, could do better.

Instead of worrying too much about buying new games straight away, just keep trying with the games you have, keep putting in as much effort as you can, no matter how painful it gets. When you can afford a new game, go for it.

Pain can be handled, letting disability get the better of you only limits what you can do. Being disabled doesn't mean someone isn't as capable and able as those who aren't disabled, it means they have to try harder to prove to themselves that they can, and will do their best.

R/T

Androvinus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#31 Androvinus
Member since 2008 • 5796 Posts
boy are you in luck, nintendo is planning to implement the skip option in their games. they are planning to provide in game strategy guides and the skip function to allow players to get past the difficult parts. get a wii. and until then play all games on the easiest settings possible.
R7_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 R7_3
Member since 2006 • 1565 Posts

i've already bought about 15 games this year, there have been some big games so far, and some really pleasant suprises. I know i'm getting at least 10 more games before years end also, so i don't know why sales are down lol