Why does Amazon sell games so cheap?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by RickyRevolver (1086 posts) -

I dont get it? is it some kind of shady business where they pirate games? what do they get out of selling games so cheap?

#2 Posted by Reptylus (1875 posts) -

An extremely successful company like this is able to minimize the profit out of single items because they sell many of them. By that they gain even more customers and in the end the profits rise. That's basic salesmanship.

#3 Posted by RickyRevolver (1086 posts) -

dang, I feel so relieve you told me that, i was beginning to think the worst. Thank you, now i know amazon is a safe place to buy some games:)

#4 Posted by Metamania (11964 posts) -

dang, I feel so relieve you told me that, i was beginning to think the worst. Thank you, now i know amazon is a safe place to buy some games:)

RickyRevolver

Amazon's always safe and reliable to buy, except for a few items that shouldn't even be allowed to be ordered on there, but that's a different story. Not too long ago, I did get four games from there, all brand-new and for good prices. Good times!

#5 Posted by lito119 (70 posts) -

You find used games at a lower price on amazon than at gamestop.

#7 Posted by TJamesA (570 posts) -

Amazon also offers bonuses alot of the time like $10 towards another game.

#8 Posted by teufelherz (1293 posts) -

Amazon also offers bonuses alot of the time like $10 towards another game.

TJamesA

True! I purchased Enslaved a couple of weeks back from one of their lightning deals for $25 and they also included $10 off a 12-month XBL subscription, too bad I didn't need it at that moment.

#9 Posted by JML897 (33120 posts) -
No offense OP, but it surprises me that someone who knows what Gamespot is didn't know that Amazon is one of the most reliable places to shop on the internet.
#10 Posted by Jackc8 (8500 posts) -

I just bought Enslaved from Amazon for $25, minus my $10 credit for pre-ordering GT5. Fifteen bucks :D Free shipping and no tax either.

#11 Posted by RickyRevolver (1086 posts) -

No offense OP, but it surprises me that someone who knows what Gamespot is didn't know that Amazon is one of the most reliable places to shop on the internet. JML897

I dont know what OP is, but I guess thats me:P

I always knew amazon excited but didn't know if it was a shady website:(

#12 Posted by WhiteKnight77 (12018 posts) -

Amazon can sell at lower prices as they buy in large quantities and can get a better wholesale price thus passing savings on to the customer with lower retail prices. This is kind of like how Wal-Mart works.

Amazon is a safe place to shop and usually get stuff to customers within 3 days or so. Amazon isn't the largest etailer for nothing.

#13 Posted by teufelherz (1293 posts) -

[QUOTE="JML897"]No offense OP, but it surprises me that someone who knows what Gamespot is didn't know that Amazon is one of the most reliable places to shop on the internet. RickyRevolver

I dont know what OP is, but I guess thats me:P

I always knew amazon excited but didn't know if it was a shady website:(

OP = Original Poster

#14 Posted by GLove093093 (57 posts) -
Amazon's own prices are in line with suggested retail. Though they are cheaper on some things but they don't have the overhead of a store.
#15 Posted by BRod85 (52 posts) -

just ordered halo reach and fallout nv (for pc) for 29.99 a piece on amazon....woot

#16 Posted by jcopp72 (5335 posts) -
more buisiness, if they sell more then they still make a good profit
#17 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18196 posts) -
The more copies a retailer orders from a game publisher. the less they pay for each copy, so typically: the bigger the stock, the lower the shelf price. Unless you're gamestop, that is. Then again... who still buys from gamestop, right? RIGHT people?