Why do some people only care about the graphics?

• 76 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

User Lists: 0

#51 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts

Graphics do have a big impact on a game, but overall, if the gameplay is great, then the whole game is great ;)

BonsaiMet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 BonsaiMet
Member since 2010 • 542 Posts
Because they never experienced the great 8/16-bit games where graphics didn't matter and games were judged on how fun they were.
dunl12496

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#53 dunl12496
Member since 2009 • 5710 Posts

It's a key factor for me. But I would still play bc2 if it looked worse than it does.

quijeros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#54 quijeros
Member since 2008 • 1728 Posts

You should ask this question in System Wars, what with all the annoying "Blah-blah is the new graphics king" topics popping up there...

Of course graphics isn't everything in a game, and gameplay should be considered first and foremost, but if the technology to create better and better graphics continues to advance, I don't see why developers shouldn't make use of it. They've been doing this ever since the first gaming system came out. It's pretty close-minded to think that gamers didn't care about graphics back then as they do now. There were some great games then, and undoubtedly their graphics were pretty mindblowing for their time. I don't see how it's any different now.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

Because they never experienced the great 8/16-bit games where graphics didn't matter and games were judged on how fun they were. BonsaiMet

Back in those days there was talk about the number of colors onscreen, Mode 7, number of stereo channels, RAM, number of sprites onscreen, number of layers of parallax scrolling, whether or not a system was truly 16 bit (nods towards Turbographx) and last but not least 'blast processing'. Also, fmv games hit in big numbers inthe 16 bit era (and happily, died there).

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
Plenty of times, I face palm everytime.
TacticalDesire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 TacticalDesire
Member since 2010 • 10713 Posts

There's a fine line really, graphics aren't all that matter but no-one wants to play a game with the graphics of an N64 or even Xbox and PS2 graphics if their playing on a this gen console. That's half the reason they bought the console, for the improvement. So while I don't necessarily need KZ2 graphics or UC2 graphics or the graphics Alan Wake is likely to have it is nice to have decent graphics, such as Assassin's Creed II, Final Fantasy XIII, Bad Company 2 etc. Obviously game play is a key factor and no-one wants a great polished game with terrible game-play, but the reality is most amazing graphical games don't have bad game-play anyway so it's really not an issue.

Also the reason people make a big deal about graphics sometimes is mainly because its easier to actually pinpoint graphic quality via processing engines and formatting and other things I don't understand ;), not to mention the way it actually looks. How do you really compare game-play? Unless one game just has terrible game-play how do you say one game had better game-play than another whereas graphics it is easier (not easy but easier) to decipher which game has the better graphics just by looking at it.

TacticalDesire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 TacticalDesire

Graphics do have a big impact on a game, but overall, if the gameplay is great, then the whole game is great ;)

Venom_Raptor

Your mistaken, graphics did matter in those days they just aren't impressive by today's standards. Still people would often buy console A over console B, because one looked to have better graphics.

TacticalDesire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 TacticalDesire

[QUOTE="SupaKoopaTroopa"]

Why have I heard this same question be asked a million times in the past 10 years?

Obvious people like teh graphix because they like seeing how far technology is progressing. If a game doesn't have up to date graphics, people think the game developers didn't put a lot of effort into it.

A lot of people are too stupid to comprehend a good story and game play, because today's society fails.

GreySeal9

This comment is pretty damn smug.

Gameplay doesn't really take much intelligence to comprehend. It is hardly rocket science. Most games hinge on pretty simple mechanics.

A good story may take more intelligence to comprehend, but that depends on the story itself and not stories in general.

Trying to act as if appreciating graphics is for dumb peasents while appreciating story and gameplay is some intellectual endeavor is pretty goofy.

Pretty well said.

TacticalDesire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 TacticalDesire

[QUOTE="albatrossdrums"]Yeah, but I also think some gamers are just as annoying when they say graphics are not as important at all. Graphics are a fundamental part of gaming - they are how you see and experience the gaming world. So of course graphics are important to an extent. This doesn't mean games are only good if they have cutting edge graphics, but honestly I see posts complaining about "graphics whores" almost as much as I see complaints about graphics.SteveTabernacle

I agree wholeheartedly. The continuing trend to try to create a riff between graphics and gameplay, and make people believe they cannot have a game that excels in one without falling short in the other, is absolute nonsense. It has no basis in reality. Even on the Wii, the best games of each year tend to also be one of the most graphically proficient. Truly great games excel in both graphics and gameplay. I tend to see more posts bemoaning people who only care about graphics, than I do actual posts from people who actually only care about graphics. Sort of like how every other post about Halo is about how overrated it is, yet every person who posts about that still feels the bizzare need to have "Am I the only one who doesn't like Halo?" as the thread title. Mind boggling stuff.

Haha, absolutely loved your post it is so true on so many levels.

Avatar image for SteveTabernacle
SteveTabernacle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 SteveTabernacle
Member since 2010 • 2584 Posts

Because they never experienced the great 8/16-bit games where graphics didn't matter and games were judged on how fun they were. BonsaiMet

Speaking as a gamer from that era, graphics did in fact matter back then. One of the big selling points of the NES when it came out was, in fact, the greatly advanced graphics. (compared to the other systems of the time) The SNES and Genesis, likewise, sold themselves primarily as graphics upgrades when they came out. Nintendo loved to talk about all the neat little graphics tricks they could get out of the SNES, Mode 7, and the FX chip enabled stuff.

racing1750

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#62 racing1750
Member since 2010 • 14567 Posts

The graphics are an intergral part of gaming nowadays, especially in open world rpgs and the like, but it's not what all of it's about. A lot of gamers, me included have boxes for tvs so graphics aren't as important.

pengo93
Completely agree.
reifresca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#63 reifresca
Member since 2010 • 351 Posts
Indeed. It's also annoying when people constantly want remakes of games that look more than fine in their original form. (usually people who didn't the games when they were first released and lack appreciation for older graphics)
marcogamer07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#64 marcogamer07
Member since 2008 • 1615 Posts

Personally, I care more about the art style in the visuals than the graphics themselves. Yes, gameplay is always first, but a game can still look appealing to the eye even if it had N64 graphics.

Look at World of Warcraft. The graphics suck. Yes. However, I think it looks amazing. Why? The world looks amazing. There's lots of colours. The art design is amazing.

In my opinion, the visuals don't need to look like Crysis level, but they need to at least be appealing to look at. But then again, for me. Gameplay/Story/Multiplayer/Voice Acting >>>>>>>>>>> Music/Graphics/Art Style

Graphics in a video game are just the icing on the cake, really.

KeredsBlaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 KeredsBlaze
Member since 2010 • 2049 Posts
graphics are important, but don't make a game great alone
Avatar image for deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
Member since 2009 • 4928 Posts

[QUOTE="Gr0wl"]

Well, simply because the graphics are important . For example , would you have played Batman Arkham Asylum with the graphics of Mario ?

BuryMe

Well the only Batman game I like to play is on the Super Nintendo...

So yes.

But I have no interest in Arkham Asylum, good graphics or not.

Looks like someone is living in the past, batman aa is the best batman to date, dosent matter if you think so or not most people do.
Avatar image for deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
Member since 2009 • 4928 Posts

[QUOTE="BonsaiMet"]Because they never experienced the great 8/16-bit games where graphics didn't matter and games were judged on how fun they were. SteveTabernacle

Speaking as a gamer from that era, graphics did in fact matter back then. One of the big selling points of the NES when it came out was, in fact, the greatly advanced graphics. (compared to the other systems of the time) The SNES and Genesis, likewise, sold themselves primarily as graphics upgrades when they came out. Nintendo loved to talk about all the neat little graphics tricks they could get out of the SNES, Mode 7, and the FX chip enabled stuff.

^^^^^ This, I must have been a graphics whore even back them because I remember hating the gensis version of mortal konbat because the graphics were horrid compared to the snes, even if it was the bloody version.
wwefanforlife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 120

#68 wwefanforlife
Member since 2006 • 3248 Posts

The only thing I care about in the game is the gameplay, fun factor and that it has good camera angles that is what's important. I mean you could have a game with the best graphics but the game can have terrible gameplay and awful camera angles.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 CarnageHeart

Indeed. It's also annoying when people constantly want remakes of games that look more than fine in their original form. (usually people who didn't the games when they were first released and lack appreciation for older graphics)reifresca

I doubt that. Given the massive popularity of FF7 its likely those calling for a remake played the original.

Avatar image for SteveTabernacle
SteveTabernacle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 SteveTabernacle
Member since 2010 • 2584 Posts

[QUOTE="reifresca"]Indeed. It's also annoying when people constantly want remakes of games that look more than fine in their original form. (usually people who didn't the games when they were first released and lack appreciation for older graphics)CarnageHeart

I doubt that. Given the massive popularity of FF7 its likely those calling for a remake played the original.

Yeah, and frankly speaking, FF7 was outdated graphically when it came out, so the idea it looks "more than fine" in it's original form is pretty absurd, to me. FF7 would greatly benefit not only in presentation, but also in getting a half decent translation, and maybe getting some gameplay enhancements as well. I think that if any game can make an honest claim to having been ahead of it's time, and needing a remake to reach it's true full potential, FF7 is that game.
CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 CarnageHeart

[QUOTE="CarnageHeart"]

[QUOTE="reifresca"]Indeed. It's also annoying when people constantly want remakes of games that look more than fine in their original form. (usually people who didn't the games when they were first released and lack appreciation for older graphics)SteveTabernacle

Yeah, and frankly speaking, FF7 was outdated graphically when it came out, so the idea it looks "more than fine" in it's original form is pretty absurd, to me. FF7 would greatly benefit not only in presentation, but also in getting a half decent translation, and maybe getting some gameplay enhancements as well. I think that if any game can make an honest claim to having been ahead of it's time, and needing a remake to reach it's true full potential, FF7 is that game.

I strongly disagree. When FF7 hit, the graphics were incredible. Incredible not only by the modest standards of rpgs (which had in the cart days been forced to sacrifice graphic quality for length due to space considerations) but just by the standard of console games.

Rckstrchik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#72 Rckstrchik
Member since 2010 • 1271 Posts

I believe the term is "graphic whore".

Everyone knows the storyline's where is at. :)

skp_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#73 skp_16
Member since 2005 • 3854 Posts

Story > gameplay >>>>> graphics

Solori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#74 Solori
Member since 2007 • 462 Posts

Wow. Another one of these topics. But surprise, there are actually a few people making sense here. Graphics and gameplay are pretty much inseparable. You can't really have a game that is all graphics and no gameplay: such a thing is actually known as a movie. Likewise, you can't have a game that is all gameplay and no graphics: such a thing is known as a blank screen.

The following quote is great:

The continuing trend to try to create a riff between graphics and gameplay, and make people believe they cannot have a game that excels in one without falling short in the other, is absolute nonsense. It has no basis in reality. …. I tend to see more posts bemoaning people who only care about graphics, than I do actual posts from people who actually only care about graphics.SteveTabernacle

The battle isn't graphics versus gameplay. It is low end graphics versus high end graphics. There may be some people out there who say they can only enjoy a game with high end graphics. That is not the same as saying that they like graphics more than gameplay. It just means they like high end graphics + good game more than they like low end graphics + good game. The fight is all about graphics. Gameplay is just a red herring.

I sort of understand that having a console that is incapable of producing high end graphics makes people defensive. But I don't understand why they need to attack graphics to make themselves feel better. People aren't playing a bunch of high end graphics games that suck and turning up their noses at a whole bunch of low end graphics games that are great. They are playing a bunch of high end graphics games that are great instead of a bunch of low end graphics games that are great. Are they losing out on some great games because they like high end graphics? Probably. But that's a personal choice and there are so many great games out there nowadays that no one can possibly play every great game made anyway.

Also, just had to say that the following quote is full of win:

Trying to act as if appreciating graphics is for dumb peasents while appreciating story and gameplay is some intellectual endeavor is pretty goofy.GreySeal9

James161324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 James161324
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

Graphics have become a huge part of games this gen. So has online gaming.

I like graphics but if it has great gameplay its ok for it be below average. Plus a majority of gamers didn't come in till the n64 and ps1 era.

D1zzyCriminal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 D1zzyCriminal
Member since 2009 • 1839 Posts

The way I see it its a process. Gameplay ideas will often require new tech > new tech offers new graphical techniques > new techniques allow better graphics and original style. So with regards to Crysis, the open world/realistic setting required them to create something more advance, which results in ball busting game engine and personaly one of my favourite FPS's.Games where graphics come first are backwards.