why do reviews come out at such erratic times?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

i-rock-socks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By i-rock-socks
Member since 2007 • 3826 Posts

some games a week early, some a week late. is it solely at the request of the game's publisher (or whoever) or is it solely based on when the reviewers get the game? i would imagine it also has to do with how long the game may take to review, but even huge games like fallout 3 and skyrim were reviewed day 1 (if i recall correctly). im sure the answer is a simple one but im a bit curious.

I_Return

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2 I_Return
Member since 2014 • 873 Posts

It depends on when the publishers give the game to the critics or maybe the word 'allow' is more appropriate. Sometimes, they give it to them beforehand, sometimes, it's on the public release date.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#3 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

@i_return said:

It depends on when the publishers give the game to the critics or maybe the word 'allow' is more appropriate. Sometimes, they give it to them beforehand, sometimes, it's on the public release date.

You're talking about embargoes. Sometimes embargoes are imposed to curtail any negative press about flaws or to prevent spoilers about a game until it's released.

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Behardy24
Member since 2014 • 5324 Posts

@i-rock-socks said:

some games a week early, some a week late. is it solely at the request of the game's publisher (or whoever) or is it solely based on when the reviewers get the game? i would imagine it also has to do with how long the game may take to review, but even huge games like fallout 3 and skyrim were reviewed day 1 (if i recall correctly). im sure the answer is a simple one but im a bit curious.

To answer the bold, the reviewers were probably given the game 1 or 2 weeks par to release. So it would give them enough time to see most of the game and so they can write their review.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44291 Posts

All of the above. It depends on when the reviewers get the game, if publishers have an embargo, how long it takes to review the game, or what type of game it is.

I_Return

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 I_Return
Member since 2014 • 873 Posts

@JustPlainLucas said:

@i_return said:

You're talking about embargoes. Sometimes embargoes are imposed to curtail any negative press about flaws or to prevent spoilers about a game until it's released.

Yeah I forgot they are called that. But in case of Destiny, the embargo felt like 'Don't do this now or we'll lose our money'.

Old_Gooseberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#7 Old_Gooseberry
Member since 2002 • 3958 Posts

ya shitty games prevent reviews from being released early cause they know their game sucks and will hurt their sales. Most developers games that are good they have no fears and don't care if they release reviews early.

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#8  Edited By Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts

Actually most big name releases nowadays have embargoes of some kind.

Examples include today's reviews of Borderlands: The Pre Sequel, and Bayonetta 2 (which is very early as it releases on the 24th), usually games have an embargo of the day before release or the actual day of release itself. A good example would be The Evil Within, which has an embargo date of tomorrow.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

Some worldly advice, it's always been like this, at least the last 18 years I've been a gamer. There's no set in stone release date for reviews.