Why are Nintendo consoles more expensive on Amazon?

bigblunt537

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 bigblunt537
Member since 2003 • 6907 Posts

This is just out of sheer curiosity as I have no intention on buying one, but I have noticed that Nintendo consoles are more expensive on Amazon and I'm not sure why. Does Nintendo have a deal with brick and mortar stores vs just online retailers?

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Is this a GD topic ?

bigblunt537

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 bigblunt537

GD? I though this forum suited the question best. It wasn't off-topic. It was either this or the Nintendo forum, but figured this was better. My apologies if I chose the wrong forum.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

okay.... Anyway.... We don't have Amazon in my country soooooo.... That explains that.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#5 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

I want to say Nintendo and Amazon were on shaky ground at one point...? I distinctly recall there being some controversy over Amazon not selling DSes for a while due to some disagreement with Nintendo or something. Don't remember the details. Could be related.

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#6 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts

@c_rakestraw said:

I want to say Nintendo and Amazon were on shaky ground at one point...? I distinctly recall there being some controversy over Amazon not selling DSes for a while due to some disagreement with Nintendo or something. Don't remember the details. Could be related.

right, Amazon sold a few Nintendo consoles and they ended up getting returned and Nintendo wouldn't take them back or reimburse Amazon so Amazon told them that they refuse to directly stock anymore Nintendo consoles. Third party sellers still carry them, however.

bigblunt537

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 bigblunt537

@Allicrombie said:

@c_rakestraw said:

right, Amazon sold a few Nintendo consoles and they ended up getting returned and Nintendo wouldn't take them back or reimburse Amazon so Amazon told them that they refuse to directly stock anymore Nintendo consoles. Third party sellers still carry them, however.

Thanks for the info. That makes sense and explains the prices. Kind of bad business on Nintendo's part.