Which game is better Final Fantasy 7 or Final Fantasy 9?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Thenumber48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Thenumber48
Member since 2012 • 160 Posts
I played both recently, and while I believe these games have some problems, I think the popularity that came with FFVII should have slamed shut and carried over to Final Fantasy 9 for better graphics, more likable characters, less irritating battles, and better plot. You get more pushes at certain points to make you stay on the game, the animation is better, a well designed world you can get into, and much more. FF7 was still catching up with what other rpgs did before it when it came out, the misleading CGI commercials, and the large amount of hype following the semi-successful Final Fantasy 6 combined with them spreading that hype around so people would end up playing games like Chrono Trigger, just gave the game way too much juice. But it was juice that never really was there, 8 took the formula and improved it but added new irritations, and 9 took 7 and 8, screwed both of them, and went back to a Final Fantasy 2,4,5, like theme. Which when they did, the game seemed more focused and better polished. That game should have been a bigger hit in the series as it was heading in the right direction, the direction 7 and 8 going were wrong. I am not a fan of the series, heck, I am not a fan of any series, but Final Fantasy started not focusing on engaging gameplay and engaging design and went with tacked on BS plots that had no connections to anything else in the story, random things happening they threw in at the last second, tacked on video games, and dragging things out with CGI that was not well implemented. Now we have Final Fantasy 9, which I believe is the third best Final Fantasy game in the series. Do you think 9 is better than 7 or 7 is better than 9?
esgallad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 esgallad
Member since 2012 • 99 Posts

Out of the two, VII just because of the whole Materia thing.

But IV is better.

Pixel-Perfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 Pixel-Perfect
Member since 2009 • 5778 Posts

Well, I do tend to enjoy FFIX more than VII. I think they're pretty much just as good though.

TheKungFool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#4 TheKungFool
Member since 2006 • 5384 Posts

For me, its Final Fantasy VII by a significant margin.

Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts
I like IX a lot more, but VII is still good.
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#6 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

9 kills 7. It's just a much better package, especially the visuals and art design.

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

9 kills 7. It's just a much better package, especially the visuals and art design.

GreySeal9

^This. VII hasn't aged well and even if it did IX would still be better.

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#8 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

I liked FF7 better, but not by much.

Valknut4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Valknut4
Member since 2012 • 403 Posts

Combat in 9 is really boring, like REALLY BORING. That said the story the characters and the side quests are all =. The materia system vs the skill system I woulkd give the Materia system the edge.

7 is the better game, it was nice that in 9 I could use any character I wanted, but at the same time, the reason I would always use vivi and dagger were becasue they were the only 2 that could do more then 1 hit per turn.

raziel2mic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 raziel2mic
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

FFVII all night long. FFIX has so many flaws:

-lame characters

-flat storyline

-only ONE black magic user

-only two summoners, without any freedome of distributing those creatures

-limits - less than useless

Offcourse its still FF series and its certainly worth playing it ;)

FFVII for life i dont even know what prons to present because its all so close to perfection. I only hope there will be some remake. New graphics and NO other changes at all... well perhaps some more secrets and quest that they havent got time to finish in the first place:)

MadVybz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11 MadVybz
Member since 2009 • 2797 Posts

-lame characters

-flat storyline

raziel2mic

While it is your opinion, I'd like to point out every point on that list are arbitrary nitpicks that don't really mean anything. I could flip the script and say that FF7 has lame characters and a flat storyline (but that's actually not so far from the truth, since not only its visuals but storytelling technique hasn't aged well either). While I will admit that that the materia system gave you a lot more freedom in battles (which I enjoy the most, hence FF Tactics, VII, VIII, X and XII), complaining about the nature of a good, functional battle system holds no value. It's critiquing in an unreasonable fashion.

I can't really speak for 'limits' since it's been at least 5 or 6 years since I last played IX.

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 rawsavon
Member since 2004 • 40001 Posts
9...by a mile 7 did far more for genre. But the characters, story, and especially the dialogue are really not that good. 9 has a far better story and characters IMO
raziel2mic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 raziel2mic

yeah, I probably should point out that its only my opinion. But please prove me wrong, where's 9 better than 7?

it looks like most of whats happening throughout disc 1-3 is purely accidential. our chracters just happen to be at the "wrong" place and time.

and characters are nitpicks? they build the story with our help, its important who they are,what are their goals and so on.

stainers a moron in a fat armor and is mostly just pissing me off

garnet is confused most of the game, and even "loses" her voice at some time... why?pitiful

eiko's a 8year old kid and is in love with Zidane??? still is more mature than garnet.

amarant quite cool,but his story as being framed because of zidane is weak

freya and quina are acceptable although fighting with a fork is ridiculous.

Vivi and zidane have an interesting story and all

Ohh and the main viilain-Kuja looks like gey/chick.

I'm sorry i didn't want to offend anyone but in my opinion IX is the weakest of the series. THe XII also had boring storyline but at least the fighting system and the ability to equip any weapon to any character was oh so appealing;)

BigBen11111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 BigBen11111
Member since 2003 • 1529 Posts

I haven't really plaayed FFIX yet, but I did beat FFVII & I loved that game.

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#15 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

[QUOTE="raziel2mic"]

-lame characters

-flat storyline

MadVybz

While it is your opinion, I'd like to point out every point on that list are arbitrary nitpicks that don't really mean anything. I could flip the script and say that FF7 has lame characters and a flat storyline (but that's actually not so far from the truth, since not only its visuals but storytelling technique hasn't aged well either). While I will admit that that the materia system gave you a lot more freedom in battles (which I enjoy the most, hence FF Tactics, VII, VIII, X and XII), complaining about the nature of a good, functional battle system holds no value. It's critiquing in an unreasonable fashion.

I can't really speak for 'limits' since it's been at least 5 or 6 years since I last played IX.

What??? How in any way are lame characters and story not a big deal in an RPG...?

And speaking of 'limits' for FFIX, they are not that great

MadVybz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MadVybz

yeah, I probably should point out that its only my opinion. But please prove me wrong, where's 9 better than 7?

it looks like most of whats happening throughout disc 1-3 is purely accidential. our chracters just happen to be at the "wrong" place and time.

and characters are nitpicks? they build the story with our help, its important who they are,what are their goals and so on.

stainers a moron in a fat armor and is mostly just pissing me off

garnet is confused most of the game, and even "loses" her voice at some time... why?pitiful

eiko's a 8year old kid and is in love with Zidane??? still is more mature than garnet.

amarant quite cool,but his story as being framed because of zidane is weak

freya and quina are acceptable although fighting with a fork is ridiculous.

Vivi and zidane have an interesting story and all

Ohh and the main viilain-Kuja looks like gey/chick.

I'm sorry i didn't want to offend anyone but in my opinion IX is the weakest of the series. THe XII also had boring storyline but at least the fighting system and the ability to equip any weapon to any character was oh so appealing;)

raziel2mic

And again, you're taking elements of the game that have minimal effect on the story itself, the character's actual quality (not just appearace), game atmosphere, etc.

I'm replaying FFVII right now and the story telling is sub-par, with Barret saying absolutely nothing other than establishing that events in question do not make any sense. Sephiroth is also a very poor, generic villain who only has a huge fan base because of the sheer amount of hype the game had during the time of its release. Cloud's a poor protagonist to add to it; his character is incredibly inconsistent and the only reason we have to go by to care about him is that "he's the protagonist, he has a big sword, deal with it." That only really scratches the surface of it, too. FFVII is by no means a genuinely bad game but there's nothing extraordinary about it, especially not by today's standards.

MadVybz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MadVybz

[QUOTE="MadVybz"]

[QUOTE="raziel2mic"]

-lame characters

-flat storyline

Blueresident87

What??? How in any way are lame characters and story not a big deal in an RPG...?

Given the fact that there hasn't been any actual points made to support the notion (and the reasons that I have been given), yes, they are just nitpicks.

TheKungFool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#18 TheKungFool
Member since 2006 • 5384 Posts

FFIX's graphics looked better technically speaking, obviously due to it coming much later, but I can understand the graphics praise (even though I personally still like the art and design of FFVII better). As far as story and characters etc, FFVII wipes the floor with IX.

also, I didn't like how your party was always separated or forced in FFIX; I like to have the ability to pick who I want to have in my party, not have the game tell me, okay, now you have to use these people.

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#19 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

VII's story sucked after Midgar. It had a terrible ending. The game overall has not aged well and not just the graphics department, Even the translation is terrible.

Cloud is an inconsistent protagonist and overall a disappointment. Sephiroth's motives for what he does is cause he had mommy issues. Some of the more interesting chracters in the game don't get as much screentime.

Meanwhile IX had an excellent and charming amount of characters. The story for the most part was decent and the main protagonist actually liked the opposite sex. The world was fascinating and had a great amount of side quests. The only flaws I can think of with IX are slow battles but in exchange playing with 4 people in your party, a terrible final boss and the trance system sucked. That's it really.

raziel2mic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 raziel2mic

well mr.Nitpick i'd like to point out you have Siegfried from SC as your avatar which you cant deny resembles Cloud,doesnt he ?;> and you failed to counter my opinion with any valid point, you just neglected almost everything i said.

Cloud was/is/will be an exellent protagonist. At first full of himself soldier 1st class[qiute funny at times] than having a mental breakdown after finding out the shocking truth, recovering and setting his mind on the enemy.

Sephiroth - "one winged angel" enough said :P

Lets not take graphics under account, its pretty obvious every next game looks was improved.

More proof? no prob. since my opinion is only subjective i will give more objective one:

FFVII->FFVII:dirge of cerberus->FFVII before crisis->FFVII Last odred->FFVII crisis core->FFVII Advent Children[+Complete] and bonus - Ehrgeiz

FFIX ->period

MadVybz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 MadVybz

well mr.Nitpick i'd like to point out you have Siegfried from SC as your avatar which you cant deny resembles Cloud,doesnt he ?;> and you failed to counter my opinion with any valid point, you just neglected almost everything i said.

Cloud was/is/will be an exellent protagonist. At first full of himself soldier 1st class[qiute funny at times] than having a mental breakdown after finding out the shocking truth, recovering and setting his mind on the enemy.

Sephiroth - "one winged angel" enough said :P

Lets not take graphics under account, its pretty obvious every next game looks was improved.

More proof? no prob. since my opinion is only subjective i will give more objective one:

FFVII->FFVII:dirge of cerberus->FFVII before crisis->FFVII Last odred->FFVII crisis core->FFVII Advent Children[+Complete] and bonus - Ehrgeiz

FFIX ->period

raziel2mic

Cute.

When was the last time you even played FFVII? The development of Cloud's character is by no means a streamline, consistent one; by the time he falls off the second reactor due to an explosion, he turns into Mr. Nice Guy to help Aeris find her way home. This is right in the beginning of the game no less, so it's the most abrupt change in character you could ever witness, and it only gets worse from there (e.g. Cloud claims that he trusts everyone in his party despite the fact 3 of the 6 characters at that point he had only just met and are only present for their own ulterior motives, with the exception of Red XIII who was open about his plans to leave after returning to Cosmo Canyon).

How does the musical theme of a character make the character him/herself a good one? It certainly doesn't. Sephiroth is nothing but a sadist with a god complex. Nothing special about him, since there are plenty of other villains just like him, i.e. any villain hell-bent on taking over the world to become its ruler and uses cruel, heinous means to do so. Which is pretty much almost every villain ever, not even in just in the history of games.

Taking graphics under account is definitely an important factor because the game's overall tone and atmosphere is set with its appearance. For example, how is this tear-jerking? Even on my first playthrough that scene didn't do anything for me 'cause it just looks like lego. It's hard to identify with something when it only barely represents something human. Its only saving grace is the music, which does its job of presenting emotion quite well.

Lastly, the amount of spin-offs a game has by no means showcases its merit, but only its demand. If you're going to go by this logic then you must also think Sonic the Hedghog is the best thing since sliced bread.FFVII is the perfect example of Japanese-angst style anime, which is incredibly popular among teens (to no surprise, who were a large portion of the demographic that fell in love with it when it first came out). Dirge of Cerberus was a lack-luster experience anyway, so it's hardly something to use as a crutch.

raziel2mic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 raziel2mic

I'm not saying FFVII is without flaws, it was created by human ya now. I'm just saying its better than IX.

Frankly speaking its probably because it reminds me of countless fun hurs I've spend playing it with my friends but it was for a reason. The materia system was just perfect, characters and twisted storyline were awesome too. Sephiroth wilded bigass katana-which in my opinion is the perfect weapon. But more importantly FFVII has something that makes me wanna play it over and over again, you asking when was the last time I was playing it, its right now dude and its awesome.

MadVybz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 MadVybz

I'm not saying FFVII is without flaws, it was created by human ya now. I'm just saying its better than IX.

raziel2mic

I'm well aware of that. But with FFVII being the incredibly dull and flawed game it is, you're claiming that FFIX isn't as good. Clearly even the so-called 'golden age of Final Fantasy' is in actuality just a bunch of crap games protected by rose-tinted glasses. /satire

Avatar image for superfalcon1234
superfalcon1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 superfalcon1234
Member since 2009 • 260 Posts

FFIX ...

raziel2mic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 raziel2mic

Yes I am claiming FFVII better.

But I have to agree with you, the Final Fantasy series are in decadence. Its like it shifted from thrilling and amazing adventure to a graphic based fantasy with traces off its gold times. Perhaps worse graphics actually ment better - imagination.

MadVybz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 MadVybz

Yes I am claiming FFVII better.

But I have to agree with you, the Final Fantasy series are in decadence. Its like it shifted from thrilling and amazing adventure to a graphic based fantasy with traces off its gold times. Perhaps worse graphics actually ment better - imagination.

raziel2mic

I was being satirical. I've played FF's V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X, XII, and FF Tactics, and I enjoyed all of them. My most recent playthrough of VII has been really bitter however, since I've been looking at the game more critically this time around as opposed to simply getiting a nostalgia fix. VIII and IX are next on my list after I finish VII.

If I'm to say one thing about the main FF games as a whole, they all have good aspects, some just more than others. It's the person's willingness to overlook the flaws that makes them good or bad games overall.

As for the graphics thing, I'd have to disagree. At this point, cutting corners on graphics and relying on the player to fill in the details is what we'd like to call a half-assed product.

raziel2mic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 raziel2mic

I'm not saying graphic is without matter, just pointing out that SquareEnix/Soft shifted their emphasis from storyline and sweet details to the looks. 'cause yeah the XIII is breathtaking at times yet I still would choose the VII or VIII as better.

I played FF1,3,6,7,8,9,10-2,12,13,13-2. I heard X was also graet and thats my next target. I also recommend FF1(or 3 not sure) remastered for smartphones.

MadVybz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 MadVybz

I'm not saying graphic is without matter, just pointing out that SquareEnix/Soft shifted their emphasis from storyline and sweet details to the looks.

raziel2mic

That's not entirely true. Square was always ahead of the game when it came to cinematics and beautiful graphics. FF's 8 and 9 were probably the best looking games on consoles at the time, and with FFX and XII being visually stunning as well. The pre-rendered cutscenes from their PS2 efforts are still as breath-taking as they were when they were first released.

raziel2mic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 raziel2mic

Now youare nitpicking, I am not saying their graphics werent exelent at the times they showed up. square just got sloppy with the story.

MadVybz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 MadVybz

Now youare nitpicking, I am not saying their graphics werent exelent at the times they showed up. square just got sloppy with the story.

raziel2mic

I'm not nitpicking, hence why I said it's not entirely true.

I also swear that a lot of people only say they shifted from story to spectacle because the overall presentation of the games had changed as possibilities grew. You can think that all you like if you wish, but FFXII (savor Vaan because he wasn't even meant to be the protagonist in the first place) was an all-round interesting story with likeable characters, and expanded the world of Ivalice quite well. FFX was also a great effort done by Squaresoft. I can't speak for XIII since I haven't played it.

SE as a whole was simply able to do more than just have all of the main characters stand in a circle and have text crawling across the page. But that's another discussion in itself entirely and I doubt it'd go anywhere good since it rarely does.

therelicreborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 therelicreborn
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
For me, it can change from day to day on which one i think is better. On one hand, FF7 has incredible music, the materia system, the gold saucer (where there some pretty addictive games, like snowboarding), some humorous characters and a lot more. On the other hand, FF9 has graphics that dont look like absolute garbage (especially when you play on an hd screen where there are jaggies everywhere. Its pretty bad for 9 but a lot worse for 7), the characters are great as well as the music, the replay value is high for me because there are classes for each character and you can go through the game with different parties that have different strengths and weaknesses, and i just like it. No one could go wrong with either game.
MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 MonkeySpot
Member since 2010 • 6070 Posts

FFIX by a country MILE!

Bubble_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#33 Bubble_Man
Member since 2006 • 3100 Posts

I like VII better, but IX is my second choice after that.

benleslie5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 557

#34 benleslie5  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 9175 Posts

Final Fantasy IX is still my favourite

istuffedsunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#35 istuffedsunny
Member since 2008 • 6991 Posts

6 > 9 > 7 > others >>> 8

Samslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#36 Samslayer
Member since 2005 • 1852 Posts

FFVII for me. I was more affected by the story, and I really appreciated the materia system. Don't get me wrong though, FFIX is an amazing game in its own right, but I just simply liked FFVII better.