When will half life 3 come out

This topic is locked from further discussion.

HuggyBear1020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 HuggyBear1020
Member since 2013 • 467 Posts

Gonna hit the refresh button again on Steam. Fingers crossed this time!

touchscreenpad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 touchscreenpad
Member since 2013 • 220 Posts

I thought it was cancelled...

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3 Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts

When Gabe Newell wins an Iron Man competition.

DavidSchmidt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4 DavidSchmidt
Member since 2013 • 50 Posts

Valve is working on a new engine now, most likely for a new Half Life.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#5 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I hope we see half life 3 on the new consoles.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

When Portal 3 comes out

Avatar image for -TheSecondSign-
-TheSecondSign-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 -TheSecondSign-
Member since 2007 • 9301 Posts

It won't.

They make more money absorbing every other property they come across and making multiplayer games.

Not to mention what they make from just owning Steam. They've got no reason to do it, and Gabe doesn't even seem slightly interested. He doesn't give a shit about Half Life anymore.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19571 Posts

@-TheSecondSign- said:

Not to mention what they make from just owning Steam. They've got no reason to do it, and Gabe doesn't even seem slightly interested. He doesn't give a shit about Half Life anymore.

That last part isn't right. Gabe cares enough to make references to Half-Life 3 in videos and interviews - he certainly isn't just letting the series fade into obscurity.

I think the problem is that they care too much to release it. Valve are perfectionists. They have a tendency to scrap and remake game concepts/levels/scenarios/storylines/entire games if they aren't satisfied with the results. They don't need to release games to continue getting revenue, so without that urgency, they have no reason to release the game until it meets their own exceptionally high standards.

So I guess in answer to the TC's question, "when it's done" is the most appropriate response.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

The day Gabe Newell is thin as a stick.....

......yeah i know these jokes are old and stupid.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Valve should just swallow their pride and Milk all their franchise, or at the very least add a level creator in Portal 2 for consoles. Aint no shame in milk.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#11 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

I remember seeing an article not too long ago confirming that it wasn't even in development. So yeah... it's going to be a while. And the day it is finally announced, the internet will explode.

1PMrFister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#12  Edited By 1PMrFister
Member since 2010 • 3134 Posts
@Planeforger said:

@-TheSecondSign- said:

That last part isn't right. Gabe cares enough to make references to Half-Life 3 in videos and interviews - he certainly isn't just letting the series fade into obscurity.

I think the problem is that they care too much to release it. Valve are perfectionists. They have a tendency to scrap and remake game concepts/levels/scenarios/storylines/entire games if they aren't satisfied with the results. They don't need to release games to continue getting revenue, so without that urgency, they have no reason to release the game until it meets their own exceptionally high standards.

So I guess in answer to the TC's question, "when it's done" is the most appropriate response.

Yeah, Valve are definitely perfectionists. It took them 7 years to make Half-Life 2, and 9 years to make Team Fortress 2, a game criticized for lacking content in its initial release. It doesn't surprise me at all that they're taking their sweet time even figuring out where they want to go with Half-Life 3. I would also bet they want to build a new Source engine to put their new games on, which could also be holding everything back.

norm41x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13  Edited By norm41x
Member since 2011 • 813 Posts

I would laugh and cry myself to death if they didn't want to make anymore after the massive cliffhanger of Episode 2.