When do you count a game as 'complete'?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

tobes1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 tobes1993
Member since 2011 • 227 Posts

I'm awful at 'completing' games and normally have about 10 on the go at once, but this may be because i never feel like i've completed a game until i've 100% it, collectables and all.

So when do you feel satisfied with what you've achieved in a game, finishing the story or getting every singlelast thing that the game has to offer? And what about online multiplayer?

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#2 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

Getting online multiplayer trophies/achievements is something I don't do often, because it's time-consuming and takes a long time to earn than others, even though they feel rewarding when you finally get there. So I often concentrate on single-player campaign completion.

For example, Fist Of The North Star: Ken's Rage...I earned all the achievements that they offered in the game. That's great, but I still need to max out every one of my characters and finish up with their skill trees, along with maxing out with their offense and defense before they are complete. Once I accomplish that somewhere down the road, then that's when I know I have completed the game in its fullest. Same thing for a game like Super Metroid...I want to earn every single item, collectible, etc AND earn the best ending possible in under two hours. I earned that years ago and it was exhilarating!

LordBrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 LordBrew
Member since 2008 • 269 Posts

Once I've completed a single player campaign or the main story of a game I count it as being complete.

Seeing the credits roll gives a sense of completion for me, collecting all achievements/trophies comes secondary/when I can be bothered.

Mo-licious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Mo-licious
Member since 2011 • 602 Posts

Once I've completed a single player campaign or the main story of a game I count it as being complete.

Seeing the credits roll gives a sense of completion for me, collecting all achievements/trophies comes secondary/when I can be bothered.

LordBrew
I agree with this as well. Although for some reason I could not stop playing Just Cause 2. Too much open world fun! :)
Moon__Light

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Moon__Light
Member since 2011 • 125 Posts
Once I see the credits thats when the games complete to me. If I enjoyed the game i'll go back later on and replay it or go for extra trophies.
doomguy9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7 doomguy9
Member since 2011 • 355 Posts

After I finished the campaign on the hardest difficulty.

MetallicaKings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 MetallicaKings
Member since 2004 • 4781 Posts

After I finished the campaign on the hardest difficulty.

doomguy9
This for FPS's. Open World RPG's, I need to finish every side quest, every misc quest, everything for be completed.
Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 Shenmue_Jehuty
Member since 2007 • 5211 Posts

I'm not quite the completionist you are, but I typically consider a game complete when I've beat the main story or mode. I often do a bunch of side stuff later, but I never feel like I didn't finish if I don't.

mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 mrmusicman247
Member since 2008 • 17601 Posts
When you see the credits, you've completed the game.
Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#11 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

After I beat the main campaign, I suppose I count it as "beat." "Complete" for me would be 100% on everything.

TheSaxantonio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#12 TheSaxantonio
Member since 2011 • 26 Posts
Well I do one of two things. I count a game as "Done" when I reach the final boss or boss-like figure and credits start rolling. I count a game as "Complete" when I've collected all of the main/key items or finished all side quests before reaching the final boss.
Reptylus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Reptylus
Member since 2009 • 1875 Posts
Well I do one of two things. I count a game as "Done" when I reach the final boss or boss-like figure and credits start rolling. I count a game as "Complete" when I've collected all of the main/key items or finished all side quests before reaching the final boss.TheSaxantonio
Same here.
Alex3796

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 1

#14 Alex3796
Member since 2009 • 2669 Posts
Full completion: 100% everything. (Achievements, collectables, etc) Standard completion: Beat the game.
Avatar image for broken_bass_bin
broken_bass_bin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 broken_bass_bin
Member since 2009 • 7515 Posts

When the main single-player campaign has reached its climax, the ending sequence has played, and the credits begin to roll.

SplatterDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SplatterDuck
Member since 2010 • 2562 Posts
When Ive finisher the SP campaign's story
koospetoors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 koospetoors
Member since 2004 • 3715 Posts
Definitely when I've seen and experienced everything there is to see and experience. Collectibles excluded though, I never go through the effort of finding them unless you get something worthwhile for doing so.
Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#18 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

I consider it "complete" when the credits roll. If I like a game well enough to platinum it, well, that's way more than complete - that's platinumed :)

jcopp72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 jcopp72
Member since 2007 • 5375 Posts
when the credits roll.
Alter_Echo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Alter_Echo
Member since 2003 • 10724 Posts

100% minus any Multiplayer stuff.

luke1889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 luke1889
Member since 2004 • 14617 Posts

Seeing the credits, I guess. I never usually go for 100% completion because that's often a nightmare of a task which falls victim to the law of diminishing returns. :P Often when I'm playing a game, I'll mentally form reasonable mental objectives on the way and, so long as I achieve those, I'm a happy bunny.

Gamingclone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Gamingclone
Member since 2009 • 5224 Posts

100%, thats the only time I ever finish a game.

blueboxdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 blueboxdoctor
Member since 2010 • 2549 Posts

I was actually going to try to get my first plat with AVP until I found out it's impossible to get into an online match which is needed for some of the trophies. But as for completing a game it's after beating the story and playing it until I'm satisified with what I've played. I'm not much of a trophy hunter so I don't go by that.

michaelP4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 michaelP4
Member since 2004 • 16681 Posts
I count a game as complete when I have done everything there is to do in the game and got all the trophies. Although at the same time, I'm not an absolute perfectionist. If I can't get do something in a game or get a certain trophy, then I move on from it. Additionally, I try to remind myself that I play games for fun, so when I stop having fun, I also move on from it.
Avatar image for GreekGameManiac
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 GreekGameManiac
Member since 2010 • 6439 Posts

When i complete it.

As for 100%...yes,i guess that's when it's really complete.

pepsisafc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#26 pepsisafc
Member since 2011 • 478 Posts
once the story is done and it says 100% done
dkilmurray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 dkilmurray
Member since 2005 • 200 Posts

Finishing it on the hardest difficulty, collecting everything in the game, unlocking everything and getting all the achievements (if applicable)

mmmwksil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 mmmwksil
Member since 2003 • 16423 Posts

When I see the credit roll. I play more if I feel there's more fun to be had from the game.

Avatar image for the_ChEeSe_mAn2
the_ChEeSe_mAn2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 the_ChEeSe_mAn2
Member since 2003 • 8463 Posts
When I see the ending credits :)
Moxie7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Moxie7
Member since 2011 • 88 Posts

When I've finished the game on the hardest mode I'm interested in playing. If there's trophies/achievements, I feel like I finished the game when I've picked up the ones that aren't ridiculously time-consuming to finish (multiplayer ones, finish nightmare mode without ever dying, etc).

Kagai13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Kagai13
Member since 2010 • 571 Posts
Once I finish main story (but I always do most of the subquests. don't bother to get the collectables tho)
Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Zevvion
Member since 2009 • 454 Posts

Complete? I guess when everything is at 100%.

I do, however, consider a game 'cleared' when the credits roll. I guess it's the same as what most people said thus far. However, I do get allot more satisfaction from clearing a game on the hardest difficulty setting. It amplifies the credits-rolling-sensation 10 fold for me.

Pixel-Perfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#33 Pixel-Perfect
Member since 2009 • 5778 Posts

When the credits roll I'm comfortable saying I've finished it, anything after that is optional.

For fighters and puzzlers it doesn't really matter, so I feel pretty comfortable buying those even though my backlog is huge. :P

doubalfa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 29

#34 doubalfa
Member since 2006 • 7108 Posts
A quick resume on me completing a game, I'm currently playing Assassin's Creed Brotherhood, and I've finishe3d the memories to 100% (also secondary ones) collected all flags, feathers and treasures, all weapons and shops quest, assassin contracts, I bought everything there was to buy all my assassin's are top rank, I'm currently golden medalling all Animus challenges, and well I still have to play the MP to get challenges, abilitys and whatnot, I also want to 100% the achievements,
gmaster456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#35 gmaster456
Member since 2008 • 7569 Posts
I consider the game as completed once I finish the Single player on the "Normal" setting.
JonathanL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#36 JonathanL
Member since 2002 • 22123 Posts

It really depends. Sometimes I think a game is done when I've beaten it. Other times it's done when I've accomplished everything. Some games are never finished so long as I can get better at them. " Bastion will be complete for me once I beat New Game +. I'm not concerned about other accomplishments, thoug I may try for more weapons challenges. It depends on how much I like the game and how much incentive I have to do things beyond the main story.

Wolfetan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Wolfetan
Member since 2010 • 7522 Posts

LordBrew
This.
majinstrings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 majinstrings
Member since 2004 • 3109 Posts

If I get to the end of a game and the credits roll, I consider that beating the game...but totally completing a game would require me to find all collectibles andunlockables or (in the case of 360 games) getting all the achievements...

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#39 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
I'm not leet enough to finish a game on hardest difficulty. I usually just play on normal mode because that's where I find the most enjoyment without the frustration... Even if I wanted to play on hard mode.. I'm already out of sync with the game and I just want to move on to something new.
ShwnzoCorruptd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ShwnzoCorruptd
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Once I have 100% completed the trophy list is when I count a game as complete
OmenUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#41 OmenUK
Member since 2011 • 1268 Posts

It really depends on the game I am playing. Where there is a record of what you've achieved and it calculates the percentage you have completed I try to get that to 100% although that's not exclusive to all games so for the main I am just happy to just complete the single player story/campaign.

I do try to get as many trophies as I can, although I can't really say I include that as part of game completion just more as a extra feture to do/ignore depending on if I liked the game.

IIRiSEII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#42 IIRiSEII
Member since 2011 • 66 Posts
To me, completing a game is based off of the campaign/story mode. Once you defeat or finish the end game mission, the game is complete. As far as items and collectibles are concerned, if they are needed to complete the campaign or progress further, collecting them are vital. But once the credits roll, the game is done.
AzelKosMos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#43 AzelKosMos
Member since 2005 • 34194 Posts

I'm awful at 'completing' games and normally have about 10 on the go at once, but this may be because i never feel like i've completed a game until i've 100% it, collectables and all.

So when do you feel satisfied with what you've achieved in a game, finishing the story or getting every singlelast thing that the game has to offer? And what about online multiplayer?

tobes1993
Now days I only play my PS3 so tend to set the goal at a platinum trophy regardless if that involves collecting everything.
Pvt_r3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Pvt_r3d
Member since 2006 • 7901 Posts
When I have reached the true ending or completed all endings in a game.
Eponique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#45 Eponique
Member since 2007 • 17918 Posts
When I finish the main story, I consider it "finished". However, to "complete" a game I feel I must get 1000/1000 achievements or equivalent on Wii/handhelds (unless it has online multiplayer achievements, I attempt those but I won't necessarily bother with all of them). There are a lot of games I don't complete though, and plenty of I don't like that I don't even bother finishing.
hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22377 Posts
[QUOTE="LordBrew"]

Yeah same here... I'm not much of a collector, whether it be trophies or gamerscores etc.
Calvin079

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#47 Calvin079
Member since 2008 • 16406 Posts

LordBrew

This. Main Story/Campaign til the credits roll. Achievements I try to avoid, unless if I do get one or can try for later if I feel like it.