What's gaming coming too?

• 53 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

RageQuitter69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#1 RageQuitter69
Member since 2012 • 1366 Posts

I saw a thread over on the PS3 forums about Heavy Rain being overrated, i'm not bashing the game but I think it's overrated, i'd give it a 7.0/10

But seriously is this a time where critics and gamers would rather this:

Over this:

or this:

Avatar image for almasdeathchild
almasdeathchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 almasdeathchild
Member since 2011 • 8922 Posts

welcome to the new generation where horror games are now action genre and the highest games are actually movies

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
why not both
Nega3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Nega3
Member since 2010 • 1069 Posts

Heavy Rain is SUPPOSED to be an interactive movie.

Games like Uncharted and MGS4 are supposed to be action games but are mostly cutscenes. THAT isn't good.

EDIT: FVCK YOU TINYPIC

RageQuitter69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 RageQuitter69

Games like Uncharted and MGS4 are supposed to be action games but are mostly cutscenes. THAT isn't good.

Nega3

How is Uncharted mostly cutscenes, I have all 3 games and they are primarily made up of gameplay. I know heavy rain is supposed to be an interactive movie but who wants to shake their controller backwards and forwards for two minutes to brush their teeth.

Nega3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Nega3
Member since 2010 • 1069 Posts

[QUOTE="Nega3"]

RageQuitter69

How is Uncharted mostly cutscenes, I have all 3 games and they are primarily made up of gameplay. I know heavy rain is supposed to be an interactive movie but who wants to shake their controller backwards and forwards for two minutes to brush their teeth.

OK I should have rephrased that.

Uncharted isn't full of cutscenes but it's extremely scripted. I've only watched gameplay videos though.

Vangaurdius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 Vangaurdius
Member since 2007 • 671 Posts
The same thing music, movies, and TV has come to. In general the popular stuff usually sucks do to the lack of intelligence in the majority of the population, and every once in a few years something good will come out. It happens to anything that becomes popular. They all try to appeal to the largest possible audience and in turn any sort of quality goes down the drain leaving only a dedicated few worth paying attention to. "The ugly and the stupid have the best of it in this world. They can sit at their ease and gape at the play. If they know nothing of victory, they are at least spared the knowledge of defeat."
RageQuitter69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 RageQuitter69

welcome to the new generation where horror games are now action genre and the highest games are actually movies

almasdeathchild
So true, I hate this generation, let's go back to the days of San Andreas
Avatar image for almasdeathchild
almasdeathchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#9 almasdeathchild
Member since 2011 • 8922 Posts

[QUOTE="almasdeathchild"]

RageQuitter69

lord knows how many freaking hours ive wasted of my life on that game

RageQuitter69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 RageQuitter69

[QUOTE="RageQuitter69"][QUOTE="almasdeathchild"]

almasdeathchild

lord knows how many freaking hours ive wasted of my life on that game

Same here, I still play it regularly on my laptop
Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 Ilovegames1992
Member since 2010 • 14221 Posts

Heavy Rain was done years ago.

Fahrenheit.

Also, Fahrenheit was done years ago, its called Dragons Lair.

Nothing changes.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

You mention Saints Row III yet it was hailed by critics and even recieved many goty awards. I think wiiu will be sign of things to come. Nintendo will be the first out of the game, a new concept usually arrives on a new console, and then some kind of new genre/sub-genre is formed. FULL REACTIVE EYES ENTERTAINMENT...unfortunately, gaming milestones can often lead to not so great things.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

As I've observed before, I fail to understand your constant whining over SR's reception given that it gets solid reviews and sells well (even derivative, boring sewage can sell if the game its aping is popular enough).

Anyone who claims Heavy Rain is an interactive movie must be speaking from a position of profound ignorance (that is the most charitable thing I can say about such people). Heavy Rain offers a context sensitive control scheme which always gives players a range of options and allows them full control over whatever actions they choose to initiate, with the difficulty of actions for the character mirroring the difficulty of actions for the player. My only issue with HR was the RE1 ****controls for character movement.

Most games give players a standard set of moves (shoot, throw grenade, melee) and perhaps there are special places where hitting a button triggers something nonstandard (walk up to a computer, press A and your character might sit down and hack into it). As David Cage observes, the thing about standard control schemes is that developers than feel obligated to give players problems which can be solved within standard control schemes (if you have buttons dedicated to shooting and throwing grenades, progress tends to be contingent upon shooting and throwing grenades).

What Cage did was offer players a nonstandard control scheme which changed depending on what situation a player was in. For example, early on in HR you are a father, your son is sitting in front of the tv and on the fridge is a 'to do list'. You can do everything on that list, nothing on the list, you can do things out of order and you can do stuff that isn't on the list (the clock is ticking the whole time and if you do nothing on the list your kid watches tv, then gets some pizza out of the fridge and goes to bet). A bit later there is a scene where you talk to a prostitute (you have multiple tacts to use when quesitoning her, and your choices impact how much information she gives you). After you leave, an angry guys walks past you and into her room. You can choose to just keep on going, or your can go back and try to defend the women from the angry guy. Its all in your hands. Not every choice matters past the scene in which the choice is made, but the mere existence of a choice beyond how to kill enemies is welcome. As I (and many critics and game designers) have stated Heavy Rain represents a step forward for non-action game design. The format would work perfectly for say, a game where you are trying to unearth a spy or win the heart of the girl of your dreams.

Saint's Row on the other hands is just another in the game industry's long and sorry history of 'me-too' games. Its not utterly terrible, but prior to SR3 clearly the designer's only thought was 'I want me some of that sweet San Andreas pie!'. Sadly and bizarrely, the SR games lack the depth of San Andreas. One of SR's biggest failures is character customization. I've heard the developers (and some fans) boast about its character customizations, but the sad fact is that customization is utterly meaningless. In San Andreas players didn't just select a type, their life****dictated the abilities (and limitations) of their character. A guy who lifted weights all the time would be massive and hit like a ton of bricks, but also a bit slow and lacking in stamina. A guy who ran or swam all the time would be slender and not hit very hard, but be fast and have a ton of endurance. A character who didn't exercise and gorged on cheeseburgers would be fat, slow and lacking in stamina. Just as interestingly, people's reactions to your character were informed by his appearance.

By way of contrast, SR has a vast range of customization options, but its all meaningless. It didn't matter if one was a five and a half foot man with green skin and glowing red eyes or a women that looked like Meghan Fox, people all treat you the same and make no comment upon your appearance. *Shrugs* At least SR3 reportedly found its own feet rather than merely trying to ape GTA. I was interested in trying it, but sadly, the designers only offered me the meaningless character generator.

RageQuitter69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 RageQuitter69

You mention Saints Row III yet it was hailed by critics and even recieved many goty awards. I think wiiu will be sign of things to come. Nintendo will be the first out of the game, a new concept usually arrives on a new console, and then some kind of new genre/sub-genre is formed. FULL REACTIVE EYES ENTERTAINMENT...unfortunately, gaming milestones can often lead to not so great things.

Heirren
Saints Row 3 received many GOTY awards, no offence, but have you been living under a rock, nearly every GOTY award went to the unplayable Skyrim.
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

[QUOTE="Heirren"]

RageQuitter69

Saints Row 3 received many GOTY awards, no offence, but have you been living under a rock, nearly every GOTY award went to the unplayable Skyrim.

I know. I find that rather odd considering Skyrim is a sloppy game, but at least it is gameplay right?

tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 tjricardo089
Member since 2010 • 7429 Posts

Games mostly suck nowadays, get used to that.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

If you don't like games now and days, go ahead make your own studio

I'll be waiting....

RageQuitter69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 RageQuitter69

[QUOTE="RageQuitter69"][QUOTE="Heirren"]

Heirren

I know. I find that rather odd considering Skyrim is a sloppy game, but at least it is gameplay right?

True, it's gameplay, when it works :/
-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#19 -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts

What's grammar coming too?

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#20 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

I think it's a combination of games being in hi-def, which made them much more expensive to produce (and discouraged publishers from taking any chances), and gaming getting more mainstream success, which means it all panders to the lowest common denominator. You end up with the equivalent of network TV. The gaming media is the equivalent of TV Guide, just hyping up whatever junk is popular and ignoring / looking down their noses at everything else.

When businesses are small they do their best to please their customers. When they get larger they do their best to please their stockholders.

Yusuke420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Yusuke420
Member since 2012 • 2770 Posts

I can't believe you're bashing Metal Gear Solid 4 in 2012. That being said story is increasingly becoming a more important component to gaming and I for one welcome that idea.

RageQuitter69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 RageQuitter69

I can't believe you're bashing Metal Gear Solid 4 in 2012. That being said story is increasingly becoming a more important component to gaming and I for one welcome that idea.

Yusuke420
Go to page one of this thread and press Ctrl+F on your keyboard and type 'Metal Gear Solid 4' and nothing will happen because the picture is about Heavy Rain.
Yusuke420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Yusuke420

[QUOTE="Yusuke420"]

RageQuitter69

Go to page one of this thread and press Ctrl+F on your keyboard and type 'Metal Gear Solid 4' and nothing will happen because the picture is about Heavy Rain.

My bad I mixed this thread with another one of a similar theme. My main comment stll stands though. If people want to play an interactive story, then I don't see anything wrong with that. I haven't played the third one but Saints Row 2 wasn't all that in my opinion, so I don't see the big deal. It's not as if Heavy Rain is a multi platium juggernaught or anything so I don't see why you feel gaming is threatened by this.

MattDistillery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24 MattDistillery
Member since 2010 • 969 Posts

I really didn't like Heavy Rain or L.A Noire. I don't buy into this photo realism in gaming

RageQuitter69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 RageQuitter69

[QUOTE="RageQuitter69"][QUOTE="Yusuke420"]

Yusuke420

My bad I mixed this thread with another one of a similar theme. My main comment stll stands though. If people want to play an interactive story, then I don't see anything wrong with that. I haven't played the third one but Saints Row 2 wasn't all that in my opinion, so I don't see the big deal. It's not as if Heavy Rain is a multi platium juggernaught or anything so I don't see why you feel gaming is threatened by this.

I feel gaming is threatened by this because people said that Heavy Rain set a new standard for gaming, while over the top, pure fun games such as Saints Row 2, Saints Row The Third and Just Cause 2 fell under the radar pretty fast. If Heavy Rain is setting a new standard for gaming, how long before all games are like Heavy Rain, oh I can't wait to brush my teeth.
CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 CarnageHeart

[QUOTE="Yusuke420"]

[QUOTE="RageQuitter69"] Go to page one of this thread and press Ctrl+F on your keyboard and type 'Metal Gear Solid 4' and nothing will happen because the picture is about Heavy Rain.RageQuitter69

I feel gaming is threatened by this because people said that Heavy Rain set a new standard for gaming, while over the top, pure fun games such as Saints Row 2, Saints Row The Third and Just Cause 2 fell under the radar pretty fast. If Heavy Rain is setting a new standard for gaming, how long before all games are like Heavy Rain, oh I can't wait to brush my teeth.

Don't cry yourself to sleep. Saint's Row 3's sales were double those of Heavy Rain. The world is safe for derivative, stupid games.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#27 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

Since Heavy Rain came out, how many games had sequences where you brush your teeth? Or play with your children? Or simply take a shower? How many? None as far as I recall. So in the two years since Heavy Rain came out, NOT A SINGLE game was released that emulated it. So why do you feel threatened? You sound overly paranoid to me, and most of your threads are about doom and gloom as if the industry is going to crash under the weight of these cinematic games.

But guess what? Adventure games have always been part of this industry. Heavy Rain wasn't and will not be the last adventure game. Games like Sam & Max, The Longest Journey, and countless other adventure games came out in the 1990s, and early 2000s, and guess what? Gaming continued to evolve and produce games like Just Cause 2, GTA and Saints Row. People didn't cry when Point & Click games came out and won the hearts of many. Because they realized that it's just another experience. I think the problem is not heavy rain or people who like heavy rain, i think the problem is people like you who want every single dev out there to make the same f***ing game.

Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#28 Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts

I actually liked Heavy Rain, but at the time could not understand for the life of me why someone gave David Cage more money to make a narratively heavy game when he so absolutely fuc*ed Fahrenheit's story beyond repair. Still, Heavy Rain showed Cage had learned from his mistakes and possibly taken a CRW 101 class. I don't think it's a modern day classic like a lot of people do, but it is narratively far superior than much higher rated titles, like MGS4. Gameplay-wise, I could see people thinking it's good, or the worst thing ever. Some people simply aren't going to appreciate the concept of a game being so simplified to where the player simply becomes an instrument of forwarding the story instead of being more actively involved in HOW it plays out.

TheFallenDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 TheFallenDemon
Member since 2010 • 13933 Posts
Gaming has come to a horde of whining nostalgic junkies, unable to comprehend any game that tries to be something new.
keech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30 keech
Member since 2003 • 1451 Posts

Gaming has come to a horde of whining nostalgic junkies, unable to comprehend any game that tries to be something new.TheFallenDemon

I tend to agree. It's a sad day when any game that comes out and tries something new gets shot down. Don't get me wrong, sometimes all I wanna do in a video game is shoot things. But if that's all you ever want out of a game, and look down on any game that actually tries to get you to think. Well you're doing a disservice to you own intelligence.

Not all games that slowly ease you into the experience are bad games. Not every game has to dump you into the middle of gunfire and explosions the second you select "new game" in order to be good.

Vangaurdius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Vangaurdius

[QUOTE="TheFallenDemon"]Gaming has come to a horde of whining nostalgic junkies, unable to comprehend any game that tries to be something new.keech

I tend to agree. It's a sad day when any game that comes out and tries something new gets shot down. Don't get me wrong, sometimes all I wanna do in a video game is shoot things. But if that's all you ever want out of a game, and look down on any game that actually tries to get you to think. Well you're doing a disservice to you own intelligence.

Not all games that slowly ease you into the experience are bad games. Not every game has to dump you into the middle of gunfire and explosions the second you select "new game" in order to be good.

Except that's not whats going on nor why people are complaining.
Yusuke420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Yusuke420

It's crazy to complain about games learning to be more interested in narrative and story exposition.

Vangaurdius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Vangaurdius

It's crazy to complain about games learning to be more interested in narrative and story exposition.

Yusuke420
Games are about gameplay. If you want a story read a book.
c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#34 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

Games are about gameplay. If you want a story read a book.Vangaurdius

So you'd rather games not have stories at all?

keech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#35 keech
Member since 2003 • 1451 Posts

[QUOTE="keech"]

[QUOTE="TheFallenDemon"]Gaming has come to a horde of whining nostalgic junkies, unable to comprehend any game that tries to be something new.Vangaurdius

Except that's not whats going on nor why people are complaining.

In all due respect we must be reading different threads. All I'm seeing is a back and forth "narrative vs action" argument.

Maybe It's just me but it seems a lot of gamers have this "one sized fits all" mentality with how games should be. In the NES days the bulk of the games all played the same. Run from left to right, one button was jump and the other was attack. Games have gone past this, we have different genres and sub genres. Games have different art directions and different game mechanics. The same genres typically share similar mechanics. But comparing Saints Row and Heavy Rain is like comparing apples to lawn mowers.

The industry has gone past the "left to right, A is jump, B is attack" mentality. But I don't think many gamers have.

RageQuitter69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 RageQuitter69

[QUOTE="RageQuitter69"][QUOTE="Yusuke420"]My bad I mixed this thread with another one of a similar theme. My main comment stll stands though. If people want to play an interactive story, then I don't see anything wrong with that. I haven't played the third one but Saints Row 2 wasn't all that in my opinion, so I don't see the big deal. It's not as if Heavy Rain is a multi platium juggernaught or anything so I don't see why you feel gaming is threatened by this.

CarnageHeart

Don't cry yourself to sleep. Saint's Row 3's sales were double those of Heavy Rain. The world is safe for derivative, stupid games.

Saints Row 3's sales would have only been better due to being a multiplatorm game, Saints Row The Third did not receive the critical acclaim that Heavy Rain did and no one said that Saints Row The Third set a new standard but people did say that Heavy Rain set a new standard.
Yusuke420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Yusuke420

It's because Saint's Row is "DERIVATIVE", do you know what that means? It does nothing new, while games like Heavy Rain and L.A. Noire are setting the stage for games becoming more mature and putting spotlight on the story of these games doesn't make them any less fun for the people that enjoy them.

brucecambell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 brucecambell
Member since 2011 • 1489 Posts

[QUOTE="RageQuitter69"]

[QUOTE="Nega3"]

Nega3

OK I should have rephrased that.

Uncharted isn't full of cutscenes but it's extremely scripted. I've only watched gameplay videos though.

Uncharted is scripted but so are all games. Uncharted isnt anymore scripted than any other shooter, & in fact the goal of Uncharted was to put more control into players hands. That was Naughty Dogs Philosophy

For example in other action games the best moments take place in a cutscene. They do this becuz having certain action segments in games is a nightmare to do on a technical level. That why in other shooters the gameplay may consist of nothing more than cover, shoot, cover shoot. Developers wont take the time to make thrilling moments ( usually reserved for cutscenes ) playable

Uncharted on the other hand takes all those moments & gives players full control. An example would be from UC2 where a building collapses into another building, while you are still playing the game & in full control.

Another example in UC3 would be the Collapsing cruise ship, or the entire Airplane segment. All of those moments in other games would never, ever be made playable. They would be done in pure cutscene. ND strives to give player back control even in these moments, thereby being less restrictive to the player.

People mistakenly classify it as taking control away, rather when its actually trying to give control back to the players. I wish more games would do this.

RageQuitter69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 RageQuitter69

It's because Saint's Row is "DERIVATIVE", do you know what that means? It does nothing new, while games like Heavy Rain and L.A. Noire are setting the stage for games becoming more mature and putting spotlight on the story of these games doesn't make them any less fun for the people that enjoy them.

Yusuke420
*sigh*, What ever happened to the days when people rated a game on how fun it was, not how unique it was.
Yusuke420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Yusuke420

[QUOTE="Yusuke420"]

RageQuitter69

*sigh*, What ever happened to the days when people rated a game on how fun it was, not how unique it was.

When games like Halo and Grand Theft Auto started spawning a BUNCH of clones and gaming in some genres became formlamatic and increasingly became watered down experiences.

brucecambell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 brucecambell
Member since 2011 • 1489 Posts

As I've observed before, I fail to understand your constant whining over SR's reception given that it gets solid reviews and sells well (even derivative, boring sewage can sell if the game its aping is popular enough).

Anyone who claims Heavy Rain is an interactive movie must be speaking from a position of profound ignorance (that is the most charitable thing I can say about such people). Heavy Rain offers a context sensitive control scheme which always gives players a range of options and allows them full control over whatever actions they choose to initiate, with the difficulty of actions for the character mirroring the difficulty of actions for the player. My only issue with HR was the RE1 ****controls for character movement.

Most games give players a standard set of moves (shoot, throw grenade, melee) and perhaps there are special places where hitting a button triggers something nonstandard (walk up to a computer, press A and your character might sit down and hack into it). As David Cage observes, the thing about standard control schemes is that developers than feel obligated to give players problems which can be solved within standard control schemes (if you have buttons dedicated to shooting and throwing grenades, progress tends to be contingent upon shooting and throwing grenades).

What Cage did was offer players a nonstandard control scheme which changed depending on what situation a player was in. For example, early on in HR you are a father, your son is sitting in front of the tv and on the fridge is a 'to do list'. You can do everything on that list, nothing on the list, you can do things out of order and you can do stuff that isn't on the list (the clock is ticking the whole time and if you do nothing on the list your kid watches tv, then gets some pizza out of the fridge and goes to bet). A bit later there is a scene where you talk to a prostitute (you have multiple tacts to use when quesitoning her, and your choices impact how much information she gives you). After you leave, an angry guys walks past you and into her room. You can choose to just keep on going, or your can go back and try to defend the women from the angry guy. Its all in your hands. Not every choice matters past the scene in which the choice is made, but the mere existence of a choice beyond how to kill enemies is welcome. As I (and many critics and game designers) have stated Heavy Rain represents a step forward for non-action game design. The format would work perfectly for say, a game where you are trying to unearth a spy or win the heart of the girl of your dreams.

CarnageHeart

I agree with this as well. There is no harm done by having these games & in fact all it does is open up gaming, therby making more genres/or types of game available to people. It should only be seen as a good thing.

I love the above mentioned games like Just Cause 2 & SR 3 but the problem with games in general is people have this perception that gaming should all be !00% the same. It should all be about killing things, achieveing a high score, testing your hand/eye coordination, etc.

Gaming can be many things & the more it has to offer the better gaming is as a whole. For example i am loving "Journey" right now. Alot of people would complain it doesnt follow your typical game formula but this is also what makes it so special

The entire game is really a walking simulator. It does not challenge you & your hand/eye coordination, or make you kill things to progress. This elevates gaming & was able to provide me with an experience that i feel has something to offer me & other gamers.

The more types of games we have the better. More variety can only be a ghood thing. Only when all games become the same stale " Type" of game then we have a problem

HardGames420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 HardGames420
Member since 2011 • 233 Posts

If you don't like games now and days, go ahead make your own studio

I'll be waiting....

Ballroompirate

lol nice

Lulekani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Lulekani
Member since 2012 • 2318 Posts
Games Are Becoming More Diverse. Despite repitive games ,like Call Of Duty and EA Sports games, unique and unpredictable games like Heavy Rain and LA. Noir managed to rise up, Portal Too. I Think Whatever Happens There Will Always Be Something For Everyone.
Lulekani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Lulekani
Hey If All Else Fails We Can Always Try Crossovers and Mash ups. Resident Arkham : Evil City and Creed Of Duty : Assassin's Warfare, i hope gaming goes this way. Instead of New Ideas, lets Just Blend The Popular Ones.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 004050
Member since 2011 • 174 Posts

its gonna come to kinect and motion-sensored games i reckon.

iHarlequin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 iHarlequin
Member since 2011 • 1928 Posts

I agree. I find it ridiculous that some people call having more than one QTE option in Heavy Rain gameplay -- all you do is press a button or swirl the analog stick and your 'character' responds in a completely non-intuitive way. As in: 'tap square really fast and she'll escape the table she's bound to!'. That requires no skill, give a well-trained ape a controller and he'll do it.

On the other side of the spectrum are the games (HR is an interactive story, and it's not even a good one, so I won't be calling it a game) that rely on gameplay to be good: Metroid, Mario, Halo, LBP, Megaman, Zelda, Bauldur's Gate. Mario has one of the most simple stories -ever-, and is widely considered the best gaming series to have ever been developed. The clever design of its levels, the precise timing of your platforming to make it to an end, the bosses in Metroid Prime and Megaman: they took the knowledge you'd acquired throughout the game and put it to use -- you felt that the time you spent getting to the point was worth it, and that now your skills were being tested. Completely relevant to what I am saying is a video that Gamespot produced talking about how boss-fights are, nowadays, all show and no quality. Developers are opting for a cinematic approach (colossal enemies) and simply skipping the challenging part of a game or bossfight. Gameplay has given way to this 'hollywoodian' approach to gaming: massive budgest converted into grand cinematic pieces and superb voice acting, with little attention and innovation going towards the actual 'game' part of the game: the player interactions with the environment and his character.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 CarnageHeart

I agree. I find it ridiculous that some people call having more than one QTE option in Heavy Rain gameplay -- all you do is press a button or swirl the analog stick and your 'character' responds in a completely non-intuitive way. As in: 'tap square really fast and she'll escape the table she's bound to!'. That requires no skill, give a well-trained ape a controller and he'll do it.

On the other side of the spectrum are the games (HR is an interactive story, and it's not even a good one, so I won't be calling it a game) that rely on gameplay to be good: Metroid, Mario, Halo, LBP, Megaman, Zelda, Bauldur's Gate. Mario has one of the most simple stories -ever-, and is widely considered the best gaming series to have ever been developed. The clever design of its levels, the precise timing of your platforming to make it to an end, the bosses in Metroid Prime and Megaman: they took the knowledge you'd acquired throughout the game and put it to use -- you felt that the time you spent getting to the point was worth it, and that now your skills were being tested. Completely relevant to what I am saying is a video that Gamespot produced talking about how boss-fights are, nowadays, all show and no quality. Developers are opting for a cinematic approach (colossal enemies) and simply skipping the challenging part of a game or bossfight. Gameplay has given way to this 'hollywoodian' approach to gaming: massive budgest converted into grand cinematic pieces and superb voice acting, with little attention and innovation going towards the actual 'game' part of the game: the player interactions with the environment and his character.

iHarlequin

So you and this nameless Gamespot video you are citing somehow missed God of War 3, Metal Gear Solid 4, Bioshock, Arkham City, Demon's Souls (and I imagine Dark Souls, though I haven't picked that one up yet), Valkyria Chronicles, Killzone 3 (nods towards the MAWLR) and Vanquish (the bosses were incredible the first time you fought them). Good to know.

RageQuitter69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 RageQuitter69
[QUOTE="Lulekani"]Games Are Becoming More Diverse. Despite repitive games ,like Call Of Duty and EA Sports games, unique and unpredictable games like Heavy Rain and LA. Noir managed to rise up, Portal Too. I Think Whatever Happens There Will Always Be Something For Everyone.

Why does everyone have to mention Call of Duty on every overrated game thread.
Lulekani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Lulekani
[QUOTE="RageQuitter69"][QUOTE="Lulekani"]Games Are Becoming More Diverse. Despite repitive games ,like Call Of Duty and EA Sports games, unique and unpredictable games like Heavy Rain and LA. Noir managed to rise up, Portal Too. I Think Whatever Happens There Will Always Be Something For Everyone.

Why does everyone have to mention Call of Duty on every overrated game thread.

lol My Bad. I just couldnt help myself. Plus Its An Adjustment We Must All Endure . . . . Unfortunately.
iHarlequin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 iHarlequin
Member since 2011 • 1928 Posts

[QUOTE="iHarlequin"]

CarnageHeart

So you and this nameless Gamespot video you are citing somehow missed God of War 3, Metal Gear Solid 4, Bioshock, Arkham City, Demon's Souls (and I imagine Dark Souls, though I haven't picked that one up yet), Valkyria Chronicles, Killzone 3 (nods towards the MAWLR) and Vanquish (the bosses were incredible the first time you fought them). Good to know.

I figured that by telling you the source website you'd be able to do a little research. Regardless, here it is, spoon-fed:

Out With the New:http://www.gamespot.com/god-of-war-iii/videos/out-with-the-new-in-with-the-old-boss-fights-6370094/?tag=Topslot;WhatHappenedToBossFights;OutWithTheNewWhatHa

My main complaint isn't even about bosses and their current condition in gaming (I agree they're generally easier, but I also agree there are some games that still deliver): if you had read what I said without actively looking for something to prove me wrong, you'd see that my gripe is with the games that oversimplify what should be a difficult task by making it strictly QTE, or mainly QTE. It's a bad mechanic, leave it to those interactive DVD games.