What years do you consider the golden age of gaming?

• 135 results
Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#1 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

I been gaming for well over 25 years and I experienced alot of different generations of games and Era's from the rise of Nintendo in the 80's to present day. Looking back what decade or years do you think was the best of gaming and probably will never be topped?

For me it's 2000's you think I would of chose the 90's just for nostalgic reasons. But as great as that decade was for games nothing has comes close from 2001-2008 not only single player games but Multiplayer especially. What is your golden age of gaming? and favorite games of those years? here is my list of favorites from that time.

• Max Payne 1&2 PC
  • GTA games 3, Vice, San Andreas and IV.
  • Half Life 2
  • Counter Strike Source
  • Battlefield 2 PC
  • F.E.A.R. PC
  • Condemned Criminal Origins
  • SWAT 4
  • Medal of Honor Allied Assault
  • Crysis
  • Resident Evil 4
  • Mirrors Edge
  • Dead Space

I'm sure I'm forgetting alot but anyways whats your golden age of gaming?

Open_Lane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Open_Lane
Member since 2018 • 74 Posts

Golden eye and mario kart were amazing on n64. For me, that was the era i put in the most hours. Also spent a lot of time playing games such as mario bros, tetris, and a little later - sonic. Also went through an early FPS phase, wanting to play violent games like doom and duke nukem.

It’s really hard to pick one era.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11694 Posts

@warmblur: Find myself enjoying a lot of games from many generations, so I suppose every age is the Golden Age to me. Always find something retro or new that I adore and like playing. Last year was finding myself playing a lot of retro 16-bit generation games.

With that can't deny that 2001-2008 was a good time to enjoy games. Well. . . the main ones I enjoyed at that time came from 2002-2007. 2001 didn't do much for me, had the original Devil May Cry and Monster Hunter 2 yet they never aged well in my view and had far superior sequels down the road that seemed to fit the games intentions more fluidly. And 2008 think it was just Gears of war 2, CastleVania: Order of Ecclesia and Little Big Planet. Not my favorite games ever, but I did enjoy them a lot

With that, random shoutouts from 2002-2007-

Resident Evil Remake (2002)

Makai Senki Disgaea (2003)

Ninja Gaiden: Black (2004)

Devil May Cry 3 (2005)

Demento (2005)

Tekken 5 (2005)

Super Mario Galaxy (2007)

*That list would include Resident Evil 4 but you already noted that one :)

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
Member since 2015 • 2814 Posts

The late 90s for me.

This was an exciting time since gaming was transitioning from 2D to 3D and therefore developers were doing lots of experimentation and us gamers were getting to enjoy many fresh and revolutionary experiences.

Another great thing about that time period was that at that time you had three console makers that all had great consoles which were unique from each other. Sega was bringing the arcade into your house with their consoles, Sony was delivering a more mature and cinematic experience than anything we had seen before, and Nintendo created the ultimate party machine with the N64. And then you also had the PC which also offered a completely different experience than any of the three console makers at that time. I miss the days when all systems had their own unique identity and value like this.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5  Edited By AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

For PC Gamers there is no question about it........1997 - 2000 inclusive.

From the original Diablo at the tail end of 1996 (I consider it a 1997 game) and GL Quake in January 1997 on to No One lives Forever, Sacrifice, and The Longest Journey in November 2000 it was 1 hell of a ride in the 3dfx era.

At least 20 fantastic games for the PC in each of the 4 years.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 RSM-HQ
@AFBrat77 said:

For PC Gamers there is no question about it........1997 - 2000

From the original Diablo at the tail end of 1996 (I consider it a 1997 game) and GL Quake in January 1997 on to No One lives Forever, Sacrifice, and The Longest Journey in November 2000 it was 1 hell of a ride in the 3dfx era.

At least 20 fantastic games for the PC in each of the 4 years.

Dungeon Keeper also came out in 1997 :)

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

@RSM-HQ:

Yes, ALOT of great stuff in 1997, I remember those big Dungeon Keeper boxes at CompUSA "Evil is good" I think they said.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By RSM-HQ

@AFBrat77: Honestly I just don't know lol.

Dungeon Keeper was way before my time as a Gamer, yet I love them regardless. Never saw a physical copy.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

The 2000's decade was just a less-exciting extension of the 90's to me.

Nice parts of the 90's I remember:

1. LAN gaming and MP online gaming broke out from 2-player, modem-modem play. Most online gamers were still using modems. But, the decade also saw cable broadband appear. Their owners usually played host on private servers.

2. There's still nothing comparable to the impact MP Doom had on daily life. Doom became the scourge of company networks and the boogeyman of enterprise IT departments. Of course, kids then would know nothing about it. Hell. I even found Doom installed on the computers of the Red Flag building at Nellis AFB. The taxpayers would have loved that.

No wonder a lot of employees worked late.;)

3. 16-bit to 32-bit. Transition from sidescrollers and top-down to a more real (and practical) 3D-perspective view.

4. 3D-acceleration. Nuff said.

5. The first Internet gaming forums came online after the Internet itself went public in 1996.

Being on the PC, new fads were introduced. Few took hold. But, I love the effort made. Even then, some people were already envisioning PC and console gaming eventually merging. Some tried to make it sooner.

Like the 3DO Blaster, for example:

Loading Video...

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

yeah, it's probably that 2001-2008 window. There was a great combination of enthusiastic spending from gamers and interest from investors. Led to tons of games, studios popping up overnight and dropping modern gameplay gems, East and West development schools in full swing. I don't think it gets mentioned enough how hard the financial crisis hit gaming. As good as 2008-2013 was, behind the scenes studios were dropping like flies, Japanese development went into the toilet, Ubisoft went from being a risk-taker and innovator to becoming Activision-Lite. Still haven't recovered. There are still a number of good games, just the gaps between have gotten larger. Indies have made a good go of it, but it's like going to a restaurant and ordering nothing but appetizers...at some point you just want that steak, and unfortunately EA, Ubisoft and Activision are only in the business of leftovers.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11 mrbojangles25  Online
Member since 2005 • 58538 Posts

None, it's constantly evolving, improving, getting worse. There is no static block of years where gaming was at it's best.

I will say that gaming keeps getting better and better and better, however. The only thing I would like to see more of is AAA developers being a bit more diverse in their projects; stop making like 10 sequels, stop making big boring open world games, stop making every game with an online component we don't always need online, etc.

dragonfly110

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#12  Edited By dragonfly110
Member since 2008 • 27955 Posts

I don't know if I'd consider any specific era the "golden age" but I do feel there are definitely golden years where a significant amount of phenomenal games do come out.

To name a few off the top of my head I'd have to say 1994,1998, 2001, 2007, 2011, and 2017 all qualify.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22417 Posts

Most of my favourite games (except for a few) come from last gen (360/PS3)... so I'd probably go with that.

Bush_Dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Bush_Dog
Member since 2017 • 294 Posts

Mine is 2000 - 2005, When PS was the king console and has a lot of single player games to choose from and Xbox was still not popular. Also along with Gameboy and DS as handhelds.

soul_starter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 soul_starter
Member since 2013 • 1377 Posts

I'd say from the late 90s to around 2005-ish for the golden age of gaming. Think about it, Tekken, FF, GT, MGS, Burnout, Halo, Mario, Resi, Zelda and so many other series were all at, or near their best. Consoles were genuinely different from PCs and there wasnt a micro transaction in sight.

The PS3/360/Wii gen was very good too and some of the best games of all time are from that era but it didnt have the same quantity as what had come before. Plus, we started seeing the seeds for modern loot boxes, half finished games, micro transactions and online always being planted. For me that is a huge problem.

The current gen is the worst/weakest/most rip off generation of gaming ever.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c56012aaa167
deactivated-5c56012aaa167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16 deactivated-5c56012aaa167
Member since 2016 • 2538 Posts

From 1987-2005.

After that you can clearly see that most of the new games are just sequels and no publisher risks that much with making new franchises.(In this generation I have barely seen any new franchise)

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 Valgaav_219
Member since 2017 • 3130 Posts

I'd say late 90's to early 2000's. The move from 2d to 3d as well as discs allowing them to use much more memory which led to advancements like voice overs, larger worlds, more content, etc. For me it was the Golden Age of JRPG's on PS1 that kept it going on PS2 with games like FFX, Dark Cloud, Xenosaga, and Kingdom Hearts. The improvements between those 2 gens were astounding tbh

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 TryIt
Member since 2017 • 13157 Posts

Golden Era is now.

Here is a sample of games that explains why I say that:

Space Engineers,Medieval Engineers,7 Days to Die,Imperium Galactic Survival,The Forest,Subnautica,Life is Feudal,Stranded Deep,From the Depths,Kerbal Space Program,StarMade,Another Brick in the Mall,Elite Dangerous,Kenshi,RimWorld,Hospitalize,Kingdoms,Wurm Unlimited,My Summer Car

deadlee1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By deadlee1980
Member since 2018 • 2 Posts

For me it was 99 onwards in the days of Everquest. Have hung up my wizarding cloak for now though and looking for a new (not sub'd) game to play

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#20 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

@soul_starter said:

I'd say from the late 90s to around 2005-ish for the golden age of gaming. Think about it, Tekken, FF, GT, MGS, Burnout, Halo, Mario, Resi, Zelda and so many other series were all at, or near their best. Consoles were genuinely different from PCs and there wasnt a micro transaction in sight.

The PS3/360/Wii gen was very good too and some of the best games of all time are from that era but it didnt have the same quantity as what had come before. Plus, we started seeing the seeds for modern loot boxes, half finished games, micro transactions and online always being planted. For me that is a huge problem.

I couldn't agree more it's so damn depressing my passion for gaming has died down so much compared to what it use to be. Lets just hope things turn around if they don't I think these companies will eventually crash and rightfully so.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 TryIt

@warmblur said:
@soul_starter said:

I couldn't agree more it's so damn depressing my passion for gaming has died down so much compared to what it use to be. Lets just hope things turn around if they don't I think these companies will eventually crash and rightfully so.

I see it as the opposite.

This current generation of gaming is by far the best ever, and I started in 1980. its all happening on the AA(indie) market and mostly on PC but its HUGE. games like Space Engineers? are you friggin kidding me? or Kerbal Space program? or Subnuatica? fantastic games more revolutionary then anything before

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#22 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

16 bit era, hands down.

csgopro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 csgopro
Member since 2018 • 6 Posts

2004-2006, CS 1.6

soul_starter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 soul_starter
Member since 2013 • 1377 Posts

@warmblur said:
@soul_starter said:

I think the time for the big developers/publishers to crash is long gone. I hope I'm wrong and they take a huge hit and have to change their sleazy policies but I won't hold my breath.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10576 Posts

the early 90s era will always have a special place in my heart - the time when i really got into gaming. that covers the late master system / nes, the early megadrive / snes and the amiga eras. as a kid, i was so much more tolerant and forgiving with games, and my imagination used to run riot so i have soooooo many magical memories of systems and games.

but i'm someone who's enjoyed gaming through the generations so i mainly just remember the great games over the years, not so much the era

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 TryIt

@Macutchi said:

the early 90s era will always have a special place in my heart - the time when i really got into gaming. that covers the late master system / nes, the early megadrive / snes and the amiga eras. as a kid, i was so much more tolerant and forgiving with games, and my imagination used to run riot so i have soooooo many magical memories of systems and games.

but i'm someone who's enjoyed gaming through the generations so i mainly just remember the great games over the years, not so much the era

you really think the game of the 90s where better then lets say Subnautica? or Kerbal Space Program? or Space Engineers?

I just find that fascinating.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Macutchi

@tryit said:
@Macutchi said:

you really think the game of the 90s where better then lets say Subnautica? or Kerbal Space Program? or Space Engineers?

you find it fascinating that the games i played as a child have a special place in my heart?

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 TryIt

@Macutchi said:
@tryit said:
@Macutchi said:

you find it fascinating that the games i played as a child have a special place in my heart?

no that you consider games of the 90s to be way better then games like Elite Dangerous or The Forest or Empyrion - Galactic Survival.

what you can do in these games is like a 10 compared to what you could do in games of the 90s which was (by comparison) more like a 0.5 out of 10

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Macutchi

@tryit said:
@Macutchi said:
@tryit said:
@Macutchi said:

no that you consider games of the 90s to be way better then games like Elite Dangerous or The Forest or Empyrion - Galactic Survival.

point me to the bit of my post which says that

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 TryIt

@Macutchi said:
@tryit said:
@Macutchi said:
@tryit said:
@Macutchi said:

point me to the bit of my post which says that

The OP question was 'what do you consider the best' your answer was 'the 90s' then you described why.

I am addressing your conclusion that you see 90s era better than todays era. Yes I understand your personal reasoning but I still dont see how that can make said era better.

when I am asked 'which do you think is better' I perfer to answer the question without injecting 100% of my childhood nostalgia into the answer.

If somoene asks me 'what do you consider the best car' I am not going to say the B210 Datusn on Led Gasoline just because my critical years of growth that was the car we drove.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21709 Posts

1991-2004 (roughly gens 4, 5 & 6)

Long time yeah, but that's when the bulk of my favorite games came out.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#32 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59400 Posts

1996-2004.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#33 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

for me probably 2000-2007, that is when I started getting into gaming more seriously and there were so many great games it seemed.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Macutchi

@tryit: yawn. nowhere in my post did i say what you're concluding. and you know that. you don't find what i posted fascinating at all. you're just looking for an excuse to jump on your soapbox and blabber on about all the indie pc games you're playing, like you do in every post you make

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By jun_aka_pekto

I also miss the shareware era where many emerging developers got their start. The good thing about shareware is the players got to try out the game extensively for free. They only paid if they wanted more of it.

Hell. Shareware Doom with one episode had a much bigger hoopla than the actual finished game which has three episodes.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 TryIt

@Macutchi said:

@tryit: yawn. nowhere in my post did i say what you're concluding. and you know that. you don't find what i posted fascinating at all. you're just looking for an excuse to jump on your soapbox and blabber on about all the indie pc games you're playing, like you do in every post you make

A question was asked by the OP, you answer the question of 'what is the best era of gaming' as 'the 90s'.

that is what you said, why you said it is a different conversation at this time. you did answer a direct question with a direct answer of 'the 90s'. do you wish to correct your answer at this time?

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 TryIt

@Renegade_Fury said:

you guys really really should check out Subnautica and even Kerbal Space Program if you believe that

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#38  Edited By Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21709 Posts

@tryit said:
@Renegade_Fury said:

you guys really really should check out Subnautica and even Kerbal Space Program if you believe that

I have. Zero interest in those genres, and I dislike the art style too.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 TryIt

@Renegade_Fury said:
@tryit said:
@Renegade_Fury said:

I have. Zero interest in those genres, and I dislike the art style too.

Space Engineers has an Art Style? The Forest?

ok well anyway fair enough

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44627 Posts

I would say the 16-bit era. Soooooo many found memories with the SNES and many of its games along with many arcade games at around the same time. Some games I loved from that time were:

- Chrono Trigger

- Super Mario World

- Super Castlevania IV

- Street Fighter II

- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Arcade Game

- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time

- Final Fight

- Final Fantasy III(VI)

- Super Metroid

- Contra III

- Sparkster

- The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

- Lethal Enforcers

- Mega Man X

- Breath of Fire 1 & 2

and many, many more.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#41 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@warmblur:

1990 through 2005

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 TryIt

I am surprised at these answers

Although I agree around 2005 is when things went to poop, the past 4 years have been flat out mindblowingly amazing.

Which ironically started around the same time Early Access did and most of the amazing games I am refering to are in or from early access

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Macutchi
@tryit said:
@Macutchi said:

A question was asked by the OP, you answer the question of 'what is the best era of gaming' as 'the 90s'.

that is what you said, why you said it is a different conversation at this time. you did answer a direct question with a direct answer of 'the 90s'. do you wish to correct your answer at this time?

i said the early 90s has a special place in my heart but i remember the good games over the years not so much the era. if you could read i'm sure you'd have grasped that. i guess we should add reading, writing and not being an obsessive, weird little oddball to the list of things you struggle with

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By TryIt

@Macutchi said:
@tryit said:
@Macutchi said:

i said the early 90s has a special place in my heart but i remember the good games over the years not so much the era. if you could read i'm sure you'd have grasped that. i guess we should add reading, writing and not being an obsessive, weird little oddball to the list of things you struggle with

when I am asked 'what is the best car' I tend not to answer with B210 Dautsun even though from a nostalgia standpoint that would be the correct answer.

I see most people are answering the question from a nostalgia standpoint so I am outvoted by shear Hive force. Having said that, I still think this era is WAAAAAY better even when factoring in Nostalgia which for me would be 2002-2004

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By jun_aka_pekto

Add to the 90's more competition:

Computers: Amiga, Mac, IBM-compatibles. I included Mac because many of the first higher-res games were on Macs.

Laptops finally got a foothold with consumers.

Consoles: Sega, Nintendo, Sony, and a host of smaller platforms such as Neo Geo, 3DO, Turbografx 16, CD-32, CD-I

Color handhelds were taking root such as Lynx, Game Gear, Gameboy Color, etc.

The above is just the hardware. They all had the games too. Taken together, they make the 90's dwarf succeeding decades.

The only part of the 90's I didn't like was the enormous popularity of fighting games at the time much like 3rd-person games are now. Bleh. ;) A recipe for burnout.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Macutchi

@tryit said:
@Macutchi said:
@tryit said:
@Macutchi said:

when I am asked 'what is the best car' I tend not to answer with B210 Dautsun even though from a nostalgia standpoint that would be the correct answer.

I see most people are answering the question from a nostalgia standpoint so I am outvoted by shear Hive force. Having said that, I still think this era is WAAAAAY better even when factoring in Nostalgia which for me would be 2002-2004

you're not outvoted, it's not a competition, it's an opinion. i'll add opinions to the list of things you struggle with too

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 TryIt

@Macutchi said:
@tryit said:
@Macutchi said:
@tryit said:
@Macutchi said:

you're not outvoted, it's not a competition, it's an opinion. i'll add opinions to the list of things you struggle with too

I think everyone other than me is answering the question purely from a nostalgia perspective.

I do not consider the question to be relevant to nostalgia. Even so I still consider this era better even with nostalgia put into the equaition

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Archangel3371

Golden Age doesn’t mean when it was “the best” it means when a very high level of achievement was met, at least that is how I interpret it to be. This doesn’t mean that I don’t feel gaming has gotten better.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 TryIt

@Archangel3371 said:

Golden Age doesn’t mean when it was “the best” it means when a very high level of achievement was met, at least that is how I interpret it to be. This doesn’t mean that I don’t feel gaming has gotten better.

and the answer to that question given your definition would still be now and nostalgia would not trump 'best' or 'high level of achievement'

are we going to just make up random definitions now? regardless, etiher way my perspective on the answer is the same

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Archangel3371

@tryit: I guess when a high level of achievement is first met would be more appropriate then.