What Hobby/Interest Do You Have That Trumps Games?

• 77 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 0

#51 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

[QUOTE="UpInFlames"]

I don't have Hatful of Hollow itself, but I've heard most of the songs via other compilation albums. Morrissey's lyricism is simply unmatched, the way he sings so effortlessly about things everyone goes through in their lives, the fears and the sorrows and the occasional glimmer of hope...he makes it seem so easy and yet no one's even close to being on his level. Couple that with Johnny Marr's guitar melodies and you get one of the greatest bands in history.

Strangeways is good, hell, Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me is one of the best songs I've ever heard. That alone makes it a better album than 90% of stuff out there. And then there's Girlfriend In A Coma and Stop Me If You've Heard This One Before which are fantastic tunes as well.

Shame-usBlackley

"Paint A Vulgar Picture" was also really good. 

How'd you feel about his solo stuff? It's funny, because in a lot of ways, his solo stuff has been pretty consistent in both quality and consistency. I remember when The Smiths broke up, and I was thinking, "Well, so much for that," but when I heard Viva Hate, there was some amazing shlt on there -- Alsatian Cousin, Bengali In Platforms, Suedehead, and Every Day Is Like Sunday all blew me away.

He even kind of veered into rockabilly a little bit with "Your Arsenal," and it worked really well. "Vauxhall And I" is another standout record.

I actually never listened to his earlier solo stuff, don't even know why (I really should get on top of that, seriously). The only ones I did listen to were You Are The Quarry (which is f***ing brilliant) and Ringleader Of The Tormentors (which I found to be utterly disappointing).

lozengez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 lozengez
Member since 2011 • 490 Posts

[QUOTE="lozengez"]

[QUOTE="Shame-usBlackley"]

My wife, shooting, music, and travel all trump playing games. That's not an insult, though -- I love the first two more than my life. Gaming being a distant fifth is a hell of a compliment.  

Shame-usBlackley

You love shooting more than your life?  Like at the range, skeet or hunting?

I wish I could travel, but I am so neurotic I just cannot handle it.

Figuratively, of course. Range and skeet -- it has a calming effect on me. I also reload all of my own ammo, which is as much an art as it is therapeutic. I don't do much in the way of hunting. Going out and killing something, throwing it in the back of your truck, and passing by six grocery stores on the way home always seemed kind of pointless to me and insulting to the animal, especially since cleaning an animal is not pleasant. I'm pretty secure with my proficiency to know I could easily hunt and secure food for survival if I ever needed to, but I don't see the point when I can let someone else take care of all the nastiness. Too busy to go spend three days in the woods with a bunch of people you can't talk to, spraying yourself down with deer piss, and the reward is getting yourself covered in blood and shlt for a few lousy pounds of meat. :)

Beyond the shooting I have to do on my property, which is never enjoyable due to it always being to put-down dying livestock, I have tried skeet shooting.  I can see the appeal, but ultimately my mind kept drifting back to video game shooting.  It's a nice challenge though, a lot like bowling, in that once you get the muscle memory down it becomes a mental sport.

Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#53 Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts

Beyond the shooting I have to do on my property, which is never enjoyable due to it always being to put-down dying livestock, I have tried skeet shooting.  I can see the appeal, but ultimately my mind kept drifting back to video game shooting.  It's a nice challenge though, a lot like bowling, in that once you get the muscle memory down it becomes a mental sport.

lozengez

Yeah, Skeet is great fun. I like going out to the Skeet range with my Rem 870 pump and outshooting guys who have $4k over and unders. Nothing like taking two clays out on a doubles station with a pump shotgun. The over and under guys look at me like I am a disease, and I love it.

I just got a Benelli M4 last year for my birthday, and for grins one day when the range was quiet, I shot skeet with it. Pretty hilarious. Here it is in action (not me, of course):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwWowQDX8eY

SciFiCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#54 SciFiCat
Member since 2006 • 1750 Posts
Art, movies and writing.
Recon19D3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Recon19D3
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts

Well I live out in the country by about a dozen lakes, so I spend a lot of time with my firearms, hunting, fishing, gardening and I have a woodshop also.  I spend some time building military models and reading history and military books.  I also write for a small Indie/Retro gaming based website.  Between all that, work, wife and kids gaming is mostly now a late night or bad weather hobby for me, but I still love it just as much as I did when I was single and played 35 hours a week.

lozengez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 lozengez

[QUOTE="lozengez"]

Shame-usBlackley

Yeah, Skeet is great fun. I like going out to the Skeet range with my Rem 870 pump and outshooting guys who have $4k over and unders. Nothing like taking two clays out on a doubles station with a pump shotgun. The over and under guys look at me like I am a disease, and I love it.

I just got a Benelli M4 last year for my birthday, and for grins one day when the range was quiet, I shot skeet with it. Pretty hilarious. Here it is in action (not me, of course):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwWowQDX8eY

Just watched. :lol:

Gibsonsg527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Gibsonsg527
Member since 2010 • 3313 Posts

No, but the time and money that I put into movies is second to games. 

jcopp72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#58 jcopp72
Member since 2007 • 5375 Posts
in money terms - I collect nascar die cast, the 1:24 scale, they cost between $60 and $75 I usually spend more per year on these than games.
Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#59 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts
Probably none that matches the hours put into vidyagames. Movies/TV series and more recently martial arts. Hoping to do more travelling in the near future too.
Avatar image for JasonDarksavior
JasonDarksavior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#60 JasonDarksavior
Member since 2008 • 9323 Posts
Driving ... Love driving especially fun cars.
yellosnolvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#61 yellosnolvr
Member since 2005 • 19302 Posts
play bass and have been playing in a band around florida for over a year now. hobby that turned into a full-time job almost overnight
CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

In the past weightlifting and reading (I could easily bench twice my 240 lb weight not so long ago). Since I hurt my back a year ago (slowly easing back into weightlifting) just reading.

I read a lot of horror (Brian Hodge's books tend to run out of gas, but his short fiction collections such as Picking The Bones and The Convulsion Factory are excellent), fantasy (NK Jemisin, Glen Cook, Jim Butcher, George RR Martin), pop culture history (just read an excellent book called Who's Afraid of the Song of The South which talks about that and other aspects of Disney's history that it tends to play down) and actual history (right now I'm reading through The Negro's Civil War: How American Blacks Felt and Acted During the War for the Union). I also recently went through a couple of the old Hellboy graphic novels (at 10 bucks a pop its a pricey habit, but they are fun reads).

V3rciS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 V3rciS
Member since 2011 • 2241 Posts

Games > Movies > Beer > Anime > Books > Music
That's for me...

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

im a die hard college football fan, im not sure it trumps gaming though.. i put more money toward games than any other hobby

EvilSelf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#65 EvilSelf
Member since 2010 • 3619 Posts

I play football(soccer) on a weekly basis in a competative league. I will never give up that, provided i am healthy enough to play.

lozengez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 lozengez

I have to say I am impressed with how many of you have figured out how rewarding physical exercise is.

It doesn;t really match the typical gamer stereotypes, you know?

In fact, you all seem strangely well balanced for a bunch of game-forum dwellers. :P

Avatar image for PelicanRebelLdr
PelicanRebelLdr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 PelicanRebelLdr
Member since 2013 • 125 Posts
I like to read comic and play/watch sports.
bowserjr123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#68 bowserjr123
Member since 2006 • 2478 Posts

Watching sci-fi, playing tennis and ping pong, and working out are other hobbies I enjoy but not as much as gaming, they're pretty close though lol

Avatar image for deactivated-57d773aa56272
deactivated-57d773aa56272

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#69 deactivated-57d773aa56272
Member since 2006 • 2292 Posts

Music has crept up a little bit that and wrestling ofcourse.  But over the long haul gaming is still toward the top of list.

Solid_Link22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Solid_Link22
Member since 2006 • 5698 Posts

Im into bodybuilding and playing basketball.

lilasianwonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 lilasianwonder
Member since 2007 • 5982 Posts

Maybe WH40K.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#72 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

[QUOTE="immortality20"]

My major hobby is gaming, it used to be Magic: The Gathering but I quit that (for the third time in my life). I do also collect collectables like statues, action figures and the such, but only at the right prices. I also usually wait for price drops on most games, and look for sales on Ebay or on local classifides. I guess I usually do buy a new $60 games at least once a month though.

lozengez

Why quit it? I have long sctins of not playing it, but I still enjoy it whenver I can.

magic the gathering is fun...you could get caught up in all the hoopla
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#73 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
No, not really. However, as of late I've become more fond of reading novels. I've invested in many eBooks over the last year and have been reading through A Song of Ice and Fire lately, almost done.
MLBknights58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 MLBknights58
Member since 2006 • 5016 Posts

After a short stint of depression, getting back into bodybuilding.

I've also always wanted to learn to play the piano, so I'm taking lessons after semester.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17674 Posts
Skydiving would consume my life far more than games would if I could afford to get into it. Once I get the money to fully pursue that as a hobby, gaming will become #2.
lozengez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 lozengez

After a short stint of depression, getting back into bodybuilding.

I've also always wanted to learn to play the piano, so I'm taking lessons after semester.

MLBknights58

Bodybuilding (or any form of regular exercise) should greatly help ward off depression.

Zensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#77 Zensword
Member since 2007 • 4510 Posts
I have other hobbies but they don't trump games: drinking coffee at Starbucks and reading books. :)