What have games taught us?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ronycleydson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

Edited By Ronycleydson
Member since 2015 • 25 Posts

Everything in our lives, every happening, every experience can taught us something if you are willingly enough. Games may not teach us advanced calculus, or transport phenomenoms, but they can undoubtedly teach us somehitng.

Patience and perseverance

You are now fighting for the tenth time one boss, and you refuse to stop playing until you defeat it. I know a bunch of people that have experienced that a few hundred times. Dark souls is a game that really taught me patience and perseverance. For the patience bit, it’s kind of obvious. Do not rush on things. When I was fighting this huge goat boss ( THE GODDAM GOAT) for a a hour or so, I started to get really pissed off. But rushing things of Dark Souls is never a good thing, and somethings, when trying to be fast, I didn’t even mannage to get to the boss, dying before. On the boss fights you have to be patient. You got to wait the right moment to attack, to defend and to heal yourself. For the perseverance part, well, I just told I was trying to defeat the goat devil for more than 1 hour, you just can’t give up.

Patience is one of the things that most lack in people nowadays. They want everything fast, and can’t wait the right momment for things. This have a lot of implications, ranging from your personal and profissional life. Perseverance is also something quite scarce in our society. People can’t focus on one thing, giving up as soon as they see it is something hard. It’s easy to see people jumping from job to job, trying to find something easy and well paid. Of course that like everything else in the world, you need know when it is enough. You also have to know when to give up.

Management

Who in his sane mind is leting a crazy little boy manage a entire city? Well, in real life no one (At least a realy hope so) but in games the story is diferent. I can say with some certantiy that people’s first experience with management are games. Companies don’t want to give chances to unexperienced people in their business. When money is in play, things get serious. So games are the main source of management experience. Of course I’m not saying that running a company is the same as playing a game. If this was the case, lot’s of amuzement parks would have people flying on roler coasters (thanks roller coaster tycoon) and we would have aliens and robots attacking our city constantly. What I’m saying is that in strategy games, and even in RPGs or many other types,, you got to manage your resources.. They may not give us a direct experience with real life, but it’s what we get, and it’s good enough.

English

Here I must say that english is not my first language (Probably you could figure that out by some mistakes here in this text, that I have no idea that exists). I have been playing RPG games since I was a little kid. I know it’s weird, because I understood only a few words (Attack, defend, items, magic), and a kept skiping the dialogues. I don’t know why I loved them so much, but the fact reamains that I did. My constant contact with the english language eventually made me learn it. Of course I had some lessons, but I can definently say that the main reason I learned english was games.

Never underestimate a media potential

I was in my grandmas house where I was reading Scott pilgrim comics. My uncle entered the room and said something like “Wow, someone as serious as you reading a comic book?” And that really bugged me. I mean, not only comic books, but you can’t underestimate a media potential. In my experience, one of the most amazing story’s I have seen were in vídeo games. Final fantasy series, Bioshock, Dragon age, are exemples of superb story, storytelling, and world creation. I expanded this tought to basically any type of media. I mean movies, books, games, comic books everything can tell a good story. Good storys will always find their way.

Cooperation and teamplay

I’m a dota player. But this Works for any competitive team based multiplayer. I forgot the times where my team were beeing massacrated, and then we said “ Ok guys, let us breath deeply, and start to play this in a coordinated way” and it actually worked out. Of course this mostly works when you are with friends, because multiplayer games are probably a black hole for idiots, and this actually is a new lesson. You got to learn how to deal with assholes.

The relation of this with real life is also obvious. When you get your first job, you’ll probably know what I mean, if you haven’t experienced it yet.

Beauty in simplicity

The credits for this ix not only from vídeo games, but also music and movies (In my experience). Super Mario world. It’s a simple game, and also a masterpiece. You are this plumber, and you got to jump on turtle guys, and try to save the princess. So why is it so good? Because it’s simple. Everyone can play mario. A child and a adult, and they will probably both enjoy it.

A lot of things in the world and beautifull because they are simple. And most people are blinded by the complexity, that they fail to see the beauty it in everyday’s simplicity.

I’m not trying to explain my love for vídeo games by saying that they actually teaches me something. But if you pay attention to it, you’ll see that it’s true. As I said before, everything in life can teach you something if you are willingly enough.

What else have games taught you? Any interesting story? Do you agree that they can actually teach something? Coments below.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1  Edited By MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

Consequences don't matter, because if you don't like the consequences you can just do it over again.

Nearly all problems can be solved through violence.

Law and order are for pansies. The people who really get shit done are those who aren't beholden to rules and authority, and who take matters into their own hands.

Even the weakest most pathetic person can become a god-like beast by grinding long enough and raising his stats.

EDIT: And I agree that anything in life can teach you if you're willing to learn from it. I'd even take it a step farther. Everything in life can teach you something even if you AREN'T consciously willing to learn from it. Maybe ESPECIALLY if you don't view it as an opportunity to learn. Because if you're not viewing those messages with a critical eye, then you're letting your guard down while letting content creators tap into your brain.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

I'm sorry but I call bullsh!t on Dark Souls teaching you anything..... especially patience and perseverance.......

That maybe what it teaches you at first but it just loves changing tge rules when you least expect it..... starting with the Bell Gargoyles...... your patience is going to increases the chances of getting you killed...... the best strategy is to bum rush them..... the game mechanics don't support fighting two regular enemies at a time...... let alone two larger ones......

Next is Pinwheel..... we all know pinwheel is easy as pie..... but I bet those who decided to be patient will have a harder time as they get blasted with projectiles from behind......

And I'm saving the best for last..... The Four Kings.... do I even have to explain this one......

And thats just how it handles one single aspect....

I didn't learn anything in Dark Souls..... yeah I MEMORIZED a fuckton of stuff but the game is way too inconstant to allow for actuall learning.... theres nothing you can apply with actual consistency because it likes changing....

Also I killed the Taurus demon in 30 seconds..... +15 Great Scyth plus 50 Dexterity plus Power Within plus Hornet Ring plus Sunlight Blade equals a plunge attack that does more damage than it has health.....

If I had a more powerful weapon I'm sure I could one shot Gwyn aswell but but I can settle with 3 ripostes....

BTW Gwyn is another boss where bum rushing works......

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Lulu_Lulu

@MrGeezer:

Yep.... them stats are awesome....

dylandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#5 dylandr
Member since 2015 • 4940 Posts

@Ryagan: lel scrub

dylandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 dylandr

Games taught me how to carry 4 to 24 idíots and lunatics over a finish line, how to micromanage and it's only a crime if you are caught (the last one is a joke people!)

also taught me how patience can reward (MGS) and how force on just the right time can reward (MoBA and RTS games)

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 2

#7 mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

The biggest thing games taught me was how to understand emotions in others. Having Asperger's doesn't do me a lot of favors in the social department and I'm always grateful I was able to learn how to read others a little.

Games also taught me patience, teamwork, and enhanced my problem solving skills. They also showed me how to handle consequences since I'm not someone who reloads a save if something goes wrong. I live with the choice, learn from it, and move on.

angelcrr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 angelcrr
Member since 2015 • 254 Posts

The types of games I play (rpgs) have instilled in me the importance of love, friendship, teamwork, virtues; such as patience and understanding, and above all, they have taught me to never give up, no matter how dire the situation. ;)

moinsyyed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9 moinsyyed
Member since 2014 • 181 Posts

that resurrection is a thing...

waffleboy22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#10 waffleboy22
Member since 2013 • 305 Posts

I completely agree. Just like you can learn a message or idea from literature and film, you can learn things from games, possibly even more so since you are in direct control of the character, and sometimes even influence their plot decisions. I think games often get this reputation of being some sort of second rate entertainment that are inferior to other types of media like films and literature because they are the newcomer to the world of entertainment, having only really taken off over the past 20 years, and are therefor less suited to tackle big themes and ideas. the truth is that games are just as capable, sometimes even more so than more popular forms of media, and can teach unique and valuable lessons that people can carry through their entire lives

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#11  Edited By Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu: I can't disagree with you.

Although there are bosses that require dodging more so than hack and slashing.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Lulu_Lulu

@Minishdriveby:

If you can't Parry then Gwyn is one of those Bosses..... I think Big Ornstein is one too since that Grab is lethal.... it would've one shotted me if I wasn't wearing the fully upgraded giant set.......

And I think thats all of'em..... the rest people just seem to prefer tanking and there are some other Bosses that do requirer evasion but not strictly by dodging..... circle strafing and kiting.... most notable example would be The Gaping Dragon.....

Speaking of Bosses.... just a short while ago I decided to take on Bed of Chaos without using the Exploit....... I got pummeled into the dirt several times but I didn't die yet....... after destroying the orbs I made a beeline for the Roots...... BoC pummeled again.... this time midair..... I thought for sure I was gonna miss my landing..... luck I made it..... I sprinted for the and she hit me with Firestorm at the Exact same time I killed her......

I respawned at the Bonfire with Zero Souls......From Software trolled me hard on this one..... luckily it turns out my blood stain kept all the Bosses Souls...... the only loss was I didn't get a chance to slip on the Silver Serpent Ring and Symbol of Averice... I compenstated for that by Farming in the Painted World of Hairy Armpits.... speaking of which..... From Software think its fun to reduce the size of Priscilla's Hurtbox when shes invisible..... on top of that they let her dodge too..... serously.... grab a bow and see if you can hit her....... her foot prints will just stop and you'l get hit from the side..... on top of that I seem to be missing with my greatest range weapon even though my character model is clearly colliding with hers......

Why are they going to such great lengths to make sure we die...... why is dying so important to them ?

I've heard several times now that death is suppose to reinforce some aspect of the experience but I just don't see it....

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#13 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu: Even if you cannot parry, you can still cast iron flesh and 2-hand your weapon and hack and slash at Gwen.

Firesage, Artorias, The Sanctuary Guardian, Manus, and Kalameet all require dodging.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Lulu_Lulu

@Minishdriveby:

Iron flesh was severely nerfed in a patch..... nobody uses it anymore.......

I've don't have the DLC.... I've seen someone tank Artorias and semitank Manus and the Sancuary Guardian.... Obviously Kalemeet requires Dodging hes a direct upgrade from the Hellkite Drake.....

And if you're dodging The FireSage Demon..... you're working harder than I am...... I sprint right around him.....I assume people try to dodge because they locked on to him...... it works but it takes too long..... if you don't Lock On you can sprint right around him and trigger the butt stomp much much faster.....

Back on the topic of Manus and the Sancuary Guardian. Their combos attack faster than your character is capable of dodging....... what I see people do is just run the oppisite direction...... I don't know why From Software does this practily everyboss has one or two attacks that were simply designed beyond the scope of the Mechanics you are intented to use.......theres just some thing you can't dodge or block......

According to Epic Name Bro..... Miyazaki was dissapointed with the how he Designed Gwyn..... be allowing him to be Parried...... tgey can completely cut out all the other aspect if the fight..... the elimate the entire dynamic...... it became one dimendional........ but has it ever occured to him that maybe..... just maybe..... people wouldn't abuse this mechanic so much...... if you try anothing else he'l fucking kill you in one shot..... I must say I was shocked that never occurred to him..... Infact I was under the impression that he was funneling every body into playing thhat way..... why else would he render so many of the other options and strategies unviable ?

Manus is no different..... he's got an exploit too..... turns out you can pelt him with Arrows before you enter the white light...... a strategy people have no shame in using because nobody likes learning by dying.......

Not to mention this is pretty shitty design..... what kind of RPG discourages different play styles or makes you grind for hour before you can actually use them ?

torenojohn7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#15  Edited By torenojohn7
Member since 2012 • 551 Posts

If games have taught me anything its that life itself is one motherfuc*ing hard game! you have no checkpoints. no continues.. no retries.. you just have to ace the game like a pro!

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Lulu_Lulu

@torenojohn7:

On the bright side... theres lots of multiplayer....

dylandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 dylandr

we all forget the #1 lesson here: Never trust a robot with neurotoxin and turrets...

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Lulu_Lulu

@dylandr:

Even with the promise of Cake ?

dylandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 dylandr

@Lulu_Lulu: yes especially those only trust the GLAT4T0

Evil_Saluki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#20  Edited By Evil_Saluki
Member since 2008 • 5217 Posts

That if our world was ever under threat by a tyrannical powerful madman with a quest for world domination and an army to back it up, we must send in a few kids from a remote farming village to save us.

dylandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By dylandr

@Evil_Saluki: or a guy with a big ass sword and spiky hair...

SarahMDyson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SarahMDyson
Member since 2015 • 25 Posts

Games have tough me several things throughout my life. They continue to teach and inspire me in several ways. For example motivation to do better in and out of game conflict, organization and managerial actions. Games have the ability to also teach our children. Skill sets are pickup in game and used to the real world look here http://parentsresourceonsafeandresponsiblegaming.com/.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Lulu_Lulu

@Evil_Saluki:

With the power of true friendship.... :)