What game has been your biggest surprise so far this year?

• 69 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

With games like Modern Warfare 2, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, or Uncharted 2, we know it'll be good and worth getting. We expect great reviews, huge sales, etc.

But what is that one game (or games) that caught you (or all of us) by surprise? I guess these are games that got less hype or performed better than expected. It could even be games that nobody cared about, didn't sell, or that didn't get good reviews yet you personally enjoyed them.

For me, it has to be Borderlands, Batman Arkham Asylum, Deadly Creatures, and Torchlight.

Borderlands

Borderlands Picture

Because this game really had no hype. I remember making a thread about this questioning why nobody was talking about it. I remember a lot of replies being sceptical about it and wanting to wait for reviews. I think most of us were thinking that this is the type of game that will either fail or be average at best. But it was surprising how good this game really is! It sure caught me by surprise! Like Cliffy B said, Borderlands is a great modern-day Diablo re-imagination for the FPS generation.

Batman Arkham Asylum

Batman: Arkham Asylum Screenshot

Superhero games usually never turn out well. I guess it's because most superhero games are terrible, movie tie-in games. And especially for Batman. There has never been a good Batman game since the NES! So it was a HUGE surprise when Batman AA was getting "AAA" reviews! I think it got everyone's attention! I know it got mine. I honestly believe all of us didn't expect this game to be so amazing!

Deadly Creatures

Deadly Creatures Screenshot

I picked this game because it is unique for the Wii because the system is so full of shovelware. This game looks like a shovelware and even the title sounds like it. But it isn't a shovelware game by any means. It's disguised as one! And it got good reviews. And surprisingly enough, the game is pretty good too.

Torchlight

Torchlight Picture

I picked this because there have been so many bad Diablo-clones. But this one is a very good one and totally worth every penny. It's a budget-priced game which makes it all the more better. This was also a surprise hit for me.

Travo_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Travo_basic
Member since 2003 • 38751 Posts
Borderlands and Batman were my biggest surprises. I never expected Batman to be an exploration game, which is my favorite type of game. I never expected to love Borderlands as much as I do.
ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ASK_Story
Borderlands and Batman were my biggest surprises. I never expected Batman to be an exploration game, which is my favorite type of game. I never expected to love Borderlands as much as I do.Travo_basic
I think a lot of people will say Borderlands and Batman AA were the biggest surprises this year.
-eddy-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 -eddy-
Member since 2006 • 11443 Posts
NFS: Shift. A Need For Speed that didn't suck bawls. :D
R7_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 R7_3
Member since 2006 • 1565 Posts

Demon's Souls. I knew it was gonna be good, but i was so addicted to this game!

wizdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6 wizdom
Member since 2003 • 10111 Posts
knights of the nightmare for the ds is the only that comes to mind to me right now.
yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

[QUOTE="Travo_basic"]Borderlands and Batman were my biggest surprises. I never expected Batman to be an exploration game, which is my favorite type of game. I never expected to love Borderlands as much as I do.ASK_Story
I think a lot of people will say Borderlands and Batman AA were the biggest surprises this year.

And I'm another one. Batman was amazing and I didn't see it coming at all. Borderlands not so much because I was extremely excited for it and knew I'd enjoy it.

And I really want Deadly Creatures as well. Seems really cool, but doesn't seem to be availabe on Amazon. That's my only option right now... or Gamestop when I go home for Christmas.

richwalker13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 richwalker13
Member since 2007 • 375 Posts

Add another vote for Batman.... What a great game. Didn't think I'd like it but... woo!

tryagainlater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#9 tryagainlater
Member since 2005 • 7446 Posts

I have to say Batman as well. I knew the game would be great but I didn't think it would be as great as it was. MadWorld (that came out this year right) also surprised me.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44486 Posts

For me it was Batman AA mostly because I'm a bigger fan of Marvel so when it turned out to be my favourite comic book based game it was very surprising.

I still need to pick up Borderlands sometime soon and from the sounds of it it will be another surprise favourite of mine.

Avatar image for 190586385885857957282413308806

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 116

#11 190586385885857957282413308806
Member since 2002 • 13084 Posts
[QUOTE="Archangel3371"]

For me it was Batman AA mostly because I'm a bigger fan of Marvel so when it turned out to be my favourite comic book based game it was very surprising.

I still need to pick up Borderlands sometime soon and from the sounds of it it will be another surprise favourite of mine.

Definitely Borderlands for me. I really expect looting games not to get it right on consoles because there are so many games that try to be like Diablo that fall short. Borderlands got it right the first time around.
btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#12 btaylor2404
Member since 2003 • 11353 Posts
Hands down Batman AA. I bought it for my son, and didn't give it much thought. Grabbed it when he went to bed that night to try it out and was blown away. I figured Uncharted 2 & AC II would be great from the previews, I didn't read up much on Batman. Number 3 behind those 2 in my GOTY.
cyborg100000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 cyborg100000
Member since 2005 • 2905 Posts

Batman AA, I haven't played it but I didn't think it would get good reviews.

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#14 zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

Gotta go with Dragon Age. At the beginning I was watching it, but then I thought it was looking like crap. But wow, was I wrong.

I have yet to play Batman though, but I suppose it wouldn't be that big of a surprise now that everyone's talking about it.

Avatar image for cornisfunny1218
cornisfunny1218

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15 cornisfunny1218
Member since 2008 • 29 Posts

Beatles RB

I thought it would just be another tock band game that everyone would spend more money on. Turned out to be a pretty solid game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5de2fb6a3a711
deactivated-5de2fb6a3a711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#16 deactivated-5de2fb6a3a711
Member since 2004 • 13995 Posts
Batman: AA. There hasn't been a really good Batman game in forever. It's fun and finally goes for that dark tone I've always wanted in a Batman game. second would be Borderlands. I'm usually VERY skeptical about FPS/RPG hybrids. Then Borderlands comes along and shows that it can be done. If it was expansive as Fallout 3 in terms of size and story content, then it'd be the perfect FPS (even without a traditional multiplayer setup)
NLahren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#17 NLahren
Member since 2009 • 1927 Posts
need for speed shift, good idea by ea to leave the open world races, becasue undercover was fail imo Batman Arkham Asylum would say the best game on the year 2009
UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#18 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts
Batman: Arkham Asylum. I honestly thought it was going to be complete crap and I was very skeptical even when I saw positive reviews and gamer impressions, but all that doubt completely dissipated once I played the demo. Fantastic stuff. Total surprise. Also a nod to Dragon Age. I expected a standard amount of BioWare goodness, but I got so much more. Best game I played in a long time.
angelbelow000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#19 angelbelow000
Member since 2008 • 282 Posts

I haven't really had a chance to play all of the games that I've wanted to this year. But the main game that was a big surprise as far as how simple but fun it is, is Battlefield 1943. I didn't download this right off the bat because it didn't look that appealing to me. But after seeing the good reviews that it got I decided to download it and I was not dissapointed. It is a really simple game but has fun gameplay and offers great replayability.

LightR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 LightR
Member since 2009 • 17739 Posts
Demon's Souls. I got the game even though I only knew about it for a month and was thoroughly impressed.
burgeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#21 burgeg
Member since 2005 • 3599 Posts

Easily UFC 2009 Undisputed. My expectations of the game couldn't have been much lower, but it turned out to be one of my favourite fighting games ever. Before this game I'd probably seen something like three UFC fights ever, but since this playing this game I've never missed a UFC event. For me this game is a great surprise in two ways. It's a brillliant game that surpassed my expectations by miles and it's also brilliant because it introduced me to the fantastic sport of MMA.

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts
Bionic commando
ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ASK_Story
[QUOTE="bulletsword"]Batman: AA. There hasn't been a really good Batman game in forever. It's fun and finally goes for that dark tone I've always wanted in a Batman game. second would be Borderlands. I'm usually VERY skeptical about FPS/RPG hybrids. Then Borderlands comes along and shows that it can be done. If it was expansive as Fallout 3 in terms of size and story content, then it'd be the perfect FPS (even without a traditional multiplayer setup)

I agree with your Fallout 3 comparison. Imagine if Gearbox and Bethesda teamed up! It'd be the greatest RPS ever! I love Borderlands shooting gameplay but Fallout 3's role-playing is deeper. It would've been so good if Fallout 3 had Borderlands gunplay mechanics.
Prodigy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Prodigy_basic
Member since 2002 • 3808 Posts

unfortunately i haven't yet played the games that were mentioned most frequently in this thread (especially batman and borderlands), so my surprise of the year is shadow complex...there was hype building for it but i really didn'trealize how good the game was until i actually played it...nothing against the other d/l titles on live or psn but shadow complex trumps them all in my opinion...

Nifty_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Nifty_Shark
Member since 2007 • 13137 Posts

Borderlands. I don't like it but I've got many friends who do and it wasn't on any of their radars until it was released.

PetJel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26 PetJel
Member since 2009 • 3725 Posts

Dragon Age. I knew it was anticipated but I didn't expect the top notch experience it is.

mattg90520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 mattg90520
Member since 2006 • 3115 Posts
none really. its been a slow but good gaming year. ive only purchased re5 (which was good until i went for the dlc achievements, which made me hate the game. i still enjoy the sp game but not as much) and shadow complex, which was great. i dont usually buy a lot of games, ive only gotten 10 games in about the last 2/3 years, so about 3-4 a year average. ive gotten a lot of dlc this year, mostly going back and playing games again to get achievements. its fun replaying the games, i dont mind at all since i only usually get games im sure ill love. next year is going to be tough, with mass effect 2 and bioshock 2 coming out super early, then alan wake at some point. im also going to want to play bayonetta and red dead redemption at some point, following by assassins creed (both 1 and 2), so yeah, lots of achievements, lots of hours. that list will probably shorten considerably after reviews come out but im still gonna be busy.
Avatar image for BloodSeeker1337
BloodSeeker1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 BloodSeeker1337
Member since 2009 • 1278 Posts
Batman AA & Borderlands :D
Rekunta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#29 Rekunta
Member since 2002 • 8275 Posts

Batman. There's not been a game that's become my GOTY that wasn't on my radar at all before release. It came out of nowhere and has surpassed all of my other potentials, even Uncharted 2, which is no small feat. I sincerely hope they're working on a sequel RIGHT NOW.

multiplat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 multiplat
Member since 2009 • 1692 Posts
Bionic commandodakan45
are u bein sarcastic?? or u truly enjoyed it? also, what platform ? pc? u know i got to ask haha
chadwick1343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#31 chadwick1343
Member since 2009 • 944 Posts
Demons Souls
67gt500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#32 67gt500
Member since 2003 • 4627 Posts
[QUOTE="Travo_basic"]Borderlands and Batman were my biggest surprises. I never expected Batman to be an exploration game, which is my favorite type of game. I never expected to love Borderlands as much as I do.ASK_Story

Batman and Borderlands make my list as well... but so does Assassin's Creed II
i-rock-socks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33 i-rock-socks
Member since 2007 • 3826 Posts

tropico 3

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
What the hell is Torchlight? That looks sweet, I gotta find out more. Never heard of this game before.
DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

The only real surprise I could think of for me is Final Fantasy Dissidia. I didn't think I would get so into it when I bought it, yet I did! :o

Michael-Smith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Michael-Smith
Member since 2009 • 909 Posts
Torchlight! I had no idea the old Mythos team had regrouped as Runic Games and stated this project until about two weeks before it released. I've had the game since day one and I absolutely love it! Also, the folks at Runic are hands down the most awesome dev team ever. Just one example: http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=686 This was like a week before launch... They were even responding to player requests and adjusting stuff up to three days before launch, hehe.
bigd575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 185

#37 bigd575
Member since 2008 • 6192 Posts
Dragon Age I thought it looked ok but I loved it.
Avatar image for Grammaton-Cleric
Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Grammaton-Cleric
Member since 2002 • 7515 Posts

Bionic commandodakan45

Probably the most underrated game of 2009. I loved every minute of this game despite some rough edges and I lament the death of GRIN.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#39 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts
Demon's Souls by a long shot. I'm probably sounding like a broken record at this point, but this is the most unique and challenging game I've played this generation. Great boss fights, brilliant level design and really tight combat. It is one of the only games from this year that I will still be playing years from now.
Evz0rz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Evz0rz
Member since 2006 • 4624 Posts

Not only is Borderlands my biggest surprise, it's also my personal GOTY

Edit: How could I forget Dragon Age, I knew it would be good, but it turned out to be AMAZING

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#41 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts
What the hell is Torchlight? That looks sweet, I gotta find out more. Never heard of this game before.GodModeEnabled
It's not on the 360.
Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#42 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

Has to be a 3 way tie for me

Boarderlands,Batman AA and Little Kings Story

Avatar image for chedarcheese190
chedarcheese190

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#43 chedarcheese190
Member since 2008 • 793 Posts

i knew batman aa was gonna be a good game when everyone else thought it was a crappy beat em up. graphics can tell alot about a game before it comes out.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

Demon's Souls by a long shot. I'm probably sounding like a broken record at this point, but this is the most unique and challenging game I've played this generation. Great boss fights, brilliant level design and really tight combat. It is one of the only games from this year that I will still be playing years from now.rragnaar

I'm going to echo you. I've only fought a small handful of the bosses, but each one is rough and each one demands a very different strategy to beat them.

champion907

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 champion907
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
lol naruto ultimate ninja 5 ;D yeah
ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 ASK_Story
What the hell is Torchlight? That looks sweet, I gotta find out more. Never heard of this game before.GodModeEnabled
It's only available through Steam and their website. It's only $20 and it's totally worth it. Basically, it's a great Diablo-clone created by ex-Diablo and Fate developers. It doesn't do anything new or revolutionary but the game is so good like Diablo, it's still fun to play.
PabloEscobar20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#47 PabloEscobar20
Member since 2009 • 837 Posts

I just finished playing The Darkness and gotta say it was a big surprise. The story was simply amazing. The gameplay, graphics, voice acting and atmosphere were top notch. For a game that came out 2 years ago, it exceeded my expectations.

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"]What the hell is Torchlight? That looks sweet, I gotta find out more. Never heard of this game before.ASK_Story
It's only available through Steam and their website. It's only $20 and it's totally worth it. Basically, it's a great Diablo-clone created by ex-Diablo and Fate developers. It doesn't do anything new or revolutionary but the game is so good like Diablo, it's still fun to play.

Ahh steam I do keep forgetting about that, ill have to check it out thanks.
ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 ASK_Story
[QUOTE="ASK_Story"][QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"]What the hell is Torchlight? That looks sweet, I gotta find out more. Never heard of this game before.GodModeEnabled

Ahh steam I do keep forgetting about that, ill have to check it out thanks.

It's great! I highly recommend it if you love Diablo. I remember you loving Titan Quest so more of a good thing is always good! Also, Torchlight is great because you don't need a super powerful PC to play it. The recommended system requirements are very fair and even with a medium powered PC like mine, I can play it with high settings and it runs great!
Devil_Lady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Devil_Lady
Member since 2009 • 204 Posts

Easily Borderlands.

Who would have thought that a FPS with RPG elements would be so much fun?