What do you think was the first video game?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

NicAgent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 0

#1 NicAgent
Member since 2005 • 4693 Posts
Your choices are: 1972 - Pong (last of all of these but by far the most credible, as it was the only one of these that were widely played) 1971 - Computer Space (this wasn't entirely digital and less played) 1958 - Tennis for Two (the first of these to actually use something resembling a controller, however it was only brought out in two instances during visiting days at the Brookhaven Nuclear Power Plant and wasn't even known about for nearly 25 years after it was last brought out. This was played using an oscilloscope. 1952 - OXO (noughts and crosses) - Considered to be the first game to run on a computer, however it was only able to be run on Cambridge University's EDSAC computer (which was the size of two school classrooms, lol). This was played using an oscilloscope. c. 1947 - A patent for an oscilloscope-based missile command simulation. However little is known about this. Atlantis - If you believe in the myth, you can argue that given the highly advanced technology of this prehistoric society, there was at least something resembling a video game out there, maybe not as much of an activity as today's video games, or maybe even more. Extraterrestrial - If you don't think we are alone in the universe than perhaps video games were on another planet. My answer will be the last one - I do think that given the sheer size of the universe there is life on millions of other planets we never will know about. And at least a few of these many, many species are just as advanced (or perhaps even more advanced) than we are, and thus have already created what we call video games.
NickyGambino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 NickyGambino
Member since 2007 • 66 Posts

Your choices are: 1972 - Pong (last of all of these but by far the most credible, as it was the only one of these that were widely played) 1971 - Computer Space (this wasn't entirely digital and less played) 1958 - Tennis for Two (the first of these to actually use something resembling a controller, however it was only brought out in two instances during visiting days at the Brookhaven Nuclear Power Plant and wasn't even known about for nearly 25 years after it was last brought out. This was played using an oscilloscope. 1952 - OXO (noughts and crosses) - Considered to be the first game to run on a computer, however it was only able to be run on Cambridge University's EDSAC computer (which was the size of two school classrooms, lol). This was played using an oscilloscope. c. 1947 - A patent for an oscilloscope-based missile command simulation. However little is known about this. Atlantis - If you believe in the myth, you can argue that given the highly advanced technology of this prehistoric society, there was at least something resembling a video game out there, maybe not as much of an activity as today's video games, or maybe even more. Extraterrestrial - If you don't think we are alone in the universe than perhaps video games were on another planet. My answer will be the last one - I do think that given the sheer size of the universe there is life on millions of other planets we never will know about. And at least a few of these many, many species are just as advanced (or perhaps even more advanced) than we are, and thus have already created what we call video games.NicAgent

Those are some pretty crazy options there my friend, especially the atlantis one. The alien thing could be true but we have no way of knowing so I'd say that the noughts and crosses sound closest to the first VG taking into account that this missile command thing sounds like a military training simulation though I've never heard of it myself.

Oh yeah, btw if the people from atlantis (lol, battles to keep a straight face) were so technologically advanced surely they would have made some fairly decent transportation systems and would therefore have venture away from atlantis and subsequently left evidence verifying their existence or survived to the modern day. Just a thought.

Avatar image for Video_Game_King
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#3 Video_Game_King
Member since 2003 • 27545 Posts
I'll go with Tennis for Two.
NicAgent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 NicAgent

[QUOTE="NicAgent"]Your choices are: 1972 - Pong (last of all of these but by far the most credible, as it was the only one of these that were widely played) 1971 - Computer Space (this wasn't entirely digital and less played) 1958 - Tennis for Two (the first of these to actually use something resembling a controller, however it was only brought out in two instances during visiting days at the Brookhaven Nuclear Power Plant and wasn't even known about for nearly 25 years after it was last brought out. This was played using an oscilloscope. 1952 - OXO (noughts and crosses) - Considered to be the first game to run on a computer, however it was only able to be run on Cambridge University's EDSAC computer (which was the size of two school classrooms, lol). This was played using an oscilloscope. c. 1947 - A patent for an oscilloscope-based missile command simulation. However little is known about this. Atlantis - If you believe in the myth, you can argue that given the highly advanced technology of this prehistoric society, there was at least something resembling a video game out there, maybe not as much of an activity as today's video games, or maybe even more. Extraterrestrial - If you don't think we are alone in the universe than perhaps video games were on another planet. My answer will be the last one - I do think that given the sheer size of the universe there is life on millions of other planets we never will know about. And at least a few of these many, many species are just as advanced (or perhaps even more advanced) than we are, and thus have already created what we call video games.NickyGambino

Those are some pretty crazy options there my friend, especially the atlantis one. The alien thing could be true but we have no way of knowing so I'd say that the noughts and crosses sound closest to the first VG taking into account that this missile command thing sounds like a military training simulation though I've never heard of it myself.

Oh yeah, btw if the people from atlantis (lol, battles to keep a straight face) were so technologically advanced surely they would have made some fairly decent transportation systems and would therefore have venture away from atlantis and subsequently left evidence verifying their existence or survived to the modern day. Just a thought.

yeah true though this may have happened like hundreds of thousands of years ago before today's humans roamed the earth but yeah i dont really believe in the myth too much so of the choices that we are certain of i'd say that Tennis for Two is the first video game simply cause it actually used a "controller" and was much more portable than OXO (which had to be played on the EDSAC computer)
NicAgent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 NicAgent
Oh I should also add as a choice Spacewar! from 1961 that was created by MIT students - very similar to the eventual arcade games like Asteroids.
NickyGambino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 NickyGambino
[QUOTE="NickyGambino"]

[QUOTE="NicAgent"]Your choices are: 1972 - Pong (last of all of these but by far the most credible, as it was the only one of these that were widely played) 1971 - Computer Space (this wasn't entirely digital and less played) 1958 - Tennis for Two (the first of these to actually use something resembling a controller, however it was only brought out in two instances during visiting days at the Brookhaven Nuclear Power Plant and wasn't even known about for nearly 25 years after it was last brought out. This was played using an oscilloscope. 1952 - OXO (noughts and crosses) - Considered to be the first game to run on a computer, however it was only able to be run on Cambridge University's EDSAC computer (which was the size of two school classrooms, lol). This was played using an oscilloscope. c. 1947 - A patent for an oscilloscope-based missile command simulation. However little is known about this. Atlantis - If you believe in the myth, you can argue that given the highly advanced technology of this prehistoric society, there was at least something resembling a video game out there, maybe not as much of an activity as today's video games, or maybe even more. Extraterrestrial - If you don't think we are alone in the universe than perhaps video games were on another planet. My answer will be the last one - I do think that given the sheer size of the universe there is life on millions of other planets we never will know about. And at least a few of these many, many species are just as advanced (or perhaps even more advanced) than we are, and thus have already created what we call video games.NicAgent

yeah true though this may have happened like hundreds of thousands of years ago before today's humans roamed the earth but yeah i dont really believe in the myth too much so of the choices that we are certain of i'd say that Tennis for Two is the first video game simply cause it actually used a "controller" and was much more portable than OXO (which had to be played on the EDSAC computer)

Yeah ok, I'll concede that point seeing as how it comes closest to a modern VG. That atlantis thing sounds crazy, probably a good advert for anti-internet/David Icke groups.;)

Boba_Fett_3710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Boba_Fett_3710
Member since 2005 • 8783 Posts
I'm sure there were games that were played over the telegraph at one point. I'd consider it a videogame even though there was no video involved.
NicAgent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 NicAgent
I'm sure there were games that were played over the telegraph at one point. I'd consider it a videogame even though there was no video involved.Boba_Fett_3710
well the "video" in video game has to do with it being a game played over a raster display where pixels are rendered so i cannot agree with this statement but yeah it would have been electronic
NickyGambino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 NickyGambino

I'm sure there were games that were played over the telegraph at one point. I'd consider it a videogame even though there was no video involved.Boba_Fett_3710

Thats not a video game, it's just a....game!

Rat-Bastard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10 Rat-Bastard
Member since 2003 • 34 Posts
The first videogame was a simple dot that was maneuvered across a screen with the use of a joystick. It wasn't a game really, more like a really old tech demo. Incidentally it evolved into Pong.