What characters do you think are overrated?

• 58 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 0

#1 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

My choice is Tifa Lockhart. She gets so much hype, but I think she's extremely bland. I find myself completely indifferent to her; she's just "there" if you get what I mean. She never says anything interesting. It must be her sex appeal that makes her so popular.

Honestly, I feel that FFIX absolutely massacres FFVII in terms of characters (and that might be a result of the dialogue being so much more well-written in FFIX). The only character that I find to be notably endearing in FFVII is Red XIII. I like Aires and Barret as well, but not nearly as much.

I've always found Ratchet to be overrated as well. He's basically just another typical rodent character with a Sonic-esque attitude. I don't know what is so appealing about that to some people.

Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#2 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

You're mom...HA! :lol:

Okay, for real: Kirby. I think he and his games are too freaking cute for their own good. I don't like them. And the platforming isn't even all that great. Maybe for a young gamer or someone just getting into platformers, but for seasoned gamers it's far too easy to keep your interest for long, IMO.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 GreySeal9

You're mom...HA! :lol:

Okay, for real: Kirby. I think he and his games are too freaking cute for their own good. I don't like them. And the platforming isn't even all that great. Maybe for a young gamer or someone just getting into platformers, but for seasoned gamers it's far too easy to keep your interest for long, IMO.

Emerald_Warrior

I agree that Kirby is a very lightweight franchise. His games don't keep my attention either.

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts
Even before I opened this thread I was thinking FF7 characters in general. We seem to be on similar wavelengths when it comes to FF games. I've always thought the Duke Nukem character was annoying ever since Duke Nukem 3D. His one-liners that so many people loved just came off as forced and lame to me.
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 GreySeal9

Even before I opened this thread I was thinking FF7 characters in general. We seem to be on similar wavelengths when it comes to FF games. I've always thought the Duke Nukem character was annoying ever since Duke Nukem 3D. His one-liners that so many people loved just came off as forced and lame to me. JML897

I've noticed that.

Yeah, I don't like Duke Nukem either. He rubs me the wrong way.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#6 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

The entire cast of Red Dead Redemption.

As far as legacy games are concerned... I'm gonna say the entirety of gen 1 of Pokemon. Not bad by any means but all those "purists" out there who b!tch about how the only good games were red and blue are just fvcking annoying.

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

Shadow the Hedgehog.

Kratos from GOW.

Majority of the FFVII cast.

Majority of the MGS2 cast except Snake.

Sora.

Gordan Freeman.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 turtlethetaffer

Shadow the Hedgehog.

Kratos from GOW.

Sora.

Gordan Freeman.

Seabas989

Forgot about good ole Gordan.  Def overrated, along with that entire game's plot.

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#9 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

Any Final Fantasy character

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 GreySeal9

I actually think Mario is by far the most unique out of all the major platfomer characters. Most of the others are animals of some sort while he's an Italian plumber. I can see why one might not like him, but I don't see how he's stale/boring. The notion of a plumber who shoots fireballs is extremely original. In fact, it borders on bizzare.

Samslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#11 Samslayer
Member since 2005 • 1852 Posts

Crash Bandicoot...

My wife will kill me if she read this, as she completely loves the games, but wow!  What an overall fail at creating a brand-linked character for the PSX.  Some of the games were fun though :) 

bowserjr123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#12 bowserjr123
Member since 2006 • 2478 Posts

Pikachu-I like his design but his stats are not great and he's too cute IMO

Link-He just seems average to me and I don't care for his games too much

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Seabas989

[QUOTE="Seabas989"]

Shadow the Hedgehog.

Kratos from GOW.

Sora.

Gordan Freeman.

turtlethetaffer

Forgot about good ole Gordan.  Def overrated, along with that entire game's plot.

Since he won that GS Greatest Character poll, yeah he's probably #1 most overrated.

dagreenfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 dagreenfish
Member since 2010 • 1818 Posts
Sonic. I always thought that "rad in your face attitude" to be silly, even as a child. Auron. Besides Lulu, the entire cast of FFX was utter garbage. But Auron takes the cake as a laughably bad Christopher Lambert-esque tough guy. They just tried way too hard with this one. Not a legacy char, but Garrus from ME came across as an angsty teenaged wannabe cool guy. "C-Sec always telling me what to do. Not like Spectres. Specters do whatever they want. They don't have to follow rules." You could easily swap "C-Sec" with parents and "Spectres" with "Grown-ups." I felt like Garrus was going to complain about having to clean his room on the Normandy.
Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21705 Posts

Mario - Games are great, but he's such a boring and stale character. I've never liked him very much.

Kirby - His ability is cool, but his games are subpar.

Snake - He just comes off as lame to me. His dialogue bores, and the jokes in those games are juvenile.

Ratchet & Clank - They're like characters from Dreamworks' movies: forgettable.

MLBknights58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MLBknights58
Member since 2006 • 5016 Posts

Kirby:  His games suck

Shadow the Hedgehog:  Look at this guys, it's Sonic but edgey!  This will appeal to all teh youths!

Alucard:  He's no Belmont.

Soma Cruz:  When you think of someone who has no business being a protagonist, let alone playable character, you should think Soma Cruz.

Aeris, Cloud, FF VI the entire games cast:  At the time of this post, I just got back from the gym, too tired to type my rant.

Dante:  Okay, Dante is legitimate badass, but IMO he's overrated because he boils down to nothing more than a one-liner delivering douchebag in a C-list action movie.  Vergil is much more appealing as a character to me.

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts
Mario - Games are great, but he's such a boring and stale character. I've never liked him very much.Renegade_Fury
I think most Nintendo main characters are just kind-of flat when it comes to their personalities. Mario and Link are iconic characters because their games have been so good for so long, not because they're particularly interesting characters
Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21705 Posts

[QUOTE="Renegade_Fury"]Mario - Games are great, but he's such a boring and stale character. I've never liked him very much.JML897
I think most Nintendo main characters are just kind-of flat when it comes to their personalities. Mario and Link are iconic characters because their games have been so good for so long, not because they're particularly interesting characters

I like Link as a character though. His adventures feel impactful, and he can still show some emotion without saying a word. Mario is just... there. 

Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts

Kirby:  His games suck

MLBknights58

lolololololololol because Kirby sucks right? :P

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#20 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

I am gonna throw in Leon Kennedy. Sure RE4 was great but he has become a bit overatted because of that game.

LJSEXAY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 LJSEXAY
Member since 2007 • 1866 Posts
Mario. While the games are fine....they aren't that exciting. I'd say okay.
LittleMac19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#22 LittleMac19
Member since 2009 • 1638 Posts

Sonic- stale, boring and a bunch of corny lines wrapped up in one big blue spinning ball of lameness.

FFVII - The entire cast is pretty dull, I changed my opinion after I played Crisis Core now I only think Zack is the only interesting character in the entire arc.

FFVIII - Squall Leonhart, what a tool, period. Granted I wasn't able to complete the game fully so I didn't see how he was by the end of the game but up until disk 4 the douche aura surrounding him was just overwhelming. Everyone else was ok though. I personally would of been fine if the game was based solely on Laguna though, that guy was awesome.

Gordon Freeman - Solid games but he's basically an empty shell.

voljin1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#23 voljin1987
Member since 2012 • 1135 Posts

My choice is Tifa Lockhart. She gets so much hype, but I think she's extremely bland. I find myself completely indifferent to her; she's just "there" if you get what I mean. She never says anything interesting. It must be her sex appeal that makes her so popular.

Honestly, I feel that FFIX absolutely massacres FFVII in terms of characters (and that might be a result of the dialogue being so much more well-written in FFIX). The only character that I find to be notably endearing in FFVII is Red XIII. I like Aires and Barret as well, but not nearly as much.

I've always found Ratchet to be overrated as well. He's basically just another typical rodent character with a Sonic-esque attitude. I don't know what is so appealing about that to some people.

GreySeal9
IMO FF12 is better than either 7 or 9 (Balthier, Basch and Fran say hi) .. regarding tifa.. hated her in ff7, hater her character in AC, but man she was hot.. Most overrated character in recent times IMO is Morrigan from DA:O.. She was so meh.. just dunno what the hype is about
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 turtlethetaffer

[QUOTE="turtlethetaffer"]

[QUOTE="Seabas989"]

Shadow the Hedgehog.

Kratos from GOW.

Sora.

Gordan Freeman.

Seabas989

Since he won that GS Greatest Character poll, yeah he's probably #1 most overrated.

Wow, he actually won that? Not only is he a silent protagonist, but there are countless other games where the silent protagonists are much more well developed.

BarbaricAvatar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#25 BarbaricAvatar
Member since 2006 • 1000 Posts

Solid Snake.

The match-up with Meryl in the first PS game was a good cover for Snake's more natural orientation.

And his voice; OMG! Overrated and over-acted.

ultramega9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ultramega9
Member since 2006 • 178 Posts
Almost any character from any final fantasy game.
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 GreySeal9

Sonic- stale, boring and a bunch of corny lines wrapped up in one big blue spinning ball of lameness. FFVII - The entire cast is pretty dull, I changed my opinion after I played Crisis Core now I only think Zack is the only interesting character in the entire arc. FFVIII - Squall Lockhart, what a tool, period. Granted I wasn't able to complete the game fully so I didn't see how he was by the end of the game but up until disk 4 the douche aura surrounding him was just overwhelming. Everyone else was ok though. I personally would of been fine if the game was based solely on Laguna though, that guy was awesome. Gordon Freeman - Solid games but he's basically an empty shell.LittleMac19

Agreed 100% on Squall's douchiness. I can't believe people complain so much about Tidus when that douchebag exists.

BigBen11111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 BigBen11111
Member since 2003 • 1529 Posts

Sonic the Hedgehog, Nuff said.

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Seabas989

[QUOTE="Seabas989"]

turtlethetaffer

Wow, he actually won that? Not only is he a silent protagonist, but there are countless other games where the silent protagonists are much more well developed.

Yup. I love the Half-Life series but Gordon Freeman being voted the best hero character is laughable.

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Seabas989

Solid Snake.

The match-up with Meryl in the first PS game was a good cover for Snake's more natural orientation.

And his voice; OMG! Overrated and over-acted.

BarbaricAvatar

That I can agree with.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 turtlethetaffer

[QUOTE="Seabas989"]

Seabas989

Yup. I love the Half-Life series but Gordon Freeman being voted the best hero character is laughable.

Same here... I think HL2 is great because of the excellent and fun gameplay... Gordon is literally a blank slate, no more than a silent errand boy.

MLBknights58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 MLBknights58
Member since 2006 • 5016 Posts

FFVIII - Squall Leonhart, what a tool, period. Granted I wasn't able to complete the game fully so I didn't see how he was by the end of the game but up until disk 4 the douche aura surrounding him was just overwhelming. Everyone else was ok though. I personally would of been fine if the game was based solely on Laguna though, that guy was awesome.

LittleMac19

[spoiler] He's still a massive douche, just a douche with a girlfriend now. [/spoiler]

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 GreySeal9

Shadow the Hedgehog.

Kratos from GOW.

Sora.

Gordan Freeman.

Seabas989

It's weird to me that there are people out there that actually like Sora. He's such a corny character. My brother has the new 3DS Kingdom Hearts game (I never liked Kingdom Hearts that much, but I must admit that the 3DS version has some kick ass combat) and I was watching him play some of it and in one early section of the game, Sora is acting like he's all ready best friends with this douchebag from The World Ends With You without even knowing him. It was weird and creepy.

As for MGS2, Raiden's girlfriend Rose is an absolute idiot. I couldn't stand when you had to converse with her. The fact that she would bother him with trivial bullsh!t about their relationship while he's on an important mission that will affect the world bothered the hell out of me. What a dumb lady.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="LittleMac19"]

MLBknights58

[spoiler] He's still a massive douche, just a douche with a girlfriend now. [/spoiler]

lol

BarbaricAvatar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#35 BarbaricAvatar
Member since 2006 • 1000 Posts

[QUOTE="Seabas989"]

turtlethetaffer

Same here... I think HL2 is great because of the excellent and fun gameplay... Gordon is literally a blank slate, no more than a silent errand boy.

To most of us, that's what makes him good. Gordon is you, with your traits and your personality; not a created character who other people say is something.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 turtlethetaffer

[QUOTE="Seabas989"]

BarbaricAvatar

To most of us, that's what makes him good. Gordon is you, with your traits and your personality; not a created character who other people say is something.

I could dig that POV if the game wasn't linear as hell. As it is, it's pretty easy to see that you're on a set path, so I can't get into that whole mindset.

I'm not bashing him as a silent protagonist... Hell, I love Dragon Quest, where every game features at least one character who doesn't speak.  I'm just saying that even for a silent protagonist, Gordon is not well done or well developed.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 turtlethetaffer

[QUOTE="Seabas989"]

Shadow the Hedgehog.

Kratos from GOW.

Sora.

Gordan Freeman.

GreySeal9

It's weird to me that there are people out there that actually like Sora. He's such a corny character. My brother has the new 3DS Kingdom Hearts game (I never liked Kingdom Hearts that much, but I must admit that the 3DS version has some kick ass combat) and I was watching him play some of it and in one early section of the game, Sora is acting like he's all ready best friends with this douchebag from The World Ends With You without even knowing him. It was weird and creepy.

As for MGS2, Raiden's girlfriend Rose is an absolute idiot. I couldn't stand when you had to converse with her. The fact that she would bother him with trivial bullsh!t about their relationship while he's on an important mission that will affect the world bothered the hell out of me. What a dumb lady.

But don't you know she may not have been real? O_o

my_name_is_ron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 my_name_is_ron
Member since 2005 • 5549 Posts
Never liked sodding Masterchief. Although he did pretty much embody the first Xbox - chunky and plastic with no personality
vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#39 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts
Gordan Freeman. Plenty of games have silent protagonists and have had them long before Half-Life came around. People just say he's great because he's in a game they like to also over rate. As an actual character he's nothing special. Jade from Beyond Good and Evil. I bet if she was a male no one would have given two craps about her. That's the whole reason anyone cares about her, she's a female videogame character. Nothing about else about her stands out, just like Faithe from Mirror's Edge.
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Emerald_Warrior

Never liked sodding Masterchief. Although he did pretty much embody the first Xbox - chunky and plastic with no personalitymy_name_is_ron

He's meant to be a silent protaganist. He's supposed to be a blank slate that you see this universe and story unfold before you through.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="Seabas989"]

Shadow the Hedgehog.

Kratos from GOW.

Sora.

Gordan Freeman.

turtlethetaffer

[spoiler] Wasn't she in the epilogue of MGS4 tho? [/spoiler]

KamikazeDonut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 137

User Lists: 1

#42 KamikazeDonut
Member since 2008 • 3016 Posts

I actually found Cecil from FFIV to be very annoying and whiney esepcially in the beginning. 

hurriflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#43 hurriflash
Member since 2008 • 645 Posts

Joe from viewtiful series

claire from resident evil series

Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: -3

#44 Dudersaper
Member since 2007 • 32952 Posts

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

GreySeal9

[spoiler] From what I understood, she is real. She was a spy. It was that cliche story of "I was meant to spy on your but actually fell in love with you" kind of thing. After Raiden was caught and Rose told Raiden she was a spy, the Patriots put an AI simulating her on the radio, instead of the real Rose. [/spoiler]
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 turtlethetaffer

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

Dudersaper

[spoiler] From what I understood, she is real. She was a spy. It was that cliche story of "I was meant to spy on your but actually fell in love with you" kind of thing. After Raiden was caught and Rose told Raiden she was a spy, the Patriots put an AI simulating her on the radio, instead of the real Rose. [/spoiler]

That's what I was reffering to lol.  It was more of a joke aagainst the huge amount of cutscenes before the final boss of MGS2 than anything.

Sali217

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Sali217
Member since 2012 • 1301 Posts
Link.
Spinnerweb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

#47 Spinnerweb
Member since 2009 • 2995 Posts
Mario and Kratos. Mario's stupid, and Kratos even more so.
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Emerald_Warrior

Mario and Kratos. Mario's stupid, and Kratos even more so.Spinnerweb

I don't agree on Kratos, but I'm not gonna argue it any. I can see why many people would be put off by such a gruff character.

As for Mario, I just wanted to point out that it's more about the gameplay with Mario games. Most people don't go into a Mario game because they're excited to see the next step of evolution in Mario's character, they get a Mario game because it's just plain fun to play.

Avatar image for PelicanRebelLdr
PelicanRebelLdr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 PelicanRebelLdr
Member since 2013 • 125 Posts
Sonic and Kirby are overrated.
BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#50 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts

I'd agree with Kirby. It seems as though most of his personality comes from his enemies.