What are the main reasons that you're still playing with the systems you currently have

Poarstman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 Poarstman
Member since 2013 • 285 Posts

Okay so I only have a Hp Envy X360 and "New" 3ds XL on me at the moment but the reasons I play them as of right now aside from the Massive backlog i've amassed over the years I'll list em here.

Laptop/PC:
Emulation

The Modding/Romhack Community IF I ever somehow ran out of ways extend the replayability of my old games

Don't have to pay for multiplayer for most cases

the seasonal Steam Sales

freeware

Better exclusives that have broader appeal too a niche audience

As for my 3ds:

Over a decade's worth of great titles too select from and that's not even counting the virtual console releases and backwards compatibility too it's predecessors games either

one of my former ways too watch Netflix and youtube

writing down game notes

Not enough funds too upgrade too a new console

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15925 Posts

I play jrpg on my playstations.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 robert_sparkes  Online
Member since 2018 • 7233 Posts

Xbox one and ps4 with a huge backlog held off the switch lite but might pull the trigger next week.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11671 Posts

What are the main reasons that you're still playing with the systems you currently have

Obtuse question, that needs no justification from anyone. As long as you are having fun with games, nothing else matters!

I want to play games, fun games, in the manner I see fit. So have various systems (3DS, P.C., PS4, Switch) to meet my personal want for gaming entertainment. Have also contemplated getting an Xbox One a few times just to play games like Ninja Gaiden: Black, and a few others.

Nothing more to explain. If someone doesn't get that logic of all systems having benefits; perhaps they should question themselves if they actually enjoy gaming, or being a loud hypocrite to get attention.

The idea of bragging about a different piece of plastic to someone else is nonsensical.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#5 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44183 Posts

I mainly play on my Xbox One and Nintendo Switch because I enjoy the games that are available for them and because the next gen systems haven’t arrived yet.

Blazepanzer24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Blazepanzer24
Member since 2018 • 437 Posts

Well...I enjoy games across more than 14 consoles either by having the console directly or by having backwards compatibility with said console. I guess one of the reasons is because I enjoy having the original hardware and with older systems I (Usually) get the entire game and don't have to worry about micro-transactions. Not to mention that I love playing a lot of the older titles such as Vigilante 8, Ace combat zero the Belkan war and Zelda a link to The Past, to name a few.

Currently I have a PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, NES, SNES, N64, Wii, Wii U, Sega Genesis, Xbox 360, Game boy, Game boy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo 3DS, and a Nintendo Switch lite. Both of my Wii Consoles are the older models so they can play Gamecube games too.

I also have these two gaming rigs:

Big Dussie: which is my Ryzen 5 1600 rig, equipped with 16 GB DDR4 2667MHZ ram and an AMD RX 570 @ 4GB GDDR5 graphics card.

The Katoni: This is my refurbished HP Pro 6300 SFF Computer, which contains an Intel I5 3470 processor, 20 GB DDR3 1600 mhz ram, and a NVIDIA GT 1030 @ 2GB GDDR5 graphics card. It initially had only 8 GB GB ram but I swapped out two of the four sticks with the 2-8GB ram sticks I used in my previous build, the Leopon.

In case you are wondering, my former rig, the Leopon, had an AMD AM3+ FX 6350 processor, 16 GB of DDR3 1600 MHZ ram and originally a NVIDIA GT 740 @4 GB GDDR3, later upgraded to an RX 560 @ 2 GB GDDR5.

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

I play them all. Hell I still play my original Gameboy. Was playing Warioland last night and either I just suck at that game or it's super hard.

But I did buy an LCD backlight kit and bivert mod for it just haven't gotten around to installing it yet.

Lebowski1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Lebowski1
Member since 2005 • 91 Posts

My laptop is not a gsming rig, but I use it for very low spec games and very old emulation, at the moment namely online ZX Spectrum emulator Torinak, and also this year's entries for the Interactive Fiction Competition.

PS4 is my main platform. I converted to Playstation with the PS3. My main way of playing now is in cinematic mode on the VR headset (will gladly trade resolution for image size). Player base of the PSN, PSNow so i can play my old PS3 favourites now that my ps3 has died. Streaming capability for my youtube channel. A lot of the games i play are old remixes/re-releases but still favour playstation over the original formats for above reasons.

... probably a bit stupid to stick with ps4 classic doom just bc im too lazy to get a configure it all on my laptop.... missing out on all those custom maps and mods. Ditto for xcom :*/ so yh a big part is laziness tbqh.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 19

#9 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

The 3DS comes to mind. There is still a lot of 3DS games that I haven't played but want to.

I'm mainly just using my Switch these days plus anything on PC I feel like checking out through Steam

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56110 Posts

I mainly game on PC and it does just about everything right, been a PC gamer since 2007. My main console is PS4 for exclusives but my Switch is my personal out of the house gaming I tend to play the most. I still have so much to do on PS4, I won't bother getting PS5 until I have done everything on PS4. So really ,both PS4/Switch have their uses but PC is my ultimate gaming machine.

fractured_veil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 fractured_veil
Member since 2018 • 32 Posts

I stick with the old xbox one for convenience and variety of games I have for it.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#12  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

PC is my primary choice for gaming because.

• Tons and tons of games and complete backwards compatibility for decades
  • Free multiplayer
  • M/KB controls for FPS and TPS
  • Emulators
  • Mods
  • High end VR my Oculus Rift

PS4 got mine in 2017

• First party Exclusives
  • Playing a Rockstar game day one no more waiting like I did with GTAV that was hellish never again I'll double dip for the PC though because it's the best version.
pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9399 Posts
  • PC is main rig
  • HTPC is living room rig
  • Switch gets some use with Ninty exclusives and smaller games when I'm traveling
  • Mister FPGA handles all my 16-bit and earlier retro gaming
  • Wii U is set up for homebrew and is a great way to play gamecube games
  • X1X has Ninja Gaiden Black
  • PS4 collects dust
Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

@pyro1245 said:

Doesn't HTPC designate a PC made for video viewing rather than gaming? Do you have two gaming PCs? My HTPC has a very simplistic GT 1030 for a graphics card, because it's almost exclusively used for movies.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15  Edited By pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9399 Posts

@ezekiel43 said:
@pyro1245 said:

Doesn't HTPC designate a PC made for video viewing rather than gaming? Do you have two gaming PCs? My HTPC has a very simplistic GT 1030 for a graphics card, because it's almost exclusively used for movies.

I think the term HTPC can be used to describe a gaming PC integrated into a home theater. I've def seen it used that way at least.

My HTPC is a Ryzen 2600 with a 1070ti.

I don't run any HTPC software like Kodi though. I just use it as a normal Windows machine with a wireless K&M. I'll often put it in Steam Big Picture mode if I'm doing controller stuff. I found a cool USB adapter they syncs up to 4 DS3 controllers so it's easy to set up local coop stuff.

Movies and stuff I run off of the Roku since then I don't have to fiddle with HDR and Dolby Vision in Windows. I don't watch much though since I'm usually just playing games.

lucidique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 150

#16  Edited By lucidique
Member since 2003 • 791 Posts

I game and have been gaming mostly on PC for the last 20 + years.

I currently own a Switch and a Playstation Pro.

The Switch is broken. I played most of the early releases. I am sending it for repairs but have no plans to purchase any more games for it. The hardware is flimsy and the games just don't go down in price.

The PS4 I originally bought for PSVR, which I still play occasionally. It was a big hit with the family. At this point, I am more focused on the exclusives, and am currently focusing my energies on Persona 5.

I will eventually get rid of both consoles, but I have to say that Sony is really killing it this generation.

HEATHEN75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 HEATHEN75
Member since 2018 • 1678 Posts

Mostly play on my X1 but I have also played recently on my PS2 and Genesis. Why do I play them? Because they still work. When I get my garage back in shape I will plug in my older TV and pull out the NES, Dreamcast and OG xbox too.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

Switch - It really has a lot of the sort of games I want to play. It has a nice mix of Ninty main series games, indies, and ports of recent hits from the last decade or so. I am already backlogged all to hell on this thing. But it's great, I really am spoiled for choice. When Pokemon comes that's like a milestone moment on the system for me.

PC - I really don't play many games on PC, but I have it as an option mainly for beloved WoW Classic, and also maybe Hearthstone.

Phone - Even though I don't really play Pokemon Go as much recently, I am obsessed with Risk again, and can always kind of start a game whenever I have enough free time and enjoy it a lot.

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19 thereal25
Member since 2011 • 2074 Posts

Still exclusively a pc gamer.

Reasons: time, physical space, money.

Poarstman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Poarstman
@Ovirew said:

Switch - It really has a lot of the sort of games I want to play. It has a nice mix of Ninty main series games, indies, and ports of recent hits from the last decade or so. I am already backlogged all to hell on this thing. But it's great, I really am spoiled for choice. When Pokemon comes that's like a milestone moment on the system for me.

PC - I really don't play many games on PC, but I have it as an option mainly for beloved WoW Classic, and also maybe Hearthstone.

Phone - Even though I don't really play Pokemon Go as much recently, I am obsessed with Risk again, and can always kind of start a game whenever I have enough free time and enjoy it a lot.

The switch had a pretty great start for at the year of it's launch, i have no doubt that it has doubled in greatness either... but I tell you that the Snes titles took 2 years too on thae system

Poarstman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Poarstman

@lucidique:

The deals and sales don't really make the games any cheaper if you buy digital if i may be honest ,but it really depends what sort of gaming experiance you're looking for

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

@poarstman: 2019 was pretty great for Switch. I guess for me personally, I don't really consider the NES and SNES games to be a major point of the system, and I haven't had much luck playing online with other people on that. But I can see where other people were disappointed by the lack of Virtual Console support from the start, and the usual lack of many noteworthy games from throughout the console-maker's history.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22377 Posts

The main console I play on nowadays is Switch, because I love the portability and of course the games.

I also play my XB1 X often, but not as much as I used to. Also play my Gamecube every now & then.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 jeezers
Member since 2007 • 5341 Posts

Ps4- (honestly only got it because at the start of the gen got one for half price, because a friend was desperate to sell, basically gave it to me with like 6 games and 2 controllers for like 180 bucks, was a steal, but now i mainly just use it for overwatch and rocket league , mix in some sp games from time to time. But to be completely honest, wish i went xbone.

Switch- Love it, its my bedroom console, i pretty much play it before i fall asleep, it charges next to the bed on the night stand, its kinda like a bible. Great console

3DS- i travel with this, not my switch for the most part, have an r4 card with over 400 DS games for it, im usually playing off that, , currently been playing dragon quest V, its a solid rpg.

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#25 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

The ability to have choice. I have all 3 generations of Xbox consoles, All 7 Generations of Nintendo consoles All 4 generations of Playstation consoles. and Sega mega drive.

So I can find games at Flea markets, Yard sales, mom and pop used videogame stores, Ebay, craigslist, kijji, Best buy, Gamestop/Eb games, Thrift stores, JJ games, Pawn shops and Walmart.

So I can Cheap Arse it and find old N64 or playstation 1 games or get the $80.00 brand new release for Playstation 4, Xbox one or Nintendo switch.

So thats one reason to hold onto your videogame systems. I will be glad I did once everything turns to streaming digital subscription only with microtransactions all over the place. If google ever finds success with their streaming only service. with is a major rip off. You don't own the games, pay full price and when the servers shut down your games are gone. Plus streaming service for games eat up your data very quickly if you have data caps.

Poarstman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Poarstman

@Ovirew said:

@poarstman: 2019 was pretty great for Switch. I guess for me personally, I don't really consider the NES and SNES games to be a major point of the system, and I haven't had much luck playing online with other people on that. But I can see where other people were disappointed by the lack of Virtual Console support from the start, and the usual lack of many noteworthy games from throughout the console-maker's history.

Ah, well that's fair ... My main interests didn't even center around the lack of virtual console for Switch but more so the contempary First party titles,AAA ,AA titles and Indie releases. it's what i love about the love about nintendo anyway because there always seemed to be enough for any audience.

Poarstman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Poarstman

@poarstman:

Been leaning more so on the PC for game sales though, what they have too offer for the 3ds doesn't seem very interesting especially between Apple to 🍊 comparisons 4 the last Coupl3 holiday specials they had... GOG ,steam and gamersgate do that much better in that I usually have think more carefully about what I wanted that month or during that year

wolfpup7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28 wolfpup7
Member since 2004 • 1936 Posts

I’m only just now officially joining current gen, because of my ridiculous backlog...and actually I’m not through it yet. I’m just going to play my last 360 games on Xbox One. thats not counting my portable backlog, which I’m keeping unplayed for when I need it portable.

I have much less money now, so realistically will probably skip pS5, even though I’m sure all 3 will have must have exclusives for me.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#29 Willy105  Online
Member since 2005 • 26099 Posts

PC: Most of my games are there, and it's the best way to play them.

Switch: Only way to play Nintendo games, which are routinely the best games.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#30 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34615 Posts

Currently playing PC and Switch, because it's awesome. Also playing a bit of Wii U since I have no choice if I want to play Wind Waker HD.

Guntster22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Guntster22
Member since 2019 • 44 Posts

PS4 and X1X, because after years of pc gaming I have become accustomed to the ease of console gaming.

narlymech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#32 narlymech
Member since 2009 • 2132 Posts

Xbox one S, it's all I need.

Kage1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Kage1
Member since 2003 • 6806 Posts

I usually game on the PS4 or my hacked playstation Classic

Poarstman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Poarstman
@Kage1 said:

I usually game on the PS4 or my hacked playstation Classic

Where did you get your hacked playstation Classic? I've seen quite few of them being sold on Etsy

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#36 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58978 Posts

I use the PC for other stuff and most of my games are on Steam.