What am I missing by not playing...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Kopogero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Kopogero
Member since 2010 • 149 Posts

Single player games? I see so much hype about the Witcher series, GTA 5, Fallout 4, Tomb Rider, etc. but really what I am missing out of these games?

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

If you don't mind story telling and epic (mostly scripted) set pieces in games, I'd say not much.

rollermint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 rollermint
Member since 2010 • 632 Posts

Single player games is all about the immersion for me. And I get to focus on the game on what it really is.

If you can understand, appreciate and enjoy watching movies alone (whether in cinema or at home, regardless), then you understand why many people enjoy single player game.

Its basically a form of quality "me-time!" escapade...

loafofgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 loafofgame
Member since 2013 • 1742 Posts

If you don't feel like or get why you're missing out, then you're not missing out.

There all all kinds of sp experiences, so you might be missing out on a whole lot, but only if you actually care about that stuff. Is there something you would want out of videogames that you don't get by playing mp games?

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

@Kopogero said:

Single player games? I see so much hype about the Witcher series, GTA 5, Fallout 4, Tomb Rider, etc. but really what I am missing out of these games?

Nothing, you like what you like, we all have our personal reasons for gaming. How can we explain why you have a preference for MP over SP? We don't know you personally, but for me I like both.

Sometimes I like the socialization that comes with MP, while other times I like the solitude and immersition that comes with playing games like the witcher 3 and Skyrim.

csward

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#7 csward
Member since 2005 • 2155 Posts

Nothing. There are some really good games like Witcher 3 and the Mass Effect series if you like playing as someone else. If you're a competitive gamer, than you're not missing much, as single player AI is no where near as challenging as a real person.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58318 Posts

A lot!

For starters, most online (not all, though) games are competitive, so you are generally required to join in and do what you have to do to win because winning is fun.

In singleplayer games, you don't have to do anything. You can explore at your leisure, screw around with weapons and vehicles and such, and more. Singleplayer games generally have well-crafted stories since they do not get to rely on online play for their thrills. Visuals are often better in my experience, as is audio design, since developers need to immerse players into the game more.

Ultimately it comes down to preference: you want to guide a band of adventurers through an incredibly entertaining story in Divinity: Original Sin? Or maybe you want to play a sneaky thief in Thief while simultaneously unravelling and exploring the mysteries of your city!

Or do you want to join some friends online and shoot each other in Battlefield? Or maybe you want to raid in World of Warcraft?

Glitch-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Glitch-
Member since 2016 • 287 Posts

Well your missing out on what might be a good story, plot and interesting characters.

Vaidream45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Vaidream45
Member since 2016 • 2116 Posts

Single player games are the best. It's a story with purpose instead of just endless respawning and killing the same people over and over.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#11 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

I play almost exclusively singleplayer games of all kinds. I personally just like being able to play without the stress of competition or lining up my schedule to coincide with a friend's. That and I enjoy the mechanics, story, etc. of the games I play.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#12 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69490 Posts

@Kopogero said:

Single player games typically offer a series of unique gameplay experiences that is not common is multiplayer games.

djura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 djura
Member since 2016 • 542 Posts

I guess I'd just say that, put simply, you're missing out on some really great game experiences in general. If you don't play single-player games at all, then you could be missing out on a wide swathe of incredible games.

It does depend on what you mean by "single-player" though. What about Bloodborne, which is predominantly single-player in nature, but which has some PvP and cooperative aspects?

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6848 Posts

If that's not your cup of tea, then nothing. Ditto for me and MP games. I'm not missing out because they don't appeal to me.

Avatar image for stanleyhudson12
StanleyHudson12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 StanleyHudson12
Member since 2016 • 88 Posts

It really depends on your personal preferences. Usually, a single player game will focus more on having a well-developed plot and immersing you in the game. On the other hand, a multiplayer game focuses more on fast-paced competition. If that's more your thing, there's no problem in not playing single player.

Ryan78134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 Ryan78134
Member since 2014 • 218 Posts

@Kopogero: Single player is all I play. The only online multiplayer game that I've really sunk hours into is Team Fortress 2, probably around 70-100 hours. Other than that, I don't really enjoy the competitive side of it.. I play games to turn my brain off & relax.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#17 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@Kopogero said:

Absolute nothing.

If you are having fun with only multiplayer games, you are not really missing out on anything.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22377 Posts

@rollermint said:

Single player games is all about the immersion for me. And I get to focus on the game on what it really is.

If you can understand, appreciate and enjoy watching movies alone (whether in cinema or at home, regardless), then you understand why many people enjoy single player game.

Its basically a form of quality "me-time!" escapade...

Yeah pretty much this... immersion that you can't experience in MP (well IMO anyway).

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44183 Posts

Well you are missing out on some great game experiences. I love me some multiplayer fun but I also love playing many great single player games. There's some great stories, great gameplay, some really awesome set pieces and action that you can't really get from multiplayer gaming.

slaveknight09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20 slaveknight09
Member since 2017 • 119 Posts

there's a tons of awesome single player out there, why not give your self a challenge and play some "Souls like" games.

PyreofKoL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 112

User Lists: 4

#23 PyreofKoL
Member since 2005 • 6059 Posts

@Kopogero said:

I feel the same way about the Witcher, honestly. I got the first game for $1.50 from a GOG sale and tried it and just wasn't impressed with any of it. I keep hearing my friends and family rave about the Witcher 3. I got a copy for free simply for being a GameStop employee during the game's release but my PC isn't strong enough to run it so I've not tried it. I can answer for those other three, though:

Fallout 4: Let me just say this up front: yes, the roleplaying is watered down compared to past entries in the series. You get very little chance to resolve encounters by any means save combat, but that doesn't mean it's entirely absent. More importantly, Bethesda created another huge and mesmerizing world with post-apocalyptic Boston. There are great stories you can find in this game only by taking time to explore and do sidequests. The lore you can find in notes and, more commonly, computers is often more compelling than the main story. Also, the settlement building is addictive. You'll build yourself a house to store all your excess stuff and then will quickly funnel into you trying to transform a settlement into a Minecraft style masterpiece.

GTA 5: The story is good if you enjoy gritty crime dramas, but the big focus here is the open world. There's not scads of lore to discover like in Fallout, but the AI behind the citizens often does bizarre and hilarious things that can elevate both accidental and intentional player exploits to some of the satisfying and gut bustingly funny things in gaming. In other words, this game encourages you to make the experience your own and gives you the tools to do so, even more so in multiplayer.

Tomb Raider: I never played the originals, but I've played the reboots, so my opinion here doesn't really count, but I'm gonna give it anyway. The reboots are, simply, thrilling. You get the action-movie-meets-Indiana-Jones feel of the original games plus a healthy dose of cleverly designed survival elements that remind you that your character is barely out of her youth and is not yet the badass she will become.

So, yeah, I completely get your skepticism. Hype these days is carefully crafted by publishers to sell games rather than organically generated by word of mouth from actually worthwhile games and has resulted in fiascoes like No Man's Sky, but some of those heavily hyped games really are worth while. If you're a console gamer, I'd recommend borrowing a copy of one of those games from a friend if you can. If you're a PC gamer, Twitch is your friend.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#24 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I love playing SP games and your deff missing out if you don't play all the big blockbuster games

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#25 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58318 Posts

a lot.

story, rich gameplay, exploration, fun combat, boss fights, character interactions

I really enjoy multiplayer games but it just sort of dawned on me that I haven't played one for like five months...basically Battlefield 1 was my last one. Idunno I feel multiplayer games are really specific, essentially shooters and the occasional MMO are the only worthwhile genres for multiplayer. I know a lot of people like MOBOs (?) or whatever they are called and some like RTS games as well.

Singleplayer games encompass all the genres and subgenres, offer a really rich experience, and only lack that one component. It's why I really hate it when they tack on multiplayer, I feel they sucked resources out of a game that could have been spent elsewhere.

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#26 Valgaav_219
Member since 2017 • 3129 Posts

Everyone has their own preferences tbh. I play SP games like The Witcher 3 and Persona 5 for the well written stories, the characters, and the beautiful worlds that they create for you to immerse yourself in. MP games are cool but SP games, especially RPG's are definitely my preference.

Sam3231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 296

#27  Edited By Sam3231
Member since 2008 • 2951 Posts

Absolutely nothing brah

Embrace the meat grinders!

freedom01

Forum Posts