We fracking did it! The Battlefield 3 Boycott worked!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

liquidxtension

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 liquidxtension
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

EA just annnouced that the physical warfare pack will be out for free later this time of the year. After so many people hating on the idea, they finially decided to get out and stick to the fans. Think this is a win for all gamers out there!

Link

StealthMonkey4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 StealthMonkey4
Member since 2009 • 7434 Posts

Not good, caving in to a boycott will just encourage more people to do it whenever they don't get things their way.

ravenguard90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ravenguard90
Member since 2005 • 3064 Posts

Not good, caving in to a boycott will just encourage more people to do it whenever they don't get things their way.

StealthMonkey4

Well, that all depends on the maturity of which these boycotts are based upon. Obviously, things can get out of hand with a ridiculous amount of boycotts for the most outrageous demands, but there can still be some good to be made from such actions, especially if the direction in which a game is going conflicts entirely with what consumers actually want.

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#4 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

StealthMonkey4

Not good as opposed to publishers getting things their way. Brilliant.

Rockman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Rockman999
Member since 2005 • 7507 Posts
Yeah the boycott worked.... :lol:
LustForSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 LustForSoul
Member since 2011 • 6404 Posts
Who said it's a response? Maybe it was what they originally intended.
GhostHero333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 GhostHero333
Member since 2007 • 45 Posts
They just gave in because they need every person to purchase thier game in order for them to be seen on the great games of 2011 list. They just know that once again they will be living in the shadow of Call of Duty.
Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

EA just annnouced that the physical warfare pack will be out for free later this time of the year. After so many people hating on the idea, they finially decided to get out and stick to the fans. Think this is a win for all gamers out there!

Link

liquidxtension

i doubt it was they boycott, it was probably the fact that ea did it without asking dice about it, plus they cant do any wrong moves if they want to compete against mw3

dkdk999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 dkdk999
Member since 2007 • 6754 Posts

StealthMonkey4

how do you know?

Xeogua

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Xeogua
Member since 2010 • 1542 Posts

They just gave in because they need every person to purchase thier game in order for them to be seen on the great games of 2011 list. They just know that once again they will be living in the shadow of Call of Duty.GhostHero333

Let it live in CODs shadow, that just means that COD can keep all the annoying little kids and racists. The community will benefit from it.

Xtatic324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Xtatic324
Member since 2003 • 1340 Posts

[QUOTE="GhostHero333"]They just gave in because they need every person to purchase thier game in order for them to be seen on the great games of 2011 list. They just know that once again they will be living in the shadow of Call of Duty.Xeogua

Let it live in CODs shadow, that just means that COD can keep all the annoying little kids and racists. The community will benefit from it.

Yea I hope the mature people come to play Battlefield 3. Leave all those whiney children to nube toob in MW3... and I hear you on the racists. They thrive on CoD.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#12 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
Boycott or not, it's always great news when EA gives away something for free. If only they'd get rid of that stupid online pass....
Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

StealthMonkey4

Better for us the consumer benefits instead of EA.

IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#14 IndianaPwns39
Member since 2008 • 5037 Posts

I'm going to go ahead and assume that this had absolutely nothing to do with the boycott... considering EA has a tendancy to release timed, free stuff with their games. Bad Company 2 had the Limited Edition, new copies of Alice: Madness Returns comes with a voucher for the original game, if you preordered Dragon Age II you got the signature edition, Crysis 2's first run are all limited edition copies with similar bonuses to Battlefield 3's, etc etc.

GhostHero333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 GhostHero333
Member since 2007 • 45 Posts
Halo is where most the kids linger at. Ive been playing Call of Duty since Call of Duty 2, and been playing Battlefield since Battlefield 1 and honestly more kids play battlefield because there is not as much skill involved, just in using the sniper I guess. And DICE isn't that good at making multiplayer interesting and competitve but for some reason I still play it. Thats why I have Call of Duty to play its all around good. And I know what you are thinkning that I suck at battlefield thats why I hate it but I am good at both trust me. So I will buy both and we shall see who sales more and gets a better score.
Ian_K2772

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Ian_K2772
Member since 2010 • 812 Posts

There was a boycott on the pack?? O_o Where have I been???

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

[QUOTE="liquidxtension"]

Link

Krelian-co

i doubt it was they boycott, it was probably the fact that ea did it without asking dice about it, plus they cant do any wrong moves if they want to compete against mw3

this. I don't think it was the boycott either. Just a coincidence really. I'd say DICE gave them an ear full

StealthMonkey4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 StealthMonkey4

[QUOTE="StealthMonkey4"]

dkdk999

how do you know?

People will see a successful boycott so they will start boycotting, if you just giving in and giving in they'll boycott over everything.

Xeogua

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Xeogua
Member since 2010 • 1542 Posts

Halo is where most the kids linger at. Ive been playing Call of Duty since Call of Duty 2, and been playing Battlefield since Battlefield 1 and honestly more kids play battlefield because there is not as much skill involved, just in using the sniper I guess. And DICE isn't that good at making multiplayer interesting and competitve but for some reason I still play it. Thats why I have Call of Duty to play its all around good. And I know what you are thinkning that I suck at battlefield thats why I hate it but I am good at both trust me. So I will buy both and we shall see who sales more and gets a better score.GhostHero333

I lol'ed, then lol'ed some more. I played COD 4, MW2, and Black Ops and still had more fun with the FIRST Bad Company. They don't have to release a game every year to keep the series fun.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

[QUOTE="GhostHero333"]Halo is where most the kids linger at. Ive been playing Call of Duty since Call of Duty 2, and been playing Battlefield since Battlefield 1 and honestly more kids play battlefield because there is not as much skill involved, just in using the sniper I guess. And DICE isn't that good at making multiplayer interesting and competitve but for some reason I still play it. Thats why I have Call of Duty to play its all around good. And I know what you are thinkning that I suck at battlefield thats why I hate it but I am good at both trust me. So I will buy both and we shall see who sales more and gets a better score.Xeogua

I lol'ed, then lol'ed some more. I played COD 4, MW2, and Black Ops and still had more fun with the FIRST Bad Company. They don't have to release a game every year to keep the series fun.

I know. That guy is spouting some Grade A manure :P DICE is one of the kings of MP. So much so that BF2 was MP only. Halo wouldn't survive as an MP only game. Sure it has good MP but has always had its SP and started as a mainly SP experience. And as far as skill involved, I challenge you to hop onto a PC server and try to survive more than 2 minutes

istuffedsunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#22 istuffedsunny
Member since 2008 • 6991 Posts

StealthMonkey4
Yeah, screw getting things our way!
Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
How did the boycott work if they are doing what they were already planning to do anyways? Winning would be if everyone got the Karkand map.
QuistisTrepe_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 QuistisTrepe_
Member since 2010 • 4121 Posts

StealthMonkey4

You're right. Consumers should just stay quiet and hand over their wallets blindly to whatever the developers on high decide to shower upon the unwashed masses.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

StealthMonkey4

That's silly. Why not stop all petitions and protests while we're at it?

GOGOGOGURT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 GOGOGOGURT
Member since 2010 • 4470 Posts

StealthMonkey4

I can tell you enjoy being a killjoy.

warmaster670

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 warmaster670
Member since 2004 • 4699 Posts

[QUOTE="StealthMonkey4"]

QuistisTrepe_

You're right. Consumers should just stay quiet and hand over their wallets blindly to whatever the developers on high decide to shower upon the unwashed masses.

I take it you didnt actually read the post you quoted?

Throwing a hissy fit over a couple of game skins is somehow acceptable behavoir now? if this was a child he get his *** spanked for behaving like this, gamers are such spoiled littlle brats anymore, especially pc gamers.

And FYI, theres choosing to not buy a game, then theres having a nerdrage fit like a baby trying to discourage other people from buying a game for stupid reasons, guess which one this is?

good_sk8er7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#30 good_sk8er7
Member since 2009 • 4327 Posts

I don't like it, as stated previously, this will make people boycott more. Its not really good for the gaming industry or games.

DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 DarkCatalyst
Member since 2002 • 20972 Posts

StealthMonkey4
I don't see how that's bad.
QuistisTrepe_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 QuistisTrepe_
Member since 2010 • 4121 Posts

[QUOTE="QuistisTrepe_"]

[QUOTE="StealthMonkey4"]

warmaster670

I take it you didnt actually read the post you quoted?

Yep, pretty sure I read it. Will there be anything else?

StealthMonkey4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 StealthMonkey4

[QUOTE="StealthMonkey4"]

trugs26

Believe me, if I could, I would. If you give in to boycotters constantly they will become like spoiled children, they will get in arms over everything, the game is the Developers', they can do what they want with it.

Kurushio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Kurushio
Member since 2004 • 10485 Posts
You cant really boycott something that isnt out for months lol. Though i am still bocotting CoD after what they did to the PC version of MW2. One month before MW2 i was so hyped until i learned of all the bad changes to the MP so i never got the game or any other CoD after 4.
DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 DarkCatalyst

[QUOTE="trugs26"]

[QUOTE="StealthMonkey4"]

StealthMonkey4

Believe me, if I could, I would. If you give in to boycotters constantly they will become like spoiled children, they will get in arms over everything, the game is the Developers', they can do what they want with it.

Look at it this way. Fighting community utterly conquered that genre and it's stronger than it's been in 15 or so years.

Rockman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Rockman999
Member since 2005 • 7507 Posts

There was a boycott on the pack?? O_o Where have I been???

Ian_K2772

Having a life. :P

Elitro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Elitro
Member since 2009 • 578 Posts

What started as evil ends up giving them good publicity... looks like a good move to me.

Still, i'm not gonna lie... i feel they came to their senses and i hope BF does good this year... maybe i'll even pick it up eventually if i get in the mood for a shooter :P

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 trugs26

[QUOTE="trugs26"]

[QUOTE="StealthMonkey4"]

StealthMonkey4

Who says you have to give in to them constantly? When has anyone that isn't stupid given in to protests and petitions (or boycotts) constantly? Now that would be silly too.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#39 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44643 Posts
Wow, I'm surprised, I thought it'd be like a Boycott Sal's moment (language warning)... still getting it day 1 anyways, and people are going to have to wait for this stuff anyways I don't see how it's really won them anything, early weapon unlocks are still going to give advantages to pre-order gamers, plus the pre-order still fetches you a free Back to Karkand map pack while non pre-orders won't... wait, what did the boycott win besides lip service? I think you've all been duped.
StealthMonkey4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 StealthMonkey4

[QUOTE="StealthMonkey4"]

[QUOTE="trugs26"]

trugs26

Who says you have to give in to them constantly? When has anyone that isn't stupid given in to protests and petitions (or boycotts) constantly? Now that would be silly too.

It wasn't so much the people protesting that I'm disappointed in, people will do that and there's not much you can do to stop that them. I'm disappointed that EA gave into their boycott.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#41 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Not good, caving in to a boycott will just encourage more people to do it whenever they don't get things their way.StealthMonkey4
Just accepting whatever a developer/publisher does is a very slippery slope. "Oh, they don't mind paying $5 for this content... lets see if they'll accept $10 for even less content... oh, they did... might as well keep going until they resist." Boycotts are the consumers only way to outwardly tell a company they will not tolerate something they are doing.
trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 trugs26

[QUOTE="trugs26"]

[QUOTE="StealthMonkey4"]

StealthMonkey4

It wasn't so much the people protesting that I'm disappointed in, people will do that and there's not much you can do to stop that them. I'm disappointed that EA gave into their boycott.

Yes well in your original post it seemed like you were talking about boycott's in the general sense. And you also backed that claim up with "if I could I would" stop any protest or petition. You do realise without this ability we are completely controlled by higher powers? (and in the case of developer, no they can't simply do what ever they want with a game, because they rely on the consumer for sales, so it's also the consumer they need to please). I'm not sure about this instance with BF3, but caving into boycott's is all apart of it (as well as petitions and protests), if no one ever caved in, then no one would ever have boycotts, then we would never actually get what we want.

DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 DarkCatalyst
I'll bottom-line it. The concept of voting with your dollar does not go from right to wrong when it is done in a collective manner.
StealthMonkey4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 StealthMonkey4

[QUOTE="StealthMonkey4"]

[QUOTE="trugs26"]

trugs26

Yes well in your original post it seemed like you were talking about boycott's in the general sense. And you also backed that claim up with "if I could I would" stop any protest or petition. You do realise without this ability we are completely controlled by higher powers? (and in the case of developer, no they can't simply do what ever they want with a game, because they rely on the consumer for sales, so it's also the consumer they need to please). I'm not sure about this instance with BF3, but caving into boycott's is all apart of it (as well as petitions and protests), if no one ever caved in, then no one would ever have boycotts, then we would never actually get what we want.

I don't care if people boycott as it usually is a waste of time, I mostly think EA shouldn't have caved in, especially in this case where a boycott was completely unnecessary.

StealthMonkey4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 StealthMonkey4

[QUOTE="StealthMonkey4"]Not good, caving in to a boycott will just encourage more people to do it whenever they don't get things their way.foxhound_fox
Just accepting whatever a developer/publisher does is a very slippery slope. "Oh, they don't mind paying $5 for this content... lets see if they'll accept $10 for even less content... oh, they did... might as well keep going until they resist." Boycotts are the consumers only way to outwardly tell a company they will not tolerate something they are doing.

And if they protest that's their business, I still don't think a company should cave in like that, a bunch of self-entitled people protesting for no reason shouldn't change anything, it's their own game.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 trugs26

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"][QUOTE="StealthMonkey4"]Not good, caving in to a boycott will just encourage more people to do it whenever they don't get things their way.StealthMonkey4

And if they protest that's their business, I still don't think a company should cave in like that, a bunch of self-entitled people protesting for no reason shouldn't change anything, it's their own game.

No reason? A protest is for a reason.

And a company should cave in because it's there consumers. :| It's not just their game, it's the consumers game too. Without the consumer there would be no game.

StealthMonkey4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 StealthMonkey4

[QUOTE="StealthMonkey4"]

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"] Just accepting whatever a developer/publisher does is a very slippery slope. "Oh, they don't mind paying $5 for this content... lets see if they'll accept $10 for even less content... oh, they did... might as well keep going until they resist." Boycotts are the consumers only way to outwardly tell a company they will not tolerate something they are doing.trugs26

And a company should cave in because it's there consumers. :| It's not just their game, it's the consumers game too. Without the consumer there would be no game.

It's for a reason, not a justified one though. And it's a very vocal select few, not their entire consumer userbase.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 trugs26

[QUOTE="trugs26"]

[QUOTE="StealthMonkey4"]

StealthMonkey4

It's for a reason, not a justified one though. And it's a very vocal select few, not their entire consumer userbase.

Sorry this whole conversation keeps slipping from the general case to this particular BF3 case. I'm stopping this conversation now.

TrapMuzik92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 TrapMuzik92
Member since 2009 • 3424 Posts
Boycott or not, it's always great news when EA gives away something for free. If only they'd get rid of that stupid online pass....JustPlainLucas
I know right? Especially how all the DLC on BF2 and BF3 will continue to be on the disk but you just pay to "unlock" it. Games this generation aren't the same as back then, back then you get good quality games, now days your paying $60 and an extra what ten or fifteen bucks to unlock a map pack, just saying.