Was Portal 2 Valve's last major game

This topic is locked from further discussion.

crazyguy111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By crazyguy111
Member since 2013 • 406 Posts

I know that Valve recently made a new counter stroke and Dota 2, however, the last major game that they produced was Portal 2 I believe. I also remember them saying something about only making single player games and Gabe recently almost ruled out a possibility of a half life 3, and said that most of their revenue comes from steam anyways (Source: http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/03/19/gabe-newell-discusses-possibility-of-half-life-3 )

Would you say that Portal 2 was Valve's last major game and from now on they will just focus on making smaller games (that are like $20 or less and are exclusive to steam) or will they continue to make larger games? Thoughts?

Qixote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Qixote
Member since 2002 • 10843 Posts

In terms of scale, production value, sales, and success then the simple fact is Portal 2 was their last major game. Debating that would be like debating the phone book.

Nobody knows where their head is right now. I am not so sure even they know. They seem to more interested in head games than video games at the moment.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 2

#3 mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

@Qixote: they're focused on Steam at the moment.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

I don't know. Most companies are going toward smaller mp games.

If Valve wants to make a new game like a new half-life they will need to step up their game building. FPS has innovated so far beyond what Half-life 2 games did. up

Qixote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Qixote

@mastermetal777 said:

@Qixote: they're focused on Steam at the moment.

They are no more focused on Steam now than they have been in the past 12 other years since in first launched.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 2

#6 mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

@Qixote: considering Steam has increased in popularity and sales, along with them producing Steam machines, it's safe to assume.

so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#7 so_hai
Member since 2007 • 4385 Posts

They can't decide whether they want to make games or make hardware... The "secret" is that you need to do both and do them well. They have all their work ahead of them...

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

VALVe is so secretive and cryptic, that they could have Portal 3, Left4Dead 3 and Half Life 3 in production and no one except internal staff would know.

The most recent Source 2 demo with the Portal feature indicates to me that they are definitely planning a new Portal game. It would be stupid to waste all that time and effort to create new high-definition assets and not turn them into a game.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 wiouds

@foxhound_fox said:

VALVe is so secretive and cryptic, that they could have Portal 3, Left4Dead 3 and Half Life 3 in production and no one except internal staff would know.

The most recent Source 2 demo with the Portal feature indicates to me that they are definitely planning a new Portal game. It would be stupid to waste all that time and effort to create new high-definition assets and not turn them into a game.

You know companies make money off making gaming engines right?

Qixote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Qixote
@wiouds said:

@foxhound_fox said:

Name just one company that has been successful making a new game engine but never made any games with it.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By wiouds

@Qixote said:
@wiouds said:

@foxhound_fox said:

Name just one company that has been successful making a new game engine but never made any games with it.

I don't know. It still does not mean they are working on large games. They can do just as much with smaller games.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#12 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@wiouds said:

Not without showcasing what they are capable of.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#13  Edited By Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

My guess would normally be that they won't bother making a big budget game for as long as Steam has no competition. Why would they? Once Steam starts losing... well, steam, and they'll be in need of money, they'll play the Half-Life 3 card. Ironically, if Origin had been successful, we'd probably have HL3 already.

That said, with the announcement of the new Source engine... yeah, some people in this thread have a point: they need to sell it, and that may mean dropping the 3 bomb. We'll see.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By wiouds

@foxhound_fox said:

@wiouds said:

Not without showcasing what they are capable of.

Which can be done with a number of smaller games which mean there may not be any large games down the road. This is valve the company that says one thing and work toward not doing it.