Want to get into some more mech/mecha games.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: -3

#1 Dudersaper
Member since 2007 • 32952 Posts

What are your favourite mech/mecha games? Preferably either on PC, PS2, PS1 or SNES.

It can be any gameplay genre (tactical, side scroller, 3rd person shooter, etc). just take into account mech design and customization.

Avatar image for Smashbrossive50
Smashbrossive50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#2 Smashbrossive50
Member since 2009 • 3915 Posts
I always recommend Gundam series
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts
Traditional Mech games?
Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Panzer_Zwei
Member since 2006 • 15498 Posts

The CARNAGE HEART series on the PlayStation. They're unique in the way you must design your mech A.I. functions.

bloom467

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 bloom467
Member since 2009 • 192 Posts
Sakura Wars!
Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Dudersaper
Armored Core. Any of them or all of them. I'm actually taking it back and playing the old ps1 games and working my way up to the latest game. Really great games. But if your not familiar then youll probably have trouble. The controls are hard to new comers and the game itself is hard. The hardest games I've ever played. Learning how to competitively pilot the mechs is the trick and that'll take awhile. Highly recommend it however.Motokid6
I've always been looking out for AC, but I'm never sure which to get, and I don't want to risk ordering a game in the series that might not be the best choice, any reccomendations within the series?

The CARNAGE HEART series on the PlayStation. They're unique in the way you must design your mech A.I. functions.

Panzer_Zwei
Never heard of that before, after checking it out, it does look pretty interesting.
Sakura Wars!bloom467
I'm getting that because it has similr gameplay aspects as Galaxy Angel and the Persona games, not exactly for the mechs :P
Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts

Some of my favorites: As for Armored Core, I'd suggest 2 or 3.

SNES:
Front Mission: Gun Hazard - Minimal customization but it does have fun 2D action, lots of robots to blow up and a decent story.
Mechwarrior - A bit dated possibly to someone who hasn't played it but the game is fun with customization and an open mission structure.

PS1:
Front Mission 3 - SRPG with good customization options, very long game also. I still haven't finished it.
Vanguard Bandits: SRPG that doesn't have much customization but there are a lot of mechs to control.

PS2:
Gungriffon Blaze - Fun FPS Mech game, no customization really though iirc. It's been a while since I played it.
Front Mission 4 - Not quite as good as 3 but still good.
Steambot Chronicles - A good amount of customization, the game is fun but the controls take some getting used to.

GBA:
Mech Platoon - Feels a bit dated, but pretty good for a handheld RTS.
Super Robot Taisen: Original Generation 1 and 2 - Think Fire Emblem but with mechs.

PC:
Earth 210 - Not the best RTS around but there are plenty of mechs and you get to design your own units. Worth checking out(it's on GOG for 6 bucks if you can't find a physical copy)
Mechwarrior series
Shogo: Mobile Armor Divison - No customization but it is a fun anime-styled FPS with mechs. (it's also on GOG)
Strike Suit Zero - Straight up action game with a cool mech that transforms similar to the Valkyries in Macross. It might be digital only, not sure if it was released on disc. I'm probably missing some, I'll post more if I think of them.

Panzer_Zwei

How is the gameplay? From the one trailer I saw it looked to me like the player doesn't have direct control.

Djmaster214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Djmaster214
Member since 2005 • 3240 Posts

mech assualt 1 and 2 on the xbox are amazing, i still play them to this day! also...i wanna say there was an awesome one called metal wolf....on the nes...i could be lying its been a while since i played it but look it up

Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Eikichi-Onizuka

mech assualt 1 and 2 on the xbox are amazing, i still play them to this day! also...i wanna say there was an awesome one called metal wolf....on the nes...i could be lying its been a while since i played it but look it up

Djmaster214
Agreed on the Mech Assault games.
SonOfChewbacca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SonOfChewbacca
Member since 2004 • 653 Posts

Zone of the Enders, especially 2nd Runner.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

All good suggestions in this thread, but in addition I'd add the "Robotech Battlecry". It did a good job of emulating the frantic nature of battles in the Macross series.

-Byshop

Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Eikichi-Onizuka

All good suggestions in this thread, but in addition I'd add the "Robotech Battlecry". It did a good job of emulating the frantic nature of battles in the Macross series.

-Byshop

Byshop
I would second this actually, it was a fun game. It had a decent two player mode as well for death matches.
MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MonkeySpot
Member since 2010 • 6070 Posts

I always recommend Gundam seriesSmashbrossive50

Uh... No. Just... NO. The last decent Gundam game was "0079 Side Story" on the Dreamcast. All the rest are broken garbage or fighting games (which can be just OK).

"Armored Core" games are mostly interchangeable, however I think "Nexus" (PS2) is a powerhouse title in the series as far as content, and polish. They removed some features, but added others... Here's a wiki on the pros and cons:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armored_Core:_Nexus

Armored Core games are a hit & miss proposition... You will either love the game, or hate it. Controls are always a bit antiquated (e.g. lots of D-pad/ shoulder button control for stuff which should be dual-stick by PS2 standards), there is a monetary system in place for parts and repair which can be frustrating to newer players, as well as players who don't like that level of reality in a game... But if you can brave the learning curve of controls and get into the customization, there are few series to rival it.

The customization is what i love about the series, I could sit there and change parts, re-paint, for hours... It's like "Barbies" for robot geeks!

:D

(For some stupid Gamespot reason, the link above will only take you to the AC wiki, I cannot get it to recognize the "Nexus" part of the link - Stupid GS... Just search it for yourself and you'll find the "Nexus" listing.)

BigBen11111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 BigBen11111
Member since 2003 • 1529 Posts

My favorite would be Robotech Battlecry for the GameCube, it's also available for the PS2 & X-Box...

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#16 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

There's Super Robot Taisen OG Saga 1 and 2 for the GBA. while you can't design mechs, you can heavily, heavily customize them. It's a really tough game, though. the genre is grid based strategy.  Also keep in mind the mechs are Super deformed, but still pretty damn cool.

Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#17 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

My favorite would be Robotech Battlecry for the GameCube, it's also available for the PS2 & X-Box...

BigBen11111

I hope that's because you haven't played many Mech games. Because Battlecry is about as bland and generic as it gets. It looks like it could have been released on consoles the generation before it, and it still probably would have been bland and generic.

My favorites:

• Armored Core Series (Playstation Systems) - Fantastic mech games with an insane amount of customization for your mechs, and some pretty cool multiplayer arenas, for the time. Spans from the PS1 to the PS3 with multiple entries.

• Future Cop: L.A.P.D. (PS1) - A very fun game where you have a mech that can transform into a hovercraft as well, and is armed to the teeth. You go on missions for the police in a crime-ridden gritty city of the future where excessive force is necessary. Highly destructive environments make this one a "blast" (heh, heh) to play through. And it has a very unique, and very fun, base-defense multiplayer mode.

• MechAssault 1 & 2 (XBox) - Very fun, mission-based, mech games. Tight controls, great gameplay, and highly destructible environments with just the perfect difficulty curve through the games make these must-haves for the original XBox. I don't understand why this superb franchise didn't continue on the 360.

• Transformers (PS2) - This is the game made before the movies came out, starring G1 robots. It's kind of budget-title, but it's still a lot of fun if you're a fan of the original Robots in Disguise.

• Transformers : War For Cybertron and Fall of Cybertron (XBox 360) - Absolutely stunning looking Transformers games with incredibly high production values, and underneath all that slick style it's also pretty fun to play. Great fan-service, here.

• Xenogears (PS1) - A legendary JRPG on the PS1 by Squaresoft involving Mechs, that I'm sure you already know about it. If not, it's well worth playing.

I just picked up Gungriffon Blaze on PS2 not too long ago, but I haven't played it other than testing it out. Seems a bit technical, to tell the truth. But I'll probably come back to the this thread and report my thoughts on it after I do get into it.

I've heard that Bangai-O on Dreamcast is pretty good, but I haven't actually played it.

Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Panzer_Zwei

[QUOTE="Byshop"]

-Byshop

Eikichi-Onizuka

I would second this actually, it was a fun game. It had a decent two player mode as well for death matches.

BATTLECRY was pretty lousy in my opinion. You should try the MACROSS game from SEGA AM2 on the PS2. It's still the best MACROSS game ever made.

4NGoods

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 4NGoods
Member since 2007 • 1030 Posts

Zone of the Enders, especially 2nd Runner.

SonOfChewbacca
this is the right answer.
AtelierFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 AtelierFan
Member since 2006 • 1544 Posts
[QUOTE="Panzer_Zwei"]

Eikichi-Onizuka

How is the gameplay? From the one trailer I saw it looked to me like the player doesn't have direct control.

There is a code to enter that allows direct control of your mech's, but (one of) the point(s) of the game is to make the AI flow charts of the mechs and then watch them carry out your 'orders' in battle. It is hard hard hard (unless you have been doing some real world programming for a while). But... if you have the time and patients, I also recommend it :) Also, on the SNES, Mechwarrior. It's kind of like the old school EA 'Strike' series, but with mechs. And finally, a +1 to Transformers (another poster mentioned it). It was not a budget title (it was originally a full priced game), and is quite fun. It kind of plays like a slower paced Ratchet and Clank. I really enjoyed it. Finally, for some 'now for something colmpletely different' fun, get R.A.D (ROBOT ALCHEMIC DRIVE) - it lives up to its name sake. It has a unique control scheme and is just a blast to play.
final_lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 final_lap
Member since 2006 • 388 Posts

you should try Ace Combat X, Ace Combat Joint Assault

Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Dudersaper
[QUOTE="Eikichi-Onizuka"][QUOTE="Panzer_Zwei"]

AtelierFan

There is a code to enter that allows direct control of your mech's, but (one of) the point(s) of the game is to make the AI flow charts of the mechs and then watch them carry out your 'orders' in battle. It is hard hard hard (unless you have been doing some real world programming for a while). But... if you have the time and patients, I also recommend it :)

R.A.D is amazing, one of my favourite games on the PS2 :D btw, what do you mean by "real world programming"? I'm interested on how that will affect my performance in the game, I work with programming but I'm confident none of the languages I know will actually help me in a mech game :P Can you just elaborate a bit?
AtelierFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 AtelierFan
Member since 2006 • 1544 Posts
[QUOTE="AtelierFan"][QUOTE="Eikichi-Onizuka"] How is the gameplay? From the one trailer I saw it looked to me like the player doesn't have direct control.Dudersaper
There is a code to enter that allows direct control of your mech's, but (one of) the point(s) of the game is to make the AI flow charts of the mechs and then watch them carry out your 'orders' in battle. It is hard hard hard (unless you have been doing some real world programming for a while). But... if you have the time and patients, I also recommend it :)

R.A.D is amazing, one of my favourite games on the PS2 :D btw, what do you mean by "real world programming"? I'm interested on how that will affect my performance in the game, I work with programming but I'm confident none of the languages I know will actually help me in a mech game :P Can you just elaborate a bit?

'real world programming' - that was a phrase an acquaintance threw out when I was explaining the game to her. That was a little vague - sorry! There is an auto program function if you are getting stumped. But, once again, most of the fun of the game is the successful programming of your mech!
vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#24 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts
Zone of the Enders: The Second Runner, easily
MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 MonkeySpot

final_lap

:lol:

You should try Reading Comprehension. Here's a link:

LINK

Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Panzer_Zwei

Zone of the Enders: The Second Runner, easilyvashkey

But what can you customize in that game?

Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Dudersaper

[QUOTE="vashkey"]Zone of the Enders: The Second Runner, easilyPanzer_Zwei

But what can you customize in that game?

Nothing, really, you can just choose what special weapon to use. Although it's not exactly the kind of mech game I was looking for in this thread, I do love the series, some of my favourite games.
Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#28 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

[QUOTE="Dudersaper"][QUOTE="AtelierFan"] There is a code to enter that allows direct control of your mech's, but (one of) the point(s) of the game is to make the AI flow charts of the mechs and then watch them carry out your 'orders' in battle. It is hard hard hard (unless you have been doing some real world programming for a while). But... if you have the time and patients, I also recommend it :) AtelierFan

'real world programming' - that was a phrase an acquaintance threw out when I was explaining the game to her. That was a little vague - sorry! There is an auto program function if you are getting stumped. But, once again, most of the fun of the game is the successful programming of your mech!

RAD was a trip. I love the idea of a giant fighting robot game where you have to pay for collateral property damage.

It also had the best dialog/voice acting of any game ever: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4iIOBB0nfw

-Byshop

Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Dudersaper

[QUOTE="AtelierFan"][QUOTE="Dudersaper"]R.A.D is amazing, one of my favourite games on the PS2 :D btw, what do you mean by "real world programming"? I'm interested on how that will affect my performance in the game, I work with programming but I'm confident none of the languages I know will actually help me in a mech game :P Can you just elaborate a bit?Byshop

RAD was a trip. I love the idea of a giant fighting robot game where you have to pay for collateral property damage.

It also had the best dialog/voice acting of any game ever: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4iIOBB0nfw

-Byshop

Yeah, the income being affect by how much is destroyed was a nice touch, but imo the real highlight in the game are the controls, they may not be the sharpest, but for some reason I just freaking LOVED the controls and the way you have to strategically place your human to have a good view of the fight. That and the second highlight is definetly the amazing voice acting work.
final_lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 final_lap
Member since 2006 • 388 Posts

[QUOTE="final_lap"]

MonkeySpot

LINK

Joint Assault offers a lot of customization

if anyone likes mech games I think they'll be surprised

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 MonkeySpot

[QUOTE="MonkeySpot"]

[QUOTE="final_lap"]

final_lap

LINK

Joint Assault offers a lot of customization

if anyone likes mech games I think they'll be surprised

Did ya click the link? I think you need to click it again. Ace Combat games are fantastic, but they have NOTHING to do with this thread. I own both the titles, I understand what you're trying to say, but they're jet combat games. Troll.

thedork_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 thedork_knight
Member since 2011 • 2664 Posts
if you want a proper mech sim forget everything mentioned and get yourself an xbox and steel battelion complete with control pad and pedals, but to warn you it aint for the faint hearted
MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 MonkeySpot

if you want a proper mech sim forget everything mentioned and get yourself an xbox and steel battelion complete with control pad and pedals, but to warn you it aint for the faint heartedthedork_knight

Agreed.