Virtual Console Releases for 10/15/07! (Metal Gates of Chaos!)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Phantom_Leo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 Phantom_Leo
Member since 2002 • 7090 Posts
WII-KLY UPDATE: THREE NEW CLASSIC GAMES ADDED TO WII SHOP CHANNEL

Oct. 15, 2007

This week marks the first appearance of a CD-ROM game for the TurboGrafx16 on Virtual ConsoleTM. Take control of the Hunting Dog ship and battle deadly Obbellon fighters in the clas-sic horizontal sci-fi shooter, Gate of Thunder. If shooting's not your thing, you can go out and save the world from evil demons or a power-hungry general in this week's other offerings that bolster the Wii Shop Channel's catalog of action-adventure and real-time strategy games.

Three new clas-sic games go live at 9 a.m. Pacific time. Nintendo adds new games to the Wii Shop Channel every Monday. WiiTM owners with a high-speed Internet connection can redeem Wii PointsTM to download the games. Wii Points can be purchased in the Wii Shop Channel or at retail outlets. This week's new games are:

Ninja Gaiden IITM: The Dark Sword of Chaos (NES®, 1 player, rated E for Everyone - Mild Violence, 500 Wii Points): In Ninja Gaiden II: The Dark Sword of Chaos, a new villain, Ashtar, is revealed. Take on the role of Ryu Hayabusa and rescue Irene Lew, a former CIA agent, from Ashtar. Destroy the Sword of Chaos, a weapon of great power forged from the bone of a demon. Use techniques such as the Fire Wheel or the Windmill Throwing Star and attack while holding on to walls and ladders. Use the most innovative technique of all - the ability to create Shadow Clones, orange shadow versions of Ryu that will constantly follow him, repeating previous actions (moving or attacking) in a delayed cycle. Once again defeat henchmen, creatures and bosses with new fighting techniques and even more weapons as you progress through multiple stages on your way to destroying Ashtar, Jaquio and the Realm of Chaos.

Metal Marines® (Super NES®, 1 player, rated E for Everyone - Fantasy Violence, 800 Wii Points): Set in the near future, most of Earth's land has been disintegrated in the chaos of the Anti-matter War. This real-time strategy game portrays the Colonies' Allied Force - the Metal Marines - in their epic struggle against General Zorgeuf and the Imperial Federation, who are bent on world domination. Commanding the Metal Marines across a series of battles, the player must strategically allocate resources, ready supplies, manage funds and move troops in an effort to outwit and outmove the opponent. The real-time battle system rewards split-second decisions and adaptability in the struggle for military superiority. Unlike most turn-based strategy games, Metal Marines engrosses the player in a fast-paced and frantic battle in which both sides advance simultaneously. A constant eye must be kept on enemy movements to maintain a formidable defense and not miss the perfect chance to strike. Strategic foresight and quick judgment hold the key to victory.

Gate of Thunder(TurboGrafx16, 1 player, rated E for Everyone - Fantasy Violence, 800 Wii Points): The legendary sci-fi shooter is back! Gate of Thunder is a horizontal side-scrolling shooter that places you in control of special undercover agent Hawk, whose mission is to stop the deadly army of Obbellon fighters. Jump into the action as Hawk gets aboard his ship, the Hunting Dog, and heads out toward the enemy. Blast through stages while effectively using all three of the weapons at your disposal and receiving support from ally Wild Cat ships. Switch through equippable power-up options on the fly to change the direction of your attack. You'll have to blast in front of and behind you to survive all seven stages. Hard-core shooting-game fans looking for a challenge can select HARD or DEVIL mode to experience even more intense action!

For more information about Wii, please visit wii.com.

Phantom_Leo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 Phantom_Leo
Member since 2002 • 7090 Posts

Holy flippin' crud! This has got to be the most exciting week yet!

Haven't heard of Metal Marines or Gate of Thunder? Doesn't matter!

These two gems are some of the best hidden treasures of the 8 and 16 bit Golden Age of gaming!

I am sooo excited by this week's releases that my hands are literally shaking as I am typing this ! ! !

King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#3 King9999
Member since 2002 • 11837 Posts
Ah, Gate of Thunder. I played that on the Duo. I highly recommend that game to anyone who wants to play a good shmup.
spidermonkey11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 spidermonkey11
Member since 2007 • 1716 Posts
Thanks for the update Phantom and I might give Gate of Thunder a try
gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 gaminggeek
Member since 2003 • 14223 Posts
Eh. I got super metroid on friday and tommorrow japan gets Cybernator aka assualt suits valken. So these games.... eh.
Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44481 Posts
Wow! The VC just keeps getting the hits. Ninja Gaiden II is a fantastic game that I would recommend to anyone and although I never played Metal Marines or Gate of Thunder I have heard great things about them and I love me a good shoot 'em up so when I get around to getting a Wii they would also be a couple of games I'd seriously consider on grabbing.
Ravenprose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Ravenprose
Member since 2007 • 418 Posts
I'm glad to see Turbo-CD games coming out on VC. This gives me some hope that Saturn games may show up on there someday. *crosses fingers*
Robio_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#8 Robio_basic
Member since 2002 • 7059 Posts

I'd now like to do my impression of me playing Ninja Gaiden II

*dies*

*dies*

*dies*

GAME OVER

Few games have ever given me that much trouble so quickly. I'm debating whether or not to even bother spending money on it since all I forsee is frustration and anger. On another note, I'm very surprised I have no memory of Metal Marines. That game lookspretty good. Can anyone give an educated opinion on it?

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#9 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
Hhahaha Robo I finished the first Ninja Gaiden earlier this year and let me tell you the last act of the game is some of the most sadistic and brutally hard game design I have ever seen. A super long act where you got to fight 3 bosses in a row and if you die at any point its back to the very start for you! Soo much swearing and gamer l33tness it took for me to finish that game. This is one of the most awesome weeks yet, I want all 3 of those games, they will have to wait until my next pay though *sigh*... im soo going on a VC shopping spree! Where is my HD Nintendo? :evil:
Spirit_of_87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Spirit_of_87
Member since 2003 • 2423 Posts

Hell yeah, Gate of Thunder and Ninja Gaiden II. Damn it! I need more space.

Travo_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Travo_basic
Member since 2003 • 38751 Posts

I'm definitely getting Ninja Gaiden II. I loved that game, even though it was very punishing.

DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DarkCatalyst
Member since 2002 • 20972 Posts

Sure it's not Sin & Punishment/SMB2 or the NeoGeo launch, but hell, I'll take all three.

For those keeping score at home... ^_^

TOTAL: 107/157
NES: 34/46
TURBO DUO: 17/41
NEOGEO: 3/3 ***COMPLETE***
GENESIS: 22/36
SNES: 22/22 ***COMPLETE***
N64: 9/9 ***COMPLETE***

DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DarkCatalyst
Member since 2002 • 20972 Posts

*dies*

*dies*

*dies*

GAME OVERRobio_basic

Seriously? I found II to be the easiest game in the series...I finished it long before I beat the original or III...

Robio_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#14 Robio_basic
Member since 2002 • 7059 Posts
[QUOTE="Robio_basic"]

*dies*

*dies*

*dies*

GAME OVERDarkCatalyst

Seriously? I found II to be the easiest game in the series...I finished it long before I beat the original or III...

Yep, 2 gave me a lot of trouble. 3 was the hardest for me, but I never really thought the first was that tough with the exception of the last level. Guess those Nintendo Power strategies did pay off. My subscription ran out just before Sword of Chaos was released if I correctly recall.