violence and swearing in games

This topic is locked from further discussion.

vicja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 vicja
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
I am having a constant battle with my 12 yr old son who seems to only want 15+ games. I am trying to be a responsible mum but its hard battling against peer pressure. Looking at the games for his age, i can understand why he wants the higher age games and it baffles me why game designers can't do these sorts of games without the swearing, sex and blood. I am researching a game he wants which is mass effect 2. Can anyone please tell me what swear words are in this game and how much blood. much appreciated for any help x
Strider_91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 Strider_91
Member since 2007 • 6570 Posts
I may be wrong but i think blood in mass effect is almost non-exsistant. And i think if there is any bad language there will be an option to turn it off. I agree with the lack of choice for people under a certain age, making it harder for parents. But only suggestion i have would to be checking out a game before hand, rather than using the age as an indicator because you really are restricted otherwise. Mass effect would be a good game for your child as it offers alot of gameplay and minimal swearing/blood if any. Good luck :D
koospetoors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3 koospetoors
Member since 2004 • 3715 Posts
Mass Effect 2 isn't gory or anything, but there are a few scenes that can give your son ideas, for instance there is a part where you can punch a woman in the face or use violence to get things right, but its not as bad as it sounds, trust me. The occasional F word can be heard here and there, but its never overused. I say let him have it, there really isn't anything nasty to the game, even the sex scenes are a waste of time anyways since nothing gets shown.
Kokuya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Kokuya
Member since 2006 • 99 Posts

In some respects I'd say; have a go of them yourself!

Even though gaming is probably something you're not heavily into, there's no reason to stop you picking up the controller and playing through some of the demos yourself. That way you can decide (in the same way as you would for a film) whether or not you think it's excessive or whether he'll be fine to play it. Or if you're really not wanting to play them, there's always a ton of user-videos on youtube after release so you can see how the game works. In many ways, it'll also help you avoid any tension that can spring up with gaming and parents - both of you will understand where the other one is coming from a little more and it might help to reduce some of the fights that can happen (Maybe he doesn't cause arguments, but I know a lot of kids do when it comes to gaming...Especially when it comes to leaving their game when they reach a boss :P).

Other than that, I'd generally say that most game certificates are higher than they should be; for example, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 is an 18; but you can join the army in real life and get killed when you're just 16.

I guess all I'm saying is; you know him better than anybody else and it's really up to you to work out whether you feel it's suitable or not - even if it was rated a 12, it might not be something you wanted him to play.

In terms of Mass Effect 2, there's very little gore or intense violence; and with that, each action has it's consequences, so killing an innocent person, can change the game to reflect it. As for sex, you can select the options to have sex; so long as you've built a relationship with the person, but there is no visual sex scenes - just the implication that you are going to do it. Generally, the game is more of a role-playing-game than a shooting game; the focus is really about character development and interaction, not just killing stuff.

PS: I think it's great that you're actually looking up the games to see what they're like - it's much better than most parents do!

vicja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 vicja
Thanks for taking the time to reply. If there is some way of turning off the swearing, that would be good. I can never go by what they say on their warnings because you don't know the level of the swearing/gore. In the Avatar game aged 12 it says it has swearing in it which baffles me in a 12 game. Could this be the reason why kids think its ok these days 2 swear and be violent. That is my worry. I know i'm being a harsh mum lol, but i'd rather be safe than sorry. Think i'll probably have to hire it out to see for myself. Gone are the days he used to like games like pokemon or fifa! mind you, always thought pokemon was abit cruel lol x
King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#6 King9999
Member since 2002 • 11837 Posts

Mass Effect 2 contains:

• Some swearing. There are some instances of the "F" and "S" word, but they're not over-used.
  • Mature themes. The game discusses things that a 12-year old probably wouldn't be interested in, except sex.
  • Sex. Characters have sex in the game, but there's no nudity, and no acts are shown; you just know that it happened. Characters talk about relationships where sex is involved, but it's all implied...nothing graphic.
  • Violence. You shoot enemies with guns, but that's really it. Even though ME2 is a M-rated game, it's not gory at all. It's all the other stuff that gives it its rating.

I'm trying to think back to when I was 12, and I'm wondering if I would like a game like ME2. Maybe being 12 today is different from being 12 in the past (I was 12 back in the 90's). I might be totally wrong in what I'm about to say here, but there's a lot of dialogue in the game that might make the game seem boring to your son. Kids (boys in this case) want action, and ME2 has that. But you have to read through dialogue before you get to the action. The swearing is the only thing you'll probably have to worry about. As for the sex...he probably knows more than you think.

EDIT: The PC version of Mass Effect 2 does not have any sort of language filter. It may be different for the 360 version. And LOL at your Pokemon comment. Apparently, the Pokeballs are like paradise inside.

wwefanforlife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 120

#7 wwefanforlife
Member since 2006 • 3248 Posts

The only game where I know you can bleep out the swearing is Brutal Legend as it gives you an option to do so.

vicja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 vicja
Thanks kokuya for those words of encouragement. I hate being the bad guy but i do it from a good place. Too many of his mates have got these games he wants so it makes it tough saying no but i believe half of these parents see it as a babbysitter and keeps kids out of their hair. I am going by what i see of other kids and how they talk to their parents. My boy has shown violence after playing Halo which my stupid bro gave him without me knowing. To me it doesn't seem like a coincidence so i banned him from games over the age of 12. I can fully understand his arguement that there are no decent games for his age group which i think is pretty sad. I did warn him before he got 360 that he probably wouldn't be able to get half the games he wanted. I'm trying to be fair so am seeking advice. As for me playing those sorts of games, i'm a sap lol! They give me nightmares, thats why it worries me on how it affects kids x
vicja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 vicja
Why do they need sex in these games especially if they know kids will be playing them? It would be good if these games had parental control so that all that stuff could be turned off. He was playing a game with his mates where it said how many times they had sex. I just think its wrong. God i feel like an old granny! It makes me feel bad. Hes got a wii which i thought would be better for his age but he doesn't seem interested in that one. I think 360 and play station 3 is more of an adult console x
King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 King9999

Why do they need sex in these games especially if they know kids will be playing them? It would be good if these games had parental control so that all that stuff could be turned off. He was playing a game with his mates where it said how many times they had sex. I just think its wrong. God i feel like an old granny! It makes me feel bad. Hes got a wii which i thought would be better for his age but he doesn't seem interested in that one. I think 360 and play station 3 is more of an adult console xvicja

It's the times. I've learned that there are only a few things that will always be absolute in this world.

The truth is, your kid shouldn't be playing a game like ME2 because it wasn't made for people like him. It just so happens that he finds the content appealing, which is why he asked you to buy it for him.

vicja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 vicja
Bring back the days when Mario, sonic and street fighter were enuff to keep us entertained for hours. My boy would get bored with them. Hes got Mario Kart but rarely plays it. Says its too easy. They need to try and come up with a 12 game that is more challenging but age appropriate. Looks like its a trip to Blockbuster to see what its like and make a decision from there. Appreciate all your comments. Feel abit like a nana 4 asking but needs must x
dog_dirt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 dog_dirt
Member since 2009 • 2813 Posts

ME2 is all about shooting people. which is far worse than the odd ****, **** or **** imo.

King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 King9999

Bring back the days when Mario, sonic and street fighter were enuff to keep us entertained for hours. My boy would get bored with them. Hes got Mario Kart but rarely plays it. Says its too easy. They need to try and come up with a 12 game that is more challenging but age appropriate. Looks like its a trip to Blockbuster to see what its like and make a decision from there. Appreciate all your comments. Feel abit like a nana 4 asking but needs must xvicja

He should try a Mega Man game if he's looking for a challenge. Mega Man 10 is out for the Wii. The only problem that he might have with it is the graphics. The graphics are fine for me because that's what I grew up with, but it might be a different story for your son. Yeah...being 12 these days is definitely different.

fend_oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 fend_oblivion
Member since 2006 • 6760 Posts

Why do they need sex in these games especially if they know kids will be playing them? It would be good if these games had parental control so that all that stuff could be turned off. He was playing a game with his mates where it said how many times they had sex. I just think its wrong. God i feel like an old granny! It makes me feel bad. Hes got a wii which i thought would be better for his age but he doesn't seem interested in that one. I think 360 and play station 3 is more of an adult console xvicja

Mass Effect does have blood. You can usually see blood splattered rooms and burnt bodies. It does have swearing with the occasional f-word, it's got clothed exotic dancers, mature story (some of the characters were raped, talk about the people they slept with etc), has uncomfortable sexual situations in which you can make advances, it has cleavage, one of the starting missions involves you having to go to a planet called Omega which has a club (clothed dancers - but you can see them gyrating on poles) and is overall a game not meant for minors. It's a great game but definitely not for kids.

Instead you should get your son a good T rated game.

For the 360 and PS3 :

1) Final Fantasy XIII (RPG : Role Playing Game)

2) DiRT 2 (Racing)

3) Fifa Soccer 2010 (Sports)

4) Burnout Paradise (Racing)

5) Prince of Persia 2008 (Action Adventure)

6) Battlefield: Bad Company (First Person Shooter)

For 360 only:

1) Ace Combat 6 (Plane sim)

2) Banjo- Kazooie : Nuts & Bolts (Platformer)

3) Forza Motorsport 3 (Racing game)

For the PS3 only:

1) Uncharted : Drake's Fortune (Action Adventure)

2) Uncharted 2 : Among Thieves (Action Adventure)

3) inFamous (Open World Action Adventure)

4) Ratchet and Clank Future:Tools of Destruction(Platforming)

5) Ratchet and Clank Future : A Crack In Time (Platforming)

Oh and the Uncharted games have crude humor and some kissing scenes (if that's a problem) in it. I wouldn't recommend Batman Arkham Asylum (a T rated game) because 2 of the game's characters (Posion Ivy and Harley Quinn) show both cleavage and wear thongs, covered by mini skirts. It's a 16+ title.

And one more thing : you shouldn't be too protective about your child. Blood isn't that big an issue. The above games have little to no blood in them. Hope this helps.

3KindgomsRandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#18 3KindgomsRandy
Member since 2005 • 15488 Posts

There is sex in the game because it's targeted specifically at adults. Mass Effect is not a game for children. Would you bother showing a child The Godfather or Schindler's List? Of course not. Why? Because they're movies made with adults in mind. I own Mass Effect 2 and neither my 14 year old nor my 10 year old are allowed to play it.

The thing you have to get your mind around is that there is a subset of games made with older kids and adults in mind now, just like with any other media, and be firm in what you allow your son to play. There's plenty of good stuff out there that is age appropriate.

vicja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 vicja
I agree 3KingdomsRandy. I have that battle too with my boy. His mates are allowed to watch and play inappropriate stuff. Him and his mates are atm playing Modern Warfare 2, trying to convince me why they should be allowed to get this game. He has just shot someone in the head and seems to think that is ok!!!!!!! As a single mum, the buck stops with me and i have no back-up so i'm a horrible mum lol x
Avatar image for Grammaton-Cleric
Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Grammaton-Cleric
Member since 2002 • 7515 Posts

Why do games need gore and swearing?

The same reason a Martin Scorsese film contains gore and swearing.

You have mistaken this medium to be juvenile when in reality the average gamer is roughly 25-35 years of age. Just because something is a videogame doesn't mean it was designed for children and the only way a child can get their hands on an M rated game is for their parent to buy it for them. Almost all retailers have a system in place that impedes a minor from purchasing M games so it is unreasonable to assume developers make games knowing young children will play them.

As to the notion of some sort of censoring functionality built into a game, some titles do have such settings but not all developers feel obligated to include them and frankly, I don't blame them.Those who make games, like film directors and authors, have a vision of what they wish to convey and some of them will not compromise the integrity of their work for the sakeof children who shouldn't be playing these games to begin with.

Personally, I applaud your proactive efforts as a parent but please understand videogames have evolved far past the point of being fodder for children; it's a viable and artistic medium and many of the games on the market reflect those contemporary sensibilities.

calvinsora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#21 calvinsora
Member since 2009 • 7076 Posts

First of all, it's seriously cool that you study the games for your son, I applaud you for that. I've actually seen parents suggesting GTA for their kid. The kid said no, so I felt right confused after that experience.

I can't say much about ME myself, but it seems it handles some mature issues, not in an overbearing or overused way, but in a rational way instead. It's certainly not over the top, but the jury is out on whether your son would like the game in question. I probably would have, but it depends mostly on what games he's already a fan of. There are also some other great games that have more kid-friendly components, like FFXIII, the Ratchet and Clank games, and some of the games on PSN. I especially recommend the last option there, since there is a treasure trove of content for all ages, like Megaman 9 (and the upcoming 10), Flower, Braid (kinda complex, though), Trash Panic and Pixeljunk Shooter, to name just a few.

I myself am a person that up to the age of 16 followed every PEGI guideline, and am not a fan of gratuitous violence, swearing and sexual content. If it's done in a meaningful way, however, I have nothing against it personally. What really bothers me is the lack of games on the other side of the spectrum. I was lucky enough to be a kid when gems likeCrash Bandicoot, Spyro, Banjo-Kazooie and Pokemon were all the rage, and when I became older, more mature games came along and I had access to them later on. Nowadays, I think the choices a parent has today when it comes to games for the youngest generation are incredibly slim. Some of the good old franchises have fallen to dust, and the devs have gon on to bigger things. The Wii has been strong in offering quality entertainment for all ages, but even that is just a small percentage of the wider market, and most of the things marketed towards children just fails to stand up toother games in terms of quality. It's a bit sad, to be honest.

Gaming as an industry has become grander and more sophisticated, but I feel some developers must remember that children should be part of their demographic. If I were a young kid today, I'd be quite upset.

hiphopballer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#22 hiphopballer
Member since 2009 • 4059 Posts

Mass Effect 2 isn't gory or anything, but there are a few scenes that can give your son ideas, for instance there is a part where you can punch a woman in the face or use violence to get things right, but its not as bad as it sounds, trust me. The occasional F word can be heard here and there, but its never overused. I say let him have it, there really isn't anything nasty to the game, even the sex scenes are a waste of time anyways since nothing gets shown.koospetoors

this. Mass Effect 2 will be alright for him

DesertPunk666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 DesertPunk666

I'm playing Mass Effect 2 on my PC right now, the usual swear words are there, but don't come up with every character, only one of them actually swears alot in the game.

As for the blood and gore, when you shoot someone, or snipe them, you don't really see blood, maybe some on walls in some areas.

There is sexual content in the game, but you can easilly screw that up since this is a make choices game.

So if you do decide to get it, ask some other people who have also played it so you can make a fair judgement. We're all gamers, but don't all have the same views of games.

fend_oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 fend_oblivion

You're doing a great job as a mother by the way. Just don't be too protective. One day that 12 year old will be a grown up.

Use this site for accurate ratings for a game. The Uncharted games have little blood. I'm pretty sure you'll see more blood on the news than in this game.

And I would start talking to your son. Since he is already 12, this is a great time to start talking about the changes he's gonna experience during puberty. If you can get him to understand during this time, he'll have no problem of opening upto you when he bigger problems. Talk to him very supportively and tell him why he shouldn't play games that are too mature. Tell him it's better to progress slowly. And I know this is hard - but try to make him understand that you'll never think less of him incase he makes mistakes and that you're trying to the best you can as a mother to protect him.

Oh and if you're son has a 360 - get Gears of War 2. It has parental controls to block out all the violence and swearing.

Personally, I come from a culture that has no problem with blood or foul language. But sex/nudity is something we always look in shame. If it's between spouses and if it is done in secret (like it should be!) there is no problem. I hate nudity/sex in my video games because of this. So even during the God Of War games, I switch off the TV during the parts which has nudity. This avoiding of sex/nudity has become a habit of mine as a result.

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

I pretty sure Mass Effect 2 isn't that bad for swearing, but I know the game has a lot of "implied" sex. Some of the female characters, while not nude, do appear in the game with their shirts off... so if you want your 12 year old seeing that, thats up to you...

Vesica_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Vesica_Prime
Member since 2009 • 7062 Posts

I'd personally recommend the Halo games as the language in-game is not regarded by many as crude, the violence is pretty tame compared to some other games out as most of the time you shoot aliens instead of humans plus the game isn't crazy about turning everything you see into a blood fountain and the best thing is that the gameplay is pretty solid and extremely fun.

Also thanks for researching games before you buy them for your child, really good to actually hear there are parents that have common sense rather than just blindly buy a videogame only to find out it is unsuitable for their child because they didn't do research beforehand.

Also from what I've seen, the sex scenes in Mass Effect 2 are implied (as in you do not see any reproductive organs). The violence is not exaggerated and just serves as a graphical detail, and that the game is not revolved around shooting but around character building and role-playing.

vicja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 vicja
I am not one of those parents who buy their kids these games. Its from irresponsible uncles lol! I am naive when it comes to games hence why i have seeked advice and i paid no mind to the games his uncles gave him, assuming they wouldn't give him inappropriate games. They can't understand why i don't agree with those games for kids. Its only been in the last year that i have realised what he has been playing when i watched him playing Halo which he had for a while (curtersy of my bro). It makes me wonder why, if these games aren't meant for kids, why are so many parents letting them have them. I can understand why companies don't care. Its more money in their pockets. To hell with any consequences! I wish there was some penalty for parents who let their kids have these games and that includes films which parents let their kids watch. Just because they are able to, doesn't mean they should. Parents need to learn to say no!
vicja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 vicja
I would like to thank everyone for your words of encouragement. It's making me feel abit better about being a horrible mum. I've never bent to peer pressure before so i don't want to start now. Especially being guilt tripped into it by a 12 yr old! The only games hes seems interested in are army games and shoot 'em up. I have explained to him that i would buy him more games if he wanted Mario, Fifa etc but i refuse to buy him games just coz his mates have them. He is a good kid and we can talk about most things thankfully. My compromise is that i will research the games he wants first then if i think they are ok, he can get them. If he still continues to guilt trip me, i will just get rid of the console. He has a wii aswell which i think he should play more of x
Solori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#29 Solori
Member since 2007 • 462 Posts

You are the parent so only your opinion matters as to what is appropriate for your kid.

My only advice to you would be to explain to your kid exactly why you don't want him playing certain games. When my tween nephew wanted to play GTAIV, I explained to him in detail why I thought it was not appropriate for him. I did that because I knew that they even though I would not let him play it, he would most likely end up playing it at a friend's house. That way I put my spin on what he was exposed to.

Sadly, kids have way too much access to objectionable material these days. Hell, I find many things on regular tv to be objectionable. I think it is safest to just assume that they will be exposed to it and try to prepare them for it. Note, I am not saying to just give in and let them play objectionable games. That is definitely not the answer.

I told my nephew that GTAIV was definitely out. A couple of weeks later he told me he had played it at a friend's house. We ended up discussing how the game contained the things that I had told him about and I could tell that my spin on things had affected the way he looked at the game. That is probably the best you can hope for when dealing with kids and objectionable things in games, tvs, and movies. I told him he still wasn't allowed to play GTAIV at my house and I reminded him that he shouldn't play it at friend's house either. I know he will probably still not listen to me (peer pressure) but I control what I can.

For the record, I do let him play Modern Warfare 2 type games. (His parents are OK with this). But I sit there and watch him (I usually make him mute everyone as the most objectionable part of those games is usually the people talking over the mike) and I make sure to remind him that there is a difference between killing computer people in video games and killing in real life while he is playing. He's a smart kid, so I know he gets it. But I am aware that not all kids are at the same maturity level. That is why it is up to each parent to decide what is best for their individual kids.

vicja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 vicja
I am sitting here watching him play Mass Effect 2 now and the graphics are phenominal!!!! Haven't so far seen much to be concerned with but will watch on. I like the approach of the above who says bout explaining why i think its inappropriate and hope that when he goes to a mates house, he'll see what i mean even if he doesn't admit to it. x
Evil_Saluki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#31 Evil_Saluki
Member since 2008 • 5217 Posts

I want more violence and more swearing in my games. Well swearing must not be too forced but violence and sex, yes please.

el_rika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 el_rika
Member since 2004 • 3474 Posts

Mass Effect 2 doesn't have too much gore and it doesn't have too much harsh language either. This is a plus imo.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#33 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
What They Play is a great website for parents who, like you, are trying to understand what games are suited for their kids. Here's their Mass Effect 2 review.
chrisPperson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#34 chrisPperson
Member since 2008 • 1393 Posts
What They Play is a great website for parents who, like you, are trying to understand what games are suited for their kids. Here's their Mass Effect 2 review.Black_Knight_00
Thank you for posting this website. This is a great website for parents in your position, and I strongly suggest you make this your first stop when in dilemmas like this.
fend_oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 fend_oblivion

I am sitting here watching him play Mass Effect 2 now and the graphics are phenominal!!!! Haven't so far seen much to be concerned with but will watch on. I like the approach of the above who says bout explaining why i think its inappropriate and hope that when he goes to a mates house, he'll see what i mean even if he doesn't admit to it. xvicja

You bought him Mass Effect 2? :S

What happened to your objection of violence, language and sexual content?

sensei_hEnRY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 2

#36 sensei_hEnRY
Member since 2008 • 6690 Posts
i can't comment much about it since you have already buy the game for your kid. Just remember consistency. No means No, that's how my mom taught me
X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
No consoles until 15 unless it's a wii.
Pvt_r3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Pvt_r3d
Member since 2006 • 7901 Posts
A good spanking. Joking Mass Effect 2 does seem a little too much for a 12 year old though I swear I thought I've seen an option to turn off mature things in the game...
eh-ut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 eh-ut
Member since 2009 • 563 Posts
It's not too gore. If he want to, you can can see your son when he play this game.
vicja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 vicja
Don't worry peeps, i haven't gone soft. My compromise was he could borrow it from his mate so i can see for myself what it has in it. The short space of time i saw it, i didn't see much to worry about. I didn't hear any swearing, not much blood but i did see the lap dancers who to me looked naked although supposedly alien. I think he'll have to borrow it again before i make my decision. It looks abit like Halo to me. I thought it has a good format. I like the fact that they can chose the story line. If only there was a tamer version that he would be satisfied with. Thanks for the link. Will look up future games that mite cause me conflict aswell as asking you very kind people for advice x
olrion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#41 olrion
Member since 2005 • 457 Posts

It's very responsible to approach gamers this way regarding games, but without meaning to sound too unsupportive it's almost impossible to stop a twelve year old from being exposed to swearing and violence nowadays. As many people have mentioned above Mass Effect 2 contains gun violence, sexual references and occasional swearing. If you feel your child will react well when being exposed to these types of references then I'm sure it won't be a problem. Now try not to be too horrified by this next sentance - I played games like Mortal Kombat and Grand Theft Auto as a child/teenager younger than I should have done and I can't say I turned out or even wanted to turn into a rebel who swears, steal cars and decapitates other people as a result of playing video games. I'm not a parent myself so my views will probably change when I I have children of my own asking to play mature games, but if you trust that your child will not be negatively influenced by these types of games you should be okay. Movies and television also influence young children and I know myself you want to watch what you shouldn't be watching, so it is a tough job to keep your children protected from bad influences.

It's an impossible situation......

fend_oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 fend_oblivion

Don't worry peeps, i haven't gone soft. My compromise was he could borrow it from his mate so i can see for myself what it has in it. The short space of time i saw it, i didn't see much to worry about. I didn't hear any swearing, not much blood but i did see the lap dancers who to me looked naked although supposedly alien. I think he'll have to borrow it again before i make my decision. It looks abit like Halo to me. I thought it has a good format. I like the fact that they can chose the story line. If only there was a tamer version that he would be satisfied with. Thanks for the link. Will look up future games that mite cause me conflict aswell as asking you very kind people for advice xvicja

Get your son Final Fantasy XIII. It's T rated, has some of the best graphics for a multiplatform game, really great production values.

King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 King9999

When your son gets to the Aria character, watch out.

caityful

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 caityful
Member since 2010 • 1210 Posts
Babying your son will get him beat up real fast. Let him play 15+ games. Man him up.
Avatar image for BattleforAzerot
BattleforAzerot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 BattleforAzerot
Member since 2007 • 149 Posts

Me in other hand wants a lot of swearing , drinking and violence.A nice action FPS based around hardcore action , free play would rock.Just to last for 200+ hours , so i can blow living **** out of a commies for next 2 months.and a lots of statistics to know exactly how many shots and hits and kills with each weapon i have made.