video games as art

• 58 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

@Pffrbt

Okay.... Let me rephrase that, since anything can be art... Can Gameplay be As Evocative as other artforms ?

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 Lulu_Lulu

@mastermetal777

Because gameplay targets the brain more than it targets the mind... The mind needs something significant and personal to be entertained, the brain just needs drugs...... Games really a whole different animal.

Avatar image for platinumking320
platinumking320

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#53  Edited By platinumking320
Member since 2003 • 668 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu: Yeah. I'll give you that.

the purpose of using mental stimulants in games is to inform or condition the player to react to stuff in the game that's meant for the brain.

I guess when we got into our cutscene arguments last year, that was the underlying point we all brushing over. Narrative's weren't being used in that limited format to inform the gameplay, they were just existing as a side movie, independent of the gameplay.

A friend of mines hatred of Bioshock Infinite, (and he adored the previous two) was that you didn't get to fight the Songbird, when an APB over all Columbia was put out on Booker, and it kept reappearing constantly. The whole experience was poorly out-of-context for him.

Whereas in Resident Evil 3: Nemesis we had to fight or escape Nemesis numerous times.

It does lead back into all the problems of the game industry with hollywood chasing. A game with a cheap horror B story, that conditions the player properly with pacing, anticipation, tension, curiosity and anxiety for later gameplay challenges is more effective than a lavish cinematized experience that does very little to inform or foreshadow, or flat out has nothing to do with the shit's creek we're going to be swimming up next.

This is how games with stories that paled in comparison to good film, ended up being profound experiences.

Hah I finally figured it out!....I knew there was more to it than us being teens in the 90's.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#54 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

I'd say the art of level design and the way the gameplay interacts with the level design speaks to this. It's the art of interacting.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

@platinumking320

I've learned to embrace Repitition, it can be abused but repitition is kinda essential to gaming, actually its essential to Learning, which is what we do in games.

GeoffZak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#56  Edited By GeoffZak
Member since 2007 • 3715 Posts

It's easy for me to say video games are art. Movies are art, paintings are art, why can't video games be?

I find it fascinating that video games have the ability to make players feel so emotionally attached, or emotionally invested in the story and characters they present.

It's a great medium for invoking human emotion because the ones playing the game are directly involved. When you read a book or watch a movie, you're simply observing events. When you're playing a game, you're taking part in those events, making it feel more personal.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Lulu_Lulu

I'm really contemplating if if pushing buttons can be an emotionally evocative experience.

And heres another thing, People are more focused on defending Video Games as art instead of Games in Generel. Seems kinda hypocritical, y'know....

Al-Manyouk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Al-Manyouk
Member since 2013 • 99 Posts

"I have no doubt that video games are art" ~Abraham Lincoln

GeoffZak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#59  Edited By GeoffZak
Member since 2007 • 3715 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu: It's not simply pushing buttons on a controller that invokes emotions, but the events that occur as a result.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Lulu_Lulu

@GeoffZak

I'm just trying to think about alil bit. Its easy to miss something obvious.