Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

Does anyone on here use something like this? I'm trying to get a handle on my collection since between movies and video games I'm currently occupying two bookshelves. I'm looking for a program that I can use a barcode scanner with to inventory both my DVD movies as well as all of my console games. A single program that does both would be preferred, but if I have to use different programs for each then that's not the end of the world. I'm just looking to create a metadata library of my inventory, so I don't need any commercial features like rental or anything like that.

Does anyone have any experience with anything like this? The best looking option I've found so far are two programs by the same company, one for video games and one for movies/tv. Collectorz.com's Cobalt Inventory programs. Again, a single program would be preferred to two but otherwise this looks good.

-Byshop

SovietsUnited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#2  Edited By SovietsUnited
Member since 2009 • 2457 Posts

Have you read about Librarian Pro 3? Keep in mind this is from a quick Google search, I am not sure if this is what you're looking for

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Byshop  Moderator

@SovietsUnited: Thanks. I took a look at that program. It seems ok, but the one problem is it doesn't appear to support any sort of autodownload of metadata based on UPC code. I need something that will work with a barcode scanner, because hand entering details on a thousand items isn't worth the time or effort.

-Byshop

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Byshop  Moderator

I ended up going with the collectors.com package. 231 games inventoried so far. http://connect.collectorz.com/users/byshop/games/view

-Byshop

SovietsUnited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#5 SovietsUnited
Member since 2009 • 2457 Posts

You can also use Darkadia as a virtual shelf, unless you want to authenticate your games somehow, which is what I presume you were going for

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Byshop  Moderator

@SovietsUnited said:

You can also use Darkadia as a virtual shelf, unless you want to authenticate your games somehow, which is what I presume you were going for

Yeah, barcode scan to metadata download is really what I was looking for. The 231 items I've done so far took less than an hour to scan, and if I were only scanning them it would have gone even faster. That's probably less than a quarter of the collection between movies and games, so I've still got a ways to go.

-Byshop