VC: Since We Know We Could Do Better.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 DarkCatalyst
Member since 2002 • 20968 Posts

Okay, I gave Nintendo a pass last week because they brought good stuff to the table, but dropping us to two games a week, apparently on the regular now, is inexcusable - especially when other regions are getting four or five at the same pace.

So I figured now would be a good time to post a "how would YOU do Virtual Console?" thread. You don't have to schedule releases through the whole year, just explain how you would right the ship.

First thing I would do personally is bump North America up to four games a week, with a set formula.

One NES game
One of TG-16/Turbo Duo/N64, use this spot to rotate SMS (500 points) in later
One of SNES/Genesis/NeoGeo
Major showcase game off of any system to highlight on the Shop Channel front page (bolded in schedule).

Here's how I'd see Virtual Console through the remainder of Q1 2008.

January 21:
Mega Man - NES
Keith Courage in Alpha Zones - TG-16
Crossed Swords - NeoGeo
Shining Force II - Genesis

January 28:
Pro Wrestling - NES
Ys Book I & II - Turbo Duo
Pilotwings - SNES
Samurai Shodown - NeoGeo

February 4:
Bases Loaded - NES
Lords of Thunder - Turbo Duo
Super Street Fighter II: The New Challengers - SNES
Super Smash Bros. - N64

February 11:
Operation Wolf - NES
Fighting Street - Turbo Duo
Harvest Moon - SNES
Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse - NES

February 18 (Hanabi Festival 2):
Shin Onigashima - NES
Chou Aniki - Turbo Duo
Puyo Puyo 2 - Genesis
Shin Megami Tensei - SNES

February 25 (Puzzle themed week):
Dr. Mario - NES
Klax - TG-16
Yoshi's Cookie - SNES
Bust-A-Move - NeoGeo

March 3:
Zoda's Revenge: StarTropics II - NES
1080 Snowboarding - N64
Killer Instinct - SNES
Phantasy Star II - Genesis

March 10 (Light-gun week, zapper required...originally to happen in Fall '07 with just NES games):
Hogan's Alley - NES
Menacer - Genesis (breaks the formula only for light-gun week)
BattleClash - SNES
Duck Hunt - NES

March 17:
Skate or Die - NES
Power Drift - Turbo Duo
Super Turrican - SNES
Mega Man 2 - NES

March 24:
Spy vs Spy - NES
Cruis'n USA - N64
Strider - Genesis
The King of Fighters '95 - NeoGeo

March 31 (Welcome Sega Master System!):
Rastan - SMS
Thunder Blade - SMS
Shinobi - SMS
Phantasy Star - SMS

Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts
My version of virtual console would have followed up on 10 years of emulator technology and included Internet multiplayer.
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#4 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts

My version of virtual console would have followed up on 10 years of emulator technology and included Internet multiplayer. Teufelhuhn

Agreed. If a bunch of guys in their basements have put together fully functional emulators over the years there is no excuse for Nintendo to be serving up such a bare bones service, especially when they're in it for profits.

Well, I suppose putting effort into emulation would cost them money, but it would be a nice gesture especially given the prices they're gouging us for.

m0zart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#5 m0zart
Member since 2003 • 11580 Posts
I know they probably think they have to slow down the pace to avoid running out of the real sellers, but I personally don't think that's necessary. They have six systems right now, and three to four a week won't leave them empty of new games to release even for several years. They should up the pace, and work to add even more systems. There are a lot of older systems thatdeserve to be in the spotlight again.
Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts
That would be a great way of doing it, but I think they really want to stretch this thing out for 3-4 years. What I always wanted was to have nearly all games available at onceand have some type of subscription service so that I get to try out all the games. I rather play monthly to have full access to all games than have to pick and choose which games I want to buy. They could still include a buy option for those games you want to own.dvader654

Indeed, I think that would be great as well. When I first heard of the service what appealed to me was the ability to choose from the huge selection of Nintendo-licensed titles, and I was quite a bit disappointed to find out that they would be releasing them at a slow trickle. A subscription would be perfect for people who want to use the service a lot, without spending a hundred bucks.
DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DarkCatalyst

That would be a great way of doing it, but I think they really want to stretch this thing out for 3-4 years.dvader654

So why couldn't they?

Even at 4-5 games a week, you could keep adding solid games steadily throughout the balance of the generation.

And when one well dries up (N64 will be first, easily), just add another system.

viewtiful26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 viewtiful26
Member since 2005 • 2842 Posts
I guess part of the problem to this is having to handle all the licensing stuff with all the third-party games. I still think they could release titles more frequently, but honestly, I can say the same thing about the Xbox Live Arcade.
erawsd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 erawsd
Member since 2002 • 6930 Posts

I'd upload the entire (legal) library of titles and Slash pirces 50-75%.

Not the best for business, but its what I'd personally like to see.

ArchonBasic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 ArchonBasic
Member since 2002 • 6420 Posts

[QUOTE="dvader654"]That would be a great way of doing it, but I think they really want to stretch this thing out for 3-4 years.DarkCatalyst

So why couldn't they?

Even at 4-5 games a week, you could keep adding solid games steadily throughout the balance of the generation.

And when one well dries up (N64 will be first, easily), just add another system.

Exactly. I really don't know what Nintendo is thinking with the recent releases. Releasing week after week of iffy titles will kill interest a lot faster than exhausting some of your heavy hitters. I say roll out a few big titles every month and push hard for more 3rd parties to get on board and for more Japanese games to be translated (one of the best uses for the VC). Saturn, DC, and GC games might even be on the table for next gen so there's really no need to drag things out this much.
mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#12 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

so you want nintendo to kis your rear,,, well quite frankly they dont have to... just as much as ms doesnt have to give us goldeneye they said theyd give us ,,,

if nintendo released every single game there wouldnt be nothing left

DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DarkCatalyst
so you want nintendo to kis your rear,,, well quite frankly they dont have to... just as much as ms doesnt have to give us goldeneye they said theyd give us ,,,

if nintendo released every single game there wouldnt be nothing leftmariokart64fan

^Proof positive that illiteracy is alive and well on the Internet.

Come back when you've read the whole thread. My idea is completely feasible, and does not amount to anyone's lips making contact with anyone's ass.

It only amounts to Nintendo doing here in North America what they're doing in Europe and Japan.