Valve the Bossless Company, probably why Half-Life Episode 3 isn't done yet.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

LoserMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 LoserMike
Member since 2003 • 4915 Posts

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303379204577474953586383604.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

Other than Gabe Newell there doesn't seem to be any bosses in the company. Basically no middle-management. Which means no Executive Producers to push a deadline.

"Valve, whose website says the company has been "boss free" since its founding in 1996, also has no managers or assigned projects. Instead, its 300 employees recruit colleagues to work on projects they think are worthwhile. The company prizes mobility so much that workers' desks are mounted on wheels, allowing them to scoot around to form work areas as they choose."

eBentl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 eBentl
Member since 2009 • 531 Posts

It my be true, but why turn away easy cash which HL3 would bring in???

roulettethedog

Because Valve have the luxury of being able to take as long with their games as they wish, and as such when/if they release Half-Life 3 it will probably be epic because they'll have taken the time to make it just the way they want it.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#4 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
Episode 3 is not being done, obviously. They are going straight to Half-Life 3. If ever.
KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
I desperately want to work there.
brucecambell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 brucecambell
Member since 2011 • 1489 Posts

Gabe is too busy eating sammiches to care about Half Life anymore.

There was a recent video of Gabe talking about the release of Half Life 3 here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoGcfTgGBYQ&feature=plcp

Lets hope this doesnt really happen.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19573 Posts
It's also partly why they're so good at what they do. No deadlines means no rushed titles, and their staff working on whatever interests them keeps morale high and the innovations constantly flowing. As for Half-Life 3, they'll release it when they're happy with it.
Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

I think it's a matter of the game not feeling right yet. I'm sure they have stuff done on it and would love to release it but it probably doesn't feel right yet or doesn't feel perfect. Valve have yet to make a bad game or a game that disappoints so they will release it when it's good and ready

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts
I blame Valve focusing on their Linux efforts at the moment that we aren't seeing any news regarding the Half-Life franchise. Gosh darn Linux.
Shiroibwoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Shiroibwoy
Member since 2005 • 199 Posts

Screw Episode 3 and Half-Life 3. Where the hell is Black Mesa: Source?

Blake135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Blake135
Member since 2008 • 3994 Posts

Gabe is too busy eating sammiches to care about Half Life anymore.

There was a recent video of Gabe talking about the release of Half Life 3 here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoGcfTgGBYQ&feature=plcp

Lets hope this doesnt really happen.

brucecambell

Come on dude you know saying a Gabe fact joke delays the game a further few weeks each time someone says one:P

starfox15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#12 starfox15
Member since 2006 • 3988 Posts

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303379204577474953586383604.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

Other than Gabe Newell there doesn't seem to be any bosses in the company. Basically no middle-management. Which means no Executive Producers to push a deadline.

"Valve, whose website says the company has been "boss free" since its founding in 1996, also has no managers or assigned projects. Instead, its 300 employees recruit colleagues to work on projects they think are worthwhile. The company prizes mobility so much that workers' desks are mounted on wheels, allowing them to scoot around to form work areas as they choose."

LoserMike

Good god, they're putting their employees above deadlines and scripted releases? The horror.

It's almost like they're working on maintaining the best downloadable game client in the world or something.

People talk like Valve owes them something. They'll release the game if and when they're ready to.

One of the contributing reasons as to why I like Valve and Steam so much is because they AVOID the things that other developers and companies must do to remain profitable. They're a private company and frankly, I appreciate their dedication to offering me a service that is cheap and effective. If that means waiting for their better IP's to come out at a later date then so be it.

iHarlequin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 iHarlequin
Member since 2011 • 1928 Posts

It's working for them.

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#14 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts

It my be true, but why turn away easy cash which HL3 would bring in???

roulettethedog
Its valve. nuff said, if they wanted to milk us, they would have dont it already a hundrend times over. better releases hl3 though. Even duke nukem forever came out.
Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts
Valve makes multi-millions each year off of Steam. They could never make a game again and they could keep everyone on payroll forever. That's why they have such hippie, "whatever man, do whatever, whenever" attitude. This would not work for a game developer that actually has to make games in order to pay its bills.
KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#16 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

I desperately want to work there.KHAndAnime
Exactly. Have you ever worked for a boss? They tend to be like a dictator and they murder any creativity and spirit. Most 'rule' by putting fear in the workers, instead of letting them use their talents and inspiring them to achieve more.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Planeforger

Valve makes multi-millions each year off of Steam. They could never make a game again and they could keep everyone on payroll forever. That's why they have such hippie, "whatever man, do whatever, whenever" attitude. This would not work for a game developer that actually has to make games in order to pay its bills.Senor_Kami

The best part is that, even with that carefree attitude, they've been releasing at least one very highly praised title (almost) every year since 2004, and a ton of free content besides all of that.

I always wonder why people think of Valve as a lazy company, when they're releasing new games/content more frequently than most developers.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#18 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
I desperately want to work there.KHAndAnime
Same. TC, why are you criticizing a business structure that works for them? Is Valve successful? Definitely. Are most people who work there happy? Most likely. I'm sure Half-Life 3 is already in the works. With next-gen coming up, don't hold your breath though. Valve doesn't just release games just to release them.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Elann2008

[QUOTE="Senor_Kami"]Valve makes multi-millions each year off of Steam. They could never make a game again and they could keep everyone on payroll forever. That's why they have such hippie, "whatever man, do whatever, whenever" attitude. This would not work for a game developer that actually has to make games in order to pay its bills.Planeforger

The best part is that, even with that carefree attitude, they've been releasing at least one very highly praised title (almost) every year since 2004, and a ton of free content besides all of that.

I always wonder why people think of Valve as a lazy company, when they're releasing new games/content more frequently than most developers.

Ignorant, dumb people. Or brainless monkeys. Take a pick.
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 dakan45
The problem is that they take forever to make games, seriously forever and they dont show anyhthing unless they are near completition, did l4d worth all the godamn time it took to develop? NOPE, 1 year later and l4d pops up. WTF? seriously wtf and a half life episode takes forever, should be hl3 by now. On top of that they refuse to get more devs and like to work with few developers wherever they hell they are in mood and all that without a boss, so yeah in conclusion they are lazy. They work wherever they feel like it.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Elann2008
[QUOTE="dakan45"]The problem is that they take forever to make games, seriously forever and they dont show anyhthing unless they are near completition, did l4d worth all the godamn time it took to develop? NOPE, 1 year later and l4d pops up. WTF? seriously wtf and a half life episode takes forever, should be hl3 by now. On top of that they refuse to get more devs and like to work with few developers wherever they hell they are in mood and all that without a boss, so yeah in conclusion they are lazy. They work wherever they feel like it.

Half-Life 2 (2004) Half-Life 2 Episode One (2006) Half-Life 2 Episode Two (2007) So it has been 5 years since the last Half-Life game. Big deal. Diablo 3 didn't come until 10 years later. Are you honestly comparing Left 4 Dead to Half-Life 2 or 3? Of course a Half-Life (3) game will require way more resources and development time, versus a L4D game that can be released annually.
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 dakan45
[QUOTE="Elann2008"][QUOTE="dakan45"]The problem is that they take forever to make games, seriously forever and they dont show anyhthing unless they are near completition, did l4d worth all the godamn time it took to develop? NOPE, 1 year later and l4d pops up. WTF? seriously wtf and a half life episode takes forever, should be hl3 by now. On top of that they refuse to get more devs and like to work with few developers wherever they hell they are in mood and all that without a boss, so yeah in conclusion they are lazy. They work wherever they feel like it.

Half-Life 2 (2004) Half-Life 2 Episode One (2006) Half-Life 2 Episode Two (2007) So it has been 5 years since the last Half-Life game. Big deal. Diablo 3 didn't come until 10 years later. Are you honestly comparing Left 4 Dead to Half-Life 2 or 3? Of course a Half-Life (3) game will require way more resources and development time, versus a L4D game that can be released annually.

They failed epiesodic gaming, any good dev could make and release games faster, yet a sequel to l4d and portal 2 came out at that time, hell even now its unclear wherever there is gonna be a sequel or another episode. They do not take more developers in, they said they dont know what to do with the game and now we learn that the company doesnt have a boss, they work wherever they feel like it. Diablo, well, its a long story, there was starcraft and then focused heavilly in wow, an ex member of blizzard which is now in flagship studios workign on torchlight 2 said that back then diablo was developed as an mmo (which is why it works as one) and then there was starcraft 2 and the expansions for wow.... yeah, kinda like valve but not quite the same.
Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts

[QUOTE="Senor_Kami"]Valve makes multi-millions each year off of Steam. They could never make a game again and they could keep everyone on payroll forever. That's why they have such hippie, "whatever man, do whatever, whenever" attitude. This would not work for a game developer that actually has to make games in order to pay its bills.Planeforger

Never said they were lazy, just aimless. Their critically acclaimed "episodic" game hasn't had an episode in multiple years. In the meantime, they made a new franchise (not new title, new franchise), and made a full retail sequel to a bonus game. Not lazy, just aimless and very much, "whatever man, do whatever, whenever."
Am_Confucius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Am_Confucius
Member since 2011 • 3229 Posts

Technology hasn't advanced enough to justify a sequel yet. And Gaben haven't yet been able to figure out who the heck G-man is.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#25 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

The problem is that they take forever to make games, seriously forever and they dont show anyhthing unless they are near completition, did l4d worth all the godamn time it took to develop? NOPE, 1 year later and l4d pops up. WTF? seriously wtf and a half life episode takes forever, should be hl3 by now. On top of that they refuse to get more devs and like to work with few developers wherever they hell they are in mood and all that without a boss, so yeah in conclusion they are lazy. They work wherever they feel like it.dakan45

I imagine Half-Life 3 is taking so long because they're making a new source engine and want that to be the showcase game. It's the only reasonable explanation.

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 dakan45

[QUOTE="dakan45"]The problem is that they take forever to make games, seriously forever and they dont show anyhthing unless they are near completition, did l4d worth all the godamn time it took to develop? NOPE, 1 year later and l4d pops up. WTF? seriously wtf and a half life episode takes forever, should be hl3 by now. On top of that they refuse to get more devs and like to work with few developers wherever they hell they are in mood and all that without a boss, so yeah in conclusion they are lazy. They work wherever they feel like it.c_rake

I imagine Half-Life 3 is taking so long because they're making a new source engine and want that to be the showcase game. It's the only reasonable explanation.

either that or they are bored, i remember hearing that they dont know wtf do do with the next hl game so they stop till they figure it out. Valve has very few emploeyes too.
Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Planeforger

[QUOTE="c_rake"]

dakan45

either that or they are bored, i remember hearing that they dont know wtf do do with the next hl game so they stop till they figure it out. Valve has very few emploeyes too.

I doubt it. This is the same team that basically spent twelve years making two games (Half-Life 1 and 2). They're a patient bunch.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#28 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

Valve has very few emploeyes too.dakan45

I thougt they had a few hundred people working for them?