Used games are a developers hell?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

kingkarl123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 kingkarl123
Member since 2011 • 192 Posts

Soo as you know, developers hate customers buying used/preowned games as they don't receive a penny form those sales. The game shops are taking the full profit for themselves. Soo as you may know this has promopted developers to change thier tactics. To stop people buying preowened games and make some money back, they have implemented online codes into new games which can only be used once. This means if you buy the game pre-owned you have to buy an online code to actually get online. which is normally priced around £7.99. This effects me as i buy most of my games from ebay and the codes have already been used. Soo if i want to play online on ertain games, i am going to have a buy a code which i do not wan too.

I was also reading an article today that Capcom are thinking about creating a save system on their new releases which only allows you to save once, ever, on that actual cartridge. So you have no choice but buy a brand new game unless you want to play from the previous owners save. This ain't good if they have finished the game right? As you can't delete the save.

Soo what im proposing is that game shops should have to give a percentage of their pre-owened sales to the developers/publishers. Say 30%. This should keep them happy as they are are getting an income from preowned games and should stop them thinking of new ways to suck more money from us.

What do you think?

morrowindnic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 morrowindnic
Member since 2004 • 1541 Posts

This system has been out on PC for a decade. Big whoop, devs are any anymore off used sales. Which they should be.

kingkarl123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 kingkarl123

Soo if it's been out on Pc for 10 years why hasn't it been transfered over to the current gen of games? Obviously game shops would fight to the death, too keep anything like this from happening

kingkarl123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 kingkarl123

no other opinions?

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

They got a percent of the game when it first came out. I do not see them getting a huge amount more even if they do get a percent of the used game sells.

Having to use the save data with the system is stupid. I lost count of the times I lost my save data. I have some times deleted my data and then come back later to start from the start.

It would also hurt renting games which I do all the time.

The whole used games thing is about getting more money using the pitty us con.

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts

The whole used games thing is about getting more money using the pitty us con.wiouds
This is the truth. Used games have always been around and only now is it killing the industry? I think not. They are trying to change people's perceptions of reality so that they can make more money, and eventually get copyright law changed to make even more money. It's the groundwork for the DMCA's little brother.

As for your suggestion, the only way that would happen would be if it was made illegal to sell used games without the publisher's permission, which is what they want and what we should resist.

JonathanL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#7 JonathanL
Member since 2002 • 22123 Posts

It doesn't bother me, really. Publishers want to carve out their profits as well as they can every time the game is bought.

fl4tlined

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 fl4tlined
Member since 2007 • 4134 Posts
my problem is when i get affected when it overflows into the rental market as i use gamefly....(its not like there losing money either i hear it takes like 500 dollars per a game to license it to be able to rent it out)
lensflare15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 lensflare15
Member since 2010 • 6652 Posts

Game shops shouldn't have to give one cent to the developers. They got their money fair and square when the used games was bought the fist time, after that it's no longer in any way theirs. As far as their attempts to keep us from buying used, I never plan on buying a game like that again (I only did once). They're taking away value from the game, so there's no way I'm paying full price for that.

MathMattS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#11 MathMattS
Member since 2009 • 4012 Posts

I was also reading an article today that Capcom are thinking about creating a save system on their new releases which only allows you to save once, ever, on that actual cartridge. So you have no choice but buy a brand new game unless you want to play from the previous owners save. This ain't good if they have finished the game right? As you can't delete the save.

kingkarl123

By "saving once," does it refer to the game only having one save file that's undeletable?

lazyathew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 lazyathew
Member since 2007 • 3748 Posts

That single, undeletable save file thing sounds terrible. I want to be able to play my games more then once!

LustForSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 LustForSoul
Member since 2011 • 6404 Posts
They are obviously affected by used games, they have to do something.
Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#14 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
Maybe they should consider lowering the cost of new games. If preowned games is hurting them so much, then obviously people can't afford to pay top dollar for every new game that comes out. Lower the cost of new games and you'll have more people buying them when they first come out.
pills4louis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 pills4louis
Member since 2011 • 1331 Posts

The concept of forwarding royalties for used games back to the developers is incredibly flawed because various sellers-- eBay, vendors at conventions, mom-n-pop game stores, etc-- likely won't conform. There really is no cost-effective way to track the sale of used games, especially if the game's been out of print for years. Moreover, if the gaming industry really wanted people to buy more new merchandise, they would lower the SRP for their wares. The music industry made significant price cuts for CDs and it helped combat piracy to an extent. With half-finished products for $60 accompanied by $30+ worth of DLC to make your game 'complete' (sometimes, said DLC is already on the disc), the thrice-damned business model for this generation goes far beyond greed itself. Publishers like Activision and Capcom are notorious for this. So, they can either lower the cost of their games, make more complete products, or just deal with people buying their products used. The latter of which is something which anyone who has a problem with used game sales should do as well. Sorry to say, but in today's world of $50-60 non-refundable letdowns, some devs/publishers deserve to lose sales. The standards for what counts as a passable game in the eyes of the general populace have sunk so abysmally low that it's disgusting to think about.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44219 Posts
I see used games as a double-edged sword. On the one-hand they can be beneficial as people who trade-in games are usually doing it to get new games. So in a sense if someone trades in game X for new game Y then whoever comes in later and picks up used game X they are contributing money to the previous person's new game Y with the vendor being the intermediary. However I can see that from the developer's perspective that it can be quite frustrating to see a consumer opt to get a used copy of a game when typically for only $5 more they could have just picked up a new copy where they will actually get some money out of it.
Samslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#17 Samslayer
Member since 2005 • 1852 Posts

If used games went away, this would also prompt the developers/publishers to keep the games at their original price for longer. Something I definitely wouldn't like.

I generally will wait until price drops happen before I purchase new. With extended full-price timeframes, this would really hurt me as a gamer. However, I can't blame the publishers for trying to max out their profits, I would do the same thing!

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Archangel3371

If used games went away, this would also prompt the developers/publishers to keep the games at their original price for longer. Something I definitely wouldn't like.

I generally will wait until price drops happen before I purchase new. With extended full-price timeframes, this would really hurt me as a gamer. However, I can't blame the publishers for trying to max out their profits, I would do the same thing!

Samslayer
I don't think this has an impact on price drops for new games. If the games aren't selling then the price drops irregardless of the used game market.
ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ZombieKiller7
Member since 2011 • 6463 Posts

There is a big difference between :

1. We have to do something, used games are killing us

or

2. We are doing ok, but we would like to make an extra 20 million

Money is good to have but not at the expense of consumer rights and convenience.

Part of the allure of console gaming is that if I didn't like a game, I can sell it.

So now I am forced to pay full price for something, even if I played it a few hours and hated it.

This goes against my interests, therefor I am against it, and will penalize developers by voting with my wallet.

In the end, developers will have to tread very carefully.

If you think I'm paying $60 for a game I can't resell, you better think again.

The more you companies act like jerks, the more I become a jerk and a tightwad.

If you want my money you have to bend to my lifestyle and my thinking.

You don't have to bullwhip us to give you money.

I give money to plenty of companies, out of loyalty and respect.

These companies typically earn my loyalty and respect by serving THE CUSTOMER FIRST, before themselves.

I can easily afford to spend $100 on DLC's, merch, etc, but I usually don't because you people try to FORCE me.

Companies like Valve and CCP, I will be forever loyal to and buy their stuff, because they don't try to milk me and they serve their customers first.

Companies like EA, Activision, etc. I buy stuff from these companies because I have no choice.

I will always look for ways to screw them out of money, because they look for ways to milk me.

You get more bees with honey than vinegar.

Samslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#20 Samslayer
Member since 2005 • 1852 Posts

[QUOTE="Samslayer"]

Archangel3371

I don't think this has an impact on price drops for new games. If the games aren't selling then the price drops irregardless of the used game market.

I'm not saying that we wouldn't see price drops those are inevitable, I'm simply saying it would delay the price drops.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Archangel3371

[QUOTE="Archangel3371"][QUOTE="Samslayer"]

Samslayer

I'm not saying that we wouldn't see price drops those are inevitable, I'm simply saying it would delay the price drops.

How would it delay price drops on new games? Either they sell at their current price point or they don't.
Xeogua

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Xeogua
Member since 2010 • 1542 Posts

They're still letting us save money, if you buy used then buy the code, a lot of times you're still saving money over buying new if the game has been out for a while.

lazyathew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 lazyathew
Member since 2007 • 3748 Posts

[QUOTE="Samslayer"]

[QUOTE="Archangel3371"]I don't think this has an impact on price drops for new games. If the games aren't selling then the price drops irregardless of the used game market.Archangel3371

How would it delay price drops on new games? Either they sell at their current price point or they don't.

If their stategy works, and more people buy games new, then it will take longer for the new games to drop in price.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
To be honest I think it's just silly, you don't hear companies such as Volvo, Mitsubishi, Panasonic etc. complain when people buy used cars or used furniture.
mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#25 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

no piracy is a developers hell

Devouring_One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#26 Devouring_One
Member since 2004 • 32312 Posts
yeah, next thing you know, they'll put a limit on how many tmes you can play through your games. after one playthrough, the game gets locked
James161324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 James161324
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

It is just as big as deal as piracy. To the devs a person who buys a game used is no different than a pirate

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#28 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
I have no sympathy for developers who cry foul over a used game market, because every other industry has to deal with a used market. Game developers are no better than anyone else.
JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#29 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
They are obviously affected by used games, they have to do something.LustForSoul
Make better games? :?
Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts

To be honest I think it's just silly, you don't hear companies such as Volvo, Mitsubishi, Panasonic etc. complain when people buy used cars or used furniture.Treflis

You definitely have a point, but the situation certainly isn't exactly the same for those industries. A used car instantly loses at least 1/3 of its value the instant it rolls off a lot. People aren't nearly as keen on buying a couch someone else has laid on and sat on and potentially done...other things on. But a used video game (except in the cases of games with online pass) comes with the same exact content you get if you bought it new. Which is why GameStop can sell a used game for $55 when it costs $60 new. Plus it's way way way easier to sell back a used game then it is to sell back a used car or used furniture.

Not that I think that people should just have their rights to DMCA's away by the government or publishers, just pointing out some of the ways in which the games industry (and other industries that use digital media) are somewhat special.

pills4louis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 pills4louis
Member since 2011 • 1331 Posts

Companies like EA, Activision, etc. I buy stuff from these companies because I have no choice.

ZombieKiller7

...I know the obvious correction to this statement is something which can't be discussed on these forums, but let me assure you that you're very, very wrong about that.

LongZhiZi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 LongZhiZi
Member since 2009 • 2453 Posts

[QUOTE="Treflis"]To be honest I think it's just silly, you don't hear companies such as Volvo, Mitsubishi, Panasonic etc. complain when people buy used cars or used furniture.Teufelhuhn

You definitely have a point, but the situation certainly isn't exactly the same for those industries. A used car instantly loses at least 1/3 of its value the instant it rolls off a lot.

And the same applies to the gaming industry.

Gamestop buys the game back from you for (I don't know exactly) $30 and then sells it again at $55. So your game's value halved as soon as you opened it.

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts

[QUOTE="Teufelhuhn"]

[QUOTE="Treflis"]To be honest I think it's just silly, you don't hear companies such as Volvo, Mitsubishi, Panasonic etc. complain when people buy used cars or used furniture.LongZhiZi

You definitely have a point, but the situation certainly isn't exactly the same for those industries. A used car instantly loses at least 1/3 of its value the instant it rolls off a lot.

And the same applies to the gaming industry.

Gamestop buys the game back from you for (I don't know exactly) $30 and then sells it again at $55. So your game's value halved as soon as you opened it.

Gamestop has already opened the game for you, even if new.

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 WhiteKnight77

It's not that the developers are trying to make more from gamers, but the fact that used game sales are larger than new game sales. Gamestop released it's earnings statements showing that:

Used game products accounted for 21.8% of total net sales and 44.2% of gross profit.Gamestop Records Record Earnings

. That is almost half of their total earnings with the rest split between hardware, new software and accessories sales.

As noted earlier, Gamestop buys your games from you cheap and sells them back at $5 less than a new game and I have seen them offer the used game over the new game to customers, especially unknowing parents. This is where publishers and developers have a problem. When the sale of new games drops with a rise of used game sales making record earnings, the publishers get upset and with good reason.

I don't know how many of you have ever spoke with a developer (I have interviewed both Bo Andersson of GRIN and John Sonedecker formely of RSE, now CEO of Blackfoot Studios), but they will tell you that is their biggest gripe about used game sales is the fact that stores push used game sales over new game sales.

Now as to why publishers charge $60 for games that are unfinished, you have no one to blame but yourselves as you keep buying them. Also remember that they are trying to recoup the extra charge due to royalties to publish games for consoles. Red Orchestra 2 is going to be sold for $40 on the PC. No royalties involved compared to MS, Sony and Nintendo wanting $10 per unit in order to allow the right to have said game on each console (in the case of multiplats it becomes expensive). Now this isn't a console vs. PC war at all, just a cold hard fact.

Gamers have no one to blame but themselves for how publishers do business as they are the ones that buy the games. If you do not a DLC model for extra content, stop buying the games that offer it. Once such games stop selling, they will drop said business model, but right now, y'all make it profitable. If you do not to pay extra for the ability to play a game online. I have seen where publishers charge $10 to get an online code costing you an extra $5 over the original price of new so how does that become cheaper buying a used game?

GameStop Reports Record Fiscal Year is the source for the above quote. Gamestop posted a record $9.74 billion in profit last fiscal year. 44% of that is about $4 billion (my math isn't accurate as I did it in my head, but you should get the point). I can see why publishers and developers are not happy.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

The developers seam to believe that each used game bought is one less $60 sale. The people that buy games used are not willing to pay full price if they must then they can wait until the price is $30 or even $20.

demonic_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#36 demonic_85
Member since 2009 • 1395 Posts

It's simple, if you dont agree with their policies dont buy their games. I dont buy games from Ubisoft because most of them require a constant internet connection to play which is fine but what about when the internet cuts out? What if i'm not connected to the internet at all? Yeah no thanks. I dont mind DRM so long as it doesnt interfere with my ability to play the game. Limiting one save to a game does just that cause maybe I want to start over, well too bad.

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 WhiteKnight77

It's simple, if you dont agree with their policies dont buy their games. I dont buy games from Ubisoft because most of them require a constant internet connection to play which is fine but what about when the internet cuts out? What if i'm not connected to the internet at all? Yeah no thanks. I dont mind DRM so long as it doesnt interfere with my ability to play the game. Limiting one save to a game does just that cause maybe I want to start over, well too bad.

demonic_85

I stopped buying games published by Ubi years ago with 2 minor exceptions. I would buy Cliffs of Dover if Ubi didn't publish it. Damn you Oleg. I quite buying Ubi games due to the fact that the games that I liked are no longer the defining games that they once were that won GOTY awards. I didn't like the new Ubi OSP either and would not have bought any games that featured it and Ubi finally got smart a year later after profits went down because of it along with the flak they got from gamers (me included) over it. Earlier this year, they changed the OSP to only check when the game starts up and you do not need to be connected 24/7 anymore.

I cannot find the articles that stated such, but I remember reading it. Still, ask around other forums or fansites about games you are interested in to see if they still need a 24/7 connection.

Id13h4rdI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Id13h4rdI
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
This is a dying argument, media is shifting from hard copies to digital copies. I wouldn't be surprised if within the next decade video games follow the trend of other media and become available only on demand. Buying used games does take funds from the pockets of developers, there is no denying that fact. Why is it fair that Gamestop can make money multiple times from the sale of the same disc while the developers only see profits from the original transaction? By taking money from developers we are only hindering the growth of the gaming industry, by limiting the funds they have available to spend on creating new IP's, investing in dedicated servers, and otherwise helping to grow their company. If the difference of 15 bucks makes the difference between you being able to purchase a game, well to be honest you have bigger problems then being able to purchase a video game.
KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
Developers are whiners. Everything has a used-market. There's no reason why games should be an exception. I'm not going to back publishing/developing greed. I don't care for super-high budget games with super high budget marketing campaigns. They should try to be more efficient with their money.
hadoken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 hadoken
Member since 2003 • 2730 Posts
they do it because they know that the mindless sheep will buy it anyway no matter what
QuistisTrepe_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 QuistisTrepe_
Member since 2010 • 4121 Posts

Yes well, unfortunately for the developers we have this thing called the Doctrine of First Sale. They don't have any more of a right to keep cashing in on a sold product than any content provider of any other industry. This claim about used games hurting developers is a load of bunk. That's like saying that public libraries are killing off the book publishing industry. Claiming something like that would get you laughed out of the room, but for some reason people have this irrational belief that secondhand games (which have been traded and sold for three decades) is killing off a $20 billion a year industry that will only grow larger.

Sorry, I'm afraid I just don't see it. If a developer wants my $60 on day one, EARN IT. (hint: increased DRM and over reliance on DLC as a revenue stream isn't the way to do it)

QuistisTrepe_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 QuistisTrepe_
Member since 2010 • 4121 Posts

no piracy is a developers hell

mariokart64fan

Actually piracy in many ways helps a developer, it's free advertising.

mooooo99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#43 mooooo99
Member since 2008 • 1252 Posts

i dont like buying used games as it feels like wearing someone elses underpants. (i think there was a story on gamespot about this recently) well that and the fact that the last time i was in a game shop (blockbuster games uk) all new games were at full rrp and the used games were slightly cheaper, only sliightly.

the last time i bought a game on release day was ffxiii. i recently picked up bfbc2 for £15, portal 2 £20, enslaved £12. all new from amazon. now why would i buy a used game for probably the same price or more? all you need to do is wait a few months and games drop in price. i know its hard as we all want everything straight away, but be patient if you cant afford it straight away. then maybe there wouldnt have been all this drm and online pass. still it doesnt help that these stores promote their trade in discounts when ever a new game is announced. it seems that it is their only business now.

which is a shame, i like videogame stores, but their prices are ridiculous

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

The way I see it, it is not exactly the used games salws that are the problem, it is the outlets that has rebuilt thier buisness practices around used games sales, (Im looking at you gamestop).

If it was just some people buying used games from eachother, I do not think it would be a proble, there would be fewer used games bought or sold in general.

We do however have this huge retail chain, whose buisness practice is to resell games rather then sell new games to people, I do feel somewhat sick when I 9/10 times hear the store clercs push used games rather then new versions, and lets be honest, those used games are almost as expencive as thier new ones.

So, To summerise, I have no problem with used games, if it is from private person to private person, or speciality stores who sells old consoles and the games for said old consoles.

It is just a really bad sign of bad health when what is likely the biggest gaming store chain, undermines the health of the industry all on its own, as a specific goal to maximize thier profits, at the cost of the health of the industry.

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 WhiteKnight77

The way I see it, it is not exactly the used games salws that are the problem, it is the outlets that has rebuilt thier buisness practices around used games sales, (Im looking at you gamestop).

If it was just some people buying used games from eachother, I do not think it would be a proble, there would be fewer used games bought or sold in general.

We do however have this huge retail chain, whose buisness practice is to resell games rather then sell new games to people, I do feel somewhat sick when I 9/10 times hear the store clercs push used games rather then new versions, and lets be honest, those used games are almost as expencive as thier new ones.

So, To summerise, I have no problem with used games, if it is from private person to private person, or speciality stores who sells old consoles and the games for said old consoles.

It is just a really bad sign of bad health when what is likely the biggest gaming store chain, undermines the health of the industry all on its own, as a specific goal to maximize thier profits, at the cost of the health of the industry.

Maddie_Larkin

See my above post as to how much profit they rake in.

Avatar image for just_nonplussed
just_nonplussed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#46 just_nonplussed
Member since 2006 • 4130 Posts

i think used games should be a reality because consumers should have choice, and be able to trade their product that they bought. also, we can spend all day moaning about how it may harm game development/reduce profits for publishers, but when PSP GO came out with a digital only service, gamers clearly said "No thank you". This was a smart move because Sony was charging way too much for digital copies. So at either end of the spectrum you are going to find greed.