TWO more consoles to be added to the Virtual Console ? ! ?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Phantom_Leo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 Phantom_Leo
Member since 2002 • 7090 Posts

Breaking news here!

Wow! I wasn't really expecting to hear news like that now!

What do you think they will be? Kotaku is speculating Sega Master System...

I would think Saturn is a sure bet too...

What do you think? What do you want? What would make you really, really happy?

Iga_Bobovic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Iga_Bobovic
Member since 2007 • 518 Posts

Phantom_Leo

I think that wii need more memory! I would love to play Fighters Megamix and Powerstone again, so Saturn and Dreamcast would be nice!

RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 RK-Mara
Member since 2006 • 11489 Posts
[QUOTE="Phantom_Leo"]

Iga_Bobovic

I think that wii need more memory! I would love to play Fighters Megamix and Powerstone again, so Saturn and Dreamcast would be nice!

Dreamcast would be absolutely awesome, but would it be possible with Wii's flash memory?

Anabub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Anabub
Member since 2006 • 8316 Posts
The DC would be like a dream come true ... but I have to mirror everyone elses concerns over the whole mem issue ....
selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 selbie
Member since 2004 • 13295 Posts
Oh god yes. Master System....mmmmmm
Robio_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#6 Robio_basic
Member since 2002 • 7059 Posts

I think the Master System is a given. That's a good thing too because I need my Fantasy Zone. As far as a second console that's a tough call. The Saturn is notoriously difficult to emulate, so that's a strike against it. Then again, they have had over a year to work on it, so I suppose it's possible. If Capcom doesn't support it with it's 2-D fighters though I don't foresee having much interest in it outside of Panzer Dragoon and Dragon Force (but those 2 games are more than enough reason). Dreamcast would be cool too, but practically all the good Dreamcast games that could show up on the VC were already released on the Cube and PS2.

I suspect we'll see a GBA channel so that we can play GB, GBC, GBA games. That and a Saturn category would be awesome and make the most sense I think.

Algus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#7 Algus
Member since 2004 • 354 Posts

I might expect to see something from Atari, depending on how far back they want to go. The 2600 is more then HELLA OLD SCHOOL its like prehistoric, but it had a pretty popular following.

I ~HIGHLY~ doubt the Dreamcast is in. SMS is a very good guess. Fine by me, I hope they put out both the SMS Sonic games, those games are both awesome.

Beyond the emulation problems Robio_basic pointed out, I'd wonder about the file size of Saturn games - is the average Saturn game too big for there to be space? I know that my Wii's internal memory is already filled. If I add very many more games I'm going to have to start moving stuff I'm not using to my SD card. Now if they were able to pull it off, I'd be in love. I could go for some NiGHTS 1.

Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Skylock00
Member since 2002 • 20069 Posts

One is probably the Master System, the other is probably the MSX computer, given that there was word in the past that the MSX was going to be part of the Virtual Console, IIRC.

At least, that's my thought.

KingKoop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 KingKoop
Member since 2005 • 4268 Posts
The DC & Saturn would be really awesome, but I doubt the DC will show up probably the Master System & Saturn? Maybe something a bit more retro perhaps?
EmilioDigsIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 EmilioDigsIt
Member since 2005 • 4391 Posts
MSX, Master System, Commodore64?

EDIT

Remember those rumors on GameBoy downloads?
princesszelda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#11 princesszelda
Member since 2003 • 6869 Posts

I hoping that one of them is the Dreamcast. There are a couple of games that I have wanted to play for a while now but I just don't want to buy a system.

I'm crossing my fingers on this one.

EmilioDigsIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 EmilioDigsIt

I hoping that one of them is the Dreamcast. There are a couple of games that I have wanted to play for a while now but I just don't want to buy a system.

I'm crossing my fingers on this one.

princesszelda

That'd be impossible, though. Just buy a dreamcast off ebay, like I did. :)
nopalversion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 nopalversion
Member since 2005 • 4757 Posts
I'm not sure the Wii could emulate the Saturn in software, let alone the Dreamcast. The Master system is a sure bet, IMO. Gameboy sounds like a good bet, and so does the Atari 2600.
Ravenprose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Ravenprose
Member since 2007 • 418 Posts
I vote for Sega Master System and Virtual Boy! Then again, it could be the Sega 32X and Sega CD! Or Gameboy and Atari Lynx! Or Atari 2600 and Colecovision! Wow, there's way too many posibilities! :)
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#15 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Sweet. The Dreamcast would be most likely impossible, as most of those games have data over that of 512MB.
EmilioDigsIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 EmilioDigsIt
I vote for Sega Master System and Virtual Boy! Then again, it could be the Sega 32X and Sega CD! Or Gameboy and Atari Lynx! Or Atari 2600 and Colecovision! Wow, there's way too many posibilities! :)Ravenprose

See, I was also thinking stuff like 32X and Sega CD, but there is Turbo-Grafx and Turbo-Grafx CD in the same area. 2600 and Cocecovision would be cool, but they'd have to be priced at 50 points or something.
Phantom_Leo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 Phantom_Leo
Member since 2002 • 7090 Posts

I vote for Sega Master System and Virtual Boy! Then again, it could be the Sega 32X and Sega CD! Or Gameboy and Atari Lynx! Or Atari 2600 and Colecovision! Wow, there's way too many posibilities! :)Ravenprose

I was just about to say I was surprised no one mentioned it yet. Besides the Master System, it would be the easiest and most feasible to add due to Genesis Compatibilty already on the VC.

King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#18 King9999
Member since 2002 • 11837 Posts
My guess is Sega Master System and Game Boy/GBC.
JGonspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 JGonspy
Member since 2003 • 581 Posts
Why is no one guessing Virtual Boy?
EmilioDigsIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 EmilioDigsIt
Cos that'd require special 3D goggles for the full experience?
Grieverr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Grieverr
Member since 2002 • 2835 Posts

+1 for the Master System and 32x or SegaCD.

I believe those would be the easiest to emulate, plus Sega can probably use the money they'd get from Nintendo.

The Saturn would probably be pretty difficult to emulate and anything Dreamcast and higher, I think, would be to new for the VC. Not to mention DC disks were over 1GB in size. So I don't see anything that recent on the VC.

OneWingedAngeI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 OneWingedAngeI
Member since 2003 • 9448 Posts
its gotta be the gameboy/gbc as one of them. the rest is up in the air but i dont think it will be anything that was disc based. the atari and 32x (god what a waste..) seem plausible but something like the commodore or colecovision would be pretty cool.
Fortier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Fortier
Member since 2004 • 7728 Posts
Perhaps Gameboy and GBC?
Grieverr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Grieverr
Member since 2002 • 2835 Posts

but i dont think it will be anything that was disc based. OneWingedAngeI

They do have the Turbografx CD, which is why I think another 16-bit disc system is possible. I dont think too many of them hit the 500 Meg mark, excecpt maybe that legion of FMV games.

The Commodore would be cool.

Travo_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Travo_basic
Member since 2003 • 38751 Posts
I think the Master System would be an easy choice and then Saturn (NiGHTs, anyone?)
Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44183 Posts
I would love for it to be the Saturn and the Dreamcast but like others have said I really doubt it especially in the case of the DC being one of them.
Avatar image for deactivated-5967f36c08c33
deactivated-5967f36c08c33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-5967f36c08c33
Member since 2006 • 15614 Posts

I'd be awesome if they could get Dreamcast games on the Virtual Console,but unless Nintendo releases a hard drive,we're going to need a lot of SD cards.>_>

Travo_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Travo_basic
Member since 2003 • 38751 Posts

Nintendo is setting the Wii up to be the Mecca of old school gaming. What hardcore gamer could resist?

RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#29 RK-Mara
Member since 2006 • 11489 Posts

Nintendo is setting the Wii up to be the Mecca of old school gaming. What hardcore gamer could resist?

Travo_basic

Graphic whores.

Avatar image for Video_Game_King
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#30 Video_Game_King
Member since 2003 • 27545 Posts
Come on Saturn! I want my NiGHTS! I want my Sonix Xtreme!....*realizes how odd Saturn hardware was* Has anyone emulated that console with any success?
Kreatzion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Kreatzion
Member since 2003 • 6468 Posts
Please, oh please, be the Saturn. I want to play Virtua Cop and Daytona USA.
armouredpriest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 armouredpriest
Member since 2004 • 471 Posts

Come on Saturn! I want my NiGHTS! I want my Sonix Xtreme!....*realizes how odd Saturn hardware was* Has anyone emulated that console with any success?Video_Game_King

Somewhat...has nowhere near the compatablitiy that other emulators of systems from that generation have. I recall reading a report that Nintendo and Sega has a third party working on the framework for Saturn games, but I wouldn't count on it yet (as much as I'd like to see it myself).

I'd agree with the sentiment that the Master System is likely (original Phantasy Star anyone?). Really, I'm forced to echo Slylock's sentiment that it'll probably be the MSX considering the last report I'd read mentioned it was one of the VC emulators that was further along.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b7eeba71ed1e
deactivated-5b7eeba71ed1e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-5b7eeba71ed1e
Member since 2005 • 7040 Posts

If Nintendo would stop being lame and just release an update that allows the Wii to actually use its SD MEMORY CARDS to save downloadable games, as well as letting you do direct game saves right to the cards like you should be able to do, there would not be a problem.

Dreamcast could be added easily. For $40 you can buy 2 SD cards and have 4GBs of memory at your mercy.

Avatar image for Video_Game_King
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#34 Video_Game_King
Member since 2003 • 27545 Posts

[QUOTE="Video_Game_King"]Come on Saturn! I want my NiGHTS! I want my Sonix Xtreme!....*realizes how odd Saturn hardware was* Has anyone emulated that console with any success?armouredpriest

Somewhat...has nowhere near the compatablitiy that other emulators of systems from that generation have. I recall reading a report that Nintendo and Sega has a third party working on the framework for Saturn games, but I wouldn't count on it yet (as much as I'd like to see it myself).

I'd agree with the sentiment that the Master System is likely (original Phantasy Star anyone?). Really, I'm forced to echo Slylock's sentiment that it'll probably be the MSX considering the last report I'd read mentioned it was one of the VC emulators that was further along.

Wasn't the MSX a computer? That'd lead to a keyboard peripheral.

Avatar image for deactivated-586249e1b64ba
deactivated-586249e1b64ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-586249e1b64ba
Member since 2004 • 7629 Posts

If Nintendo would stop being lame and just release an update that allows the Wii to actually use its SD MEMORY CARDS to save downloadable games, as well as letting you do direct game saves right to the cards like you should be able to do, there would not be a problem.

Dreamcast could be added easily. For $40 you can buy 2 SD cards and have 4GBs of memory at your mercy.

EdgecrusherAza

Nintendo's a bit of a security freak. Saving entire games onto a removable storage device that could easily then be distributed to everyone isn't something they'd like.

DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 DarkCatalyst
Member since 2002 • 20968 Posts

It's MSX (which was the first system ever confirmed for VC after the original five) and Sega Master System. I'd be shocked if we ever got a passing glance at the MSX material over here, though.

Sega CD might be coming sooner or later, as its games likely compress about as well as Turbo Duo titles. I wouldn't put my hopes on Saturn or Dreamcast until some sort of hard drive is available. Saturn was around the time developers really started squeezing what they could out of disc space.

DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 DarkCatalyst
[QUOTE="EdgecrusherAza"]If Nintendo would stop being lame and just release an update that allows the Wii to actually use its SD MEMORY CARDS to save downloadable games, as well as letting you do direct game saves right to the cards like you should be able to do, there would not be a problem.

Dreamcast could be added easily. For $40 you can buy 2 SD cards and have 4GBs of memory at your mercy.Technoweirdo

Nintendo's a bit of a security freak. Saving entire games onto a removable storage device that could easily then be distributed to everyone isn't something they'd like.

Just to get everyone on the same page, the problem isn't getting the games on the SD cards, it's playing them from there.

Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Skylock00
Member since 2002 • 20069 Posts

Just to get everyone on the same page, the problem isn't getting the games on the SD cards, it's playing them from there.

DarkCatalyst

Quite, though Nintendo's excuse for why they don't allow it seems to stem from the transfer rates of SD cards, claiming that it's not fast enough to allow for games to be played from SD cards.

USB 2.0 would be fast enough if they used those ports for something like a portable hard drive or something, I'd suspect, but we'll see what happens.

DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 DarkCatalyst
[QUOTE="DarkCatalyst"]Just to get everyone on the same page, the problem isn't getting the games on the SD cards, it's playing them from there.

Skylock00

Quite, though Nintendo's excuse for why they don't allow it seems to stem from the transfer rates of SD cards, claiming that it's not fast enough to allow for games to be played from SD cards.

USB 2.0 would be fast enough if they used those ports for something like a portable hard drive or something, I'd suspect, but we'll see what happens.

It'd have to come to that. Either they can use a USB hard drive to run the games, or draw the line at systems like the Saturn.

Spirit_of_87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Spirit_of_87
Member since 2003 • 2423 Posts
I hope it's the Sega Saturn, that way I can read more post's that whine about too many shmups on the VC:twisted:
An-Archist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 An-Archist
Member since 2007 • 298 Posts

Ewwwww more disgusting fighting games:'(.

Why can't there just be Mortal Kombat!

DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 DarkCatalyst

Why can't there just be Mortal Kombat!An-Archist

Because in 15 years, Mortal Kombat still hasn't proven a thing?

King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#43 King9999
Member since 2002 • 11837 Posts

An-Archist
...This post makes me sad. :( What kinds of games are on the MSX? I only know of Konami's games (Castlevania and Metal Gear).
DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 DarkCatalyst
[QUOTE="An-Archist"]

King9999

...This post makes me sad. :( What kinds of games are on the MSX? I only know of Konami's games (Castlevania and Metal Gear).

That's sort of how it goes. The MSX was the closest thing we'll ever get to a first-party Konami system.

Aleste and Eggy are the confirmed MSX VC titles I'm aware of, for what it's worth.

Brain3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Brain3000
Member since 2003 • 2857 Posts

I hope it's the Sega Saturn, that way I can read more post's that whine about too many shmups on the VC:twisted:Spirit_of_87
Too many shmups on the VC?

Who spouts such madness?

HiResDes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 HiResDes
Member since 2004 • 5919 Posts

Sweet. The Dreamcast would be most likely impossible, as most of those games have data over that of 512MB.foxhound_fox

Yeah the Dreamcast actually used 1GB compact discs.

bugsonglass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 bugsonglass
Member since 2004 • 5536 Posts

I hope it's the Sega Saturn, that way I can read more post's that whine about too many shmups on the VC:twisted:Spirit_of_87

Agreed. And also, even though very slim, it seems the only chance i'll ever have of playing Radiant Silvergun. (I know you said it's over rated but as a shmup gamer it's like a holy grail to me).

nopalversion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 nopalversion
Member since 2005 • 4757 Posts

It's MSX (which was the first system ever confirmed for VC after the original five) and Sega Master System. I'd be shocked if we ever got a passing glance at the MSX material over here, though.

Sega CD might be coming sooner or later, as its games likely compress about as well as Turbo Duo titles. I wouldn't put my hopes on Saturn or Dreamcast until some sort of hard drive is available. Saturn was around the time developers really started squeezing what they could out of disc space.

DarkCatalyst

The original Metal Gear could get a release.