Tomb Raider Graphics

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ish_gibbor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

User Lists: 0

#1 ish_gibbor
Member since 2004 • 1717 Posts

Tomb Raider Anniversary's graphics are not much better than Ninja Gaiden on the xbox. A 360 game should look better than this. It is a fun game so far but not sure why they skimped out on graphics for the 360.

Alter_Echo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Alter_Echo
Member since 2003 • 10724 Posts
Its a multi system port. The graphics are only going to be as good as the weakest system ( that it was released on ) can handle.
MLBknights58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 MLBknights58
Member since 2006 • 5016 Posts

Its a multi system port. The graphics are only going to be as good as the weakest system ( that it was released on ) can handle. Alter_Echo

Exactly, but i did like Vampire the Masquerade.

VMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#4 VMan
Member since 2003 • 4940 Posts

The reason why Anniversary wasn't developed initially for the Xbox 360 was because it would take too much time upgrading all the visual assets to current gen standards, time that could've been better spent on other projects (such as the next Tomb Raider game). Its my guess that Eidos/SCI really wanted an Xbox 360 port and so one was made with an apparently half-***ed effort on the visuals.

Take it for what it is. Like has been said, its a slightly upgraded port of a game developed for 7-year-old hardware that Crystal Dynamics really didn't want to bother with in the first place but was probably forced to by the bill-payers..

gamingqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#5 gamingqueen
Member since 2004 • 31076 Posts
Even though it's CD's only trick to make it look like they did a better job with TR than Core :roll: Their base for making a tomb raider game is playstation 2 and not 3 nor xbox 360!
ish_gibbor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ish_gibbor

I hope to see one build for this gen consoles with up-to-date graphics and physics. I love tomb raider. They should take some cues from Uncharted though for action. Need more cool fun fighting.

VMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 VMan

I hope to see one build for this gen consoles with up-to-date graphics and physics. I love tomb raider. They should take some cues from Uncharted though for action. Need more cool fun fighting.

ish_gibbor

I think its important to (while acknowledging its an action/adventure series) not forget Tomb Raider's emphasis on exploration. Thats the way Core Design built it and thats how it became popular. The action aspect of it is important, but I think it should take a backseat to exotic exploration. I think Tomb Raider Legend's ratio was just right.

ish_gibbor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ish_gibbor

Yes but it is an old series I think they should spark life into by changing more things up. Legend did a good job at adding new ideas, but it was mainly the rope, and there was a decent amount of action as well. What I would like to see however is more adventure aspects.

Talking to characters for isntance, which people think of as RPG. It would be cool if that was part of the exploration. Talking to islanders to find clues about where the temple is for instance, or where your artifact is. Adding elements of gameplay from the games Dreamfall: the Longest Journay and Indigo Prophecy.

I have been a Tomb Raider fan from day one and have played every game.

Poshkidney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 Poshkidney
Member since 2006 • 3803 Posts

I think it looks better legend i think.

It looks good enogh meybe its just you or its not the 360 shots could be the less powerful consoles Wii or PS2.

gamingqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 gamingqueen

Yes but it is an old series I think they should spark life into by changing more things up. Legend did a good job at adding new ideas, but it was mainly the rope, and there was a decent amount of action as well. What I would like to see however is more adventure aspects.

Talking to characters for isntance, which people think of as RPG. It would be cool if that was part of the exploration. Talking to islanders to find clues about where the temple is for instance, or where your artifact is. Adding elements of gameplay from the games Dreamfall: the Longest Journay and Indigo Prophecy.

ish_gibbor

That was in AOD

No you haven't... clearly. Nothing annoys me more than people claiming that they played games when they haven't :(

Legend added nothing... you guys need to play the first four games. The older TR games were rich in comparison with CD TR games which are extremely linear, void and short.

ish_gibbor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ish_gibbor
[QUOTE="ish_gibbor"]

gamingqueen

That was in AOD

No you haven't... clearly. Nothing annoys me more than people claiming that they played games when they haven't :(

Legend added nothing... you guys need to play the first four games. The older TR games were rich in comparison with CD TR games which are extremely linear, void and short.

It has been a while since I have played Angel of Darkness, so I cannot remember if it used the rope in the same way legend did. For swinging, pulling objects, and that you can climb up and down it. But to call me a liar is rather low. I have no reason to lie I have played every Tomb Raider game that came out on consoles. If there are secret Tomb Raider games I never heard about well I never played those, but the ones that came out on consoles I have played. I even tried one on PC but I can't dig an adventure with a keyboard.

ish_gibbor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ish_gibbor
[QUOTE="ish_gibbor"]

gamingqueen

That was in AOD

Oh yeah and I beat every one of them as well. I just completed Anniversary. I think legend was better.

VMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 VMan
[QUOTE="gamingqueen"][QUOTE="ish_gibbor"]

ish_gibbor

That was in AOD

It has been a while since I have played Angel of Darkness, so I cannot remember if it used the rope in the same way legend did. For swinging, pulling objects, and that you can climb up and down it. But to call me a liar is rather low. I have no reason to lie I have played every Tomb Raider game that came out on consoles. If there are secret Tomb Raider games I never heard about well I never played those, but the ones that came out on consoles I have played. I even tried one on PC but I can't dig an adventure with a keyboard.

He was referring to NPC interaction with The Angel of Darkness, something I was going to point out myself.

gamingqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 gamingqueen
[QUOTE="gamingqueen"][QUOTE="ish_gibbor"]

ish_gibbor

That was in AOD

Oh yeah and I beat every one of them as well. I just completed Anniversary. I think legend was better.

Yeah right.... and legend is better than anniversary? :P alright then I'd rather discuss games with people who actually play them! See ya!

Gen-Gawl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#15 Gen-Gawl
Member since 2004 • 3925 Posts

[QUOTE="Alter_Echo"]Its a multi system port. The graphics are only going to be as good as the weakest system ( that it was released on ) can handle. MLBknights58

Exactly, but i did like Vampire the Masquerade.

One of my all time favs.

ish_gibbor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ish_gibbor
[QUOTE="ish_gibbor"][QUOTE="gamingqueen"][QUOTE="ish_gibbor"]

VMan

That was in AOD

He was referring to NPC interaction with The Angel of Darkness, something I was going to point out myself.

OH well that was nothing like an adventure or rpg though. I am talking about something more like Mass Effect, or like Zelda OT.

ish_gibbor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ish_gibbor
[QUOTE="ish_gibbor"][QUOTE="gamingqueen"][QUOTE="ish_gibbor"]

gamingqueen

That was in AOD

Yeah right.... and legend is better than anniversary? :P alright then I'd rather discuss games with people who actually play them! See ya!

You claim I don't actually play games because I disagree with your opinion? Odd if you ask me. However let's look at the scores.

PS2 Legend - Crit: 8.2 User: 8.6

360 Legend - Crit 8.1 User: 8.3

PS2 Anniversary - Crit 8.2 User 8.8

360 Anniversary - Crit 7.7 User 7.9

It seems many people agree with me, but an opinion on which game is better would not and could not serve as objective evidence for if the person played and beat the game. I prefer good arguments or opinions based on something that can at least be argued intelligently.

super_police

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#18 super_police
Member since 2003 • 884 Posts

I even though I also prefer the Core games (well specifically 1, 2 and 4) One thing I really like about the CD TR games is that they are not all that graphics intensive. At present I have other expenses than upgrading my computer so I am stuck with my out of date 512 ram and 9200 radeon card. Both Legend and Anniversary run just fine on my pc though when most new games wont even start up anymore on it.

Even nicer is that there are plenty of options so that with better ram and video card I can boost the graphics up a lot.

I actually wish more developers would put out games that are compatible with older rigs. Its not bad to have everything complexly shaded and rendered but it would be nice for more developers to put out things that can be toned down without breaking the game or ruining the experience.