to HD or not to HD...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Kingmohd84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 Kingmohd84
Member since 2006 • 608 Posts
That is the question!
I have been thinking of turning into HD for sometime now...I know most of you are like of course HD is better...but hear me first
First of all I have a new CRT tv that I really like and I think that its colors arebeautiful. This tv is like 2 years old only. I would never think of changing it if itwas not for HD.
The second thing is , HD tv's are really expensive, at least the good onesi am looking for a 37-40 inch one.
The only thing I can do with HD is playgames, where I live hardly any bluray-hddvd movies areout and I dont plan on owning a player for this format anytime soon.
I hear CRT has better colors than LCD.There is all that contrast ratio that makes me scaredthat colores might look faded, tv am looking for has 8000:1 and i hear there are newer 15000:1!Add to that something called response time that worries me
on CRT the games graphics look good, but not HD of course.I am a fraid to play more games and miss on the HD factor that I should enjoywith HD console(360).
I might not know if HD is really worth it unless I own oneand test it for a week or so. Only then I can tell if it is goodenough for the investment I will make.
Do you have any input on this?Is it worth it to get HD tv just to play games? i will be paying $1500 justto get my games in HD
justjason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 justjason
Member since 2002 • 401 Posts

I recently decided that it was nearing time for me to go HD. There are a lot of things to consider, but one this is for sure, if you are satisifed with your current set-up then don't upgrade to HD now. Prices on tv's will only drop, they never go up. I would honestly wait until Christmas 2008 to buy anything, becaused by that time, TVs will be reasonable priced, you'll get more for your money and the technology and contrast ratios will be much greater.

The only downside to not owning an HD TV is text in games and Blu-Ray's are so small they're practically unreadable.

Kingmohd84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 Kingmohd84
Member since 2006 • 608 Posts
you are sooo right about the textas for price dropping and technology
they keep doing that, they drop price on old technologyand when new technology comes they raise the price and no one wants an old technology tvso if we have 8000:1 ratio...in antoher few months am sure we will see something like 50-000:1 ratioand u never know what to buy.
price continues to drop but when is the right time?
GulliverJr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 GulliverJr
Member since 2005 • 552 Posts

If you are trying to get in cheap, I would recommend you spend some time watching the market, assessing the various specs, and then striking at a time you determine is "hot".

I would concur that now is not a good time for you to buy unless you are going to cram a ton of research into a very short time. buying now will only have you bungle into a purchase that you are not really prepared to make.

The first thing you should do is determine what is the minimum length of time that you feel is necessary to get a reasonable return on investment out of the TV you already have. Three years? Can you sell it and use some of the cash to fund the next purchase?

What was said before applies, technology only gets cheaper. But the TV manufacturers know this too. That is why after periods of time you do not see the older technology on the shelves any more. Inventory space is too expensive to keep older TVs around when newer more expensive models can be sold. While there are some outlets that keep older TVs around longer than others, it makes it a hunt, and you have to decide if you are willing to put in that much effort. I also caution you about buying older technology in ignorance. Not knowing what you are buying when you buy cheap only leads to dissatisfaction once you get it home and realize what you didn't get, and more moeny spent down the road. If you are going to compromise, do so with some knowledge and make it a decision, rather than an agreeing to what a salesman tells you in the store.

I would pitch that the spring and early summer is the best time to buy if you are looking to pick up older technology. New TV models start trickling into the store over the summer and into September, so spring is a time when retailers are trying to clear their inventory. Couple that with tax return season, and you have the potential to find some pretty good deals. Shopping frequently once you enter the buying zone timewise can also lead to you finding deals and sales that may not have been advertised. Target a time, start hitting the stores, strike when you find the right deal, but never do so in haste.

I targeted this time frame earlier this year and got a 32" LCD 720p TV for just under $600. I happened to find the deal that was a combination of inventory that needed to be liquidated coinciding with a 10% off sale.

If you are trying to get the latest TV tech at reduced prices, look for deals during Black Friday, and in January (but you have to get in during the dead zone after Christmas, but before retailers jack up prices for people needing new HDTVs for the Superbowl).

You have some time, it sounds like. Time to get some more use out of a recently purchased TV. You have time to do some research in the evenings on the web about HDTV tecnology, and some time to scout the stores, take notes on any bull that sales-people tell you, and post questions about it here or elsewhere to determine if it is bad gouge or not. By the time you are ready to purchase, you should be fairly knowledgeable.

- Vr/GulliverJR.