Three Remasters That I Would Buy

This topic is locked from further discussion.

dylan417

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

Edited By dylan417
Member since 2008 • 5195 Posts

Bringing old video games to new platforms has been around for decades. "Remastering" old games by updating their graphics, adding new features, refining gameplay and overall performance, etc., and bringing them to new platforms is something many associate with Sony and their 2009 God of War Collection. This PS3 game consisted of the first two God of War games, which originally came to the PS2 towards the very end of its life cycle. But rather than just lazily porting these games to Sony's new console to ready gamers for the upcoming God of War III, the collection brought both games "HD" graphics and trophies. Two reasons to re-purchase these games. Dig deeper (and I'm sure you could go even deeper with such games as the Super Mario Advance series), and I would actually credit Nintendo for starting the remaster trend with its 2005 release of Super Mario 64 DS on, you guessed it, the Nintendo DS handheld. The game featured improved graphics, some minor new gameplay elements and mechanics, over 30 mini-games, and all sorts of features that utilized the DS's second screen. This game allowed older fans who had a N64 as a kid (I guess I was still a kid when the DS game came out too) to re-experience the revolutionary game with nostalgic memories but also with some new, added fun. It also allowed newer/younger gamers to experience one of the greatest, most important games ever created for the very first time. Everybody won.

Flash forward to 2015, and we've seen successful remasters of several old games, particularly from the PS2/GC/XBOX generation, such as Sly Cooper, Jak & Daxter, Kingdom Hearts, Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, Halo: Combat Evolved, etc. Given that these games came out at a time in which the video game industry was rapidly changing and evolving, it made sense to remaster these games and to keep them alive in a way. After all, who still has a working PS2 and all their old games? Personally, I do for the most part because I am a very sentimental, nostalgic person. But it would be a shame to let games die with the past. Re-releasing games digitally via Sony's PS1/PS2 Classics or Nintendo's Virtual Console is brilliant for preserving games if nothing else. But having new excuses to play either your old favorites or games you may have missed out on is an even more exciting idea.

Towards the end of the PS3/Wii/360 generation, I remember having a conversation with a friend about whether or not games from the current (now previous) generation would ever be re-released/remastered for the PS4/WiiU/XB1 generation. The reason it became a discussion and somewhat of an argument is that, while the new generation would certainly mark various improvements, there wouldn't be the same "SD" to "HD" gap that the PS2 to PS3 (for example) bridged as a selling point. Just how better could the PS4 version of Mass Effect 2 look and play from the PS3 version, even four years into its life cycle? I guess we will have to wait and see for now, but the odds are that the remaster will not be as significant as say, Metal Gear Solid 2 was.

Neither me or my friend would have guessed that we would be getting "remastered" game or collections this early into the generation. Sleeping Dogs, Tomb Raider, and The Last of Us have been brought to the new generation with almost trivial levels of improvement or change. Just over the course of these past couple weeks, a PS4 remaster of God of War III has been announced while remastered collections of the Uncharted and Batman: Arkham series have been highly rumored. Now, I get the fact that many 360 owners jumped ship to the PS4 after not experiencing the PS3's library, or vice versa. Or maybe a kid just turned 17 and is now itching to play the M-rated games that he/she missed out on. I get the idea of remastering games, I really do. In fact, I'm all for it. However, I do think that time plays a very important role. I mean, Uncharted 3 and Batman: Arkham City released about 4 years ago. 4 very short years. Why not let these games reach their 10th birthday. At least the first games in their respective series (holy s***, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune turns 10 in two years!).

The other alternative is something that I think was well realized by both Rockstar and Microsoft with Grand Theft Auto V and Halo: The Master Chief Collection, respectively. The PS4/XB1 version of GTAV not only brought over the one year old game with better graphics, but also added a first-person mode, environmental changes, and roughly coincided with the launch of their online heists multiplayer mode. Halo: The Master Chief Collection collected and remastered Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary, Halo 2 with remade cutscenes, Halo 3, Halo 4, and soon Halo: ODST with their brilliant single-player campaign. For multiplayer, every Halo map ever was available to play. As added bonuses, a multiplayer beta for Halo 5: Guardians was included as well as the smash flop Halo: Nightfall mini-series. Both re-releases weren't lazy cash grabs, but rather celebrated the original games and improved them. They seemed like fan service while making a quick profit. If remasters of the previous generation happen so soon, they should look to these two releases as inspiration.

That said, here are three games that I would love to replay right now as remasters:

- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Collection

Includes: Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3; remade campaigns; separate true-to-self multiplayer modes looking and sounding better; All DLC

Why: Hate or love what Call of Duty has begun, there is no denying its influence and relevance in both the video game industry and pop culture during its early Modern Warfare days. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare is right next to The Last of Us, Bioshock, and Grand Theft Auto IV in my short list of the most influential AAA games from last generation. When that game came out, there was really nothing else like it. Its campaign rivals blockbuster movies and its multiplayer component had millions hooked. Its popularity was inescapable. And for good reason. I would LOVE the opportunity to play COD4's multiplayer all over again just the way it was. No new modes, no new perks, not just its brilliant maps thrown into what Call of Duty is now. But that's not saying there isn't room for visual, technical, and audio improvement. The original game is now overrun with hackers and features near ugly animations and textures. MW2's multiplayer has a special place in my heart as well. Anxiously trying to get the "nuke" killstreak would be even more intense with timely updates. Again, keep the core mechanics and layouts, perks, etc. Go ahead and make the horrible MW3 multiplayer as well, why the hell not. That's just the multiplayer. How great the Modern Warfare trilogy's campaigns were cannot be exaggerated that far from the truth. They are fantastic, well connected and are begging to be replayed with all of the most recent Call of Duty advancements. Here is where you can mess the mechanics and practically remake the trilogy to feel like a whole experience.

Possibility: 50/50. I can see Activision getting greedy and pushing out two Call of Duty games in one year. Making this a Spring release shouldn't mess with a new Call of Duty that badly. Or maybe just give Infinity Ward or Sledgehammer a fourth year to make their game while this collection comes out in Fall 2016 or Fall 2017, which would coincide with the 10th anniversary of COD4. On the other side of the coin, why ruin a good thing? Call of Duty is still wildly successful and I have a feeling that Treyarch's new Call of Duty is going to reinvent the series in a major, major way. They have become the top dog in Activision's platoon of COD developers. This collection could get in the way and ruin the hype behind a new Call of Duty. I really could see Activision going down either path.

- Fallout: Ultimate Wasteland Collection

Includes: Fallout 3: Game of the Year Edition, Fallout: New Vegas - Ultimate Edition; remastered from PC versions

Why: I adore Fallout. Fallout 4 is the subject to my dreams. That said, I think that this game is at least one year away, and it should be in order to release as successfully as possible, with hopefully just as few bugs on the console versions as the PC version has and look better than even the best modded versions. Back to reality, I think it would be wise for Bethesda Game Studios to test the waters of the PS4 and Xbox One with a remaster of the two beloved PS3/360 games. It would be wise for them logically and from a business point of view. Eagerly waiting (and sometimes impatient) fans such as myself would eat this collection up. The thought of playing through Fallout 3 without nearly as many hiccups and bugs is a truly exciting thought. Perhaps Fallout 3 gets barrel sights and a few other improvements that Obsidian made with Fallout: New Vegas. And how about shorter load times and not having to worry about your save file growing and its correlation with frame rate issues like a ticking time bomb?

Possibility: Near 90%, eventually. It would be shocking if we never saw these games get the remaster treatment at some point. But having this collection come out before Fallout 4 could be problematic because I have hope that that game comes out a lot sooner than some people might think. Like maybe even this year kind of soon. Releasing this giant 400 hour collection could fatigue some casual gamers. It could even take away from Fallout 4 sales when you take into account gamers who haven't played Fallout yet.

- Red Dead Remastered

Includes: Red Dead Redemption, all DLC including Undead Nightmare, slightly remade version of Red Dead Revolver; improved graphics and sound, new weather cycle and environmental objects and effects, first-person mode, photo mode, downloadable soundtrack voucher

Why: Red Dead Redemption is my favorite PS3 game. I wrote all about my love for it a few blogs back in my Top 35 PS3 Games list. It's a just a special game. Rockstar always treats their fans nicely (their console-owning fans anyway) and this would be the ultimate celebration of one of the greatest games of all-time. A friend of mine and I had a long discussion of just how cool it would be to replay this game using GTAV's remaster as a template. It would be beautiful. Man, I love this game and I miss it dearly. The possibility of this remaster happening is the only thing keeping me from dropping another 250+ hours into this game.

Possibility: 70% With absolutely nothing official on their agenda (a RDR sequel and new IP are rumored time and again) for the first time that I can remember, they probably have multiple large scale games in development that are still multiple years away. I would be shocked if we get a brand new Rockstar game before 2017. They need something to fill that gap. This would sell hot. Rockstar, are you listening?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!!?

- A special shoutout goes to a Super Mario Galaxy Collection, but I just want a Super Mario Galaxy 3. That's all I can ask for.

-------------------------------------------------

How about you? What remasters from last generation would you like to see? Thanks for reading and please comment :)

- Dylan

Soethi6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Soethi6
Member since 2014 • 425 Posts

I would buy a RDR remaster for 60 bucks immediately. My favorite game ever.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44169 Posts

I'd most definitely pick up Red Dead Redemption, the Mass Effect trilogy, and a Gears of War collection if they remastered those games for current gen.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#3 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

Gears of War Trilogy

Resistance Fall of Man Trilogy

Arkham Trilogy

DMC Trilogy

Those are the games I wouldn't have to think twice about buying! Oh, and the Ghost Recon and Splinter Cell games.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 2

#4 mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

Red Dead Redemption Remastered would immediately get my money. And I'm also certain they'll remaster the Uncharted trilogy before the release of Uncharted 4.

Soethi6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Soethi6
Member since 2014 • 425 Posts

@mastermetal777 said:

Red Dead Redemption Remastered would immediately get my money. And I'm also certain they'll remaster the Uncharted trilogy before the release of Uncharted 4.

yep. too much cash lying there. Worst thing is, I would buy it :D

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#6 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

I think remasters have gotten a bit ridiculous at this point. I agree that they're fine if the game is fairly old. But seeing games like Tomb Raider and Sleeping Dogs get remastered just feels unnecessary. I was kind of bummed to see GTA V get remastered right after I put so much time into the "lower quality" version of it. The Last of Us turned out to be one of my favorite games, then of course an "enhanced" version with all its DLC gets released afterward. I just feel I missed out because I didn't wait. But perhaps I'm getting a little off topic...

But when it comes down to it, I don't think most games are deserving of getting remastered. That said, there are still some I would probably buy, as dumb as I think buying games I already own is. Fallout 3/New Vegas is a perfect example. Playing them on the PS3, I felt like I got the short end of the stick as far as my experience with these games went. Still fantastic games, but they just weren't made properly on the system. So I would definitely love to have a more consistent experience with those games if they remastered them on better hardware.

benleslie5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 557

#7 benleslie5  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 9175 Posts

I still need to pick up Tomb Raider even tough I've still not bought or played it on the PS3 would consider getting the remastered version, some remasters I would get because I've loved the originals on that systems my three choices that should get remasters are-

Final Fantasy XII

BioShock Collection

TimeSplitters Collection

dylan417

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 dylan417

@benleslie5: I haven't played Tomb Raider yet either. It looks good.

Eventually, I'd love to see a BioShock Collection. With Irrational Games defunct, it will be interesting to see how 2K handles that franchise going forward.

dylan417

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 dylan417

@SoNin360: Well said.

If a Fallout 3/NV remaster came out, I would buy it without a doubt. Even though I have already bought both games twice, new. I bought Fallout 3 for cheap ($10 I believe) just after New Vegas came out. About a year later, I bought New Vegas for about half of its original price. Then, rather than paying $100 for all the DLC packs, I ended up buying both "GOTY/Ultimate" editions for like $20 a piece. So personally, I'd have no problem with buying them again.

Come to think of it, Fallout 4 is the very first Fallout game I've waited for.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

I'd buy the Uncharted trilogy again but beyond that, I'm not going to support anymore remakes or last gen rehashes.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#11 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69479 Posts

I am waiting for the Remastered Remastered versions of games. That is double the mastery.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22375 Posts

@Archangel3371 said:

I'd most definitely pick up Red Dead Redemption, the Mass Effect trilogy, and a Gears of War collection if they remastered those games for current gen.

Yeah Mass Effect trilogy would be my most wanted... and RDR would be right up there too.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7270 Posts

Anyone remember Geist on the Gamecube? It was a FPS where you played a ghost that could possess people, animals, and some inanimate objects. It was really unique and a lot of fun, but suffered from sluggish controls, bad AI, and a choppy frame rate. A remaster that fixed those issues would take it from good to great, and give the WiiU an exclusive FPS.

In general, I think the best games to remaster would be ones that were good but had some minor issues. That way, the new console's added horsepower could go toward fixing them. Good examples would be speeding up sailing and shortening that needlessly long fetch quest in Wind Waker HD, or fixing the frame rate in Shadow of the Colossus.

TrevorZyla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 TrevorZyla
Member since 2015 • 76 Posts

Modern Warfare remaster would probably be the only one I would care to buy honestly

Buka_Co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Buka_Co
Member since 2015 • 25 Posts

I'd buy Max Payne 1&2 Remastered and the Uncharted trilogy

samuelscott888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 samuelscott888
Member since 2015 • 24 Posts

I'd buy the Arkham Trilogy, My favorite game ever.

DonBaser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#17 DonBaser
Member since 2007 • 1021 Posts

Dead Space 1 & 2.

GTA: San Andreas with GTA:V graphics would be nice.

SloganYams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18 SloganYams
Member since 2010 • 981 Posts

Super Mario World HD. Why hasn't this happened yet? Don't get me wrong, I love what Nintendo has done with the Zelda remakes, but why are Nintendo remakes restricted to Zelda? Everything else just gets re-released.

Just take Super Mario World, give it a fancy, HD makeover, and maybe add a few additional levels. BAM! Heaven in a video game.

Also, a remaster/remake of the SNES DKC trilogy would be great. Again, just update the visuals and maybe just add a thing or two (I'm already going with pretty timeless games so not a whole lot needs to change).

I'm the kind of person who buys Super Mario World and DKC every time Nintendo re-releases them, so it would be great to see Nintendo rework them from the ground up.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#19 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

To me i would like to see Timeplitters and Battlefront 2 from the PS2

dylan417

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 dylan417

@SloganYams: An all-out remake of Super Mario World with a similar engine to New Super Mario Bros. U? That would be awesome.

As for 3D Mario, I'd much rather see a brand new game rather than a Super Mario Sunshine HD. Because as much as I loved that game, I'd rather have a sequel with new ideas. But with 2D Mario, I'm starting to feel as if Nintendo is starting to run out of ideas to keep it fresh. So naturally, HD remakes would make sense.

And with Wind Waker, Majora's Mask, Ocarina, and ALTTP (to an extent) all remade/remastered, I can't really imagine that any new LoZ remakes/remasters are planned. Which could be a good thing, because it's been a while since we had brand new LoZ experiences worth playing. Unless you liked Skyward Sword, which I didn't.

Erodar35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Erodar35
Member since 2015 • 25 Posts

One of the best remastered games is Homeworld (sci-fi RTS)... I am enjoying as a child. One of the best buys of the year

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#22 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

Max Payne 1 and 2 for sure

bulby_g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By bulby_g
Member since 2005 • 1861 Posts

I'd buy a Skate 1-3 remaster set on PC but I'd rather they just did Skate 4. I'd be less enticed to buy if I hadn't sold my 360 and original copies too haha. Maybe Mario Sunshine and Dawn of War 1+2 as well. I think most of the games I'd REALLY like to see redone would need a total remake like Age of Empires 1/ROR (no AOE Online doesn't count).

@erodar35 said:

One of the best remastered games is Homeworld (sci-fi RTS)... I am enjoying as a child. One of the best buys of the year

Agreed. This and Wind Waker HD are both fantastic examples of how to do a remaster.

SloganYams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 SloganYams
Member since 2010 • 981 Posts

@dylan417@SloganYams: I actually really liked Skyward Sword (more so than Twilight Princess, anyway). But I can definitely understand the complaints in the game's awkward pacing and unnecessarily length (the backtracking could be a huge mess).

A Link Between Worlds was actually a great new experience, but one that used an old template, which made it something pretty unique.

And yeah, I meant the original Mario World with a modern engine. Not New Super Mario Bros. aesthetics though, those have gone stale (even if NSMBU was a huge improvement over the others in level design, the look just screamed "meh"). But just imagine Super Mario World with an HD engine. It would be glorious.

As for 3D Marios, I definitely want something new more than anything, but I would love an HD collection of the first 4 (64, Sunshine, Galaxy 1 & 2) should they decide to make one. But I'm curious to see where they take the series now. 3D World was immense fun, but was more like a love letter to all of Mario's history, as opposed to the next step in the series evolution like Galaxy was. Galaxy 3 would indeed be amazing though.

ossamags

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ossamags
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts

i don't like Remastered games come from the past generation (PS3 - XBOX 360)

Except GTA 5, it's Tireless.

Old_Gooseberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#26 Old_Gooseberry
Member since 2002 • 3958 Posts

I'd like a professional remake/remaster of Ultima 7. Exult is ok but even though it fixes some bugs from the original game, it adds new ones and the people who made it seemed to have hit a wall and couldn't fix some bugs that made it feel like a half done project for well over a decade. At this point its time to make this thing from scratch with all new graphics, improved leveling, stats and combat. I think the only people who probably could do it right are the ones who made Divinity Original Sin.

Catalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27  Edited By Catalli  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 3453 Posts

I'd rather a RDR sequel than a remaster, of course there's no reason why it can't be both!

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#28 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts

1 RDR remastered 2 uncharted remastered 3 skyrim 4 mass effect trilogy

Avatar image for deactivated-5ecd8722b64ab
deactivated-5ecd8722b64ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-5ecd8722b64ab
Member since 2015 • 27 Posts

With all these games getting remastered, especially games like Sly Cooper & Jak and Daxter, I would love to see the following get similar treatment:

GameDescription
Crash Bandicoot Series (PlayStation 1)A Crash Bandicoot "Re-warped" Collected, that consists of 1, 2 and 3; completely re-textured and in high definition. Hopefully SCEA will get the rights back to it and surprise us, but that's just wishful thinking.
Red Dead RedemptionThe original game bundled with the undead dlc. Then again, if the game was ported to PC then we'd have all the mods to accomplish this.
Call of Duty 4 Modern WarfareThis redefined shooters for a couple of years with its fresh campaign and unique multiplayer. Even though the series has gotten stale, this entry and MW2 remain great.
WTA2k5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 120

#30 WTA2k5
Member since 2005 • 3999 Posts

I would buy a Modern Warfare collection in a second. Modern Warfare 2 is right next to Halo and Counter-Strike as my favorite multiplayer FPS ever, so I'd take any chance I could to play that game with a renewed online community.

dylan417

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 dylan417

@WTA2k5: It would be awesome to get that multiplayer up and running. I miss the maps dearly. Especially "Estate", which is right under COD4's "Overgrown" for my all-time favorite Call of Duty map.