Think i'm done with DAI :(

• 86 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Ariabed
Member since 2014 • 2121 Posts

EDIT: I had a realization that i'm not done with rpg's i'm just done with this game, i wont let this game destroy my love for rpg's lol. I cant believe i'm board with this game already, when i play it i'm kinda on autopilot, I'm not actually invested in it, i'm doing side missions not because i want to but because i want to level up so i dont have to struggle during main missions etc, doing endless not very interesting side quest slowly levelling is becoming a chore, add to that the micro managing and decisiion making and all the fun is zapped out of the game.

Games like gtav splintercell deus ex mgs mass effect forza dishonoured, fallout, skyrim darksouls i can play for hours on end and i have to surgically remove the pad from my hands to stop playing, DAI, after a hour or two i'm just tied.

It may be a good game but i just cant play it for hours on end without getting bored.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

User Lists: 0

#2 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Then it's not for you. I love all the management that comes with a good RPG. But it requires a level of engagement higher than "mildly zoned out" so it's not for everyone.

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Ariabed

@turtlethetaffer said:

Then it's not for you. I love all the management that comes with a good RPG. But it requires a level of engagement higher than "mildly zoned out" so it's not for everyone.

Maybe your right usually i can only get on late at night after work and after the mrs goes to bed, after a few hours i get tied, but a game like gta i could play endlessly.

Dragonage requires a high level of engagement as you say, which means prob just playing on my days off and in the daytime when my brain is more fresh.

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 thereal25
Member since 2011 • 2074 Posts

@ariabed said:

@turtlethetaffer said:

Maybe your right usually i can only get on late at night after work and after the mrs goes to bed, after a few hours i get tied, but a game like gta i could play endlessly.

Dragonage requires a high level of engagement as you say, which means prob just playing on my days off and in the daytime when my brain is more fresh.

Actually I think gaming is like that in general.

I seem to find games more enjoyable when I'm bright and fresh. But after a hard day of work - I'm more inclined to just watch youtube videos or tv.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Sounds like you are into RPGs.... you're just not into crunching numbers and Optimisation

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Product of mindless bro shooters? I've been playing a bunch of them lately and yeah, I think an over-exposure to them makes your mind dull.

dylandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#8 dylandr
Member since 2015 • 4940 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu: Isn't that the opposite of what a gamer wants to do?

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Lulu_Lulu

@dylandr:

in universe where Dark Souls exists..... I don't know what gamers want.......

what I am sure of is they don't know how to accurately describe precisely what it is that they want.....

Its on of the things Developers Struggle with The Most..... trying to figure what players mean when they say "You're game sucks

... the combat sucks..... the level design sucks..... the stats suck"

I see it all the time when I argue with people..... theres a serious lack of precision in their descriptions and points.....

Maybe thats the reason why nobody knows what gamers want.....

I know what I want..... however when I tell people they scratch their heads in confusion.....

dylandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 dylandr

@Lulu_Lulu: just me or when you play a game you want to relax not grab a calculator to calculate the optimal stats am i right?

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Lulu_Lulu

@dylandr:

Not me..... I definitely want to think and be proactive....... but Numbers and Stats ? I want nothing to do with that......

Anyway some people might find Optimization Relaxing...... especially in an RPG where min maxing means less skill is required......

Theres a vast array of different types of gamers out there........

Hell have you heard of "Idle Games" ?

kaealy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 kaealy
Member since 2004 • 2179 Posts

@ariabed said:

its a game where you have to think a hell of alot.

Wait.. wha... What? I don't think we played the same game.

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

I forced my self through inquisition. It didn't engage me like skyrim did or make me feel as in world. It's not just you man that game though good, just isn't everyone's cake.

dylandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By dylandr

@Lulu_Lulu: yep...

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Lulu_Lulu

@dylandr:

Yeah.... I don't get those at all...... I put idles Games right up there with Dark Souls as things I just don't understand........

Atleast Idle Games are honest and upfront about what there are....... nobody's going to bullshit you about how "Difficult but Fair" they are......

dylandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 dylandr

@Lulu_Lulu: yup! just give me my rifle, portal gun or hell a potato but not one of those games!

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 thereal25

@dylandr said:

@Lulu_Lulu: just me or when you play a game you want to relax not grab a calculator to calculate the optimal stats am i right?

But really though, you don't.

In rpg's you just keep an overall awareness of things and use your intuition.

dylandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 dylandr

@thereal25: so you know which of the 12to 18 stats in darksouls does what and schould be upgraded when?

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 thereal25

@dylandr said:

@thereal25: so you know which of the 12to 18 stats in darksouls does what and schould be upgraded when?

Games are just for fun. Sometimes it isn't exactly clear how useful a certain thing may be so there is a bit or trial and error.

That's all I can say - but I haven't played Dark souls. I guess some games are a bit more forgiving than others though.

dylandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 dylandr

@thereal25: Yeah i mean like some basic rpg's have like Strength, agillity and intelligence to upgrade and thats OK because you know what which one does!

But if you have one stat that lengthens the invincibillty frames after your dodge roll like DS, i say no thanks...

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Lulu_Lulu

@thereal25:

NOPE.... In RPGs you min max...... especially in Dark Souls where you may need to compare a weapon with high base damage, poor scaling and has no auxiliary effects but is buffable and a weapon with medium base damage, decent scaling and has an auxiliary effect but isn't buffable.......AGAINST AN ENEMY YOU HAVEN'T EVEN ENCOUNTERED YET....... lol..... truth be told in Dark Souls you have to wack everything with every stick and compare which stick gives you the biggest numbers against which enemy.... because none of it makes anysense.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Lulu_Lulu

@dylandr:

Speaking of Portable Guns..... cracked wrote an Article about it recently..... it was scary.....

http://www.cracked.com/article_22182_5-secret-feminist-messages-hidden-in-portal-franchise.html

dylandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 dylandr

@Lulu_Lulu: Inb4 reading will this make me lose faith in humanity?

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Lulu_Lulu

@dylandr:

Nope..... only David Wong has that power....

This specific article is just someone thinking outloud.... albeit rather convincingly.... ;)

dylandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 dylandr

@Lulu_Lulu: Well i enjoyed reading it but calling it feminist might be a little over the top!

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

@dylandr:

It was a ploy to grab peoples attention..... sneak bastards....

dylandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 dylandr

@Lulu_Lulu: eh if you ignore the negative part it is fun to read xD

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Lulu_Lulu

@dylandr:

Exactly...... :)

LoL...... its funny when you phrase it that way....

BboyStatix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By BboyStatix
Member since 2007 • 651 Posts

@ariabed: Haha dude if you think micromanaging was too much, try turning off ai tactics and playing hehehe. I literally have to assign every action to each squad member. But still, I really enjoy it and I really have tons of fun having to do everything. This game can be very tactical. Managing the inventory can be the biggest pain haha. But yeah, I know you wanna relax after a hard day.

Idk though, I really love being challenged by games. Playing Splinter Cell Blacklist on Perfectionist without knocking out a single enemy was my favourite gaming experience of all time. Btw I'm not a pro player and my parents limit the amount of time I play (even though I'm 20 lol) but I make sure that when I do play, I play something that engages my attention completely. I play during weekends though so I guess that's the difference. I probably would prefer playing gta instead if I came home exhausted from work.

This is why FIFA and COD are so popular. It takes very little of your time and attention.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Stats and equipment management is just a form of "strategy". It might not seem it to some, but it's a skill requirement of the gamer, just like shooting accuracy in an fps or spatial reasoning and button agility in a platformer. None of those things are easy, they just tax different faculties. I think whether you like a genre or not really just boils down to whether you find it pleasurable to have the faculties that it challenges challenged.

I actually think there's a good reason why I enjoy RT and turn-based strategy games as well as cRPGs+jrpgs

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

@ariabed said:

I'm Playing Dragonage inquisition and its a good game an all but its not that fun, its a game where you have to think a hell of alot. Man!! I play this game for a couple hours and i'm exhausted because of all the micro managing and decision making, a game like this i think you do more of that than actually having fun playing the game.

IDK maybe i'm getting old, games like gtav splintercell deus ex mgs mass effect forza i can play for hours. This game is metally exhausting lol.

Like i said its a good game, a great game even, i just cant play it for hours on end without getting a headache.

Wow, I find that Dragon Age Inquisition is so mindless. One choose when leveling up and most of the time it is meaningless is not a brain burner. The equipment upgrade happen is uncommon enough that I skip it for hours of playing the main story with no real problems.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Lulu_Lulu

@xantufrog:

But numbers in RPGs aren't used the same way as numbers in Strategy games...... dare I say that in RPGs theres no strategising at all.... the facualty being engaged is your ability to grind and make numbers go up......

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Ariabed

@wiouds said:

@ariabed said:

I'm Playing Dragonage inquisition and its a good game an all but its not that fun, its a game where you have to think a hell of alot. Man!! I play this game for a couple hours and i'm exhausted because of all the micro managing and decision making, a game like this i think you do more of that than actually having fun playing the game.

IDK maybe i'm getting old, games like gtav splintercell deus ex mgs mass effect forza i can play for hours. This game is metally exhausting lol.

Like i said its a good game, a great game even, i just cant play it for hours on end without getting a headache.

Wow, I find that Dragon Age Inquisition is so mindless. One choose when leveling up and most of the time it is meaningless is not a brain burner. The equipment upgrade happen is uncommon enough that I skip it for hours of playing the main story with no real problems.

Ok smarty pants.

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Ariabed

@Lulu_Lulu: @BboyStatix: when i had a bunch of time on my hands i used to enjoy all the micro managing like in skyrim spending an hour sorting all my things into specific cupboards and chest at my house, smithing and enchanting then selling iron daggers lol. You could play that game for hours and not do a single quest. The smithing and enchanting system in skyrim is alot better and more straight foraward than in DA.

Levelling up seems to be quite slow aswell in DA, i'm getting tied of the whole grinding thing, not being able to take on some enemies and missions because not levelled up enough is annoying to.

I think now i dont have alot of time to game as i used to i need more time playing and less time talking to npc's and managing equipment etc, will prob mostly stick to action games with slight rpg elements. But i'm not totally abandoning rpg's of course fallout 4 is on its way i cant miss that, as for DA i dont think i will end up finishing it before i get bored, it will be one of those games that i keep coming back to periodically.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

@ariabed:

The only thing worse than a game where you to an area beyond your level.... is a game that doesn't even warn you that you are under leveled.......

Its also counter intuitive to open world design

TheHighWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By TheHighWind
Member since 2003 • 5724 Posts

Rpgs haven't gone bad they've just hit a spot where there's nothing really good out there or you've played them all. (PS3)

I thought inquisition was a waste of 60 bucks because I really liked the games for their character interaction and it's buggy and terrible in that game. You might as well go it alone when you're talking to Cassandra Pentgast from 50 feet away about stuff she doesn't want to talk about.

The maps I felt were like a maze of combat that didn't flow well. Your party disappears when you ride a horse. There was a locked door and for the LIFE of me I can't read that skill tree to find lockpicking!!

Not just you. I don't like that game either. Rpgs will bounce back you just need to wait a while longer.

Edit: Grammar.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9407 Posts

oh well that makes sense, Dragon Age Inquisition is not a good game. I wouldn't say there is a lot of micro managing though, it's pretty simple, just boring.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 xantufrog  Moderator

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@xantufrog:

But numbers in RPGs aren't used the same way as numbers in Strategy games...... dare I say that in RPGs theres no strategising at all.... the facualty being engaged is your ability to grind and make numbers go up......

I disagree - it's a long-term planning thing. I didn't mean to say RPGs and Strategy games were the same type of strategic experience, but your character development requires forethought that (in a good RPG) directly impacts gameplay and combat options. What stats you choose influences your strengths and weaknesses in combat (thus who you should avoid with which character and how to best deal with different foes), dialogue options, equipment availability (in some games), etc. Do you want a character who sacrifices a little beef in combat for better alchemy? That's a choice you have to make that effects your gameplay, including how you need to approach combat.

Also, many RPGs actually do have an explicit strategy component - with party combat, especially when turn-based, your stat and skill allocation becomes particularly important, as does choosing which characters should handle what in the combat. Encounters are like little "strategy games" that tie the long-term stat/skill/equipment planning/management you do directly into either a real time or turn-based strategic combat.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator

note, not all games integrate these things well. Some RPGs just have numbers for the sake of them and they don't really bear on gameplay. But that's a failing of the title, IMO, not a reflection on whether RPG stat management is "just a bunch of bs"

full disclosure: as much as I enjoy DA and Skyrim, they are both very flawed in how well they deliver on some aspects I discussed. They have been streamlined towards more action-oriented games and lost some of the "strategic" (if I may continue to use this terminology) elements of RPGs. It worked - it makes them punchier and friendlier to the masses, who just want to kill some stuff and save the world. But I would not hold them up as shining examples of thoughtful character development and its impact on combat/interactions

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 thereal25

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@thereal25:

NOPE.... In RPGs you min max...... especially in Dark Souls where you may need to compare a weapon with high base damage, poor scaling and has no auxiliary effects but is buffable and a weapon with medium base damage, decent scaling and has an auxiliary effect but isn't buffable.......AGAINST AN ENEMY YOU HAVEN'T EVEN ENCOUNTERED YET....... lol..... truth be told in Dark Souls you have to wack everything with every stick and compare which stick gives you the biggest numbers against which enemy.... because none of it makes anysense.

Sounds like DS is a particularly hard game. Usually in a rpg when there are weapons that differ in the way you describe - it ultimately doesn't matter that much which one is stronger.

Granted, most of my rpg experience comes from mass-friendly games like Skyrim, Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas and Borderlands 2.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Lulu_Lulu

@xantufrog:

You can't plan and strategise and build a character around enemies you haven't encountered yet....... its Trial and Error......... the only strategy RPGs have is comparing skills and weapons to see which ones yield the biggest numbers against which enemies..... and theres no clever way to go about it..... you just gotta wack every enemy with every stick you have

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Lulu_Lulu

@thereal25:

Dark Souls isn't hard.... infact on your first playthrough..... the majority if your deaths will come from falling off Narrow ledges of which Dark Souls had way way too many of...... once you get over that your other deaths will be caused by the game simply keeping important information from you...... Like the Ghosts and Skeletons......

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

@xantufrog:Lulu-lulu attacks RPG all the time while presenting the most extreme case as the normal while choosing to ignore that any game can be cheesed.

@ariabed said:

@wiouds said:

@ariabed said:

Ok smarty pants.

I just think your mind is just getting bored from being underused.

wizdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#44 wizdom
Member since 2003 • 10111 Posts

@ariabed said:

So because you have to think, it is not a good game? That makes no sense in my opinion at all, that is like complaining because you have to study outside of school. Anyway, it is cleary not your game, try another rpg or something, personally I love those type of games.

HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#45  Edited By HipHopBeats
Member since 2011 • 2850 Posts
@ariabed said:

Trust me, it's not you getting older. It's just that DAI has many technical flaws.The random loot drop system in this sucks and is beyond ridiculous, along with the many, boring side quests, all takes away from actually enjoying the game. Farming and grinding for loot drops, so you can craft the gear you want, is way too time consuming for a 2nd playthrough for me.

The recent patches removing all the fun, time saving exploits, has deterred my enthusiasm for any new playthroughs in DAI to the point of me contemplating selling this or trading it in. Many other players on Bioware forums are feeling the same way.

Even the MP in this game can take way too long to unlock characters, depending on your luck, not performance, because of the insane lottery loot. Even playing on Perilous didn't necessarily yield better results from treasure chests.

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Ariabed

@wizdom said:

@ariabed said:

So because you have to think, it is not a good game? That makes no sense in my opinion at all, that is like complaining because you have to study outside of school. Anyway, it is cleary not your game, try another rpg or something, personally I love those type of games.

Lacking some reading comprehension are we? Or did you not read all of my opening post before commenting hmmmm?

I clearly stated that,

"its a good game, a great game even"

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Ariabed

@wiouds said:

@xantufrog:Lulu-lulu attacks RPG all the time while presenting the most extreme case as the normal while choosing to ignore that any game can be cheesed.

@ariabed said:

@wiouds said:

@ariabed said:

Ok smarty pants.

I just think your mind is just getting bored from being underused.

You may be right, i guess i'm bored with the grinding and levelling in this game, doing a bunch of side quest not out of enjoyment but just to level up, it becomes a chore. That together with the micro managing decision making, doesnt make for a fun game. Like i said this is a good game but i doubt i will finish it.

I should have titled this thread i think i'm done with DAI, not rpg's in general, this game has almost made me dislike rpg's lol.

Wonder if i can change title now?

Edit: i changed the title of the thread and the opening statement, thanks for the enlightenment.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#48  Edited By Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19583 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@xantufrog:

That entirely depends on the RPG.

Some RPGs don't let you grind. Some RPGs don't give you much benefit from grinding, and demand better playstyles from the player instead.

Many party-based RPGs (such as any of the isometric Forgotten Realms games) have a very strong emphasis on strategy, where a good strategy will trump higher stats every time. Plus there's an entire sub-genre of RPGs called Strategy RPGs, which...surprise surprise, typically have a focus on strategy, and the best of them usually cannot be beaten with simple grind.

So yeah, you're making broad generalisations once again. Nothing new to see here.

*edit* Come to think of it, I could pull up everything you said in this thread as being wrong - the stuff about levels clashing with open world design, not being able to plan ahead against unknown enemies, etc. - but seeing as how you never seem to absorb anything people say to you, I really don't see the point.

Although I agree about Dark Souls. It was overrated, and even doing a blind first run I only ever died to shoddy platforming controls and unexpected/cheap things (like the mimics).

BboyStatix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By BboyStatix
Member since 2007 • 651 Posts

@ariabed: You just chose to do the boring quests!! Go hunt some dragons... it's super fun trust me.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9407 Posts

His eyes open!

And don't let DA:I get you down about micro-managing. Origins was great to micro-manage every little detail in encounters with. DA:I just has a terrible UI. I could have probably looked past the boring quests, weak character building system, and dumbed-down combat if they had just spent time making a proper UI.