There is something that needs to be in gaming. It hasn't yet, and it's overdue

This topic is locked from further discussion.

zabrak999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 zabrak999
Member since 2007 • 206 Posts

You know in videogames where, there has been certain characters who you've been attached to, and when they die you get a little emotional? The most notable incident of this happening is that Aeris or however you spelt her name from Final Fantasy 7, I mean her death is absolutely classic.

Well, we need a videogame developer that can produce largescale deaths in gaming, and you'll also get sad and emotional when it happens. So far nobody has succesfully linked a sad event that also has big a emotional side of it. Like for instance, 9/11. If somebody can make a game where, at some point in the game where you'll get sad and emotional when significantly large amount of people die...Then THAT would be epic. People get emotional over the deaths of certain events of WW2, but RARELY in videogames. Again, people have gotten emotional on certain single deaths in videogames, but never when a magnitutde of people have died. We need a game where we end up getting REALLY attached to a city or something, and then have that city get destroyed. Rather then get really attached toa character, and have that single character die.

Like I'm not some pessimistic, nihilistic freak or anything. I'm just saying that, if we got attached to a significantly large potion of people who ended up tragicially dying...Well, that would be a truly memorable part in gaming. Really, I truly think that would be a classic event in a game if done right...To get that emotional impact when somebody like Aeris died...Only have that emotional impact when a larger scale of people have died..Since I think it'd actually be more of an impact, really.

zabrak999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 zabrak999
anybody?
Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856
deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts
It sounds like to me like you're arguing against a basic human emotional oddity. I don't exactly understand what you're saying. Stalin says it best, "The death of one man is a tragedy, the death of millions is a statistic." I don't think game developers can change what their audiences tastes are. They more or less try to pander to their audience.
zabrak999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 zabrak999

It sounds like to me like you're arguing against a basic human emotional oddity. I don't exactly understand what you're saying. Stalin says it best, "The death of one man is a tragedy, the death of millions is a statistic." I don't think game developers can change what their audiences tastes are. They more or less try to pander to their audience.Genetic_Code

Stalin had severe mental issues. And speaking of Stalin, surely you know the millions he's killed, right?

You have to have zero empathy if you don't feel fore alot of people who perish at once. The tsunami in Indonesia or whrever it was a few years ago, the holocaust, 9/11...We didn't even know these people yet so many people feel for their deaths..Just imagine if you KNEW or get attached to those people in somway or another..This CAN be done in gaming, im' telling you it can.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 LordAndrew
Member since 2005 • 7355 Posts
It's impossible to identify with a bunch of nameless faceless people. The most emotional deaths in games occur after you've gotten to know and feel for a character. That kind of thing doesn't really work on a large scale.
Garforth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Garforth
Member since 2006 • 330 Posts

Stalin says it best, "The death of one man is a tragedy, the death of millions is a statistic." Genetic_Code

That's the first quote I thought of after reading you're post. Not sure how something like that would be pulled off in a game full stop tbh, though it would be quite an achievement i suppose. Don't know if I/people would enjoy playing something like that though lol

raahsnavj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#7 raahsnavj
Member since 2005 • 4895 Posts
An example I think of is take a CoD game. Now after you charged the beach head or whatever and finished the level the camera was able to pan over the scene and show all the dead people. Think, 'after the intro fight scene of saving private ryan'. I couldn't relate to any of the people personally except the ones that actually survived, but it still left an emotional mark. That is what you are looking for right? if so, yeah, that's hard to do in games seeming all the bodies disappear after a while to keep frame rates up. But maybe someone will figure it out some day.
Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856
deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts

Stalin had severe mental issues. And speaking of Stalin, surely you know the millions he's killed, right?

You have to have zero empathy if you don't feel fore alot of people who perish at once. The tsunami in Indonesia or whrever it was a few years ago, the holocaust, 9/11...We didn't even know these people yet so many people feel for their deaths..Just imagine if you KNEW or get attached to those people in somway or another..This CAN be done in gaming, im' telling you it can.

zabrak999

I'm not debating over Stalin. I just found the quote fitting.

So basically you're saying that, in the game, your avatar has a friend that dies in some horrible event, such as a terrorist attack or a natural disaster. I can see that. But they have to make really realistic and not just some plot device... I think. I mean, we have to care for the character. In television shows at least, there are many times when I don't feel much for the character and I'm guilty of seeing their death as nothing contributing to the overall story. However, I had no one close to me die to 9/11 or the 2004 tsunami but I felt terrified then. It'd take a great deal of reality because I knew the people who were dieing were people like me. In video games, those people aren't real so it's going to make it seem really hard.

However, you have a good point. I support it!

Chaos1031

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Chaos1031
Member since 2005 • 94 Posts

Phantasy Star Online began with Dark Falz destroying Pioneer 1 which killed the millions that were in it and on the planet's surface.
Phantasy Star Universe had almost somewhat similar scale events. [spoiler] AotI had the Guardian's who died on the Hive who were on "vacations", the Seed outbreak on Moatoob, and the Illuminus crashing the Guardian's colony into Parum, which eventhough the residential block was saved it still supposedlly killed millions. [/spoiler]

While it may be sad, it's harder to do fictional tragedies with unknown faces to carry the same impact as real-life ones.

zabrak999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 zabrak999
Btw. I'm not saying to COPY those ideas (holocaust, 9/11, etc. etc. etc.) I'm just using those ideas as a reference, where alot of people died, and then humanity soon felt for their deaths. THis happens in videogames with just single people dying, but I'm talking a magnitude of people dying, yet people will get emotionally attached to their deaths in a game like they do in real life. it CAN happen people
zabrak999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 zabrak999

It's impossible to identify with a bunch of nameless faceless people. The most emotional deaths in games occur after you've gotten to know and feel for a character. That kind of thing doesn't really work on a large scale.LordAndrew

Like I said in my post. it CAN happen if you get attached to a large amount of people. it CAN happen.

zabrak999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 zabrak999

An example I think of is take a CoD game. Now after you charged the beach head or whatever and finished the level the camera was able to pan over the scene and show all the dead people. Think, 'after the intro fight scene of saving private ryan'. I couldn't relate to any of the people personally except the ones that actually survived, but it still left an emotional mark. That is what you are looking for right? if so, yeah, that's hard to do in games seeming all the bodies disappear after a while to keep frame rates up. But maybe someone will figure it out some day.raahsnavj

You actually got REALLY emotional by those people who died on that level in COD2? If so I can't force you NOT to feel that way. I'm just saying like...okay when aeris died in FF7 (there are ALOT more examples of a single person dying but that's the most notable example) people actually really felt something, since they were so attached to that person. I want a game where you can have that SAME AMOUNT OF SADNESS when ALOT of people perish in a game.

zabrak999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 zabrak999

"While it may be sad, it's harder to do fictional tragedies with unknown faces to carry the same impact as real-life ones".

Right. But what if you DID get attached to a signifcant amount of people in a game? Like...You know kakarikoo village (or however you spell the name) in OOT? What if they made it so ALL those people were slaughtered? I'm sure somebody would feel something since they got attached to those people? Or maybe that's not good enough of an example, either way, I think you know what I mean.

zabrak999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 zabrak999
*stomps on chirping cricket*
raahsnavj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#15 raahsnavj
Member since 2005 • 4895 Posts

[QUOTE="raahsnavj"]An example I think of is take a CoD game. Now after you charged the beach head or whatever and finished the level the camera was able to pan over the scene and show all the dead people. Think, 'after the intro fight scene of saving private ryan'. I couldn't relate to any of the people personally except the ones that actually survived, but it still left an emotional mark. That is what you are looking for right? if so, yeah, that's hard to do in games seeming all the bodies disappear after a while to keep frame rates up. But maybe someone will figure it out some day.zabrak999

You actually got REALLY emotional by those people who died on that level in COD2? If so I can't force you NOT to feel that way. I'm just saying like...okay when aeris died in FF7 (there are ALOT more examples of a single person dying but that's the most notable example) people actually really felt something, since they were so attached to that person. I want a game where you can have that SAME AMOUNT OF SADNESS when ALOT of people perish in a game.

No, I didn't get emotional... and that's the problem. I don't think anyone really can do it in a video game without 'faking' it. To have some tragic and actually mean something it needs to be more personalized.

KOTOR, the whole city / world you just played in gets destroyed and it didn't make a difference to me. Why? Where were the people? They couldn't render them. no one running for their lives or being blown up... devs just don't render that stuff, it is too busy and drop the framerate or something just sucks in the delivery.

Games have done the mass destruction thing over and over. That isn't the part that is missing. It doesn't mean anything because they haven't found a way to present it in a meaningful fashion. That is what is missing. That and to me there is always a disconnect between video games and real life the movies do not have to traverse.
edgewalker16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 edgewalker16
Member since 2005 • 2286 Posts

You know in videogames where, there has been certain characters who you've been attached to, and when they die you get a little emotional? The most notable incident of this happening is that Aeris or however you spelt her name from Final Fantasy 7, I mean her death is absolutely classic.

Well, we need a videogame developer that can produce largescale deaths in gaming, and you'll also get sad and emotional when it happens. So far nobody has succesfully linked a sad event that also has big a emotional side of it. Like for instance, 9/11. If somebody can make a game where, at some point in the game where you'll get sad and emotional when significantly large amount of people die...Then THAT would be epic. People get emotional over the deaths of certain events of WW2, but RARELY in videogames. Again, people have gotten emotional on certain single deaths in videogames, but never when a magnitutde of people have died. We need a game where we end up getting REALLY attached to a city or something, and then have that city get destroyed. Rather then get really attached toa character, and have that single character die.

Like I'm not some pessimistic, nihilistic freak or anything. I'm just saying that, if we got attached to a significantly large potion of people who ended up tragicially dying...Well, that would be a truly memorable part in gaming. Really, I truly think that would be a classic event in a game if done right...To get that emotional impact when somebody like Aeris died...Only have that emotional impact when a larger scale of people have died..Since I think it'd actually be more of an impact, really.

zabrak999

You really, REALLY need to spoiler tag that last sentence in the first paragraph. Not everyone who would like to play FFVII has played...although I guess you'd have to live under a rock to not have heard about that particular death. '~'

zabrak999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 zabrak999
[QUOTE="zabrak999"]

[QUOTE="raahsnavj"]An example I think of is take a CoD game. Now after you charged the beach head or whatever and finished the level the camera was able to pan over the scene and show all the dead people. Think, 'after the intro fight scene of saving private ryan'. I couldn't relate to any of the people personally except the ones that actually survived, but it still left an emotional mark. That is what you are looking for right? if so, yeah, that's hard to do in games seeming all the bodies disappear after a while to keep frame rates up. But maybe someone will figure it out some day.raahsnavj

No, I didn't get emotional... and that's the problem. I don't think anyone really can do it in a video game without 'faking' it. To have some tragic and actually mean something it needs to be more personalized.

KOTOR, the whole city / world you just played in gets destroyed and it didn't make a difference to me. Why? Where were the people? They couldn't render them. no one running for their lives or being blown up... devs just don't render that stuff, it is too busy and drop the framerate or something just sucks in the delivery.

Games have done the mass destruction thing over and over. That isn't the part that is missing. It doesn't mean anything because they haven't found a way to present it in a meaningful fashion. That is what is missing. That and to me there is always a disconnect between video games and real life the movies do not have to traverse.

Okay. Alot of single character deaths though happen during a cutscene. Surely they chould present it that way.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 LordAndrew
Member since 2005 • 7355 Posts
It's really not that simple. It's very difficult to make a player truly care when a character dies. Simply making a cutscene isn't enough.
Crystall3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 Crystall3d
Member since 2005 • 397 Posts

i share george carlin's point of view about the subject...

uberbra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 uberbra
Member since 2004 • 1827 Posts

the Brothers in Arms series REALLY gets you closely tied to your squadmates, and when they die, it stings, trust me

and the newest one coming in september is really gonna be emotional (since its based on a lost battle, and tons of pple die)

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#21 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
If Final Fantasy VII made you get emotional then Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne, Shadow of the Colossus and Okami will have you bawling on the floor like a child.