Theory about Rare Ltd.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for TransformerRobo
TransformerRobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 TransformerRobo
Member since 2011 • 549 Posts

There's this post I saw on YouTube by a guy named jordin mccoy (That's how he spelled it), and here's something interesting he said:

"I have a theory of why Rare is making bad games for Microsoft: they want to get fired, so they can go back to Nintendo, and make Banjo-Threeie, Conker's Next Bad Fur Day, and, yes, Tiptup Nuts and Bolts."

That seems like a likely theory to me, what about to you guys? Do you think Rare is trying to get themselves fired from Microsoft so they can come back to Nintendo?

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

There's this post I saw on YouTube by a guy named jordin mccoy (That's how he spelled it), and here's something interesting he said:

"I have a theory of why Rare is making bad games for Microsoft: they want to get fired, so they can go back to Nintendo, and make Banjo-Threeie, Conker's Next Bad Fur Day, and, yes, Tiptup Nuts and Bolts."

That seems like a likely theory to me, what about to you guys? Do you think Rare is trying to get themselves fired from Microsoft so they can come back to Nintendo?

TransformerRobo

I don't know how much you know about Rare

You understand that they're the most profitable that they've ever been in the company's history right?

Why would Microsoft get rid of something that was making them money?

TransformerRobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 TransformerRobo

[QUOTE="TransformerRobo"]

Jaysonguy

I don't know how much you know about Rare

You understand that they're the most profitable that they've ever been in the company's history right?

Why would Microsoft get rid of something that was making them money?

Because Rare has been making nothing but Wii Sports clones. It's like they're at least TRYING to make bad games (they succeeded with Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts).

Justforvisit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 Justforvisit
Member since 2011 • 2660 Posts

You obviously never had a job, huh?

If they'd do that noone would want to work with them in the future anymore because it wouldn't be a good reference for future money-givers.

Also, gaming industry isn't like slavery. If they wouldn't want to work with them anymore, they'd just say bye bye.

Also, why on earth should the fact MS doesn't want to work with them anymore automatically employ them to Nintendo? Mind to explain?

Aaand....what would keep them off of doing so? You can have an exclusive right for a game or maybe a series, but nobody has the exclusive right to a whole company, except they've buyed them, which isn't the case as far as I know.

TransformerRobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 TransformerRobo

You obviously never had a job, huh?

If they'd do that noone would want to work with them in the future anymore because it wouldn't be a good reference for future money-givers.

Also, gaming industry isn't like slavery. If they wouldn't want to work with them anymore, they'd just say bye bye.

Also, why on earth should the fact MS doesn't want to work with them anymore automatically employ them to Nintendo? Mind to explain?

Aaand....what would keep them off of doing so? You can have an exclusive right for a game or maybe a series, but nobody has the exclusive right to a whole company, except they've buyed them, which isn't the case as far as I know.

Justforvisit

It's because of how the public views Microsoft and it's decisions made with Rare.

Besides, Nintendo is able to take companies who have screwed up and get them back on their feet. After all they allowed Sega to work on an F-Zero game and F-Zero GX was a masterpiece. Who's to say Nintendo couldn't fix Rare after Rare butchered Banjo Kazooie.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44265 Posts
That "theory" is just flat-out ridiculous.
Namgis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 5

#7 Namgis
Member since 2009 • 3592 Posts

They are making the games M$ wants them to. They are owned by M$. If a game is sub par, the blame is not solely on Rare. I don't get why people think the devs have final say to how the game is made. If I were to hire a developing company to make me a game, Is it their fault for listening to me? All M$ wants from them is what they are doing. I'm sure they would welcome a chance to make something other than Kinect titles. They're just not getting the chance.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#8 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
Sure, Satoru Iwata and Reggie would DEFINITELY greenlight another Conker rofl :lol:
KnightSkull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 KnightSkull
Member since 2011 • 1481 Posts

Microsoft could fire every single person working for Rare right now or close the developer down completely, that wouldn't mean the now ex-Rare staff could go to Nintendo, or any other developer, and start working on a new Banjo, Conker or any other Rare IP as Microsoft would still own the rights to them. The only way they could work on them is if Microsoft sold Rare and/or the rights to those IP's.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

Sure, Satoru Iwata and Reggie would DEFINITELY greenlight another Conker rofl :lol:Black_Knight_00

Sooner than MS tbh...

TransformerRobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 TransformerRobo

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]Sure, Satoru Iwata and Reggie would DEFINITELY greenlight another Conker rofl :lol:nameless12345

Sooner than MS tbh...

My point stands. Rare hasn't made a good game in over 5 years.

Namgis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Namgis

TransformerRobo

M$ hasn't allowed them to do so. They have been told to make Kinect titles, that's what they're doing.

TransformerRobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 TransformerRobo

Namgis

M$ hasn't allowed them to do so. They have been told to make Kinect titles, that's what they're doing.

Just as I said, they haven't made a GOOD game in over 5 years. Microsoft has been throwing away so many missed opportunities with Rare that it's gotten hopeless.

Namgis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Namgis

Wasn't your original point that they were making bad games in order to get fired? No one will deny they have been wasted. But is that their fault? The blame starts at the top. I'm sure they haven't put forth their full effort, but saying they are purposefully slacking in order to move to another company is laughable. How many of the team that brought us the 'great' games are still there? I'm sure the people who wanted to do more than make Kinect games have left to do so.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Black_Knight_00

[QUOTE="Namgis"]

TransformerRobo

Just as I said, they haven't made a GOOD game in over 5 years. Microsoft has been throwing away so many missed opportunities with Rare that it's gotten hopeless.

That's because most of the original talent has left. By now only the Rare logo remains. That's why they get stuck with making sh*t kinect games.

It's the people who make a great studio, not the name.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

It funny how Microsoft is portray as the evil one in Rare event happening.

Microsoft bought a game developer what as been known to make outstanding games. Then Rare just started to ride their past games letting Microsoft take the blame for them.

TransformerRobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 TransformerRobo

[QUOTE="Namgis"]

Black_Knight_00

That's because most of the original talent has left. By now only the Rare logo remains. That's why they get stuck with making sh*t kinect games.

Might as well change their name from Rare to Repulsive.

1PMrFister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#20 1PMrFister
Member since 2010 • 3134 Posts
That "theory" is just flat-out ridiculous.Archangel3371
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Black_Knight_00

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]

TransformerRobo

I think that ship has sailed with their first kinect game
TransformerRobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 TransformerRobo

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"] That's because most of the original talent has left. By now only the Rare logo remains. That's why they get stuck with making sh*t kinect games.

Black_Knight_00

Which is just a Wii Sports clone.

TrainerCeleste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 TrainerCeleste
Member since 2012 • 1633 Posts
Nuts and Bolts was actually really fun :P YOu got to make such silly vehicles and it was fun collecting all the parts xD It was different yes, but you know what I kinda enjoyed the change :P
Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44265 Posts
Well as far as I'm concerned Rare's been as good as they've always been if not better. Kameo, Perfect Dark Zero, Viva Pinata 1 & 2, and Banjo Nuts & Bolts were all excellent games with Nuts & Bolts sporting some great visuals. I can't comment on the Kinect games though since I've never played them.
TrainerCeleste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 TrainerCeleste
Member since 2012 • 1633 Posts
Well as far as I'm concerned Rare's been as good as they've always been if not better. Kameo, Perfect Dark Zero, Viva Pinata 1 & 2, and Banjo Nuts & Bolts were all excellent games with Nuts & Bolts sporting some great visuals. I can't comment on the Kinect games though since I've never played them.Archangel3371
YES! I don't get why everyone was complaining about nuts and bolts. It's like everyone was crying it wasn't the traditional Banjo clone. Once you got into it, the game was so fun xD Viva Pinata was genius, and PDZ was ok as well :P They make me miss my xbox actually xP
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Black_Knight_00

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"][QUOTE="TransformerRobo"]

TransformerRobo

Which is just a Wii Sports clone.

Part of why it sucks
TheSacredFlame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#27 TheSacredFlame
Member since 2011 • 324 Posts

Well, that theory is completely false. The very idea of a company doing poorly on purpose because of an agenda they're trying to accomplish doesn't make any sense at all.

Rare is developing the type of games that Microsoft has instructed them to do. That's all.

TransformerRobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 TransformerRobo

Well, that theory is completely false. The very idea of a company doing poorly on purpose because of an agenda they're trying to accomplish doesn't make any sense at all.

Rare is developing the type of games that Microsoft has instructed them to do. That's all.

TheSacredFlame

Then Microsoft needs to get their act together and get Rare to make GOOD games, not just Wii Sports clones.

And the reasons so many people hate Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts are because it made Kazooie useless, took away all the components of the first 2 games that made them so great, made the objectives boring and irritating, characters like Mumbo and Humba Wumba are reduced to boring extras, and the process of getting Jiggies had become dull and uninteresting.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
And that's a pretty terrible notion. The core developers at Rare are all long gone. Rare means nothing these days, it's a completely different company, and it's a Microsoft company. It's not autonomous in the slightest. And now the Free Radical is long gone (mostly absorbed by Crytek), there are former Rare employees everywhere. You don't get a company 'fired' from Microsoft. That's not how businesses work. Rare is gone, the reason they're making terrible Kinect stuff, is because that's what Microsoft wants them to do - they're a, if not the Kinect division. Honestly I have no clue why people come up with such absurd reasoning and rationals when there are so many interviews, and sources of information there on the web.
TransformerRobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 TransformerRobo

And that's a pretty terrible notion. The core developers at Rare are all long gone. Rare means nothing these days, it's a completely different company, and it's a Microsoft company. It's not autonomous in the slightest. And now the Free Radical is long gone (mostly absorbed by Crytek), there are former Rare employees everywhere. You don't get a company 'fired' from Microsoft. That's not how businesses work. Rare is gone, the reason they're making terrible Kinect stuff, is because that's what Microsoft wants them to do - they're a, if not the Kinect division. Honestly I have no clue why people come up with such absurd reasoning and rationals when there are so many interviews, and sources of information there on the web.skrat_01

Because by destroying Rare Microsoft ripped out a chunk of our souls we'll never get back. So yes, it's a personal bias.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts

[QUOTE="skrat_01"]And that's a pretty terrible notion. The core developers at Rare are all long gone. Rare means nothing these days, it's a completely different company, and it's a Microsoft company. It's not autonomous in the slightest. And now the Free Radical is long gone (mostly absorbed by Crytek), there are former Rare employees everywhere. You don't get a company 'fired' from Microsoft. That's not how businesses work. Rare is gone, the reason they're making terrible Kinect stuff, is because that's what Microsoft wants them to do - they're a, if not the Kinect division. Honestly I have no clue why people come up with such absurd reasoning and rationals when there are so many interviews, and sources of information there on the web.TransformerRobo

Because by destroying Rare Microsoft ripped out a chunk of our souls we'll never get back. So yes, it's a personal bias.

And that has happened to too many game companies. I'm sad that Bullfrog and Westwood were eviscerated by EA, and Looking Glass shut its doors. It happens. The sooner you take Rare for what it is nowadays - Microsoft - the sooner the bitterness will go.
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 nameless12345

[QUOTE="Archangel3371"]Well as far as I'm concerned Rare's been as good as they've always been if not better. Kameo, Perfect Dark Zero, Viva Pinata 1 & 2, and Banjo Nuts & Bolts were all excellent games with Nuts & Bolts sporting some great visuals. I can't comment on the Kinect games though since I've never played them.TrainerCeleste
YES! I don't get why everyone was complaining about nuts and bolts. It's like everyone was crying it wasn't the traditional Banjo clone. Once you got into it, the game was so fun xD Viva Pinata was genius, and PDZ was ok as well :P They make me miss my xbox actually xP

lol

No.

(inb4 "you didn't play them"; Well, yes I did. They didn't hold a candle to the games they made on Nintendo's platforms.)

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 nameless12345

[QUOTE="skrat_01"]And that's a pretty terrible notion. The core developers at Rare are all long gone. Rare means nothing these days, it's a completely different company, and it's a Microsoft company. It's not autonomous in the slightest. And now the Free Radical is long gone (mostly absorbed by Crytek), there are former Rare employees everywhere. You don't get a company 'fired' from Microsoft. That's not how businesses work. Rare is gone, the reason they're making terrible Kinect stuff, is because that's what Microsoft wants them to do - they're a, if not the Kinect division. Honestly I have no clue why people come up with such absurd reasoning and rationals when there are so many interviews, and sources of information there on the web.skrat_01

And that has happened to too many game companies. I'm sad that Bullfrog and Westwood were eviscerated by EA, and Looking Glass shut its doors. It happens. The sooner you take Rare for what it is nowadays - Microsoft - the sooner the bitterness will go.

Don't forget Shiny and Origin.