The Scariest Game ?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

wollro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 wollro
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

Hey guys, I was just wondering what the Scariest game out there is.

I want to ask you guys for your opinion in this.

If you have any ideas or suggestions, post them below, and leave a comment on how you found it,

how scary you think it is, and maybe leave a rating out of 10?

Thanks for contributing!

IrishConnor94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 IrishConnor94
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
The original Silent Hill was pretty freaky. I think older games in general are scarier than newer ones because the fraw distances are short, you can't see very far ahead, so when ever you hear movements, you know something is near, but you don't know what (or how many) until the last second. I would rate Silent Hill 1 an 8.5. If you aren't a fan of PS1 era games I'd also recommend Silent Hill Shattered Memories. It's on the PS2, PSP and Wii. What amkes this game freaky is the fact that you can't fight in it. There are monsters chasing you in some section, but all you can do is push them off and run away, the chase scenes are very tense, although they can get a little frustrating sometimes. I'll rate this one an 8.
Haidarsoft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Haidarsoft
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

Silent Hill 4, The room

Avatar image for deactivated-5eea5a5a83edd
deactivated-5eea5a5a83edd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#5 deactivated-5eea5a5a83edd
Member since 2011 • 348 Posts

I think that Metroid Fusion is pretty freaky as the game feels like a horror game more than a Metroid game as the SA-X, and the rest of the X parasites in the game, and also the bosses ambushing you from out of nowhere are pretty scary. The music is also frightening too. I would not mind seeing a sequel to Fusion. This Metroid feels more survival horror than usual Metroid action. Once you play Fusion, it will make you S#@T bricks!!! It's that scary. Nintendo, make a Metroid Fusion 2 please!

quakke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 5

#6 quakke
Member since 2006 • 225 Posts

Some may think not the scariest but Cold Fear (2005) to me was very scary when playing on hard difficulty, so that you really cant just walk through the game.
More scary games i can think of include: Condemned Criminal Origins, Doom 3, Silent Hill 4: The Room, Silent Hill: Homecoming, Dead Space and F.E.A.R. franchise has it's scary moments.

alechair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 alechair
Member since 2003 • 44 Posts

I choose Clock Tower, the first one.

yaopingzhu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 yaopingzhu
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

I actually thought FEAR was pretty freaky.

IrishConnor94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 IrishConnor94
I totally forgot the Manhunt games! I've only played the second and that was intense. Some of those Gruesome Executions were really disturbing. (Want an idea how messed up some of the kills are? Rockstar Games had to put static on the screen for some of the executions just so Manhunt 2 could get a M rating.)
CloneBraveB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 CloneBraveB
Play Amnesia - but first lock your door and turn off the lights - get your headset - turn up the volume and sh** your pants ^^
wollro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 wollro
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

Yes, I already had the experience of nightmares from that game :D

But recently I have been hearing a lot about a game called: The Room

I still havn't played it, or have seen someone else play it, so I dont really know what to expect from it.

I was not really aware of the game untill recently, so it might be a worthwhile experience.

The game did not really gain much attention, so it might be a good chance to 'see what it can do'...

For me, the Classic Slender games seem to have the right ammount of the Horror element in them.

They sure are working their way up to the tops in survival horror games genres, just like Amnesia and the Silent Hill Series.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#12 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

As far as pure, unadulterated, sh!t your pants terror goes, Silent hill 3 takes the cake IMO. Just a really really lonely, creepy and scary atmosphere, and it has some really terrifying moments. There are even rooms in the game designed for no other reason than to scare you. All I'll say is that you won't look at mirrors the same way after playing through the hospital level.

I think the best horror game from this gen was probably Condemned Criminal Origins. The First person view made it really immersive and there were some truly freaky envinronments that you had to work through, especially near the end.

pmilkygaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 pmilkygaming
i played this game by request and i didnt think it was going to be scary and then BAM they turn teletubbies evil with slendytubbies tell me if you think its scary haha, watch :p http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u01dPOAn3Ss
Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#14 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5905 Posts

I consider Silent Hill 2 to be the creepiest game I've ever played. The combination of the music, characters, feeling of loneliness, story, and environment make it a very unsettling experience.

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#15 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5905 Posts

I think the best horror game from this gen was probably Condemned Criminal Origins. The First person view made it really immersive and there were some truly freaky envinronments that you had to work through, especially near the end.

turtlethetaffer

Such an underrated game, and even though it has its flaws, every game does and Condemned has a great feel to it when you play it. And the story, especially in the first game, is pretty good which is a must for me with this type of game.

ProjectNight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ProjectNight
1) Project Zero series 2) Silent Hill 1 3) Resident Evil Rebirth 4) Resident Evil 2 5) Dead Space 1
pmilkygaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 pmilkygaming
The house two is very scary ! I played it and I wasn't too willing to leave my room at night after ! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZgoBgwvh4U&feature=youtube_gdata_player
MhNtr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 MhNtr
Fear Effect
omzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 omzo
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
Penumbra: Overture.
Avatar image for PsychoRedFox666
PsychoRedFox666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 PsychoRedFox666
Member since 2007 • 2081 Posts

Fatal Frame gets my vote.

funkadelichika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 funkadelichika
Member since 2006 • 8904 Posts
Amnesia the Dark Descent for me so far is the scariest.
124C1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 124C1
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
Fatal Frame, for sure. I personally think that big part of indie-horrors use rather cheap methods of being fearsome, so i didn't feel anything from playing Slender and Amnesia. Silent Hill: Shattered Memories. It's not even about horror, but the context. Game is made with talent (especially when it comes to player's choice) and there is that background, which makes you feel emotions and connection to the protagonist. And the ending, yeah. Forbidden Siren, RE 2 had its scares for me (that moment with grabbing hands, for example).
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 turtlethetaffer

[QUOTE="turtlethetaffer"]

Blueresident87

Such an underrated game, and even though it has its flaws, every game does and Condemned has a great feel to it when you play it. And the story, especially in the first game, is pretty good which is a must for me with this type of game.

Honestly I think when they started to try and explain things in 2 it jsut kind of lost its charm. There was a lot of mystery to the first, and that's what made it compelling.

PurplePenguinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 PurplePenguinn
I havn't played a whole lot of scary games but.. F.E.A.R. and F.E.A.R. 2 definitely had some scary moments. In a dark room only seeing where your flashlight is pointed.. It starts to flicker and you look around (figuring the game developers would have something to scare you) but nothing.. so you look back in front of you to keep walking and !BAM! there's a dead chick two feet from your face. Amnesia: The Dark Descent also has a pretty freaky story. Whereas in F.E.A.R. you won't die from getting the crap scared out of you (it's just a ghost that usually doesn't actually bother you) in Amnesia, if you see footsteps in the water coming close to you - you better pack up and run. It really have a more helpless fear factor - run and don't die; when F.E.A.R. is more "I have 13 guns and can kill anything " but you still get spooked.
Keeper_Artemus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25 Keeper_Artemus
Member since 2011 • 132 Posts

Sounds like you guys have nailed most of the standard horror games, but I would add other games that just have horror elements in them, too. I'm thinking of the Ravenholm section of Half-Life 2.  Stuff like that.

Thief: The Dark Project was great because it used sound in a way most games didn't.  Listening to ghosts dragging chains and crying or pagans mumbling creepy poetry while you sneak around was pretty freaking scary.  Unfortunately, the graphics of the game are a little dated by now.

I would also say the Demon's Souls games are fairly scary.  Instead of jump scares or tank controls, the fact that you are in better control of your life and death makes you more wary and cautious then your standard survival horror game. I'm guessing you know about these already.

I think Doom 3 deserves some mention as well because it's version of Hell was pretty intense.  The guys at Id software have to be some pretty sick puppies.

Avatar image for Icepick_Trotter
Icepick_Trotter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Icepick_Trotter
Member since 2005 • 40 Posts
Another vote for Amnesia: The Dark Descent. ...and its free DLC: Justine.
Avatar image for deactivated-5bb25204a1863
deactivated-5bb25204a1863

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-5bb25204a1863
Silent Hill 2 and Amnesia:The Dark Descent
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 turtlethetaffer

Silent Hill 2 and Amnesia:The Dark DescentPrimoVictoria

I thought Silent Hill 3 was far scarier. Playing them both in a row, SH2 seemed to be more about simply unsettling the player, while SH3 was more about flat out scaring the player.

BarbaricAvatar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#29 BarbaricAvatar
Member since 2006 • 1000 Posts

Alien vs Predator 1: Marine campaign.

avant8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 avant8
Maybe Aliens: Colonial Marines or Aliens vs Predator 3 ?
Nanomage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Nanomage
Member since 2011 • 2371 Posts
Penumbra BP and Amnesia.
insanekatze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 insanekatze
Horror wise I'd have to say Amnesia is great. The fact it doesn't want you to look at the monsters and you have no defense adds to the actual horror. Call of Cthulhu Dark Corners of the earth is good too. It follows the best of H.P. Lovecraft and it had an awesome insanity thing going on. Now the most disturbing game I have ever played so far is Afraid of Monsters. I think that was the title at least. A half life mod that was super scary and disturbing. It puts you in crazy environments and has these really odd moving enemies that just sort of make you shutter sometimes. The story line is pretty intense too. I would also say Cry of Fear is super scary. Its along the same lines as Afraid of Monsters.
freedom01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 109

#33 freedom01  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 3676 Posts
I though Fatal Frame was scary