The Playstation 2 is arguably the best system... ever.

• 106 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Decon5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 Decon5
Member since 2003 • 175 Posts

Think about it, the Playstation 2 has been out forever, the year 2000 to be exact. It as a whole has over 1,800 games on the market. Even recent games that are being developed, Guitar Hero World Tour, Spiderman: Web of Shadows and Star Wars The Force Unleashed come to mind.

Granted these may not be the best games, or the best looking, but the fact the Playstation 2 has been out for more than 8 years and still has games being made for it is amazing. On top of that, the Playstation 2 never had a MAJOR issue with the hardware. It's a fairly reliable system, I got mine in mid 2000 and it still runs perfectly. Even though I have had to clean the eye a few times, but I'll donate an hour or two of my time to get a piece of 8 year old hardware to work.

The Playstation 2 has also had over 140 MILLION units sold. I still see people buying new Playstation 2's every once in awhile, and it makes perfect sense that they do. The Playstation 2 has the best line-up for games, at least in my honest opinion.

Some of my favorite games of all time have been Playstation 2 games. Granted I'm a bit of an RPG nut, and the Playstation 2 feed to this addiction, I still believe that it has some of the best games out on the market, even still today. I constantly revisit my Playstation 2 to play titles from Final Fantasy X, X-2, and XII, Champions of Norrath, Sukioden, all the way to games like Devil May Cry 3, Siphon Filter, and Tony Hawks Pro Skater 2 & 3. This system offers the best of all worlds, and a friendly controller scheme.

In comparisson to today's consoles, I still believe the PS2 to be superior, at least for now. It has existed for a much longer time, has an extensive library of THOUSANDS of games, still runs some of today's titles, and so much more. The quality of the games can also rival games coming out as of recently.

I don't know if anyone else has seemed to notice this, but a fair portion of games being released lately, both console and PC, have been more focused on the aesthetic looks rather then the quality of the game and story. Bare in mind I have played most new releases of games, and quite enjoy a fair few of them. I've been addicted to Fallout 3 and FIFA 09 in the past week or so, so I'm also a modern day entrepreneur of games, but it seems like worse quality games have been produced for the newer systems. Some games are almost completley focused on graphics; the one thing I look for in a game is a compelling story, a structured gameplay, and some sort of soundtrack that can capture the elements of the game. (This doesn't apply to sports games, I look for different things in those)

But the synopsis is such that the Playstation 2 is in fact an amazing system, with a list of games that is nearly endless, and still manages to somehow suck away the free time I pretend to make myself have. This is just my opinion, I'm wondering if anyone else may share the same views as I do.

If you read the entire thing, thank you for taking the time to understand someone else's point of view, or maybe find someone else that shares the same overall perspective on gaming.

SpideR_CentS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2 SpideR_CentS
Member since 2006 • 4766 Posts
I would put the SNES & 360 over PS2
Magnotron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3 Magnotron
Member since 2007 • 37 Posts
Sorry but the N64 is the best. What was better than seeing your favorite games go into 3d, mario 64, donkey country 64, Star fox64, F-zero x. And brand new games like conker's bad fur day and banjo kazooie. There is no toping the N64
MFbronz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 MFbronz
Member since 2007 • 403 Posts

i would put the SNES as the best ever personally but the ps2 is top 5 easy

now console sales wise170 million consoles dont lie

z4twenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 z4twenny
Member since 2006 • 4898 Posts
^ i would've actually picked the nes/snes over the ps2. but thinking long and hard about it i'd say the ps2 probably ranks with nes/snes for sheer quantity of awesomeness. all 3 consoles have tons of great games. i can't speak for xbox as i refuse to pay for anything microsoft as i don't think they need anymore $. i'm repulsed enough by the fact that they've cornered the pc market, i don't think they need the console market either.
Nifty_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Nifty_Shark
Member since 2007 • 13137 Posts
After the SNES. PS2 is just a beautiful thing.
gixer750ws

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 gixer750ws
Member since 2007 • 112 Posts
ps2 for me also,loads of great games and also still play those old ps1 games too.
Decon5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Decon5
I'd have to say the SNES was more revolutionary, but the N64 was a much bigger impact. I'm not going to lie, the N64 probably took a good chunk of my childhood years just because of how fun it was. I'd have to rank the N64 up there with the PS2 in awesome.
Ugotownedo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Ugotownedo
Member since 2007 • 442 Posts
I'd say the SNES is. Then the PS2, then the N64.
nVidiaGaMer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 nVidiaGaMer
Member since 2006 • 7793 Posts

I would put the SNES & 360 over PS2SpideR_CentS

360 doesn't even have 10% of the high quality games that the PS2 has.

mohfrontline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11 mohfrontline
Member since 2007 • 5678 Posts

Based off those stats, it makes me want to buy a PS2.

But I still like my 360.

Toro_Nev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Toro_Nev
Member since 2008 • 1074 Posts
I would personally say the SNES and N64 were better than the PS2.
nVidiaGaMer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 nVidiaGaMer

Based off those stats, it makes me want to buy a PS2.

But I still like my 360.

mohfrontline

PS2 has more and better single player games but 360 is more based around online multiplayer.

PreLuDe_DuDe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 PreLuDe_DuDe
Member since 2004 • 513 Posts
I will combine the PS2 and PS1 as a whole and say playstations younger days have been memorable and classic.
PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18831 Posts

PS1 PS2 Snes

PS1 beats PS2 because it never got boring

nelfer320

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 nelfer320
Member since 2004 • 2867 Posts
I agree that the PS2 was a great console. However, out of all the games on that console, only two games interested me. God of War and Kingdom Hearts. That is why I never bought a PS2. Besides, I loved the N64 better and now the 360.
Boozette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Boozette
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
I concure! overall the best console yet. Easy to learn and master controller set ups. Endless number of games of all genres. Graphics that while not nearly as good as those of the next gen consoles are not neanderthal like. When i play ps1, snes, dreamcast, etc. i definitley know i am playing on an old system while the playstation2 is only a notch down from the next gen concoles (and i feel a step above the systems of its time [N64, GBA, and Xbox]). Not to mention how reliable the system was. Everyone i know owns a playstation 2 it seems, even people that aren't big on gaming. we have 3 in this house alone!
klidron02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 klidron02
Member since 2008 • 454 Posts

[QUOTE="SpideR_CentS"]I would put the SNES & 360 over PS2nVidiaGaMer

And it's just shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter. There are maybe 5 AAA games on the 360 that aren't FPS's, and maybe 2 of those aren't shooters.

Rigga911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Rigga911
Member since 2008 • 2429 Posts
umm Gamecube just owns everything ok!
nVidiaGaMer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 nVidiaGaMer

[QUOTE="nVidiaGaMer"]

[QUOTE="SpideR_CentS"]I would put the SNES & 360 over PS2klidron02

And it's just shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter after shooter. There are maybe 5 AAA games on the 360 that aren't FPS's, and maybe 2 of those aren't shooters.

Wrong. Most of the games aren't shooters.

Needles-Kane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Needles-Kane
Member since 2004 • 2040 Posts
Yep it is, now that sony discontinued the 60gb PS3.
bigM10231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#22 bigM10231
Member since 2008 • 11240 Posts

my top 5

#1 n64

#2 PS2

#3 SNES

#4 GC

#5 genasis

Ghost_702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Ghost_702
Member since 2006 • 7405 Posts
I think that the PS2 has a lot of good games, but it is not the best system ever.
dark_orb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#24 dark_orb
Member since 2004 • 1503 Posts
I'd generally have to agree with you. From a hardware standpoint the ps2 has been one of the better systems to date, especially since they discontinued the 60 Gb PS3. Back when it was released in 2000 it really was something to behold and while microsoft and Nintendo would release systems that were better in terms of graphical ability the ps2 had a library better then either the xbox or the gamecube. Once you count in the perfect backwards compatibility with ps1 titles it really was the best system of the previous console generation. It was the first system that made the previous system completely obsolete as there was no real reason to keep your ps1 after you got a ps2. That's something I wish I could say about the ps3 or the 360, the Wii does great with Gamecube games but personally I haven't owned or wanted a Nintendo console after the SNES.
podliver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 podliver
Member since 2007 • 1765 Posts

I prefer Xbox actually...(original, not 360)

I don't know why, but I just can't get into PS2 games. Maybe it's because I like a lot of shooters, which the Xbox seems to do better personally (mainly in graphics)

shaji84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 shaji84
Member since 2005 • 314 Posts
I'll have to agree with you because of one point..games. Too many people talk about how awesome graphics or hardware is but it's really down to the games. I don't know about SNES, but PS2 definately seems to have the most/best games out there. N64 is close, but it still can't match the sheer amount of good games the PS2 had. I think the 360 will be up there also by the end of it's life because there is no doubting that it has a very expansive and a very good library just right now.
Nifty_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Nifty_Shark
Member since 2007 • 13137 Posts

I don't know why, but I just can't get into PS2 games. Maybe it's because I like a lot of shooters, which the Xbox seems to do better personally (mainly in graphics)

podliver

pst... it's because the dualshock is terrible compared to Xbox pads for shooters

podliver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 podliver
[QUOTE="podliver"]

Nifty_Shark

pst... it's because the dualshock is terrible compared to Xbox pads for shooters

Ah, yes. the PS2 analog sticks have big lumps that stick UP INTO YOUR FINGERS while xbox controllers have little concaved areas where your thumbs fit in so comfortably...

SHERBO64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 SHERBO64
Member since 2008 • 82 Posts

dude best system? we're not just gonna ignore reliability. But ps2 was up there, because it had so many games. but snes i would say has more all-time great games

Decon5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Decon5

I don't understand this last post...

Are you saying the PS2 isn't reliable or what?

podliver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 podliver

Decon5

I think he's trying to say that a PS2 is more reliable than a SNES or 360 (especially 360s, with so many people who got the red ring o death and all)

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#32 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

at the rate at which wii gained to 1000 plus games id put wii in front of it,

think about it , if wii has over 1000 games and only has been out for 2 yrs or less as of nov 21 is 2 yrs ,

so by the time wii is 4 years it will have 3000 or more lol ,

Needles-Kane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Needles-Kane
Member since 2004 • 2040 Posts

^^^LOL

It has a handful of nintendo's standard rehashes and a handful of good 3rd party games

doubutsuteki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 doubutsuteki
Member since 2004 • 3425 Posts

Sorry but the N64 is the best. What was better than seeing your favorite games go into 3d, mario 64, donkey country 64, Star fox64, F-zero x. And brand new games like conker's bad fur day and banjo kazooie. There is no toping the N64 Magnotron

What's so great about seeing most of what Nintendo was go down the drain?

Ever had a SNES? It has at least 50 times as many good games.

Skylarkell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Skylarkell
Member since 2007 • 2797 Posts

SNES

PS2

N64

Ps2 is very close though but nothing beats the magic that SNES had.

I loved certain games on the N64, especially Paper Mario and etc. but the Ps2 is excellent in its own way.

kemar7856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#36 kemar7856
Member since 2004 • 11783 Posts
NES
staindcoldlp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 staindcoldlp
Member since 2004 • 15121 Posts

Decon5

Actually that was my main argument for it being not the best system ever. The first PS2 models had some of the worst reliability for the time. I've owned plenty of consoles over my years, and the only console I had ever even had to buy twice because of a malfunction not caused by my own doing, was the PS2. Granted, my PS2 Slim has been working flawlessly since I picked it up over 3 years when it first came out, but I shouldn't have had to buy one in the first place. PS2 "Disc Red Error" messages were so common that they needed a stickied thread back when the PS2 board was around just to contain all the threads into one thread.

Now I love my PS2 a lot and it is one of my favorite consoles, but that reliabilty was a big issue I had/have with the PS2.

damaster101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38 damaster101
Member since 2005 • 1476 Posts

I'd have to say the PS1.Honestly Crash Bandicoot, Spyro,MGS and of course the legendary Abes Exoddus and although oddysee was good it was just miles better and Exoddus is still excellent today, i hope no one missed that game.I only wish i got to experience N64 more because Smash Bros and Mario Kart were awesome.

But i can see where your coming from its hard to believe the fact after 8 years there still making games even nintendo 64 had a few games being made in 2000.Although i didn't get to play to much PS2 i played quite a few DBZ games and a few others but thats it i had an xbox instead of a PS2.

z4twenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#39 z4twenny
Member since 2006 • 4898 Posts
[QUOTE="Decon5"]

staindcoldlp

Actually that was my main argument for it being not the best system ever. The first PS2 models had some of the worst reliability for the time. I've owned plenty of consoles over my years, and the only console I had ever even had to buy twice because of a malfunction not caused by my own doing, was the PS2. Granted, my PS2 Slim has been working flawlessly since I picked it up over 3 years when it first came out, but I shouldn't have had to buy one in the first place. PS2 "Disc Red Error" messages were so common that they needed a stickied thread back when the PS2 board was around just to contain all the threads into one thread.

Now I love my PS2 a lot and it is one of my favorite consoles, but that reliabilty was a big issue I had/have with the PS2.

funny that you say this, i have an old fat ps2 and it still runs fine. im picking up another ps2 in the next week or so since i have a ton of games i have yet to play and don't wanna worry about it in the future.

Decon5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Decon5

A lot of people I've talked to still have their old fat PS2 for 5+ years and it still runs great.

So reliability? It's more reliable than most systems on the market today.

NIkoscho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#41 NIkoscho
Member since 2007 • 459 Posts
I total agree with the author. Till this time the PlayStation 2 is the best system for gaming.
BladesOfAthena

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 BladesOfAthena
Member since 2008 • 3938 Posts

Ugh....the number of SNES/N64 fans trying to foist their divergent opinions onto the OP is nauseating.

Anywho, I agree 200% with the OP. Nothing beats the PS2. Best library. Best LTD. Best controller. Best everything.

-starman-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 -starman-
Member since 2008 • 2822 Posts

of consoles from the 2000s I have a Wii and a PS2, and they both compete equally for my time.

there's so many titles for the PS2, and the games are still quality.

definitely one of the best systems of all time.

Josh5890

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Josh5890
Member since 2007 • 1025 Posts
I'll be honest. I am a big time old school nintendo fanboy. The amazing list a games are great for the NES, SNES, and the N64. Playing them again on the Virtual Console is awsome. But the PS2 is a console that will forever be in my heart. Playing great games like GTA, THPS3, NBA Street (the original), and other games are fantastic. I'll be honest, there are still a ton of PS2 games that I have yet to play, like MGS, FF10 and maybe 12, GOW, and plenty of others. I am in no hurry to pick up a PS3 as I am still enjoying my PS2. My only problem with the PS2 is that as it came out, it was the begining of the end for Crash and Spyro. I have yet to play their PS One classics as well.
Hseptic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Hseptic
Member since 2003 • 1566 Posts
I totally agree with the TC... the ps2 was the pinnacle of the playstation era
vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#47 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts
Arguably? Theres no argument to be had, it is with out doubt the best game system, so far.
BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#48 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts
I'd put the Super Nintendo and PS1 ahead of the PS2. Their games are just more fun to play
ryaxnb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 ryaxnb
Member since 2004 • 118 Posts

The Rankings, in order of Original Coolness:

1. NES; The Super Mario series, the evolution of platformers, supported for 11 years in Japan, thousands of games
  2. PS2; The quality of games, the # of games, the impressive-for-the-time graphics, the DVD drive;
  3. Genesis; the quality of games; the # of games, the long-lasting appeal (third-world especially) and the birth of Sonic
  4. ColecoVision; First arcade-quality games; Plenty of arcade classics; Many innovative features
  5. Game Boy; First popular handheld; # of games; long-lasting; Tetris.
  6. 3D0; First powerful 3d system; first system with decent 3d capability; first 3d action-adventure, survival horror, and sports games
  7. Game Boy Advance; Great power; Finest 2d chip in almost any system, handheld or console; # of games; quality of games; # of SNES and NES remakes; lasting power, still popular today
  8. SNES; Great Nintendo Titles; Lots of games, though not as many as NES; Zelda: Link To The Past, Super Metroid, and Super Mario World 2 are "trifecto" of killer games; first major polygon game that was very succesful (Star Fox)
  9. 2600; It invented the market. Duh.

The rankings, in order of staying power today and viewed through today's lenses:

1. PS2
  2. NES
  3. Genesis
  4. Game Boy Advance
  5. 2600
  6. N64
  7. Dreamcast
  8. SNES
BLBLAKERS10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 BLBLAKERS10
Member since 2007 • 1280 Posts
Wow!! What has the 360 done? No wear near the success of the PS2..