The new Oblivion killer?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Blue_Tomato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 116

User Lists: 0

#1 Blue_Tomato
Member since 2002 • 1585 Posts

After trying The Witcher I'm left unsatisfied in terms of open ended sandbox RPG gaming. I'm looking for the next "Oblivion", but so far nothing. Two Worlds was trying hard, but a step back in many ways, not forward. The whole sandbox RPG genre seems quite dry for long time in fact...

Anyone has their eyes on any such game coming up on the horizon?

dgbiker1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 dgbiker1
Member since 2003 • 2139 Posts

After trying The Witcher I'm left unsatisfied in terms of open ended sandbox RPG gaming. I'm looking for the next "Oblivion", but so far nothing. Two Worlds was trying hard, but a step back in many ways, not forward. The whole sandbox RPG genre seems quite dry for long time in fact...

Anyone has their eyes on any such game coming up on the horizon?

Blue_Tomato
Fallout? It's based on the oblivion engine.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
You tried Morrowind or Daggerfall? Those are far more "open-ended" than Oblivion. You will probably heavily dislike the combat but you said you wanted an Oblivion killer.
jalexbrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 jalexbrown
Member since 2006 • 11432 Posts
The Morrowind world is much better than the Oblivion world (far, far better), but most of the gameplay in Oblivion is better. It's more focused (that also explains why the world is less open-ended, because Bethesda actually took points of gameplay and focused on them with Oblivion). Overall, if you want a more open world, I suggest Morrowind. You may not like the gameplay as much, but the world itself is much, much better.
Blue_Tomato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 116

#5 Blue_Tomato
Member since 2002 • 1585 Posts

You tried Morrowind or Daggerfall? Those are far more "open-ended" than Oblivion. You will probably heavily dislike the combat but you said you wanted an Oblivion killer.foxhound_fox

Actually I had upcoming new games in mind, not old games...... :)

jalexbrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 jalexbrown
Member since 2006 • 11432 Posts

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]You tried Morrowind or Daggerfall? Those are far more "open-ended" than Oblivion. You will probably heavily dislike the combat but you said you wanted an Oblivion killer.Blue_Tomato

Actually I had upcoming new games in mind, not old games...... :)

As far as upcoming games, I'm not totally sure. I love the whole sandbox RPG genre, and I don't know of any coming out off the top of my head. I think the Elder Scrolls series pretty much has the genre on lockdown at the moment.

VinnoT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 VinnoT
Member since 2003 • 4649 Posts
Id give Morrowing a try. It rather good. The graphics arent up there with Oblivion..but quite frankly I dont think that matters. And oh my word...I've just had a huge urge to play Morrowind. I think when I finish uni Im gonna give it a bash over christmas.
XBebop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 XBebop
Member since 2003 • 1414 Posts
Dragon Age by Bioware.
ElArab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#9 ElArab
Member since 2007 • 5754 Posts

stop mentioning games that aren't released yet! (only because you make me anticipate them lol, like Fallout 3 and Dragon Age.)

Anyway, try the previous Eldar Scrolls, like Morrowind.