The Gears of War 2 thread of chainsaws to the face! (56k warning)

• 159 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Dutch_Mix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1 Dutch_Mix
Member since 2005 • 29266 Posts

Gears of War 2 Logo

We're just a couple weeks away from Gears 2. Let's get some discussion going, shall we?

Published by:Microsoft

Developed by:Epic Games

Genre: Third-Person Shooter
Release Date:
US: November 7, 2008
Europe: November 7, 2008
Australia: November 7, 2008

MSRP: $59.99

Stuff

Rating: Mature (Blood and gore, intense violence, strong language)

"The gears of war continue to turn as Marcus Fenix and his squad of Cogs go back into action in the sequel to Microsoft and developer Epic Games' blockbuster action title. Gears of War 2 continues the story of Marcus Fenix and Delta Squad, locked in an increasingly desperate battle against the nightmarish Locust Horde for the survival of humanity. The game promises to be an epic saga of survival, loss, and retribution. Just as Gears of War set the standard for high-definition visuals, Gears of War 2 raises the bar even further with the amazing technological advances of Unreal Engine 3, delivering a bigger, badder, and more intense experience as the story continues."Other-Stuff

Features:

• Unparalleled gameplay. "Gears of War 2" takes the award-winning gameplay of the original and improves upon it in every way. The genre-defining cover system is further refined, making the "stop and pop" gameplay more intuitive. Dynamic cover is given new meaning as downed opponents can be picked up and used as shields. The intimate violence of the battlefield is heightened when combatants engage in chainsaw duels. Destructible environments and vicious new finishing moves add to the over-the-top experience.
  • Jaw-dropping visuals. "Gears of War 2" continues to raise the graphics bar through its breathtaking visual effects, made possible through advances in Unreal Engine 3.
  • Engaging experience that pulls you in and won't let go. "Gears of War 2" takes deep and immersive storytelling in video games to greater heights. Players connect with humanity's battle for survival on a personal level as they move through a story that introduces new characters and sheds light on the histories of familiar ones.
  • Expanded cooperative play. Team up with a friend to fight through the harrowing story of Delta Squad in the enhanced campaign mode, now featuring drop-in/drop-out gameplay, as well as individual player difficulty options. Or recruit four friends to battle in the new game mode "Horde," where you'll fight together to fend off a seemingly endless onslaught of Locust forces to attain the highest score.
  • Fierce and varied competitive multiplayer action. "Gears of War 2" features eight distinct multiplayer modes,2 including the new Wingman, Guardian and Submission modes, where up to 10 players choose a side and pit their courage and battlefield mettle directly against others. In addition, multiplayer bots are available to sharpen your skills offline or to fill out your online private matches on Xbox LIVE.
  • Party system and skill-based online matchmaking. New to "Gears of War 2" is a party system that allows players to form a full or partial team with friends and continue together from match to match without the need to reform after each game. "Gears of War 2" also supports a skill-based online matchmaking system, powered by TrueSkill, which groups players of similar skill level together in competitive multiplayer matches.

Box art:

Your browser may not support display of this image.

Last Day Trailer

Multiplayer Preview

Developer Interview:

The Creatures

Welcome To Delta

Every Gun Has A Story

The Sound Design

Interesting Stuff

Gears of War 2 Soundtrack Dated, Song List Revealed

"Sumthing Else Music Works announced today Gears of War 2 The Soundtrack will be released on November 25, 2008 to retail outlets through Nile Rodgers' Sumthing Else Music Works record label www.sumthing.com, and for digital download at www.sumthingdigital.com. Gears of War 2 The Soundtrack features a new original music score composed by Steve Jablonsky ("Transformers", "The Island", "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre") and recorded with the Skywalker Symphonic Orchestra and Chorus at the world famous Skywalker Sound. Below you can find the press release with the announcement along with the list of songs"

More information about: Offline PlayersMore information about: Online Multiplayer SupportMore information about: Online Cooperative SupportMore information about: Downloadable Content (DLC)More information about: Online LeaderboardsMore information about: Online Voice SupportMore information about: Enhanced Definition TV (EDTV) 480p SupportMore information about: High Definition TV (HDTV) 720p SupportMore information about: High Definition TV (HDTV) 1080i SupportMore information about: Widescreen 16:9More information about: Dolby 5.1 Surround Sound In-GameMore information about: Xbox 360 Exclusive

TeamXbox's 10 Things We Can Actually Tell You About Gears of War 2.

I'm still trying to get some screenshots up (HTML messages are killing me :x). If there's anything I left out, let me know.

Finally, I'm ripping this from the 360 board since it applies to everyone.

Concerning Gears of War 2:

This is a courtesy reminder for the users of this board to remind everyone that doing any of the following prior to the actual release date of the game (which as of the time of this posting is November 7th) will result in heavy moderation:

-Admission to owning a copy of the game.
-Asking for or providing a location for obtaining a copy of the game.
-Asking for or providing help with gameplay of a copy of the game.
-Posting any type of spoiler for the game's storyline, bosses, etc.
-Posting any links to videos or screenshots of the game from unofficial sources.

Taken from the shared board rules

Users on GameSpot will face suspension if they violate any of the above rules. These rules apply to everywhere on GameSpot including user video uploads and user profiles.

Soulreavercross

SemiMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 81

#2 SemiMaster
Member since 2006 • 19011 Posts

1.) This game will kick ass. Period.

2.) I hope that "The Horde" will be 4 player split screen cooperative... or at the very least 2. Man if it was 4 I'd die a happy man.

There is nothing else though that could dissappoint me about this game whatsoever.

inoperativeRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 inoperativeRS
Member since 2004 • 8844 Posts
I hope the campaign is a bit longer this time. I didn't like the multiplayer at all in the first one. Great thread Dutch!
Dutch_Mix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Dutch_Mix

I hope the campaign is a bit longer this time. I didn't like the multiplayer at all in the first one. Great thread Dutch!inoperativeRS

Same here. The MP in Gears 1 had some serious glitches. Thanks. :)

1.) This game will kick ass. Period.

2.) I hope that "The Horde" will be 4 player split screen cooperative... or at the very least 2. Man if it was 4 I'd die a happy man.

There is nothing else though that could dissappoint me about this game whatsoever.

SemiMaster

Yeah, Horde mode is going to be great. I'm going to probably try that out first.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44463 Posts
Awesome! Only about 2 weeks away now. I seriously can't wait to get this game. Bigger, better, and more badass indeed. Everything about this game is going to rock hard. Campaign, Horde, and multiplayer are all going to be a blast.
rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts

Have you guys seen thisGears of War 2 Leaked Boss Battle? Amazing stuff.

Rampanterage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 Rampanterage
Member since 2003 • 2215 Posts
I already preorder it, Amazon will be knocking at my door Nov 12th...and Cod5 on Nov 17th. I'm shooting some bullets this Holidays!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!HAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HiResDes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 HiResDes
Member since 2004 • 5919 Posts
Unlike you guys I loved Gears of War multiplayer, the only that really pissed me off besides host advantage, was how often teammates would dropout and having to play the rest of the game at a disadvantage. Not being able to use my shotgun as widely is also discouraging, as it was by far my favorite weapons, and my favorite map (Raven Down) was really nothing more than a shotgun showdown.
UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#9 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

I personally thought that Gears of War was a rather good, but ultimately wholly forgettable romp. I enjoyed the game, but at no point was I having a blast. I'm undecided on Gears 2 at this point. I'm not getting it at full price, that's for sure. Might pick it up when it hits the bargain bin which, admittedly, won't be any time soon.

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
Loved the first game, though it had some issues they were overshadowed by how much sheer fun the game can provide. Look forward to this one. I hope the single player campaign is a bit longer and that theres an insane difficulty in this one for me to beat as well.
RushMetallica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 RushMetallica
Member since 2007 • 4501 Posts
Gonna be great, I was hoping for some way to still be able to host but have fair connection, but it looks like that won't happen.
Avatar image for AtomicTangerine
AtomicTangerine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 AtomicTangerine
Member since 2005 • 4413 Posts

Unlike you guys I loved Gears of War multiplayer, the only that really pissed me off besides host advantage, was how often teammates would dropout and having to play the rest of the game at a disadvantage. Not being able to use my shotgun as widely is also discouraging, as it was by far my favorite weapons, and my favorite map (Raven Down) was really nothing more than a shotgun showdown.HiResDes

Yeah, I'm surprised to hear that people DON'T like it to be honest. As long as the connection was good, it was a unique and awesome game. But since we are talking about Gears 2, any info on how the games will be set up? Will it still have lobbies and such or go the Halo route with parties you take into different playlists? I hope it turns out more like COD4 than Halo 3 to be honest.

Travo_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Travo_basic
Member since 2003 • 38751 Posts

Sadly, my friend, who I played the heck out of Gears 1 with, will be gone. I'm still gonna enjoy the single player experience.

Good thread, Dutch.

Prodigy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Prodigy_basic
Member since 2002 • 3808 Posts

this is a no-brainer for me...it's a sure pick-up on the day it's released...

rragnaar

i'm tempted to click on the link, but ultimately i've decided to stay away from videos showing too much footage of the game, as i want the campaign experience to be as fresh as possible...the only extended video i've seen of the game is that brumak part that cliffy showed...

to show how spoiler-free i want gears 2 to be - as much as i liked the "mad world" commercial from the first gears, i was definitely a little disappointed seeing that spider boss that ended up being in the actual game...it might have been the best boss fight too, but it wasn't as surprising as it would have been had i not seen that commercial...

Solid_Snake_7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Solid_Snake_7
Member since 2004 • 3398 Posts
I read a while back about the new Chainsaw Duel thing were if both players were to run up to each other and chainsaw one another they would have to tap a button fast to win the duel. Is that the way it is or am i missing some info? Because if this were to be the case then it would ruin the game, as i've seen first hand the increasing number of online players using one of those turbo controllers (mainly in Call Of Duty 4) that could render the notion of rapidly pressing a button useless.
Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Archangel3371

[QUOTE="HiResDes"]Unlike you guys I loved Gears of War multiplayer, the only that really pissed me off besides host advantage, was how often teammates would dropout and having to play the rest of the game at a disadvantage. Not being able to use my shotgun as widely is also discouraging, as it was by far my favorite weapons, and my favorite map (Raven Down) was really nothing more than a shotgun showdown.AtomicTangerine

Yeah, I'm surprised to hear that people DON'T like it to be honest. As long as the connection was good, it was a unique and awesome game. But since we are talking about Gears 2, any info on how the games will be set up? Will it still have lobbies and such or go the Halo route with parties you take into different playlists? I hope it turns out more like COD4 than Halo 3 to be honest.

I loved the multiplayer in the first game as well. More times then not I had great connections so the games I played were always very good. It was incredibly addictive. I'd always say "just one more game" but of course I would keep playing until the wee hours of the morning. I'm also really interested in hearing more details on the multiplayer aspect.
Mash_Affect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Mash_Affect
Member since 2008 • 631 Posts
I already preorder it, Amazon will be knocking at my door Nov 12th...and Cod5 on Nov 17th. I'm shooting some bullets this Holidays!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!HAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Rampanterage
The people that pre-ordered it on Amazon get it a week later? I thought they usually arrive the day of release. If not, I need to tell my friend about this because he pre-ordered on Amazon as well. It's already killing him that he's going to miss the midnight release.
Mash_Affect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Mash_Affect

I personally thought that Gears of War was a rather good, but ultimately wholly forgettable romp. I enjoyed the game, but at no point was I having a blast. I'm undecided on Gears 2 at this point. I'm not getting it at full price, that's for sure. Might pick it up when it hits the bargain bin which, admittedly, won't be any time soon.

UpInFlames

If I had played the game alone, I would probably have to agree. As a former PC gamer, I usually feel that exact way about most action games that can be found on consoles. However, with XBL, a good co-op partner, and/or a dedicated team of friends to play team deathmatch with, the game is an absolute blast. Gears 2 is easily my most anticipated game and has been since its announcement.

I think if we were to have a GGD Gears 2 night, you would see just how fun this sort of game can be. If anyone wants to take part in setting something like this up, I'd like to be a part of it.

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 GodModeEnabled
I think if we were to have a GGD Gears 2 night, you would see just how fun this sort of game can be. If anyone wants to take part in setting something like this up, I'd like to be a part of it,Mash_Affect
Im up for getting something like this together. A bunch of us had a ridiculous amount of fun playing Halo 3 together when it came out so doing something similar would be fun.
Dutch_Mix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Dutch_Mix

I'll be playing Gears 2 online about an hour after the game comes out. Midnight launch, FTW! :D

rragnaar

Must not watch! Argh! :cry:

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 rragnaar

I'll be playing Gears 2 online about an hour after the game comes out. Midnight launch, FTW! :D

[QUOTE="rragnaar"]

Dutch_Mix

Dooooo it! It isn't too spoilerish or anything, but it is awesome awesome.

_Dez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 _Dez_
Member since 2006 • 2398 Posts

Definitely a day one purchase. I've been eagerly anticipating a good co-op game like this for some time. The first one played so well co-operatively, that I never bothered playing the game on solo, or the multiplayer for that matter. I would definitely like to try out some multiplayer this time around. Playing Halo 3 last year with the people in this thread was a lot of fun, so hopefully we can get some games together.

The first game had some really excellent pacing, so right now, the things I want to see improved are some better boss battles and a lengthier campaign. Expectations high :D

Dutch_Mix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Dutch_Mix
[QUOTE="Dutch_Mix"]

[QUOTE="rragnaar"]

rragnaar

"We're sorry, but this video is no longer available"

Dutch Mix is a sad panda. :(

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Archangel3371
[QUOTE="rragnaar"][QUOTE="Dutch_Mix"]

[QUOTE="rragnaar"]

Dutch_Mix

"We're sorry, but this video is no longer available"

Dutch Mix is a sad panda. :(

Aww just when I was about to break down and watch it. Not! :P I'll scooping this up at midnight as well.
GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 GodModeEnabled

This is the series that I really am missing out on cause of no 360. Gears 1 and 2 will be instant buys whenever I get a 360, which at this rate will be 2015. :P

dvader654
In 2015 we'll all be slaves to the master race of alien pop tarts! GIT 1 B4 IT 2 LATE!!  Waaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!! *runs*
S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#27 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

This is the series that I really am missing out on cause of no 360. Gears 1 and 2 will be instant buys whenever I get a 360, which at this rate will be 2015. :P

dvader654

Good. I'll buy it from you. Let's hope Ebay is around till 2015.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 rragnaar

Here is the final trailer for the game:

Final Gears of War 2 Trailer Full of Gameplay, Explosions, Juice

D3s7rUc71oN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 D3s7rUc71oN
Member since 2004 • 5180 Posts

rragnaar

:shock:

This is probably my most anticipated game of the holidays, I can't freaking wait! Everything else will have to wait.

_Dez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 _Dez_

Wow, what an amazing looking trailer! It's hard not to get excited for this game after that. Just a little bit over a week left!

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Archangel3371

rragnaar
Freakin' awesome trailer. It has win written all over it.
Bigboss232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32 Bigboss232
Member since 2006 • 4997 Posts
just next friday why is this taking soooo long alot of retailers have the game already.
Kreatzion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Kreatzion
Member since 2003 • 6468 Posts
Me and 6 other friends will be going to a midnight launch in preparation for this game. I can't wait any longer. I need more Cole.
Dutch_Mix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Dutch_Mix

rragnaar

Oh, man! I am soooo pumped for this game right now!

Next week can't come soon enough.

HiResDes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 HiResDes
SICK!...In a good way.
Mash_Affect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Mash_Affect
Having to wait for this game is torture. I haven't anticipated a game this much in almost a decade.
Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Archangel3371
Well the day is nearly upon us. Only about 4 more days until Gears of War 2 is released. Oh hell yeah! Anyway the reviews are starting to come in and unsurprisingly they are so far excellent. Eurogamer gave it a 9/10, 1up gave it an A, IGN a 9.5, and Gamertrailers gave it a 9.5 as well. Freakin' awesome! Sorry that I didn't provide links to the reviews.
HiResDes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 HiResDes
Yeah how isn't this thread on the first page right now, all of the reviews are out, and we have yet another game average 9's virtually across the board. Either reviewers are getting really soft, or this is indeed the greatest year in gaming ever.
Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Archangel3371
Yeah how isn't this thread on the first page right now, all of the reviews are out, and we have yet another game average 9's virtually across the board. Either reviewers are getting really soft, or this is indeed the greatest year in gaming ever.HiResDes
Looks like this game could be a sleeper hit. :P I'm going to say that this has been the greatest year for gaming yet.
Dutch_Mix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Dutch_Mix

[QUOTE="HiResDes"]Yeah how isn't this thread on the first page right now, all of the reviews are out, and we have yet another game average 9's virtually across the board. Either reviewers are getting really soft, or this is indeed the greatest year in gaming ever.Archangel3371
Looks like this game could be a sleeper hit. :P

Yeah, where's the hype for this game? This is the sequel to 2006's GOTY. :?

BladesOfAthena

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 BladesOfAthena
Member since 2008 • 3938 Posts
The first one didn't quite blow me away however I'm still looking to give their second entry a second shot. Judging from the trailers I've seen, it looks really intense and thrilling.
SemiMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 81

#42 SemiMaster
Member since 2006 • 19011 Posts

The only thing that dissappointed me thus far...

That lame commercial that aired during the Pats/Colts game.

Mad World was better.

Mash_Affect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Mash_Affect

Yeah how isn't this thread on the first page right now, all of the reviews are out, and we have yet another game average 9's virtually across the board. Either reviewers are getting really soft, or this is indeed the greatest year in gaming ever.HiResDes
9s across the board? the LOWEST scores this game has been receiving are 9s. The rest are between 9.5 and 10.

The GGD took quite a hit in recent times. I imagine you'll find much livelier Gears 2 threads elsewhere.

Come Thursday at midnight, I expect participating stores to be like an apocalyptic tsunami. Everyone I know is going to get this game.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 rragnaar

The GGD took quite a hit in recent times. I imagine you'll find much livelier Gears 2 threads elsewhere.

Mash_Affect

Agreed. Usually official threads don't usually get going good until the game is out. I also think people are too busy playing other games to post about Gears 2, but I suspect this thread will explode.

BladesOfAthena

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 BladesOfAthena
Member since 2008 • 3938 Posts

9s across the board? the LOWEST scores this game has been receiving are 9s. The rest are between 9.5 and 10.

Come Thursday at midnight, I expect participating stores to be like an apocalyptic tsunami. Everyone I know is going to get this game.

Mash_Affect

I wish I can join you guys in the Gears 2 fest, but I am broke at the moment so I'll just be watching from the sidelines.:(

Prodigy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Prodigy_basic
Member since 2002 • 3808 Posts

count me among those caught up in the hype...this game is mine first thing friday morning, and i don't see myself taking more than a couple days to go through the campaign so i can jump in online right away...

littlebigplanet looks to be the ps3's big hit of the year, and it's a stickied thread, so why isn't this one as well? i actually bought littlebigplanet yesterday but i'm not sure i should start it yet considering that it will probably be set aside in favour of gears 2 once the weekend hits...

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Archangel3371
Wow I'm surprised the Gamespot review is up already. Anyway another excellent 9.0 review.
D3s7rUc71oN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 D3s7rUc71oN
Member since 2004 • 5180 Posts

count me among those caught up in the hype...this game is mine first thing friday morning, and i don't see myself taking more than a couple days to go through the campaign so i can jump in online right away...

littlebigplanet looks to be the ps3's big hit of the year, and it's a stickied thread, so why isn't this one as well? i actually bought littlebigplanet yesterday but i'm not sure i should start it yet considering that it will probably be set aside in favour of gears 2 once the weekend hits...

Prodigy_basic

I've played a little bit of LBP and I think you can play it along with another game (like GH or RB2 is what I've been doing), from the little of what I've played its not a complicated game so far...

I've read GS' review and it seems that Horde mode supports up to 5 players, and each individual player can play at the difficulty they choose to. I think I'll be skipping work on Friday :P

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Archangel3371
[QUOTE="Prodigy_basic"]

D3s7rUc71oN

I've played a little bit of LBP and I think you can play it along with another game (like GH or RB2 is what I've been doing), from the little of what I've played its not a complicated game so far...

I've read GS' review and it seems that Horde mode supports up to 5 players, and each individual player can play at the difficulty they choose to. I think I'll be skipping work on Friday :P

I think it's just the co-op campaign mode that has independant difficulty settings. Either way that sounds like a pretty cool function and Horde mode sounds like a seriously rocking multiplayer match type.
_Dez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 _Dez_

I'm not too worried about finding a copy, but I hope I can pick one up at Circuit City. You get a 1600 MS point card with your purchase, which sounds like an awesome deal. I just hope they're not all gone when work is over.

All the reviews that have been coming out for this game sound fantastic. Looking at some of the video reviews, while this is coming from my small monitor, the visuals look noticeably more vibrant and colorful. Hearing that the story is more fleshed out sounds great with all the little tidbits of collectable information available. This game sounds like it's packed with tons of content.

Anybody else playing through the Gears campaign in anticipation? I can't be the only one.