The future of consoles

This topic is locked from further discussion.

tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 tjricardo089
Member since 2010 • 7429 Posts

Hi guys. So... what do you think is the future of consoles?

1. Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft will join and create the last console ever to be made
  2. Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft will keep producing Wii's, Playstation's and Xbox's over and over and over
  3. Consoles + PC = Future of Gaming
  4. Consoles will come incorporated on the TV, because we will need no controllers to play
  5. None of the above

(Pick a number, and give me a good argument, write whatever you want, I like to read :P)

DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 DarkCatalyst
Member since 2002 • 20968 Posts
2, or I stop gaming.
Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44226 Posts
I would definitely go with number 2 as my preference because it gives me the freedom of choice as in what games I want and which platform version.
XIntoTheBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 XIntoTheBlue
Member since 2009 • 1070 Posts
As long as there is money to made in this corner of the economy, then they will continue to produce their consoles. Only bad business decisions will ultimately become a console's downfall.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#5 AvatarMan96
Member since 2010 • 7324 Posts

Most likely 2, look how far they have come by doing this over and over

tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 tjricardo089

Honestly, I would prefer number 1. One console to every gamer... more games, bigger community. The end of system wars. Just sayin'

lensflare15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 lensflare15
Member since 2010 • 6652 Posts

2, or I stop gaming.DarkCatalyst

Same, only I'll just stick with my older systems.

kingkarl123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 kingkarl123
Member since 2011 • 192 Posts

Consoles are just going to become more and more powerfull, with more and more unique features added. I hope too god they never ever totally get rid of controllers, as i could not be arsed to play all games like you do on the kinect.

fubbal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 377

#9 fubbal
Member since 2008 • 460 Posts

i say number 3

these new console are almost cheap pcs anyways

I mean from a console you can play video games,browse the net,rent movies,play movies,and do other things

people can call me crazy but with consoles doing all this

I honestly think they will eventually replace pcs.

Lord_Warsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Lord_Warsaw
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

This man speaks sense.

tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 tjricardo089

I honestly think they will eventually replace pcs.

fubbal

Don't count on that mate.. you see I would not trade Windows Media Player for the crappy player on the PS3/360... Are you gonna make your documents on a console hm? Instead of working places with pc's, we have consoles? Kind of crazy if you ask me... try to write an entire page with console keypad, and then with the keyboard... just sayin'

NirdBerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 NirdBerd
Member since 2007 • 2113 Posts

I fear for the future of gaming, I don't know how to explain it, some of your points help explain my point, but I don't really know where to start.

Definitely number 2. Just make the games even bigger and even better, I hope controller free or motion gaming (motions ok actually, no further beyond that) doesn't become the norm--or anything of the sort...

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17826 Posts
theres a few ways i see it going (talking 10-20 years here) 1) your option 2 TC. ninty, MS and sony will continue to make their consoles, competition will be minimal and life goes on. 2) an open standard is introduced that allows anyone to make a console. 3rd parties are delighted and jump on board in droves. MS, sony, and ninty are forced to adopt it or become irrelevant. 3) services like onlive *spit* completly take over. games piracy and second hand sales are dead but so are consoles and gaming PCs. these services will be like your TV provider....a cable plugging into another port in the back of your telly. a wide variety of controllers from many companies will be made for these services (some of which will be official..some not). 4) consoles and handhelds merge. no more box under the telly. no more pocket sized handheld either. hanehelds will instead turn into something the size of an iPAD (perhaps a bit chunkier) that pack a fair bit of punch and that can communicate with your TV wirelessly so you can play games on that if you want. apple *spit* have already done it to a degree i think.
Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

2. Because it works extremely well for them now and more than likely always will. Doing these things in this gen are what really got them into every home. Before,video games were just played by "nerds" as everyone saw it. Now its almost the biggest industry in the world and everyone wants a part of it

edinsftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 edinsftw
Member since 2009 • 4243 Posts

The future of consoles is up in the air, they are becoming more like computers, or tablets in the WiiU's case lol

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22378 Posts
Yeah I agree... Otherwise I'd buy a gaming PC.
Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#17 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo will keep producing new and improved versions of the PlayStation, Xbox and Wii. They're not going to join forces and make a single console because they're separate corporations and that would be completely nonsensical in a capitalist economy. They're not going to incorporate the upgrade-ability of a PC because that would kill the main selling point of consoles - put a game in and it works. No extra money to spend on the latest hardware, no compatibility problems - just stick the disk in and start playing.

tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 tjricardo089

Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo will keep producing new and improved versions of the PlayStation, Xbox and Wii. They're not going to join forces and make a single console because they're separate corporations and that would be completely nonsensical in a capitalist economy. They're not going to incorporate the upgrade-ability of a PC because that would kill the main selling point of consoles - put a game in and it works. No extra money to spend on the latest hardware, no compatibility problems - just stick the disk in and start playing.

Jackc8

Can't wait to buy a Playstation 203 to my grandson... who knows maybe I'll get him an Xbox 1992830

Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 107

#19 Demonjoe93
Member since 2009 • 9869 Posts

2, every other choice (excluding 5 of course) would soon mean the death of gaming.

tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 tjricardo089

Producing consoles over and over and over, doesn't seems correct...

volchcha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 volchcha
Member since 2008 • 150 Posts

After the next big video game crash, Sony and Microsoft will halt production of new consoles, 1st party exclusives, etc because they have other divisions of the company to fall back on. The only one making games will once again be Nintendo.