The Evil Within - Story?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

Can someone just quickly summarize what this game is about story wise without completely spoiling the story for me?

The reason I ask is because I don't like playing games that feature demonic supernatural creatures, ghosts etc. But having looked online it seems that there's a machine that links you to ruvik's brain and takes you to his nightmarish world he has created.

Can anyone confirm that? Cheers. I'm really interested in this game.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

I'm half way into the game and it seems there is a machine that amplifies Ruvik's psychic abilities and he uses them to attack the player. Why would you care if they are demons or ghosts? are u some kind of religious nutjob?

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By BattleSpectre
@Krelian-co said:

I'm half way into the game and it seems there is a machine that amplifies Ruvik's psychic abilities and he uses them to attack the player. Why would you care if they are demons or ghosts? are u some kind of religious nutjob?

First of all thank you very much for the reply and answering my question, I appreciate it. Secondly, I am just a nutjob anyway so no, there's no hope for me out there ;). But to answer your question it's just personal choice. Just like some people don't like playing horror games because they're scared I don't like getting myself involved with demonic things.

May I ask what you think of the game so far? See I just finished Alien Isolation and I didn't like it whatsoever. The game was way too long and just seemed to drag on and on, I also found for me the game got worse as it carried on. I just didn't have a good experience with Isolation at all and was glad when I pushed myself to finish it.

I didn't really like Aliens difficulty level either, I found that I died a lot and that took away the enjoyment from the game, I don't mind a challenging game but I just felt Isolation felt cheap at times with it's deaths. Anyways I'm worried The Evil Within may be the same deal here, and that it's difficulty may take away from my enjoyment?

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Krelian-co

@BattleSpectre said:
@Krelian-co said:

First of all thank you very much for the reply and answering my question, I appreciate it. Secondly, I am just a nutjob anyway so no, there's no hope for me out there ;). But to answer your question it's just personal choice. Just like some people don't like playing horror games because they're scared I don't like getting myself involved with demonic things.

May I ask what you think of the game so far? See I just finished Alien Isolation and I didn't like it whatsoever. The game was way too long and just seemed to drag on and on, I also found for me the game got worse as it carried on. I just didn't have a good experience with Isolation at all and was glad when I pushed myself to finish it.

I didn't really like Aliens difficulty level either, I found that I died a lot and that took away the enjoyment from the game, I don't mind a challenging game but I just felt Isolation felt cheap at times with it's deaths. Anyways I'm worried The Evil Within may be the same deal here, and that it's difficulty may take away from my enjoyment?

The game is good so far, is a next gen resident evil 4, it is kind of difficult but you can lower the difficult in the option menu. Haven't played alien isolation so i cannot comment on that.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#5 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I prefer this game to alien isolation.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 BattleSpectre

@sukraj said:

Yeah I hated Alien Isolation, the only good parts to me were the first few hours of the game, after that it became a big chore to play and I'm surprised I pushed myself to finish the whole game. I'm hoping The Evil Within can change all that, and leave a positive taste In my mouth.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#7 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

@BattleSpectre said:

@sukraj said:

Yeah I hated Alien Isolation, the only good parts to me were the first few hours of the game, after that it became a big chore to play and I'm surprised I pushed myself to finish the whole game. I'm hoping The Evil Within can change all that, and leave a positive taste In my mouth.

I haven't played alien isolation but I do know a lot about the game and I don't like playing a game that doesn't have many weapons and in alien isolation you have to play stealthy the whole time so its not my kinda game. I'm an hour into the evil within and its a fun little game.

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

@BattleSpectre: The reason I ask is because I don't like playing games that feature demonic supernatural creatures, ghosts etc. But having looked online it seems that there's a machine that links you to ruvik's brain and takes you to his nightmarish world he has created.

THis is actually kind of a spoiler. so you should probably hide it. It is correct but part of the early stages of the game is figuring out that none of what you're experiencing is really happening.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 BattleSpectre

@Ish_basic said:

@BattleSpectre: The reason I ask is because I don't like playing games that feature demonic supernatural creatures, ghosts etc. But having looked online it seems that there's a machine that links you to ruvik's brain and takes you to his nightmarish world he has created.

THis is actually kind of a spoiler. so you should probably hide it. It is correct but part of the early stages of the game is figuring out that none of what you're experiencing is really happening.

Thanks for the heads up I blocked it with the spoiler banner.

Avatar image for empiresdownfall
EmpiresDownfall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10 EmpiresDownfall
Member since 2013 • 63 Posts

That is correct. Ive heard that people think the story is convoluted and confusing, and while I dont entirely disagree, Ive beaten the game and I dont think it's too hard to follow along as long as youre paying attention.

It's a fantastic game and youre really doing yourself a horrible dis-service by not picking it up.

Spoilers;
I'm just confused about when youre actually hooked up to the device and why it doesnt affect Kidman. Who is she working for? How does she know more than I do, right from the start. If anybody could clear that up for me, that would be great!

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

@Krelian-co said:

@BattleSpectre said:
@Krelian-co said:

The game is good so far, is a next gen resident evil 4, it is kind of difficult but you can lower the difficult in the option menu. Haven't played alien isolation so i cannot comment on that.

Does it feature any puzzles or is it really more of an RE5 with RE4 atmosphere?

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Krelian-co

@MlauTheDaft said:

@Krelian-co said:

@BattleSpectre said:
@Krelian-co said:

it has "puzzles" but not really decent ones. God forbid players have to think more than 5 seconds.

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MlauTheDaft

@Krelian-co said:

@MlauTheDaft said:

@Krelian-co said:

@BattleSpectre said:
@Krelian-co said:

it has "puzzles" but not really decent ones. God forbid players have to think more than 5 seconds.

What a shame. I thought the puzzles were part of what made RE4 great. I know everyone loves shooting things, but it does get monotonous at times.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Krelian-co

@MlauTheDaft said:

@Krelian-co said:

@MlauTheDaft said:

@Krelian-co said:

@BattleSpectre said:
@Krelian-co said:

What a shame. I thought the puzzles were part of what made RE4 great. I know everyone loves shooting things, but it does get monotonous at times.

The game is not pure action, is a mix of stealth exploring and action, the puzzles are very weak but the game itself is worth it.

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 MlauTheDaft

@Krelian-co: Guess I should just look it up a bit on Youtube and decide from there. I suppose it's at least worth it on sale.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Krelian-co

@MlauTheDaft said:

@Krelian-co: Guess I should just look it up a bit on Youtube and decide from there. I suppose it's at least worth it on sale.

yeah, but if you liked resident evil 4 i am almost positive you will enjoy this one.