The Evil Within

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Zelda187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Zelda187
Member since 2005 • 1047 Posts

Everyone keeps babbling on about Titanfall, Infamous, etc.

What about The Evil Within? When the hell was the last time we had a legit, old school survival horror game? Dead Space is the only thing that can even come close.

Resident Evil has turned into an action series over the past 10 years, Silent Hill is fucking awful now, and Alone in the Dark is dead and buried.

My two most anticipated upcoming games: The Evil Within and The Division

Some-Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 Some-Mist
Member since 2009 • 5631 Posts

legit survival horror game(s):
the penumbra series
amnesia: tdd
amnesia: amfp

but yeah, you're not necessarily in the right place if you're looking for discussions outside of mainstream titles (titanfall, infamous, etc). after all, this is a mainstream message board.

plus... the best part of the game isn't that it's an old school survival horror game.. the best part is that it's made by shinji mikami.. so you know it's gonna be good.

it's been one of my most anticipated games since project zwei, and is easily my most anticipated next year next to armikrog. and broken age.

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#3  Edited By ZZoMBiE13
Member since 2002 • 22934 Posts

Evil Within looks brilliant. And given it's lineage, it likely will be brilliant. But it's kinda hard to build discussion when there isn't much info on the game available yet. Other than an admittedly exciting trailer, there's just not much to talk about yet.

It'll get it's due though. I think there are a good amount of people wanting this kind of experience as evidenced by how many indie horror titles have flown off their digital shelves. ;)

cooolio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 cooolio
Member since 2013 • 586 Posts

@dvader654: From what i could tell, in terms of gameplay mechanics, past resident evil games made you play like tank.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6  Edited By Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

@dvader654 said:

I feel that if you are expecting old school horror you are in for disappointment. This game looks way more RE4 than Old RE.

Pretty much this, it might have a little Silent Hill 1 mixed into it which I'm perfectly fine with that.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#7 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

@Some-Mist said:

but yeah, you're not necessarily in the right place if you're looking for discussions outside of mainstream titles (titanfall, infamous, etc). after all, this is a mainstream message board.

Ppsh, hipster. And besides, The Evil Within isn't exactly some sort of Indie game or anything. It's being published by Bethesda and gained a fair amount of attention at E3. I imagine the discussion has been low since not much else has been shown from it and it doesn't have an announced date aside from "2014", so it probably won't be released until the later half of the year. I'm sure more people will be excited by then for it, but it's not going to gain as much attention as these more "mainstream" games, not that I wouldn't call The Evil Within mainstream.

Some-Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Some-Mist

@SoNin360 said:

@Some-Mist said:

Ppsh, hipster. And besides, The Evil Within isn't exactly some sort of Indie game or anything. It's being published by Bethesda and gained a fair amount of attention at E3. I imagine the discussion has been low since not much else has been shown from it and it doesn't have an announced date aside from "2014", so it probably won't be released until the later half of the year. I'm sure more people will be excited by then for it, but it's not going to gain as much attention as these more "mainstream" games, not that I wouldn't call The Evil Within mainstream.

see, I find this funny.

Is a hipster in current gen gaming a real thing? Do they play current gen consoles? Did gaming hipsters just evolve this/last gen due to the popularity of gaming as a whole? I try not to make assumptions, but I would assume that a gaming hipster would stick to retro gaming (which I do love).

even you mentioned that the evil within isn't necessarily mainstream and that it won't garner as much attention as those more "mainstream games".

I would possibly agree depending on the definition, but I don't get it. please clarify.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#9 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

@Some-Mist: I'm just saying those games are more mainstream. More popular might be a better description. But it just seemed like you were making The Evil Within out to be some sort of unknown game that wouldn't be discussed in these "mainstream" message boards. I don't know, that line you said there just stood out as something a hipster would say and I just felt like poking fun at that. I guess the bottom line is that The Evil Within is well known enough to be regarded as one of 2014's "main" releases, and just because it isn't quite as popular as some of those aforementioned games doesn't mean a significant number of people aren't talking about it or excited for it. In fact, there's already another topic about this game on the front page of this board, and I've seen other topics about The Evil Within come and go on here.

Tobougg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#10 Tobougg
Member since 2013 • 56 Posts

@Zelda187: me too! but don't forget the 2 MGS games also. That will be me sorted. It's a shame that 90% of the gamer's nowadays are CoD multiplayer clones. Literally millions of copies of basically the same Let's player. They just watch some guy who's great at the games on youtube, then proceed to build their soldier identically to that of the one the great guy uses, and just tries to do everything he does, camping the same spots, using the same weapons, same perks etc. I mean, every single game you'll see a least 1 bellend trying to tomahawk across the map in Black Ops 1, and you'll see another guys trying to do jumping 360's to kill someone. I mean, noone online has a brain anymore. They don't play their own game, they just are clones. So titanfall is going to be a great game, ruined by people getting too good because they'll be watching youtube video's of amazing tactics befor they even power on the machine. So the fun of a new game coming out is wrecked. No more 16 noobs fumbling around the place having great fun, just a noob guy trying to learn and have fun, and 15 clones headshotting and tomahawking at lvl50 from across the map on the day of release because they've already played 1000 hours of the game in Beta... f*ck this world.

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#11  Edited By Mercenary848
Member since 2007 • 12139 Posts

im very excited for this game

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#12 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

Not my type of game.

Some-Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Some-Mist

@SoNin360: I see what you mean. There have been threads on here every once in awhile, and I notice TEW listed in maybe close to 25% of peoples "most anticipated" lists, but that's mainly by people who know who Shinji Mikami is. I have a feeling there won't be much marketing for the game - definitely not compared to the giants, and unless you know game designers and their backlog.. it's a bit difficult to find an interest in their games.

the other issue is that a lot people typically buy a game because they like what the company releases (or because it's an established title) - not because of the director of the game. No one knows who tango gameworks is because they haven't released anything, but if you know who mikami is.. you'd know that he directed/created resident evil, dino crisis, resident evil 4, god hand, vanquish then there might be a little more excitement.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@dvader654 said:

I feel that if you are expecting old school horror you are in for disappointment. This game looks way more RE4 than Old RE.

At this point RE4 -is- old RE. It's almost a decade old, it was originally released on consoles from two generations ago, and 8 RE games have been it came out (excluding the RE5 re-release).

Still, I get your point. At this point, though, there is so little in the genre that I'd even be happy with another RE4-style game over most of the crap that comes out these days.

-Byshop