Tales of Abyss VS Tales of Graces F

This topic is locked from further discussion.

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

I was wondering what people thought between the two. WHich has the better combat, story, and anything else you would like to compare.

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

lol

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 NaveedLife

lol

whiskeystrike

......That was not very constructive lol.

killerband55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 killerband55
Member since 2003 • 107961 Posts

that's a tough one, i guess i liked the characters more in Tales of the Abyss since one of the characters is voiced by Johnny Young Bosch (and he's awesome), but Tales of Graces f is amazing too, but i overall enjoyed Abyss due to the storyline and characters

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 whiskeystrike

Alright, alright... Tales of the Abyss is more in line with the other games as far as battle system goes. That is if you have played any of the others, you'll feel right at home with this combat system. Tales of Graces F feels the freshest (which it should as it's the latest NA/EU release) with a pretty cool new combat sytem. Every attack, even basic attacks take some measure of CC (the mana, skill point, or whatever system you want to call it) so you have to keep a good grasp on the system in order to build up effective combos. It replenishes quickly just by taking no action (literally just stand there lol) but replenishes even quicker by effectively blocking, dodging and counter attacking the enemies, rewarding the more techincal players. With Tales of the Abyss, you can just mash the regular combos with some artes over and over but it is still a fun battle system.

Graces F is a bit more closed off as far as exploration goes. Very simple to go from one place to the other, while Abyss follows the more traditional route of the Tales games of being very open, free to roam around endlessly. It can be both a good thing and frustrating thing, especially when you just want to get to the next bit of the story.

Tales of Graces has a lot more voice acting in it than Tales of the Abyss (good or bad is up to you).

The opening of Tales of Graces, roughly the first 4 hours is kind of lame and stretched out. You're forced to play through as an 11 year and you deal with 11 year old problems, mainly disobeying your dad (lol). The story gets much better once you jump ahead to being older and the characters improve as well but I can't not forewarn you of the beginning of Tales of Graces.

Abyss has a very stuck up protagonist for a while (you're going to want to slap him a few times) but things change in the story and he becomes a cool guy. It is pretty sweet to see his transformation in all honesty. The characters are more interesting and the story feels more thought out.

If I were to get just one I would probably get Tales of Graces. It's newer, feels fresher, don't have to worry about battery life, can play on the big screen and I prefer battle system to story anyways. You can't really go wrong with either though.

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 whiskeystrike

[QUOTE="whiskeystrike"]

lol

NaveedLife

......That was not very constructive lol.

We just keep running into each other over the same topic. Thought it was humorous :P

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#7 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

I've heard a lot of good things about TOG F, but for now, I'll go with Abyss, simply because I've beaten it and it's one of the best Tales games I've played from start to finish. It is now my favorite RPG series. I REALLY need to pick up a PS3 for TOG F VERY soon!

GeoffZak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 GeoffZak
Member since 2007 • 3715 Posts

I love both, but I like Tales of the Abyss a little bit more because it has a better story.

Graces improved on the combat a whole lot, but that doesn't mean the Abyss has a bad battle system. Both battle systems are excellent.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Tales of Graces has better combat and that's it.

Tales of the Abyss has better characters.

Story-wise they're both kinda out there, as are all Tales game stories.

Tales of Vesperia kills them both in terms of the overall game. :P

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 NaveedLife

Bigboi500

Don't say that! I already beat Vesperia and I am hoping ToA (and ToG) can live up to it at least. ToS > ToV though, so if you disagree there, maybe I will disagree that ToV > ToA

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Bigboi500

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

NaveedLife

Don't say that! I already beat Vesperia and I am hoping ToA (and ToG) can live up to it at least. ToS > ToV though, so if you disagree there, maybe I will disagree that ToV > ToA

Tov>TotA>ToG>ToS>dirt>>>>>ToL in my opinion, so yeah I disagree. :P

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#12 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

[QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

Bigboi500

I keep hearing that TOL (Tales Of Legendia, I believe) is the worst one?

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Bigboi500

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

[QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

Metamania

Yeah in my opinion it is, easily. Simplest combat, unlikable characters, annoying music and unbalanced gameplay (even so for a Tales game).

optiplex7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 optiplex7
Member since 2006 • 738 Posts

I want to try abyss since finishing graces but I dunno if i can handle PS2 480i since there is no progressive scan for abyss. Is it difficult to read the text on a LCD?

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#15 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

[QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

Metamania

My biggest gripe with the game was the second arc of the game. They completely took out voice acting from it, and just recycled areas already explored during the first arc. I actually enjoyed playing through teh first arc, but the second one was just so bleh.