Surprised at PS1

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Zadira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Zadira
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

I was pretty surprised at the graphics on PS1, but maybe it's just the games I have for it.

My fav. game of all time was Zelda III: A Link to the Past and it had great graphics. I really loved it (still have it and fire it up from time to time... just love the rain at the beginning!!)

I have FF Origins (1 and2) and Legend of Dragoon and find the graphics somewhat underwhelming.

I k now FF is a remake but don't know why they wouldn't want improve (actually I remember the cut scenes as pretty cool... they seem rather sad now - of course I have a 42" LCD tv now... so maybe the magnefication contributes to it too! :) )

What do ya'll think?

Zady

FFuematsufan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#2 FFuematsufan
Member since 2007 • 574 Posts
I still enjoy them. even though some of the earlier games are box looking it still looks good to me.
Talldude80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#3 Talldude80
Member since 2003 • 6321 Posts

I was pretty surprised at the graphics on PS1, but maybe it's just the games I have for it.

My fav. game of all time was Zelda III: A Link to the Past and it had great graphics. I really loved it (still have it and fire it up from time to time... just love the rain at the beginning!!)

I have FF Origins (1 and2) and Legend of Dragoon and find the graphics somewhat underwhelming.

I k now FF is a remake but don't know why they wouldn't want improve (actually I remember the cut scenes as pretty cool... they seem rather sad now - of course I have a 42" LCD tv now... so maybe the magnefication contributes to it too! :) )

What do ya'll think?

Zady

Zadira

why bring up a 2-d snes game to compare to cd-based system that really introduced 3-d games more? Thats what makes the ps1 an improvement over cartridge consoles like the snes, genesis, etc. You could never get a game like Jet Moto, Twisted metal, or Air Combat to run on the limited cpu of a snes. But yeah, i see what you mean on a nice 42" lcd. My roomate's tv is a 42", and i played Gran Turismo this morning, and it looks pretty ugly compared to Forza2 on xbox360. But the 2d games for ps1 should look much better than 2-d Zelda games.

Chilled_AB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Chilled_AB
Member since 2008 • 568 Posts

I still enjoy them. even though some of the earlier games are box looking it still looks good to me.FFuematsufan

same realy, I don't judge a game by it's graphics but by how funm it is to play. I recenly played MGS and although it felt restrictive mainly because I have also played MGS2&3 but I still enjoyed the game. I am a very notalgic person and absolutely love retro games :)

PS1 graphics were mindblowing for it's time

Avatar image for Witchking111111
Witchking111111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 Witchking111111
Member since 2004 • 7094 Posts

Old PS sports games are still good to play every now and then. Even though the graphics aren't what they are today, gameplay is still good.

spanky333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 78

#7 spanky333
Member since 2004 • 885 Posts

I'm playing FFIV right now, and I am really enjoying the old school thing. The game play is really fast (no load time) and the graphics are really creative for what they are. I have laughed out loud at quite a few of the comedy moments, whereas maybe the more dramatic sequences are a little dated. They have really brought the RPG a long way since this game. It's awsome to appreicate the history while experiencing it.

skp_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8 skp_16
Member since 2005 • 3854 Posts

Graphics never gave me a hard time playing.

I look at games like this...story - gameplay - sounds - graphics

-INKling-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 -INKling-
Member since 2007 • 4237 Posts
A few months ago I finally finished Abe's Exoddus and thought it looked great.
jamestabang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#10 jamestabang
Member since 2005 • 832 Posts
For graphics, Vagrant Story (PS) was not so good. But everything else was great!
Avatar image for TheLegendKnight
TheLegendKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11 TheLegendKnight
Member since 2007 • 1853 Posts

For graphics, Vagrant Story (PS) was not so good. But everything else was great!jamestabang

i bet you had an eye operation at that time

check this again. Vagrant Story's graphics are still great today. I recently checked it on 27" and it was still amazing

jamestabang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#12 jamestabang
Member since 2005 • 832 Posts
Uhh.. At times, gaming sites see games through technical perception, but I see them as they appear at the TV screen. I also meant Vagrant Story's music, gameplay, and story were great. But really, the gameplay graphics are too chunky, if you haven't clearly noticed.
esb1118

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 esb1118
Member since 2007 • 2661 Posts

[QUOTE="jamestabang"]For graphics, Vagrant Story (PS) was not so good. But everything else was great!TheLegendKnight

check this again. Vagrant Story's graphics are still great today. I recently checked it on 27" and it was still amazing

Just because GS says it looks good doesn't mean it does
mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#14 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

um n64 brought more 3d games to the table thank you ,, oh also there is snes games that do look like n64 games,,,

ill list ones ive played

starfox

stunt race fx

dirt trax fx

jurassic park

, in fact if it were to go a little longer, nintendo would have released mario 64 on snes , using the super fx chip

and ps1 is only a 32 bit system not that much improvment over snes, thats why he compared the two n64 was the most powerful console at that time up until 1998 when dreamcast came along , so ya saying ps1 brought 3d games before any one else did is total bs,

stunt race fx was released in 1994 starfox i think 1993 as was dirt trax fx could be earlier , but ya, ps1 didnt hit markets until 1995 so thats well after stunt race fx ,, that was the first 3d game i played, oh and play no fear racing it looked similar to n64 versions of nascar

so you under estimating snes now, and i proved that already

never under estimate any consoles power just because it claims to be 16 bit doesnt mean it cant be better

as seen with snes

ps1 really didnt have many good 3d games, spyro and crash was all it had aside from the 2 driver games, the rest looked like beefed up saturn games, 32 bits isnt nothing compared to 64 ,, its been seen in many multiplatform games that ps1 lacked the power, as a result games like duke nukem total meltdown(available on pcs as duke nukem 3d and on n64 as duke nukem 64) looked inferior to it ,,

and hexen 64 also looked supierer then ps1 version as well as the world is not enough 007 , the only real good 3d games on ps1 are driver , spyro or crash everything else is done better on other consoles , oh and gran turismo , but in no way did ps1 invent 3d gaming

Avatar image for TheLegendKnight
TheLegendKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#15 TheLegendKnight
Member since 2007 • 1853 Posts
[QUOTE="TheLegendKnight"]

[QUOTE="jamestabang"]For graphics, Vagrant Story (PS) was not so good. But everything else was great!esb1118

Just because GS says it looks good doesn't mean it does

its not just because gs said it.

GamespotIGNRPGFan

GameVortex

FiringSquad review - graphics page

gameplanet

bleh i'm bored...

it had the best graphics of its time and yet you say "not good", you have definitely eye problem because same graphics style used in FFXII and its the best graphics of ps2.

southy787

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 southy787
Member since 2005 • 14571 Posts

Graphics are irrelevant to how much I enjoy a game.

Sure, it's 'cool' to see high quality graphics in a game, but if that's the only thing of merit (as has been the case with many releases in recent years) then it won't appeal to me.

I still play on my SNES and older console;, yes, the graphics do look dated, but it doesn't detract from the gaming experience, for me at least.