Surely someone else else agree's that Mario is Overrated?

• 102 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ps3gameplayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ps3gameplayer
Member since 2011 • 225 Posts

There is no deneying that the first Mairo games were revolutionary but the more Nintendo makes are just the same every time yet people seem to love it. Also these days i don't even see what is so special about these games, it just seems that people seem to love them just because they are Mario.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

They were great back in the day, and they're still great. Have you played SMG 1 & 2 and SM3DL tc?

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#3 ShadowsDemon
Member since 2012 • 10059 Posts
They're alright I guess...but really boring for me.
ps3gameplayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ps3gameplayer
They're alright I guess...but really boring for me.ShadowsDemon
exactly what i think, made worse by being copy and paste
IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#5 IndianaPwns39
Member since 2008 • 5037 Posts

You see a lot of people saying that Nintendo just releases the same Mario over and over, and that's just ridiculous. And which game are you referring to being a rehash, I wonder?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#6 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69943 Posts

The new ones are grossly overrated. Mario games used to be about level completion but now its star collecting and repeating the same levels multiple times. Galaxy 2 wasn't too bad with the repeating but its still not focused on level completion like the older games.

ps3gameplayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ps3gameplayer

You see a lot of people saying that Nintendo just releases the same Mario over and over, and that's just ridiculous. And which game are you referring to being a rehash, I wonder?

IndianaPwns39
New Super Mario Bros mainly
Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#8 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

Surely it isn't I. I can honestly say that Mario is the only franchise that's over 20 years old and still managed to be fresh and improve with each release

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
To some extent, sure, although I would consider the two Galaxy games and the more recent Mario 3D Land to be pretty damn fantastic. The New Super Mario Bros games are mediocre cash-ins, though. I can't believe the DS version (in particular) scored as high as it did.
Avatar image for VigilanteArtist
VigilanteArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 VigilanteArtist
Member since 2004 • 699 Posts

I loved Mario from SMB1 through SM64. I tried playing Galaxy a few years ago and couldn't play for more than an hour, it was so boring. I think it's just my taste that's changed, though.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44333 Posts
I don't think the Mario games are overrated at all. They have always maintained a very high level of excellence throughout it's 25+ years. That's an impressive feat by any stretch of the imagination.
MrNuttyboh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 MrNuttyboh
Member since 2008 • 137 Posts

haters gonna hate....

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
The idea that Nintendo "makes the same game every time" is erroneous to the point of being down right silly. You can think Mario is over rated, but at least come up with a legitimate reason as to why.
ps3gameplayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ps3gameplayer
The idea that Nintendo "makes the same game every time" is erroneous to the point of being down right silly. You can think Mario is over rated, but at least come up with a legitimate reason as to why.meetroid8
because they ARE the same every time, new super mario bros is more the same than ever, yet ign gives the gameplay a 10 why don't you give me a legitimate reason why they deserve all this praise while other games get bashed for mario problems
IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 IndianaPwns39
Member since 2008 • 5037 Posts

[QUOTE="IndianaPwns39"]

ps3gameplayer

New Super Mario Bros mainly

So one game? Have you played New Super Mario Bros? The game was a good mix and match of Mario history while giving fans a good 4 player co-op mode that was just really fun to play. If you don't like it that's fine, but saying Mario is a copy and paste franchise is downright wrong.

Avatar image for TheBlackKnight3
TheBlackKnight3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 TheBlackKnight3
Member since 2008 • 1586 Posts

[QUOTE="meetroid8"]The idea that Nintendo "makes the same game every time" is erroneous to the point of being down right silly. You can think Mario is over rated, but at least come up with a legitimate reason as to why.ps3gameplayer
because they ARE the same every time, new super mario bros is more the same than ever, yet ign gives the gameplay a 10 why don't you give me a legitimate reason why they deserve all this praise while other games get bashed for mario problems

New Super Mario Brothers has more to it than it looks.... the gameplay has many tweaks and the multiplayer that was added is really a fun twist on the gameplay. Have you played the game? What do you feel should have been changed? Just because a game copies characters and art style doesn't mean it's a carbon copy of a previous game.

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 arkephonic
Member since 2006 • 7221 Posts

Lets just say, Gamespot didn't give the new ones a 10 by accident.

http://www.gamespot.com/super-mario-galaxy-2/reviews/super-mario-galaxy-2-review-6263170/

According to Gamerankings, Galaxy 1 and 2 are the 2 highest rated games of this generation, 2nd and 3rd highest rated games of all time, behind only Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time.

http://www.gamerankings.com/browse.html

Overrated? Lol.....

ps3gameplayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ps3gameplayer

Lets just say, Gamespot didn't give the new ones a 10 by accident.

http://www.gamespot.com/super-mario-galaxy-2/reviews/super-mario-galaxy-2-review-6263170/

According to Gamerankings, Galaxy 1 and 2 are the 2 highest rated games of this generation, 2nd and 3rd highest rated games of all time, behind only Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time.

http://www.gamerankings.com/browse.html

Overrated? Lol.....

arkephonic
I never mentioned Gamespot gave any Mario a 10 (i know they did but i didn't mention it), i mentioned ign giving the gameplay section of New Super Mario Bros a 10
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#19 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
Calling Mario overrated is like saying pajamas are overrated. Are you MAD? xD
tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 tjricardo089
Member since 2010 • 7429 Posts

I do. Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 were awesome, but the rest of the series doesn't deserve all that hype.

xWoW_Rougex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 xWoW_Rougex
Member since 2009 • 2793 Posts

Personally I feel that Mario isn't holding up very well this generation for me. I'd take Ratchet and Clank any day because it has great gameplay and great cutscenes and "story", it feels like you're part of a Pixar movie. As for Mario, Mario Galaxy has excellent gameplay but a non-existant story and no actual cutscenes except baby-dialogue together with those little things that are aimed for babies. That's why I feel disappointed, the games feel too childish, like reading a childrens book, heck a baby-book even. To me, I just feel it doesn't hold up any longer, next gen they better start doing Ratchet and Clank style, aka Pixar movie style.

TJORLY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 TJORLY
Member since 2008 • 3298 Posts

As for Mario, Mario Galaxy has excellent gameplay but a non-existant story and no actual cutscenes except baby-dialogue together with those little things that are aimed for babies.xWoW_Rougex

This. I find it hard to get into the majority of the Mario games because of the lack of story, the Paper Marios and the RPGs being the rare exception. They dont need a huge, convoluted plot. Just something more complex than "Bowser kidnapped Peach again. Go rescue her."

Avatar image for almasdeathchild
almasdeathchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#23 almasdeathchild
Member since 2011 • 8922 Posts

for like 20 years it's been"b!tch gets kidnapped by a dragon turtle" fight patato mushroom things with feet some bombs,and i wont lie chain chomps are freaking awesome.

but yea......no.....we all know how the game will end anyway

Sali217

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Sali217
Member since 2012 • 1301 Posts

Due to the over saturization of shooters this generation any platformers will rank high simply due to them being different from the slew of samy games. Mario ranks high, Little big planet ranks high, so does rayman origins, the new jak and daxter rehash will rank high, even braid ranks high.

I do agree that mario doesn't exactly change up much anymore but personally I don't think it needs to. People are happy with the same old mario game with better graphics. There's really not much differnce between the new wii games and the old N64 ones but there doesn't need to be.

DARKNESSxEAGLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#25 DARKNESSxEAGLE
Member since 2010 • 489 Posts

There is no deneying that the first Mairo games were revolutionary but the more Nintendo makes are just the same every time yet people seem to love it. Also these days i don't even see what is so special about these games, it just seems that people seem to love them just because they are Mario.

ps3gameplayer

In terms of the gameplay, the changes are simply slight alterations to physics and additional/replacement power ups. It's almost solely down to level design now, similar to the differentiations between FPSes in general. Mario is, however, definitely losing its edge though, simply because it now targets particulaly young children, unlike before, when there was no specific age orentation. But you're right in saying that the franchise is over-rated, but it's still great.

ps3gameplayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ps3gameplayer

I do. Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 were awesome, but the rest of the series doesn't deserve all that hype.

tjricardo089
I haven't had the chance to play the galaxy ones but i don't see what the big deal is about the other ones
BurntWithWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 BurntWithWater
Member since 2012 • 47 Posts
I've never much enjoyed the 2d side-scrolling Mario games. I just find the "jump over crap while running to the right" gameplay very boring.
BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#30 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts

I think the main series has a lot of great games in it.

But I've never really been a fan of the character. And I hate all the spinoffs he's been in.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17844 Posts
the character? i couldnt care less about the character, world or story of mario games. he has also appeared in many terrible games and clearly cheap cash ins. even mario kart is a very very hit and miss series imho (kart 3D was just awful but kart DS was brilliant). the RPGs, though very solid, are also not brilliant. however the platformers, 2D and 3D varieties, remain great fun. the 3D games lack the sheer craziness of the older 2D platformers like 3 and world (though there getting back to it slowly) but they are still sublime. brilliant fun and up there with the best games of the gen imho. again though its not the world or story or character of mario that draws me to these games...its the gameplay and level design. it could be stick figure and his circular pals for all i care. but getting to the star or getting to the flap pole remains very entertaining.
Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

Super Mario World was the last Mario game i cared about.. im really burnt out on Mario games

soapman72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33 soapman72
Member since 2010 • 2714 Posts

Nope, Mario is acctualy the greatest thing to ever grace the universe since the dawn of man...

ps3gameplayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ps3gameplayer

Calling Mario overrated is like saying pajamas are overrated. Are you MAD? xDElann2008
Pajamas are overrated? don't you sleep in your gaming chair?

Euaggelistes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#35 Euaggelistes
Member since 2009 • 1826 Posts

Mario is untouchable if you like platformers because of excellent level design and pinpoint accurate control. If you want a game with a deep story you are really looking in the wrong place.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#36 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

[QUOTE="Elann2008"]Calling Mario overrated is like saying pajamas are overrated. Are you MAD? xDps3gameplayer

You mean commando style? :lol:
ps3gameplayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ps3gameplayer

Mario is untouchable if you like platformers because of excellent level design and pinpoint accurate control. If you want a game with a deep story you are really looking in the wrong place.

Euaggelistes

Your right about the pinpoint accurate control but i think the level design is bland and looks like nothing sorry, and of course you can't expect a deep story from a mario game but we shouldn't have to get the same one over and over either

ps3gameplayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ps3gameplayer

[QUOTE="ps3gameplayer"]

[QUOTE="Elann2008"]Calling Mario overrated is like saying pajamas are overrated. Are you MAD? xDElann2008

You mean commando style? :lol:

yeah who needs a bed :lol:

HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#39 HipHopBeats
Member since 2011 • 2850 Posts

I do agree that Nintendo is definitely milking the series. Mario 64 was the last one I played.

Conjuration

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Conjuration
Member since 2006 • 3562 Posts

The one Mario adventure that I've always thought was overrated beyond belief is Mario 64.
It's all right, but it's not the "holy-crap-in-your-pants" game the critics have been mindlessly pushing since it farted onto the market. And Susnhine wasn't for me either. But I did enjoy Galaxy. But not enough to get Galaxy 2.

Brown-9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Brown-9
Member since 2011 • 753 Posts

Overrated? Hardly.

It just seems that way when there's virtually no platformers left to challenge Mario's hold on the genre.

Now, individual games in the series are overrated compared to others. Namely Super Mario 64.

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#42 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

I haven't played a Mario game in a very long time but I've always thought of them as providing gamers with simple and undemanding fun which seems to be a rare thing in the days of complicated XBox and PC gaming.

Mawy_Golomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Mawy_Golomb
Member since 2008 • 1047 Posts
It really depends on the game that you're talking about. Spinoffs Mario titles can be pretty lacking and boring, I suppose. Likewise, one can say the same about some rehashes or sequels. So, in that sense, Mario can be overrated at times. Every franchise, I should say, falls into this range. As I pointed out in another thread, review scores really aren't that relevant; it's how you feel about a game's quality, and if it is enough to satisfy you or not. That's what really counts, not some arbitrary numbers game that's often played between "professional" critics.
El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts
Super Mario has been on the decline for years in my opinion. SM3DL was yet another attempt to recapture the magic in my mind, and while it was a decent game, it just didn't keep my attention and make me keep playing like other games have- I would play Samurai Warriors Chronicles for hours at a stretch, but Mario I could only take for 3 or 4 levels at a time before I was sick of it.
YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 YoshiYogurt
Member since 2010 • 6008 Posts
Each one brings something new to the table. I enjoy some more now than when I was younger. Mario somehow manages to keep it fresh every time for 30 years.
MathMattS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#46 MathMattS
Member since 2009 • 4012 Posts

I don't think Mario is overrated, as the main game series from Super Mario Bros. to Super Mario Galaxy 2 is a stream of consistently high-quality games.

ps3gameplayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 ps3gameplayer
It really depends on the game that you're talking about. Spinoffs Mario titles can be pretty lacking and boring, I suppose. Likewise, one can say the same about some rehashes or sequels. So, in that sense, Mario can be overrated at times. Every franchise, I should say, falls into this range. As I pointed out in another thread, review scores really aren't that relevant; it's how you feel about a game's quality, and if it is enough to satisfy you or not. That's what really counts, not some arbitrary numbers game that's often played between "professional" critics.Mawy_Golomb
'New' Super Mario Bros is the most overrated if you ask me, it was nearly exactly the same as previous games can it scored 9.0-9.5 yet other games (Tomb Raider Underworld in particular) get bashed for being similar to previous games even if they have a different story and levels.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Someone hasn't played the Galaxy games... quite obviously. I am getting sick and tired of people calling things "overrated" and even more sick of people talking about games they've never played as if they understand why people like/don't like them.
Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

surely someone else agrees that this kind of threads are dumb?

ps3gameplayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 ps3gameplayer
Someone hasn't played the Galaxy games... quite obviously. I am getting sick and tired of people calling things "overrated" and even more sick of people talking about games they've never played as if they understand why people like/don't like them.foxhound_fox
I'm not referring to Galaxy (and yes, i haven't played them), i'm mainly referring to New Super Mario Bros, the most overrated recycled, copy and paste piece of garbage i have ever played and why that gets critical acclaimed, other games have to pick up the garbage and get bashed for New Super Mario Bros problems.