Super Smash Bros. Melee turns 10 years old this month. Share your memories!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Superzone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 0

#1 Superzone
Member since 2004 • 3733 Posts

Happy 10th birthday to SSBM!

File:Super Smash Bros Melee box art.png

Alright, so if you're like me, Super Smash Bros. Melee is one of the greatest video games ever made, and arguably the best game for that little purple Nintendo cube. Me, my friends, and my little brother have put so many hours into this game over the last 10 years that it's not even funny. This game will always hold a special place in my heart.

Please, share your memories of this awesome game to celebrate such a great milestone! Tell us your favorite character, your favorite stage, and your favorite memory from this beloved game!

I'll start with mine:

Favorite character: Mewtwo

Favorite stage: Corneria

Favorite memory: While there are simply far too many to share, I think it's best to start with the first one. I'll never forget the day that my older brother bought a Gamecube (June 2, 2002. Yeah, I even remember the date :D ). We immediately went out and rented SSBM since we didn't have enough money to buy a game yet. We got home, opened up the Gamecube, and plugged that sucker in. Then we popped in SSBM, and my world forever changed. My little brother and I played our first match on Corneria. I chose Bowser, and he chose Ice Climbers. That one simple match would begin a 10 year long love for this game.

Share your memories! And of course, go play some SSBM to celebrate!

Avatar image for silentnightmere
silentnightmere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 silentnightmere
Member since 2009 • 1520 Posts
Fav Character is probably jigglypuff. I always loved the abiblity to steal the other persons move for a bit. Either him or Capt. Falcon. Fav stage ?? Thats a toughie. LOL JK its the pokemon stadium. :D Fav memory is the day I bought it (and same day i got the cube) i stayed up a whole day to play it. I didnt leave my bean bag chair for 24 hours :] I was banned from playin for few days from my parents. I might have to buy a new cube and this game :]
gamefreak197

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 157

#3 gamefreak197
Member since 2009 • 146 Posts

Favorite character: Bowser

Favorite Stage: Brinstar (if only for the music)

Favorite memory: While spending countless great hours with my family playing this game is a good enough memory, meeting crazy hand for the first time was rather memorable since it caught me off guard whenever the action stopped and he showed up out of nowhere. I didn't know how I unlocked that battle at the time (strangely enough I was playing as Peach when that happened).

munkeypoo45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4 munkeypoo45
Member since 2008 • 3221 Posts

Favorite character: fox/marth

Favorite stage: Corneria

Memory: hmmmm just playing hours upon hours of this game with friends.

Avatar image for FamousVampire68
FamousVampire68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 FamousVampire68
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
I miss Mewtwo. :( Favorite character: Mewtwo Favorite stage: Hyrule temple
SpikeyAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SpikeyAss
Member since 2011 • 221 Posts

Fav character: Marth, but I also enjoy using Falco and Sheik

Fav stage: Congo Jungle

Fav memory: Winning my first tournament as a kid

Fav Character is probably jigglypuff. I always loved the abiblity to steal the other persons move for a bit. silentnightmere

The character you're thinking of is Kirby.

Spacewolf29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 Spacewolf29

Fav character: Pichu (yeah :D) also played a lot with link and samus

Fav stage: Probably Temple and cornelia

Fav memory: Playing this game for first time at my friend in Belgium, he also invited two of his local friends to play so melee was actually the first game I played with three other persons at the same time= AWESOME.Oh and finally beating giga bowser for the first time, that boss was just insane!

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

i have none...never found anyone to play with..

Avatar image for Stunneronureyez
Stunneronureyez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Stunneronureyez
Member since 2010 • 506 Posts

Could someone remind me what that mission is called where you have to defeat something like 1000 of those generic purple characters in order to unlock someone else? I think it was an event match, but I cannot really remember. It used to drive me insane.

Rovelius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10 Rovelius
Member since 2006 • 3252 Posts

Favorite character: Samus

Favorite stage: Big Blue

Favorite memory: Reaching somewhere around 750 kills in Endless Multi-man Melee. THAT GUITAR FROM MULTI-MAN MELEE 1...:cry:

HaloPimp978

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#11 HaloPimp978
Member since 2005 • 7329 Posts

OMG that's crazy 10 years old! I still have the game so many good times.

Favorite Stage: Brinstar and Pokemon Stadium

Favorite Characters: Captain Falcon, Fox, Mewto, Young Link, Sheik,Samus and Roy

Branmuffin316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 Branmuffin316
Member since 2009 • 1208 Posts

Favorite Stage: Great Bay

Favorite Character: Young Link

Can't really remember anything specific but I used to play it a lot with my brother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13 AvatarMan96
Member since 2010 • 7324 Posts

Favorite Character: Link or Roy

Favorite Stage: Corneria

Best moment: playing the game :P

Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 Shenmue_Jehuty
Member since 2007 • 5211 Posts

Favorite Character: Pikachu

Favorite State: Hyrule Castle

Like you TC, my favorite memory of this game involves the first time I ever played it. I went to a Christmas party at one of my dad's neighbor's house and my little brother was really good friends with one of their kids. I remember getting off of work from McDonalds and going over there, and there were like 6 or 7 kids ranged 6 to 17 in the basement playing the gamecube my brother's friend just got. He received waverace bluestorm and SSBM, and while all the adults got wasted and stuffed their faces, us kids smashed until probably 1am or so. It was simply awesome and so much fun, however I didn't get up getting a Gamecube for about another year and I didn't end up getting SSBM for about another year after that. Still, the game sits snuggly in my game library and I love popping it in from tike to time and getting some sweet nostalgia from playing it.

Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#15 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

We never played the original, by the time it came out, all of my friends and me had moved on to Sega Dreamcast. I didn't have Gamecube last-gen, I actually bought my Gamecube only a couple years back. So when I first played it, I was a noob playing at someone else's house where he and his friends played it constantly. So naturally, I got my butt handed to me as any noob does in that game. So my first few experiences in the game were sour, and I didn't like it. Heck, most of the time I was playing, I was still trying to just kick their butts and thought being knocked off the edge was "cheap". At first, I didn't even realize getting your enemy knocked off the edge was the goal.

But now that I own my own Gamecube I picked up Melee for cheap and have really enjoyed it. Great fighting game, and fantastic fan-service to longtime fans of Nintendo. I especially loved the addition of the adventure mode (or whatever it was called) where you actually played through platforming levels with your fighting-character.

CrimzonTide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 CrimzonTide
Member since 2007 • 12187 Posts
Character: Young Link Stage: Hyrule Temple Memory: Playing a 4 person, 99 live game that ended up coming down to a 1 life each showdown...Probably put more hours into this game than any other. For my money, there's never been a better party classic.
Superzone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Superzone

Could someone remind me what that mission is called where you have to defeat something like 1000 of those generic purple characters in order to unlock someone else? I think it was an event match, but I cannot really remember. It used to drive me insane.

Stunneronureyez
I actually can't quite remember either. I probably did that mission years ago :P
NintendoFan22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 NintendoFan22
This is really a DON'T MAKE ME CHOOSE kind of thing. I mean there are so many great characters, so many great stages, so many great memories that I don't think I can really narrow it down to 1. I mean, when it comes to the stages, Hyrule Temple and Poke Floats are two that come to mind. As far as the characters, I love Yoshi, Pikachu, Zelda, Roy (COME BACK) and Mario. I mean all the characters are cool.. man this is hard to choose. As far as the memoires go, I had more good memories with this game than any other game. I got it as a gift for Christmas 2001 along with Luigi's Mansion so it was one of the first two Gamecube games I played and I have to say that I couldn't put it down. I was so epic, a huge step up from the first one. I can't even begin to imagine how much hours I got with that one game. And if you told me to choose my favorite game of all time, I might just pick Melee honestly. Truly epic game! Awesome memoires playing it from Christmas to New Years and MANY MANY days after that! :)
silentnightmere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 silentnightmere

Fav character: Marth, but I also enjoy using Falco and Sheik

Fav stage: Congo Jungle

Fav memory: Winning my first tournament as a kid

[QUOTE="silentnightmere"]Fav Character is probably jigglypuff. I always loved the abiblity to steal the other persons move for a bit. SpikeyAss

The character you're thinking of is Kirby.

OOPS. lol Man I haven't played the game in years. Thanks for the correction though. Loved Kirby though.
Los9090

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#20 Los9090
Member since 2004 • 7288 Posts
Boy that's frightening that it has already been 10 years.
Superzone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Superzone
Boy that's frightening that it has already been 10 years.Los9090
I know, it's ridiculous. Seems like it was only yesterday that I was holding that Gamecube controller for the first time and playing Melee...
DSmon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 DSmon
Member since 2009 • 2220 Posts

Yesterday I went and played a round of SSBM after reading about this news. The game is still amazing.

Favorite Charcter: Ness, pikachu

Favorite Stage: Cornia, Pokemon stadium

Favorite Memory: Playing 99 stock battles with Ness against 3 CPUs at level 9. That is how I used to train to best my cousin who also had the game. :P

usermikey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#23 usermikey
Member since 2008 • 506 Posts

On SSBM I liked Link, Samus, Fox. But Marth was good to since, he is like one of the better characters......

CrimsonBrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#24 CrimsonBrute  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 25603 Posts
Favorite character: Zelda Favorite Stage: Hyrule Castle Favorite Memory: Finally having enough money to buy both a GC and SSB
King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#25 King9999
Member since 2002 • 11837 Posts

Favourite character: Ganondorf (standing A for life!)

Favourite stage: Hyrule Castle

There's no moment that's particularly memorable, but it's great just to be able to play the game with some friends at any time and always have a blast.

SpikeyAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SpikeyAss

On SSBM I liked Link, Samus, Fox. But Marth was good to since, he is like one of the better characters......

usermikey

Fox is one of the best characters too.

silentnightmere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 silentnightmere

[QUOTE="usermikey"]

SpikeyAss

Man I loved Fox's level. Fox too, his moves were quick and fast. Loved it. I always remember getting caught on the bottom side of the jet and not knowing how to get back up -_-
Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#28 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

I remember playing the game at a friend's hosue. I loved playing as Young Link and Mewtwo. Then I got the game myself, and unlocked most of the stuff for it. However, my data was somehow deleted twice, but I didn't mind. I loved playing the game and still do. Much like Brawl, I will occasionally pop this in to play with friends. (I may even try to get my GF into Super smash Brothers. I'll have to go easy on her though. :p) I love the game to death, and that love will never die. There are too many memories.

Just because I can say this, I think Melle and Brawl are about equal in terms of quality, but in different ways.

lensflare15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 lensflare15
Member since 2010 • 6652 Posts

Favorite Character: Donkey Kong or Link

Favorite Stage: DK Jungle Japes

Favorite Memory: I first played it at a friends house during his birthday party. We were all having somewhat of a tournament, and I sucked at first. After everybody else left, I started practicing until I could beat everybody there just about. Had so much fun I stayed up just about all night playing it... A few years later I got the game for Christmas, which is another great memory.

bobcheeseball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#30 bobcheeseball
Member since 2007 • 9316 Posts
Sheik in Hyrule Temple! Love this game to pieces. I love Brawl too.
RACiEP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 RACiEP
Member since 2010 • 687 Posts
Aww...I remember having loads of fun with this game at a friend's house. I also remember being so disappointed when I found out that there was no SSBM for PS2. D:
Superzone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Superzone
[QUOTE="SpikeyAss"]

[QUOTE="usermikey"]

silentnightmere

Man I loved Fox's level. Fox too, his moves were quick and fast. Loved it. I always remember getting caught on the bottom side of the jet and not knowing how to get back up -_-

Ha, I totally remember the first time I got stuck on those guns underneath the cockpit of the ship. I remember thinking "holy crap, you can stand down here?". Then I somehow destroyed the guns and fell to my death lol
usermikey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#33 usermikey
Member since 2008 • 506 Posts

I sort of, always felt that Marth & Roy (mostly Marth) were almost unbeatable if the opponent player was good them due to their counter move. Wether it was a ranged attck. or physical hit...

silentnightmere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 silentnightmere

[QUOTE="silentnightmere"][QUOTE="SpikeyAss"]

Superzone

Ha, I totally remember the first time I got stuck on those guns underneath the cockpit of the ship. I remember thinking "holy crap, you can stand down here?". Then I somehow destroyed the guns and fell to my death lol

Yea it was wild as hell. Ahh How I miss this game.

Avatar image for Banjo_Kongfooie
Banjo_Kongfooie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Banjo_Kongfooie
Member since 2007 • 3838 Posts

Anyone else dislike the roster replacements that brawl gave?

metwo > lucario

roy > ike and marth

imo pichu and dr mario were cool

toon link > young link though

SpikeyAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 SpikeyAss

metwo > lucario

roy > ike and marth

Banjo_Kongfooie

I do, but in my opinion the additional characters more than make up for it.

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#37 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
Used to love the game. Fav char was probably Pikachu. Stages were Hyrule Castle and Brinstar.
Superzone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Superzone

metwo > lucario

roy > ike and marth

Banjo_Kongfooie
I was ok with losing Young Link, since Toon Link is basically the same idea. But I definitely miss Mewtwo, my favorite character in Melee :( Lucario is pretty awesome, but he's no Mewtwo. I was also a little sad that Brawl dumped Roy too. I love Ike and everything, but Roy was a tough loss. If anything, I thought he should have been replaced by Eliwood from FE7 (his father, who is also the main character in the first North America FE game for those that don't know). As for Pichu and Dr. Mario, I would have preferred that they stayed, but not huge losses there, since we still obviously have Mario and Pikachu.
silentnightmere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 silentnightmere
I loved Mr. Game and Watch too !!! I forgot all about him till a few minutes ago.
SpikeyAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 SpikeyAss

I loved Mr. Game and Watch too !!! I forgot all about him till a few minutes ago. silentnightmere

I never liked his stage though.

silentnightmere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 silentnightmere

[QUOTE="silentnightmere"]I loved Mr. Game and Watch too !!! I forgot all about him till a few minutes ago. SpikeyAss

I never liked his stage though.

What Stage was his ? I can't remember
SpikeyAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 SpikeyAss

Here's his stage .

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

Favorite Character: Link

Favorite Stage: Final Destination

Favorite Event Match: The one where Captain Falcon has to run.

silentnightmere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 silentnightmere

Here's his stage .

SpikeyAss
Wow of all the years I played Melee. I NEVER remember seeing that.
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#45 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
I usually picked Link. Corneria's alright, but I liked Hyrule and Pokemon stadium.